Tenchi Muyo OVA 4

OVA 4 comes out today. Some Anons already have the bd to it.

Tenchi thread I guess too.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Wy6ZKWq9Yug
youtube.com/watch?v=1pMy_NBO4PU
youtube.com/watch?v=teMq9lPEOHo
youtu.be/FdZ_QveGaTU
vocaroo.com/i/s14nCCNK8sNT
youtube.com/watch?v=aD9cMvxkOHY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

How disappointing is it?

Pioneers, report in!

youtube.com/watch?v=Wy6ZKWq9Yug

Still waiting for a raw upload, or might just wait for a sub.

I have a 'raw upload' for you right here, user...

Not going to lie. Had fonder memories of the english version of that opening. Might have been because I had the VHS dubs back in the 90s. There are almost 20yo, and still work.

Do tell.

This one was good but my all time favorite has to be that first opening. That shit's so mesmerizing.

I can't find it anymore though, especially in blu-ray quality. Must've been taken down en masse on fucking Youtube.

Yeah, I feel you on this one. I have the same sort preference for a bunch of old school English dub OPs because of the nostalgic feelings they evoke.

>This one was good but my all time favorite has to be that first opening.
Just spent a few minute looking for it myself. Yeah, jewtube's automated ban hammer system took it down all right.

Nothing can be done about it. Just accept it.

I always wanted a spinoff where Mihoshi is a detective who always accidentally solves the case through sheer luck and force of will instead of actual detective work. She'd start off as a failure who is ignored and mocked by other officers, but by the end of the series is fear by criminals throughout the galaxy and respected by the toughest, meanest S.O.B.s in the Galaxy Police. Only Kiyone knows she can't detect for shit but never exposes that fact because she loves and cares for Mihoshi. Who else would watch that with me?

You pitched it just right, and this was the sort shit I wanted along with my bro back in the day. Mihoshi is a character underutilized for what she is. We seen her competency in some parts of the OVAs compared to the Universe time line. Success by sheer luck, and circumstance.

>Nothing can be done about it. Just accept it.
My jimmies remain unrustled by the facts of my proclivities. I've learned to accept the facts of my circumstance in life regardless of external judgments about what may be seen as preferable or deemed unworthy.

Had the VHS for OVA 1 special and some of OVA 2. I lost that shit somewhere and never found it, RIP.

You pretty much describe what Mihoshi is now. She solves everything through her overwhelming amounts of luck, otherwise according to what's on lore before she experienced that accident she was some sort of Judge Dredd tier of bad ass cop.

It's definitely not a stretch from how she is presented, it's just certain aspects presented in Universe and OVA continuities that I've combined and played out to their logical ends with a few personal preference items sprinkled in along the way like the relationship between Mihoshi and Washu i.e. the time machine incident.

What was your first exposure to Tenchi Muyo?

Mine was watching Tenchi Muyo in Love being televised on Sci-Fi on an early Saturday morning back in the late 90s. Which cause me to go check out my Blockbuster for anything on it. Found a VHS of the first couple of episodes of Universe. Ended up doing some research online fansites, and started buying the OVAs from Suncoast.

These OP/Ed's always make me smile

I also have a part where Ryoko is presumed to have died while attempting to rescue Tenchi and Ayeka from my main antagonist. Although her sacrifice allows them to escape, they're considered fugitives because of the plot set in motion around them. As a result of both incidents, Ayeka goes full Space Pirate and takes over where Ryoko left off. Meanwhile, Ryoko having lost her memory and nursed back to health by the Jurai Trees is treated like a royal princess and begins to act like one, taking over the role vacated by Ayeka when she went rogue. I had fun imagining this part.

I getcha, I getcha. Out of everyone, Mihoshi gets the least amount of love, it'd be great to explore her past more in-depth because she rose to the top somehow. Whether this is done through novels or shorts, it'd be a nice thing to see overall. Although she did have a special dedicated to her.

> like the relationship between Mihoshi and Washu i.e. the time machine incident

I need more details on this please.

Some kid at school kept hyping up Gundam Wing when Toonami was a still thing. Told me to check it out so I did. Only caught the ending to an episode and sometime afterwards Tenchi Ryo-Ohki came on. Shit stuck with me much more than Gundam did, Outlaw Star was another that sucked me right in as well.

No shame in admitting that I guess.

ryoko dies in the last 6 seconds

Tenchi Universe was one of the series available for sale out of the trunk of a car at the San Diego Swap Meet when I was young. It was the first tape I picked and I ended up buying them all from him eventually. The next series I got from him was Patlabor which I found to be just as enjoyable, if not more so. I knew I was one "those" people at that point but didn't worry about it too much, just tried to enjoy it. He eventually sold me Utena, Galaxy Angel, Android Kikaider, Shin Chan, and of course Evangelion.

>that 90s dithering

There's an arc in Tenchi Universe where mihoshi somehow wanders into Washu's secret lab where she promptly begins pressing random buttons on Washu's latest device which happens to be a time machine. The whole cast is sucked into parallel dimensions with alternate versions of themselves and the next several episodes are spent trying to untangle the whole mess. It's my favorite part of the series, especially when Ryoko is a bank robber and Tenchi is her hostage turned accomplice.

Today? Wait, for real?

90's pixel art immerses the fuck outta me, it's so good.

Aw shit, I blanked out about the whole Time & Space Adventures shtick that Universe did.

Back when Tenchi was fun.

'I'm a Pioneer' and the first ED, 'Talent for Love' never fail to make me smile.

youtube.com/watch?v=1pMy_NBO4PU

Damn, was I into that series back in the day with El-Hazard being a close second.

I've been hoping to get some news today. Maybe like the opening at least. I don't expect it to be subbed right away but... at least people seem to like it in Japan. A lot of people saying its funny but unsure about the art direction.

Here is one of the alternative covers for vol 1.

Yes. One of the Anons in yesterday's thread lives in Japan and bought the BD of it.

Talent for Love was the ED for OVA 1 right? That one still hits me hard, man. Hearing that song play while the credits cycle through those pre-rendered stills of the household doing random shit.

And we were talking El-Hazard last thread too.

Give it time, user. We'll see how this plays out, I mean he can't fuck around with it as much due to a shorter leash.

More of the new art.

>Talent for Love was the ED for OVA 1 right?

Yep. I adored those production sketches that were shown during the ED:

youtube.com/watch?v=teMq9lPEOHo

>And we were talking El-Hazard last thread too.

Pity I wasn't around for it. And pity that AIC/Pioneer felt the need to switch so much when they did those TV remakes. At least they should have kept Cake Venus when they paired her off with Makoto, instead of turning her into that teenage blob.

Tenchi looks beefier than before. Seems all that carrot farming is finally paying off. And I like how spunky they all look in the first pic.

Is this part of a CG collection of a dating sim I was never able to find?

He is no longer a mild mannered teenage boy. He is an adult now.

Do any of you guys know if the Doki release of Ryo-Ohki is better than the THORA one?

>Pity I wasn't around for it. And pity that AIC/Pioneer felt the need to switch so much when they did those TV remakes

I was more concerned with how they ended the series on that third ova. At least the first felt really complete by it's conclusion.

It's a game for one of the PC-Engines and also Sega Saturn. All an untranslated piece of work though, like most of the Tenchi material you'll find.

Too bad. Looks interesting.

I really wish those games had been translated along with like everything else important to the series... (the true novels etc.)

I watched the Tenchi TV series at my college anime club

Are the true novels those three books that Kaji did about Yosho, Washu and Jurai?

So, how much of a colossal fuckup is OVA4? Are we just in for regular unsatisfying disappointment or is it a reeking abortion that will finally kill the franchise?

Too early to tell right now. Someone mentioned the first episode not really doing very much.

It shouldn't until it's subbed and we can all make judgements then.

they touched up the translations and fixed most of the mistakes, so yeah it's better still missed tenchi can't be copied

Yes.

Probably won't kill it even if it is terrible. Japan liked GXP and OVA 3 (disliked Ai) They also have the Tenchi Muyo GXP novels which the creator of Tenchi made because he disliked what the director of GXP did to the series. That is why OVA 3 had a colossal turd of an ending with Tenchi creating an alternative the time line.

Thats also why Minaho (Tenchi's Aunt and Ringo- from the novels) are on the cover of the blu ray. Japan likes it.

>fuckup
you should stop listening to autistic middleaged permavirgins

Toonami. I caught it in the middle of Tenchi in Tokyo and liked it. (My excuse was that I was like... 12)

Anyone read the 'If" Doujinshi the Kajishima Masaki made?

>Yes.

I thought those were already translated? I've read all three of em, with Washu's being the best imo. All we technically need now are the GXP novels and those other line of books.

He made a shitload of those.

I mean professionally. I have read them also. I liked Washu's backstory but my favorite part of the novels described Ryoko's time with Kagato and about her attacking a young Ayeka.

is there any raw up yet??

> Ryoko's time with Kagato and about her attacking a young Ayeka.
>pic related

Is there an illustrated pic and text form like that for all of it? I just read some poorly copied and pasted version of it.

Even if you watch the old OVA they really allude to crazy stuff from the novels.
I have been rewatching it and there was a part in episode 13 when Washu meets Misaki and says "Oh boy she reminds me of someone.." but now I'm like well okay is that alluding to the rumors that Misaki mother is somehow connected to Naja.

I like it and I hate it because some of these questions will never be answered because Kajishima likes to keep us guessing.

I think a major problem for the American audience with OVA 3 was this cannon material was never showcased here and instead of it being hinted at in little ways like that in the past it was really thrown in your face at the end. Especially with the whole little girl Kagato/Noike thing.

More new art...
So how much do you guys think this will focus on Rea? The War on Geminar series did well over there right?

The fuck her hair is blue? What is she some little old lady from the 70s and 80s who dyes her hair every few days strange colors?

>Is there an illustrated pic and text form like that for all of it?

Nah, read it the same way you did.

>I think a major problem for the American audience with OVA 3 was this cannon material was never showcased here and instead of it being hinted at in little ways like that in the past it was really thrown in your face at the end.

That's honestly one of the issues with Kajishima's continuity (and multi-media things in general) is that a lot of his work is completely segregated to Japan, meaning that a good chunk of important stuff will never see the light of day in America. At least officially anyway, they're still a bunch of people that translate his doujins from time to time, but the bulk of everything is still floating about.

GXP and OVA 3 were geared towards that Japanese, which is why they sucked hard here. Not just because of that mind you, it sucked period but the material gap is one contributing reason. I don't think he realized how sizable the following of people were in the States.

Toonami with Tenchi Universe. Was able to watch all the way to the middle of In Tokyo until my mom cut off the cable.

Based on the first episode, the series looks like it will focus on Minaho, and whatever plan she has for Tenchi. Though the backdrop for this will be Rea and Nobuyuki's wedding. Rea barely appeared in this one. There's no next episode preview either.

Ah dude. I remember that picture. I have to say... the hardest part about getting excited for this new Tenchi was coming back to the internet and everything being gone. TMFFA, Ayeka Fan Club and such. I can't find half the stuff I used to have saved etc.

Rewatching some of the original OVA...

It's really charming but I forgot how bad they were. Don't get me wrong it out charms the bad especially with the dub cast until the 3rd OVA.

But yeah nothings ever explained and all the side plots are hand waved, but it's an OVA what else to expect?

still 100% HYPED

>Intro steals several matte paintings from Zeta Gundam's openings

I never noticed that before.

Minaho's plan or Seto's? She was a pretty seemingly meek character in gxp.

If you have seen it... are they playing her up to be part of the Harem or just an important family member. (Its sad that I even have to ask that...)

Seto wasn't in the episode and I don't think she was even mentioned. Funaho gave some kind of talk to Minaho, I think she insinuated that after the Nobuyuki and Rea wedding it would be Minaho's turn to find a husband or something. My Japanese isn't great and I need to watch it again.

Anyway Minaho said to Tenchi at the end of the episode that she wants to monopolize the son that Kiyone loved so much, and then said "tsukiatte kureru" which is basically, go out with me. But I guess the meaning could be more ambiguous, I didn't get the sense that she was actually in love with him. But who knows.

ffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

youtu.be/FdZ_QveGaTU

WHERE IS IT

COME ON

Was browsing through the anime section of Hollywood Video and saw Sasami on the cover. She looked like sailor moon so I got that as well as Devil Hunter Yoko. A couple years later I think I saw it air on toonami and flipped out because I got to see more episodes.

You say that but only those "middle-aged perma-virgins" are the only demographic int he west that actually care about Tenchi Muyo.

In 1998, a local PBS station based in San Jose, CA would air anime late on Sunday nights. I had a TV in my room for the first time, and I stumbled across Urusei Yatsura, an episode where Lum appeared topless. My first exposure to anime and I was hooked. Anyway they also were broadcasting Tenchi Universe as part of the same block, and I also really loved it.

The two are still among my favorite anime series to this day.

Its like it never even came out. I don't know.

AND THAT IS WHY IT IS SO PERFECT!

It used to air on huelevision at 3 p.m or something. It would go OVA -> Universe -> Tokyo order, but I was too young(or dumb) to actually grasp that back then. Always wondered why the Light-Hawk Wings would suddenly disappear from the plot.

Waiting for rips.

So does sasami ever has a kid with tenchi in the 'if' series? I know she's hinted to have one in the manga.

You think Tenchi has done the mating press with any or all the girls?

she goes to highschool and hooks up with a fat yakuza kid

>That comment with that picture.

No. The last children in the series was Noike and Mihoshi's daughters. I don't know which is the youngest they are super close in age.

>according to what's on lore before she experienced that accident she was some sort of Judge Dredd tier of bad ass cop.

You didn't even need to research to know that. Kagato heavily implies it in episode 5. There's lots of hidden info in the first two OVA series because the dubs and subs are so heavily flawed.

>You didn't even need to research to know that. Kagato heavily implies it in episode 5.
I thought it was just implied she got either lazy, or was forced into a basic patrol duty cop for always casing to much collateral damage. This lore rabbit hole is to deep for me. Even nearly two decades later I'm still learning more new things about the characters.

I'm so mad that they had such a good universe set up with some great characters and they just shit all over it.
FML man, I waited 20 years for this, give me something real with good art.

Basically he says that he heard about her heroic episodes in the past.

but I think its sarcastic because she destroys shit in the process. I can't really tell if it is meant as sarcasm in the subs but it has that tone in the dubs.

but best way to meet a villain or what?

It's implied on OVA 1 that she has many feats under her belt, but some sort of fucked-up past was implied in short scene on OVA 3, but I never saw any proper translated source on that, only people parroting stuff.

He comments on her performance in the past in all honesty to her credit, but he was striking a nerve in her by saying she is not the cop she was before. So Mihoshi does take her job seriously, but we never got a clear idea how she was before.

Check out War on Geminar.

Hate to say this but Tenchi Muyo is now just a set up for Kajishima Masaki's universe. He has basically said the action part of Tenchi is over and he wants to focus on the day to day shit...

now if it was the households day to day shit it could be alright but its probably going to be some extended family bullshit.

I know how you feel. Honestly the manga is a better adaptation of the OVA 1 and 2.

>I know how you feel. Honestly the manga is a better adaptation of the OVA 1 and 2.
This is fucking fact.

It's crazy how well the manga got all the character and managed to balance slice of life and space adventure

Even Ayeka and Ryoko come off as genuine friends more than they did in any version

I wouldn't mind an animated web series adapting the manga.

Only Tenchi's daughters were in the If doujins, so Sasami could have had a son.

Dude I would love to see the manga get adapted to animation. There's all sorts of cool shit in there. The Yakage and Minage stuff alone could fill out a nice OVA series worth of episodes.

Hell even the slice of life junk was more solidly entertaining because the characters would go out of the house to do thing. Mihoshi's driving test would be solid gold.

I think Tokyo was the best adap-

>friends.

I believe you mean future sister wives.

>now if it was the households day to day shit it could be alright but its probably going to be some extended family bullshit.

Yup, agreed. They need to focus on the core characters.

Manga was great, my first manga as a teen. Art was a tad cutesy, but still fantastic quality.

Stop it.

well, yeah. What else could I mean.

Even the extended characters would be fine if they actually did something with them. Instead we get

>Here's character X she's so and so's great great whatever who's part of some organization, just pretend she was part of this world the whole time. Well that sucked up a good chunk of the episode here's two and half seconds of Ryoko and Ayeka squabbling.

No.

Exactly. We get 4 episodes this season and the list of new characters is just ridiculous for that amount of time.

I just want Tenchi to make some kind of move. I hope he turns that new girl down hard like... No these are my girls. Like finalize the family.

Has Funimation said anything about the new OVA? They got pretty much everything else

Mihoshi's VA is dead. Who replaced her?

Mai waifu Ayeka soon, I hope.

shmorky
vocaroo.com/i/s14nCCNK8sNT

Do you have a bigger resolution of your pic?

If they do not announce the returned of best gmilf voicing best tenchi girl because they are too cheap to fly her out there to do it, or union faggotry. My hard on for new Tenchi Muyo dubs will go flaccid faster than deflated balloon.

youtube.com/watch?v=aD9cMvxkOHY