We are in the process of building a civilisation that we are literally too stupid to understand and maintain...

We are in the process of building a civilisation that we are literally too stupid to understand and maintain. And at the same time we are building this incredibly complicated civilisation that we don't understand filled with incredibly complex structures that we can't even begin to understand, we are in the process of dumbing down the majority of the human race with the uninhibited access to the internet and television so that humans now value basically everything in terms of entertainment value, from politics to war to religion.
And it's not even a conspiracy, because that would mean someone knew what they were doing. We've literally reached the limits of what our monkey brains can understand. And the other thing is, that the systems we are beginning to gradually lose control of are so incredibly powerful that the failure of them could eliminate all life on the planet.

The human race is doomed

theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2017/09/saving-the-world-from-code/540393/
>Our standard framework for thinking about engineering failures—reflected, for instance, in regulations for medical devices—was developed shortly after World War II, before the advent of software, for electromechanical systems. The idea was that you make something reliable by making its parts reliable (say, you build your engine to withstand 40,000 takeoff-and-landing cycles) and by planning for the breakdown of those parts (you have two engines). But software doesn’t break. Intrado’s faulty threshold is not like the faulty rivet that leads to the crash of an airliner. The software did exactly what it was told to do. In fact it did it perfectly. The reason it failed is that it was told to do the wrong thing. Software failures are failures of understanding, and of imagination.

1/2

Humans were always too stupid to understand/control society.

Same as it ever was. That's the reason history is filled with blood.... and that's not going to change.

2/2
Do yo even realise that there isn't a human being alive who can even begin to conceptualise the software that runs a standard car. Not at a basic level. It's just impossible for any human being to hold a hundred million lines of code in their head. Not even an abstract of that.
And now consider that the only thing preventing runaway meltdowns of nuclear power plants are lines of code, or that stop the particles from touching the wall at CERN is code, and you'll realise how utterly fucked we are. We're utterly fucked. We're irredeemably fucked. The human race at this point can't be saved. Ted Kaczynski was right. He was completely right.

Think about it like an engine. And that engine has a hundred million moving parts. And those moving parts interact with each other all the time. Sometimes in weays they are supposed to and sometimes not. But the only way we can tell they're interacting in a way they're not supposed to is when they do it in such a way that the entire engine breaks. And now imagine that this fantasitically complex engine is invisible.
Do you see the problem? No human, no team of human can ever build such an engine properly. The best they can do is hash it together and test it until it more or less doesn't break immediately.

THIS IS NO WAY TO RUN AN ADVANCED TECHNOLOGICAL CIVILISATION!

You realize that with the internet, if you truly wanted, like for real, you could learn things.

This isn't about society. This is about the technological systems that control the things we do. The cars we drive, the planes we fly. We are not in control anymore.

I could learn to hold a hundred million lines of code in my head, and conceptualise how they would all interact together?

Seems unlikely.

what's your problem? genetic engineering combined with technological enhancements is the future

>What are art supplies

just put it to paper and if it has any value it will stick around whether you remember it or not.

that's not a meaningful comparison. it's always been this way. the whole of society benefit from the advancements of the tiny few

>This isn't about society. This is about the technological systems that control the things we do. The cars we drive, the planes we fly. We are not in control anymore.

This is just an expression of one aspect of society. We never were in control. We're riding the lightning, and we'll continue to do so in the future.

can somebody please finally explain the origins of this "If only you knew how bad things really are" quote to me like I'm five years old!?

thanks.

Disagree, the tiny few benefit from the advancements of the many. trial and error occurs by sheer numbers, then the cream is skimmed off the top.

civilization*

>not plugging your brain into the computer for a regular update of all things pop culture and where the riots are so you can avoid them on your way to the recycling factory

>he doesn't know how bad things really are

How are you getting to here from the OP? Do you have a limited number of set responses and you're trying to get to one of those set piece responses?

I'm talking about the technological aspect of civilisation. The cars we drive. The nuclear plants that generate power. The methods of communication we have. The banking finance systems that dominate so much of our attention.

>We never were in control.
INCORRECT!! When an engineer before designed an engine, it might have a dozen moving parts but he would understand completely how they worked, wheat they did and how they interacted with the other moving parts.
Digitalisation is a two step process, one it's a rtunaway complexity, that no human can ever pretend to understand and two, it simultaneously dumbs down the general population.

This is nothing new. Humans are adapted to magical thinking. You don't have to understand how something works to know what it does.

>the human race is doomed

Of course it is. All the symptoms of governmental paralysis, societal stagnation that were present in the Roman Empire are present now in our respective States. The only difference is the Romans didn't have a automation life support to keep things going for a few more years.

Increasingly our solution is to use automation to do what humans cannot or will not do.

High volume high frequency trading, algorithmic programming and design, weather simulation, data entry and analysis and of course manufacturing.

The Capitalists will one day replace every human with machines our dystopian societies are so bereft of values and principles that the most cogent argument for political action are slogans like "we can do it" or "the time is now". If you asked them WHY? The normies would mumble some self contradictory appeal to emotion non-answer or regurgitate the talking points given to them.

The future is not bright, it really isn't.

True redpill: all this technology culiminating in AI is the method that Lucifer is going to use to achieve world domination. While Ted was right, he missed the picture, which is spiritual.

Honestly as bad as the internet is and as bad as technology is, I can't stop using it, I'm completely a slave to a fucking machine, all of us are. We need to turn back to God to slowly de-brainwash ourselves from the machine.

Call me a schizo or whatever. I just have a strong feeling that whatever force is driving all this progress is nefarious, it's a spirit of evil and wickedness that is behind all this. Just look at who the greatest champions of progressivism are - they're all neoliberal globalists and they're all fucking downright demonic.

what is distribution of labor? how is this any different than earlier civilizations, did everyone know how to make pottery, ferment wine, butcher and prepare meat, build structures, forge tools? no

Lad the more I try and critically examine the society we live and the future society that we're creating the more I realize that we're already living in a dystopia. It's truly mad.

Enlish spelling init burgerman. Burgers spell it with a z

Its settled we're doomed.

I don't think there is a way to advocate a solution to fix it anymore. The only thing I bother now is to be aware and make sure to sit on the sidelines watching it crash and burn.

The end game is replacement of people with cyborgs. The method is to eliminate all collective traits to make this easier

Lurk moar.

And unfortunately the only solution is Gobbudisb.
We need to redistribute the riches, replace all human hands with automations and mand an AI follow population trends.
The earth is dying. We killed it because we only cared about ourselves and forgot about God.
What happened to the 7 deadly sins? How come so many americans believe and yet indulge in such gluttony and avarice.
The rapture is coming alright, but that is going to be mass extinction, not some fairy tale, if we don't do shit.

(((Ray Kurzweil))) is a very well known futurist, prophet of transhumanism and head of tech @ Google, he believes that we'll all connect our minds to the cloud. Essentially we'll become merged with the super AI. Elon Musk says we'll also need to connect to some form of AI to compete with the machines, I think this will be the first step, which will basically make humanity open to connecting with the super AI. It's all really mad but none of this is far-fetched anymore. Thankfully I'll be dead before all these things culimate.

sounds awesome to me

Never read/saw a Ghost in the Shell?
Transhumanism really sounds bad to me.

We never were, are, or will be in control.

But why bother? We don't have to! Most of civilizations will fall because of those runaway forces crushing them, dooming billions of people - but some won't, and that's how life works!

I learned html and then i realized how fucked we are, so i started shitposting on how fucked we are. on a site i dont even fully understand. As long as i can program my domotics, and my house is comfy warm and lighted. Why should i care that nuke plants melt down, i got solar panels.

It might sound awesome if you're a kike or a chink with no soul. For those of us who are human, we kind of value of humanity.

The barbarian horde is already inside the Empire user. You're just waiting for Adrianople before everything goes to shit.

Coder here, you do not need to be specifically familiar with all million lines of code to understand how a software package works retard, much like language and writing more generally writing out x lines of code is usually just a verbose method of encoding an idea that exists as a single unit in one's head. The 1,000 lines of the US Constitution are "the Constitution", much like the 25,000 lines of code for the function that establishes secure socket connections is just a function that establishes secure socket connections

How is transhumanism not human? Any human device and product is human, an AI-molded collective consciousness would be the extension of humanity as well.

No but someone knew how to do those things. Noone however now knows how to write a program for a car, for example. It's done by teams of people, who fuck up a LOT.

you don't understand what Kaczynski believed or wanted. Your understanding of "Industrial Society and It's Future" is facile. Kaczynski welcomes the breakdown of society, the dismantling of the technology that sustains us. He is an absolutist who believes any level of technology and civilization inexorably leads to further progression and dehumanization. A situation where humans can no longer fix their complex technology due to loss or lack of knowledge is, in fact, his goal.

chessmaster cucked by scrub program. Kasparov shitposting?

>he believes that we'll all connect our minds to the cloud. Essentially we'll become merged with the super AI.

Sounds like a good way to get a bunch of idiots to unwittingly kill themselves on suicide machines.

Anything which impedes free thought is deeply perverse. And that will be the case in the black "utopia" they want to create

>chessmaster cucked by scrub program.
One human solution overcoming the previous one in both quality and quantity. That's called progress.

Sounds gud bro, can i check my gmeil in 4d?

>You don't need to worry about every single line goy! Let the experts deal with it
This is why we are doomed. Acquiescence to mediocrity.

Why the fuck do you think it took so damn long and so many damn debates arguing over every damn clause in the Constitution if the importance of it all was just "understanding how it works"?

Why bother with detail? Just had the words MUH CONSTITUTION and be done with it.

Again that's always been the case since division of labor began. We use communication with others and collaborative work to understand things collectively, encapsulate things. You know this is true of cars programming, for example, since they work.

This desu, but stop saying "code".

Software does break. Its called bugs. Bugs can happen from physical degredation of the computer system it occupies.

Turner diaries IIRC, then some larp fbi user used it

Do you think about all the physical interactions of the particles in your foot hitting the particles on the floor every time you take a step? Face it, you're just a brainlet who can't understand the concept of abstraction.

im too autistic i wanna know every little cogwheel.

>since they work
Until the code fucks up and suddenly the brakes don't respond and a woman comes off the motorway at 110mph and spends the rest of her lif paralysed from the neck down, which actually happened.
If they can't build something as simple as a car, how can we trust them to build code that won't for example send a particle into the wall at the Large Hadron Collider and engulf Europe in a fireball?

>who cares about detail we just want the goals!
The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

Sounds like we need Standard Template Constructs. With STCs, we'll be able to appease any machine-spirit.

>Do yo even realise that there isn't a human being alive who can even begin to conceptualise the software that runs a standard car

You are retarded.

What rubbish. Show me a man who can hold every single part of a modern car in his head and conceptualize its function.

You said that engineers rely on parts which are tested and certified to specific standards.

Software works the same. No complex modern devices are made solely by one man. Thats why modern engineering is about breaking things down into manageable parts, each handled by a specific person or group in a multidisciplinary team.

In order to understand how a car works you dont need to retain every single part in your head like some human photocopier. Neither do you need to memorize 100 million lines of code. Its enough to know what the code does and how.

Just because society is full of brainlets like you who think of technology like its mysticism, doesnt mean everyone is like you.

>It's just impossible for any human being to hold a hundred million lines of code in their head. Not even an abstract of that.
>Not even an abstract of that.
Yeah, no. You're a fucking idiot.

>we need to break it into little parts so the experts can handle it and nobody else needs to worry about it

You'd make a fine bureaucrat.

Codemonkeys will always make more money than us, the people who actually build the assets we use in society, worked hvac doing AC, electrician, dry walling, did metal framing, tile and shingle roofing, insulation, flooring (tile, wood, engineered), etc. worked on military bases, power plants, sky rises, commercial and residential.

Got nothing to show for it and in regards to bragging rights nobody gives a fuck. Your intelligence is mocked online more often than not for working a trade and youll get paid less than a soyboy sitting in a cubicle despite the constant hype that pay is good

I know who builds civilization, and I know the kind of people with enough intestinal fortitude to uphold the standards that keep society from degrading. strong egos vs weak egos (a play on sigmund freuds take on civilization)

I can think of some old timers who know more about how this world functions and the relationships in it than any person with a phd born after 1960

culture will forever be the biggest obstacle not technology

Becoming familiar with Hypertext Markup Language is what lead you to "realize how fucked we are"? Really? Is this some kind of 8D parchisi trolling by Sup Forums or something?

>Its enough to know what the code does and how.
But unless you can hold a hundred millions of code in your head (you can't) the how is completely beyond you.

Ride the tiger. Checked.

Civilization and community are born from individuals coming together to share and trade resources, shelter, ideas, manpower and protection. That said, both the community and the individual face the same problem of being a consciousness housed in finite matter, experiencing an infinitely expanding universe, and faced with this quandary, we are beset with the task of saving ourselves and giving purpose to life in order to justify the inescapable suffering that we are yoked to by virtue of existing.

It's a cosmic game of the mosquito biting the iron bull, to do what you know must be done in spite of the odds being insurmountable. Almost everyone and everything loses.

The winners become God.

Ted Kaczynski was exposed to some of the most radical left wing ideology on the UC Berkley Campus. But none of that seemed to have affected Ted Kaczynski or so we thought.

Ted in his manifesto attributed leftism to two growing psychological problems in modern society. Oversocialization and feelings of inferiority.

Leftist were too socialized to be ok with their sinful thoughts or undesirable behaviors; leading to suppression of those naughty thoughts and impulses.

Whereas they also suffer from feelings of inferiority; a sense of worthlessness, self-hatred, depressive tendencies etc. They often try to sympathize or identify with groups of people they deem or historically were deemed inferior, such as women, black people, Native Americans, homosexuals, etc.

you will be a slave to the machine. Every secret thought that makes you you used for marketting and manipulation it'd be hell. The mark of the beast will be a microchip

so Matrix was not "fiction" at the end

all connected to some kind of network, it does not matter what is reality because you can't tell the difference anyway, exploited but also taken care by some kind of dark forces...

AI is death of humanity. Most of us will get genocided, the rest will merge into AI until AI doesn't need it anymore. Technological progress doesn't make people more happy. Earth is dying because of technological progress and capitalism.

The only hope for human race would be someone please built THE ARK and let's leave plan Earth to start over again.