Jesus Christ, Sasami! What did they do to you!?

Jesus Christ, Sasami! What did they do to you!?

Better than the last Sasami

She still looks pretty. I like the new designs.

I need more Ayeka.

you are an user after my own heart

The few, the proud. The Ayekafags.

>information for new OVA comes out
>Ai Tenchi Muyo completely ignored in every possible way other than Rui Tanabe getting hired again and character designs go back to ye old ancient times
Clearly attracting new fans wasn't even considered as a possibility

New fans shouldn't automatically have to have "modern" preferences for something. If they don't like what the Tenchi Universe has to offer, then they just don't like it and there are other anime and manga that better suit their "modern" tastes.

Semper Princess

Well at this point I think it's pretty apparent that the OVA is being made for no one but the benefit of the author at this point. Im a fan an everything but both this one and OVA 3 are decades too late and probably won't progress the story worth a damn at all. I don't even remember what happened in OVA 3. Something about that Z asshole?

Well I don't really disagree with you but in so far as the OVA series is concerned it can be a bit hard to just jump in the deep end this far after the fact.

I'd agree in the sense that modernizing for the sake of modernizing is shit, but Ai Tenchi Muyo's designs were outright really good while these are just retro for the sake of it.

It's not a big deal, nothing wrong with pandering to your target audience.

>but Ai Tenchi Muyo's designs were outright really good

Ryoko looks awful.

>nothing wrong with pandering to your target audience.

There is when it comes at the expense of people who actually support your work. Ai's shitting all over Tenchi and what makes it work for what? Tourism? To get fans who don't care to start with?

And I know Tenchi was never shy about fan service but I feel like we used to be above the kind of crap Momo pulls

I mean the target audience is the long time fans you sperg

Yeah except the new designs DON'T pander to the long time audience. They're the last ones being pandered too here. That's why the OVA4 designs went back to the old look

I was obviously talking about OVA4.

True, but if they're using old characters, expositions would be in order either way, so even if you're a new fan, you're entering a universe that's been long established, even if Ai Tenchi is mainly about new girls.

I don't agree with you about the design part, but to each their own. Honestly, the new girls should just get their own series away from Tenchi or something, they just seem like...I don't know. I am not a fan of them.

>Honestly, the new girls should just get their own series away from Tenchi or something, they just seem like...I don't know. I am not a fan of them.

It's the Tenchi in Tokyo problem but amplified. Fans come into see Ryoko, Ayeka, Mihoshi etc. Not some shitty new girl sucking up all the screen time. And Tokyo was just one girl, Ai has 7 on top of being 4 minute shorts so for entire episodes we won't even so much as mention of the people we came here to see. Instead we get a bunch of OH SO WACKY LITERAL WHOS who have no real relationship to the world we actually give a fuck about.

I guess my thing is watching Ai that's really obvious but for some reason I wish there was an actual point to it rather than just wishing it didn't exist. It retconned like 90% of itself out of existence anyways.

It was more than anything incredibly boring

When is OVA 4 supposed to drop anyways? I thought there was supposed to be some October screening

man why is it so hard to get a thread going for 22 year old anime

>22 year old anime

That's one contributing reason. Even though it's getting a revival.

I never thought the new girl was the real problem of Tenchi in Tokyo. Sure, she is forced down our throat like a Mary Sue, but the real reason it's so bad iis because it's so fucking boring. That show was a nightmare.

Hopefully OVA4 will be better than 3

There's always trouble introducing new girls. Sakuya sucked, Noike and Tennyo where sloppy the Ai girls where bland all across the board.

The only one that really worked was Kiyone and that's largely do to her having zero interest in Tenchi romantically and functioning mostly as a foil for Mihoshi.

>When is OVA 4 supposed to drop anyways?
I think on the 30th.

> but the real reason it's so bad iis because it's so fucking boring

I dunno how you can say this when the majority of the show had all the girls doing wacky fucking shit 24/7. In fact everything was off-the-rails crazy.

>Dem leggings
>Dem boots

I just wanna kiss up and down Kiyone's thighs. Goddamn she had some boner-inducing outfits. Although I think Mihoshi came first in the fashion department; she always wore nice ass clothing.

>In fact everything was off-the-rails crazy.

On paper it seems like that and it was silly but the monster of the week format just kind of got old fast. I get they where making it for a younger audience probably but the formula quickly ran dry and the villains where generally mostly lame.

Will say I dug Ryoko's threads though

>Although I think Mihoshi came first in the fashion department; she always wore nice ass clothing.
Mihoshi's the only one that has both contemporary and variation in her clothes.
Ayeka and Sasami are always in kimonos, and Ryoko has a dress or two.
Washu and Noike dress fairly normally, but they only have one outfit, it seems.
And Mihoshi's the only one with a job.

>Will say I dug Ryoko's threads though

Especially the date episode, dude. I never imagined Ryoko wearing a ponytail would be so hot.

Yeah, Mihoshi didn't really have anything iconic that she wore, maybe aside from that pink turtleneck. But I'm surprised Ayeka and Sasami feel the need to wear their royal outfits within' the household area; after all this time you'd think they'd chill out and wear comfier clothes.

needs more headband

Yes.

I have a lack in Kiyone pics.

>animator was caught and fired before he could finish pron
>only made off with a short clip of ayaeka sucking off tenchi

I have some but in general it's hard to find art of older shows these days. Any art that anyone bothers to upload rangers from fuck awful to just having a FOR ANTS resolution

I'm sorry, hows that again? I need to know for umm..research

Ahhh that sucks. Next to Ryoko, Kiyone is my favorite gal. She's quite grounded as a character.

You can find it easy. It's only really like a couple of frames, nothing too crazy.

But that pixel art of Ayeka naked looked nice as fuck.

space pimping ain't easy

I feel like there used to be a better archive of this shit than minitokyo

I love how they started off with a blood feud and looking for a reason to kill each other, then ended up being like sisters.

The scene in OVA 3 of them drinking while stewing over Noike's arrival is one of my favorites.

A lot of the manga goes into how they're closer friends than either of them wants to admit. It's not a bad read but the fourth wall jokes tend to grow tiresome.

It brings up some neat ideas like a guy who wants to recreate the light hawk sword and there's an adventure involving the Jurai ship builder.

>the Jurai ship builder
Interesting, because in the OVA continuity, that title belongs to Tenchi's sister.

Out of the two, Ryoko always seemed like she enjoyed their bouts in a more teasing/friendly bant kinda way. Whereas Ayeka spergs out over silly shit.

Well the Manga came out not too far after the second OVA. It builds off of it but kind of seems to go into it's own direction and builds it's own canon off of that.

In a lot of ways I think I like it better than what the OVA ended up doing. Especially in regards to how the OVA kept adding to his family tree when really the immediate Yosho connection was more than enough. They even added Jurai shit on Noboyuki's side in the OVA. It's just too much.

Minagi was a pretty neat character to for what amounts to a Ryoko clone