What made it so successful

What made it so successful

plebs and normalfags

Its a very OC friendly setting.

Tons of villages
Tons of powers
Tons of other thing people like
its literally the gold standard how to make an anime that's popular with kids

The different techniques and fighting styles.

>OC friendly

this times infinity. SO much OC fuel to go around, even if you just stuck with one village.

also, the soundtrack was 10/10 and carried a lotof the scenes

It's Pokemon, but swap out monsters for techniques.

Running with arms behind your back revolutionized the industry.

It was good and very fresh when it started.

That's it, it's the same reason why something like One Piece is popular, nowadays they would be selling like Fairy Tail at best

heres my sasuke oc please rate /10 thanks gaia

It pandered to pimply teenage normalfags.

This, everyone else are retardeded.

It had a great start, picked up a lot of fans and then the casuals ran with it.

Memorable supporting cast for the first 100 or so chapters
The odd really well written stories like the Zabuza arc.
The village helped as well from the skyline to it's very own mount rushmore, the whole ramen and headband thing caught on as well.

/thread

What made it good was its crude progressive presentation compared to the competition.

Naruto had a really cool presentation; but got real bad after the time skip. The time skip sucked and I felt repelled from ever wanting to get into naruto again after that.

It was a legitimately good series. Really up until they stuck Shippuden in the title.

Then it started to get overly caught up in super powers and power levels.

>Naruto had a really cool presentation; but got real bad after the time skip. The time skip sucked and I felt repelled from ever wanting to get into naruto again after that.
Has there ever been a successful manga that became better after a time skip?

does jojo count?

Dragon Ball

It also has a plot at all. Pokemon is basically a western show in the sense that it doesnt even try to follow a story to any sort of conclusion. It literally is a waste of time because everything is status queue.

Gurren Lagann?

It's Harry Potter with japanese mythology. Nicely written shonen in the beginning, too.

some interesting stuff in the first arcs but went the shonen bullshit route really fast.

>It's Harry Potter
But it's about nin-

I see what you did there

Because it legit has great setting and obvious potentials for great things, hence attracted to it. Veterans also interested, but they cautiously hyped because, well, it's a shonen after all. It tumbled down after time skip, but no thanks to underages, they think the series actually mature up so they relate more because in their mind, they now watch/read mature stuffs for matures such as themselves, which hurts the series even more, because then Kishimoto forced to drag the series further where it should ended.

All in all, personally, reading Naruto is like watching your retarded cousin grows up -- it's endearing at first, but as time goes on, you start to worry about his future, and end up hating him because he's, well, retarded, and you just want him to just die. When he's actually died, you now feel nostalgic, and maybe, just maybe, it's not bad at all. Later on, you realized that with all his mistakes and retardness, he's still your family and deep down, you love him.

WHY THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING THIS

user are you okay? Do you need help?

Kids

STOP
GO BACK TO THE DARKNET
WHY THE FUCK IS THIS GUY STILL POSTING, DO THE ONLY THING YOU'RE GOOD FOR YOU FUCKERS

it was the very basics of generic shonen action, and it didn't try to be anything different.
It had a fantasy world
The character design was very easy(which is something a lot of good artist don't realize, but a simple design is absolutely necessary. Fans should feel like/be able to draw the character themselves without quitting in frustration because of how overdesigned and complex a character is)
The story was basic good vs evil, with a bit of drama and comedy in for a good mix
And of course shitloads of characters, so that even if you don't like X there is still Y and Z

modernized and universalized the myth of the ninja

it was essentially the perfect series for weebs and also resonated with nips being a perfect mix of exoticism and familiarity, allowing for easy self insertion into a cool world that excited the imagination

wow lol so random

oh hell yea

Dragon Ball, JoJo, Hokuto no Ken.

Better or more successful?

Well for starters, it had very wide appeal. They had real successful world marketing. A really simple story that even as they added to it in the second half still was pretty simple and at its heart it was just basically a dragonball Z framework just with a tiny bit of political intrigue and character development to carry the viewer along a bit deeper then dbz ever could.

Also perma death helped but kishi just didn't go far enough/the last death was pretty forced instead of how something like jiraiya's death was very meaningful.

I just recently got into it and I was horrified by the reveal that he was minatos kid.
Think about it, that's twelve years Sarutobi (the guy he literally views as his gardian) had his assets frozen, and this kid lives off of stipends on his own, in a crappy apartment.

>Sarutobi
He was a good friend.

The whole rivalry thing between him and Sasuke is like Goku vs Vegeta on crack.
Even the blue eyed blonde protagonist in orange is clearly an homage to Dragon Ball.

because it was good, faggot.
>inb4 he like naruto lmaooo
it was pretty solid for 14-17 age group. manchilds should not watch shonen.

The fact that people who watch anime act like they're too mature for Naruto is embarrassing.

The manga had a great art style and a unique and interesting world. It also contained many of the elements that make a story good, very similar to Dragon Ball and Hunter x Hunter style.

The fights were great and the setup was neat but most of all it had a cool factor and suspense building ability that most shows don't have at the outset.

I kinda agree aside from that
>great art style
The characters were pretty well drawn but the designs were boring and the backgrounds awful.

I dropped Naruto at volume 30-something, and I remember it was decent for a battle shonen. The real problem was the extremely slow plot progression.