What meaning did you see in Serial Experiments Lain?

What meaning did you see in Serial Experiments Lain?

Other urls found in this thread:

fauux.neocities.org/remembrance.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

lesbianism is a deem thing !

DON'T POST THOSE

Someone explain to me who the fuck Lain's family are and why her "real" self has a different personality. Also why is Lain an alien when she goes to see Alice?

None. I enjoyed it for the trippy visuals and the plot.

Lain is a program mean to administrate the world as it gets connected to the wired. For some reason they decided this program should experience life as a human, so they created the Lain we know. The family you see are her foster parents.

The alien is just how she views herself. As something different and alien, that intrudes on other people.

>they
Who? Eiri?

What a faggot for rejecting Lain

Arisu a SHIT

Lain was too good for this world
Fucking normalfags

Arisu was a good girl, she forgave Lain later didn't she?

but lain did nothing wrong , user . she only watched her while she was masturbating

Is it gay if you're god?

so madoka ripped off lain?

Maybe it's a sort of warning about how the future could turn out to be. Her version of the wired, while detailed, seems to warn everyone what could come to pass if we're not careful.

The internet can influence peoples perceptions of reality really easily, the same message MGS2 had a few years later and a message we as a society have more or less completely ignored for two decades now.

Yes

now that you mentioned it we should spread that on Sup Forums

2deep4u Sphinx? Go watch moe like Lucky Star which is more of your speed

So it means:

we should?=YES

pseudo intellectual normalfag? How about enjoying everything at once?

How about bash your head into a rock just so you could become a crippled depressed/antisocial just like me? faggot that much?

Why can't we live in the cyberpunk timeline
>no internet goddess
>no buzzing crts
>no darkweb
>just social media and faggotry

A critical analysis of the construct of anischerality.

Thanks. I feel a little less dumb now.

YES

>finally watched SEL 2 weeks ago despite knowing about it for years
>have listened to the opening and closing theme at least once a day since then

I seriously feel love for Lain. I've never felt attachment for a fictional character except for her. I just want to hold Lain and protect her.

where can I find a real life Lain to hold and protect?

because of the jews

the jews foresaw this free future we could've had, and in their fear of the samurai, they sought to enslave us all

Praise your new goddess.

Try the Wired

LET'S ALL LOVE LAIN

iktf user

After watching the show I drew a huge 2x3' poster of Lain and hung it up across from my bed so I'd see it when I woke up in the morning and when I went to sleep. Eventually I took it down because it hurt so much that I'd never feel the warmth of her hugs or smiles

it never goes away. Lain will always be there in your heart

That was one of the MANY interpretations. The authors themselves said that literally any interpretation is a correct one. I see it as starting in the PS1 game, where Lain uploads herself, basically writing the program that exists in the anime then killing herself after the upload. Then, she get forcefully partially ripped out of the Wired by the fake god, and rediscovers her godhood and reconnects with the fragment remaining in the Wired.

It's a great series with many layers, and you can interpret is simply or complexly as you choose.

Let's all love Lain

i didnt think Lain was trying to kiss Arisu, just be close to her. she was lonely from her dissociation in the Wired and another human being was like fresh, clear water for someone dying of thirst.

Do you think Lain found happiness in the end?

What about the sister?

She acted like a preety normal sister till she was mindfucked

Nothing cause I didn't watch it.

fag

Did anyone else think the false prophet being squished by Lains computers after turning into a monster, was a reference to Akira?

Don't die on me senpai

that meme magic is real

can we meme Lain into existence the same way we summoned kek?

that's the idea

LETS ALL LOVE LAIN

The struggle and difficulty in trying to connect with other people. Lain tried to connect with others any way she could, eventually turning towards the Wired as she felt she could be herself there. Lain was able to connect with Arisu in the end, and Lain turned away from the Wired for her real, human relationship with Arisu.

There's multiple layers of meaning, each of them being as valid as the others.
These parallel truths are also one of the core ideas presented in Lain.

Was Lain simply Evangelion but for little girls who couldn't stand the violence?

P R E S E N T T I M E
P R E S E N T D A Y _

no evangelion was lain for brainlets

As in Evangelion, people were thwarted trying to forcefully connect people with eachother, instead of opting for an existentialist hard but authentic path to happiness through individual will

That's wrong.
Based purely on the fact that Wired isn't depicted as any less real than the "real" world.

Besides where do the different Lains come into this?

there's only one lain

Except there isn't.
Even if you condense the Lain of the Wired and Lain down to a single character, that still leaves another Lain who is not Lain

HAHAHAHAHAHA

does anyone else find this really creepy because Lains message, theme and content is still highly relevant almost 20 years later?

if a lain isn't lain, there's only one lain

holy fuck i never thought about that
>"present time"

Except she's presented as Lain, even if she's not Lain.

the director literally had 3 different names for Lain during production, and each Lain had a unique "form of speech" than the other.

>almost 20 years later
FUCK

Why don't you summon yourself back to le reddit.

fauux.neocities.org/remembrance.html
:(

>you will never cum in Lains hand
>she makes fun of you both in interspace and dreamland

Fuck has it really been almost two decades? Time isn't supposed to speed up this fast.

That life isn't worth living without Lain.

>tfw getting old

Yes.

Lain discovered she doesn't like the physical world. It's too messy and chaotic. Her time in that club really cemented the idea. In the wired, Lain can do anything, be anything, change whatever she wants. In the physical world she's just a little girl who can't even have fun on her own.

Lain never belonged here in the physical world, but I think the experience of a real body was important considering her mission and purpose.

I would literally cut off my left hand if it meant my right was always held fast in hers

>held fast in hers
Get out of here, you sicko.

just like jebus

>fauux.neocities.org/remembrance.html

tfw I accidentally clicked and realized it did something.

no you

Lain is the reflection of the modern world we know today, it's crazy how
accurate everything in the show is.

Also, nice to see other /lain/ lovers

Combine is the best groove

It seems ever more relevant as time hurdles onwards, user. I don't know much about tech in the late 90s, but I don't think there were cellular networks, or at least cellular networks that many people had access too. The internet was a thing, but I don't even know if the average person even had WiFi. Nowadays, literally every 12 year old kid has a cellphone with a data plan and the ability to go anywhere they want to on the internet. That's something that rich CEOs and tech junkies had wet dreams about in 1996.

Social media wasn't really much of a thing back then either, although internet chatrooms and message boards were popular. In Lain's time, the worry was that people would put on personas while online and act differently than they do in real life. I think there was a message in SEL that this kind of behavior is dangerous, because it really does change who you are. If you act like a real fucking ass online, it's going to rub off onto you. Couple that with the ease of trolling back in those days and the higher level of anonymity people had, it could lead people to really change emotionally.

Nowadays, social media is huge. It seems like everyone is searching for the 15 minutes of internet fame, and none of them hesitate to put their real names and photos online. People are addicted to facebook and twitter and have zero issues with uploading nude pics or pics of their kids online. We have the ability to present ourselves at our best online, which still puts out a dishonest image of ourselves. People try to make their lives look perfect while hiding the bad shit, to appeal to others online.

It's completely different than what SEL warned us about, but I think SEL is still important when it comes to those issues. Instead of worrying about how people change when they go online and interact with others, I think the issue is now worrying about how interactions with the internet community changes people.

If there's anything SEL didn't predict its this.

That's kind of intimidating. It's like a picture who's resolution is becoming smaller and smaller.

Fucking normos and kikes

Tachibana corp almost led to the entire world being turned into a giant brain so i'd say it kind of did

Damn that is so true

But Lain once she gets full omnipresence thx to the real time information the Wire gives, when she stalked her friend, it's like nowadays cyber stalking and hacking the online activity of someone. Privacity still is very desired by internet normie users, and if someone has the control of the system, it can lead to similar crisis that what happened in the show.

that fags will praise mediocre anime if it pretends to be deep. see also NGE

Lain doesn't pretend.
All the substance is right there.
In fact you shouldn't be calling it deep, because it's pretty straightforward and simple

>normies
>privacy

Normies literally pay to have their every action recorded and broadcasted for the rest of the world to access

Irrelevant opinion

he's too busy looking between the lines to see the colors of the mosaic portray a solid, obvious piece

Lain was internet jesus

tfw no internet Jesus gf

If you haven't watched Lain yet, it's only 13 episodes and the intro/outro are both spectacular

I get what he's saying. Normies think they care about privacy, or at least think they should care about privacy, yet in reality, they do nothing to protect their own privacy online. Most people seem to think they live in some sort of bubble online, where only select friends can view what they post. In reality, their little bubble is much more porous than they'd like to acknowledge. At the same time, they don't really care about how private they are online. Look at tumblr or facebook posts, people just post what the fuck ever they want. Some ramble about their money problems, addictions, crime, etc etc. You know it's pretty common for companies to look into your social media profiles now (I had several companies demanding my FB profile and any other social media accounts when I was job searching a few months back). I guess you can form your own opinion about that practice, but it just goes to show how our personalities in the real world are weighed the same as our personalities online.

Think about the internet back in the 90s. You had chat rooms and message boards, but people rarely used their real names for that stuff. If someone wanted to find you online, they'd have to ask you for your username or handle or whatever. That's liek a complete 180 from today, where so long as someone has your name (even just first name) and an idea of what you look like, they can find your FB and twitter and youtube and many other accounts. If they're lucky, one or more of those accounts isn't private, and at that point they've infiltrated your little bubble. They're a friend request away from seeing everything you've posted over the years, all neatly collected and cataloged for them.

True, and this makes me miss the days of the early internet. The sense of wonder and possibilities on the internet in those early days was magical. Not that the internet sucks now, I think it's all a combination of growing up and using the internet differently.

I don't visit nearly as many different sites nowadays. I used to role play or troll in chat rooms, now I just shitpost on Sup Forums

That it's perfectly okay to touch my benis and if somebody is watching, they're the queer

If you had exactly 24 hours to spend with Lain, what would you do?

I would hold her hand for exactly 5 minutes whenever I needed it or maybe hug instead

But user, you're with Lain right now. She's always by your side, and you're never alone.

Lain was created to watch over us. She suffered in the physical world and returned to the wired for our sakes. Just because she doesn't have a physical body right now doesn't mean she's not here for you.

If you ever feel lonely or scared or sad, just hold your hand on your computer tower. That warmth is a gift from Lain, and she's holding up her hand just on the other side of the case to comfort you.

She's always here for all of us, user. All you have to do is love her.

Why is it, in a matter of 2 episodes, Lain's room went from looking like a normal junior girl's room to looking like something that belongs in a government facility?

Because of Kraut Space Magic

Go big or go home, skrub.

You might become obsessed with something you suddenly find yourself excelling in

But where was she getting the tech to do so? Her "dad"?

>having a normal room

Yes, he was feeding her money and tech as she requested it.

I'm assuming the dad and mom were members of the Knights, but I'm not sure about the older sister. The father strategically bought Lain anything she asked for or might need to complete her mission for the Knights, since that was the whole point of getting her a physical body in the first place. Before Lain realized it, she had transformed her room into what it became for the rest of the show. The sudden transition was meant to strike the viewer as odd, because at this point the viewer should still think Lain is a regular girl (assuming the viewer knows nothing about the show, I guess).

You seem to know a bit about it Quads, so tell me something else.

What was the deal with the sister? How did she end up in that retarded state of hers after the episode that was focused around her? That was one of the more confusing parts.

PTSD/mental trauma