Net Neutrality

So the whole net neutrality thing is an issue again. I, for one, should think we should do something about it. Network providers have no right to force us to pay for browsing certain sites and blocking sites they feel we don't need to see. Any ideas on what to do, Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verizon_Communications_Inc._v._FCC_(2014)
youtube.com/watch?v=le2R2Ps58pQ
forbes.com/sites/joshsteimle/2014/05/14/am-i-the-only-techie-against-net-neutrality/?s=trending#407ccecc70d5
unvis.it/forbes.com/sites/joshsteimle/2014/05/14/am-i-the-only-techie-against-net-neutrality/?s=trending#407ccecc70d5
youtube.com/watch?v=huq14D2lD0s
arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2014/02/isp-lobby-has-already-won-limits-on-public-broadband-in-20-states/
broadcastingcable.com/news/washington/smaller-isps-ask-pai-dispel-cloud-title-ii/165261
transition.fcc.gov/Daily_Releases/Daily_Business/2015/db0312/FCC-15-24A1.pdf
fee.org/articles/net-neutrality-is-about-government-control-of-the-internet/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

why are you flooding the board?

How so?

Self Bump

True net neutrality is about google/twitter/facebook not being allowed to censor users unless there's a court order.

Can someone tell me the origin of this bundle meme? Net Neutrality wasn't a thing until a few years ago, and I don't recall having to pay for website "bundles" before. Also, wasn't the whole controversy ignited because ISPs wanted to charge the netflix for use of their networks because they represent the largest amount of traffic?

I don't know how that all equates to website bundles, but I guess the sleuths over at the Reddit front page have it all figured out.

That wasn't explained to me earlier. But I think it may go much deeper than that

>Network providers have no right
wow are you a commie or smth? Gib me free interwebs REEEEE
Kiss Sup Forums goodbye amerifats!!

Battle for the Net -> Fight for the Future -> Media Democracy Fund -> Open Society Foundation

Who'd have thought George Soros would be involved here?

No. How can I be a commie if I greatly dislike the hard left. It's probably because of those fuckers that we're in this predicament.

What right do we have to demand them of their fiber optic lines and radio towers?

Media matters trying to retain obamas shit. Just democrats being totalitarian. Time to block all meme flags.

The same reason the entirety of the human race has become reliant on the use of the internet. It's out of necessity.

(Quote)
The FCC had a rule that got challenged in court by Verizon in 2010 that PREVENTED ISPs from THROTTLEING OR BLOCKING WEBSITES.
Verizon won the case, only on the margins that telecommunications services needed to be reclassified as a utility (Title II) in order for a rule like that to be upheld.
This led to the massive NN debate that got us the rules in 2015.
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verizon_Communications_Inc._v._FCC_(2014)

Fuck that and fuck them. They can fight all they wish, but memes and the right are here to stay.

So there is no right, a want is yet again falsely claimed to be a necessity. You are why the kekistani meme went to shit. Go lay down your own cables, go set up your own network.

Haha, I would if I could.

self bump?

FUCK BACK TO PLEBBIT

youtube.com/watch?v=le2R2Ps58pQ

Fuck reddit

This was enlightening. Thank you.

Whether it's instagram or reddit, you don't belong here.

See

Fuck insta too. It sucks just as bad.

>insta
Kys

no u

I noticed that there's a fuck ton.

Give me Soros money and I'll help

I know its not you personally spamming these threads, but people are already sick of them.

lel

ISPs can't force you to do shit unless there is no competition. anti-trust legislation literally protects these companies from competition.

Net neutrality doesn't help at all; it just gives the government the go-ahead to regulate the internet.

This will probably last at least another day. Personally, I think something big's gonna happen

Won't that make one big shit storm?

forbes.com/sites/joshsteimle/2014/05/14/am-i-the-only-techie-against-net-neutrality/?s=trending#407ccecc70d5

>While privacy and freedom of speech may not >be foremost on your mind today because you >like who is running the government right now, >remember that government control tends to >swing back and forth. How will you feel about >the government having increased control of >the Internet when Republicans own the >HouseandSenateandJeb Bush is elected >President, all at the same time?

LOL, this article has aged well.

>I think something big's gonna happen
you mean like how "something big" never happened when PIPA passed?
Yeah, sure, the only thing that will happen will be the merger of TWC and AT&T with no objections while all the normies are all distracted with this
you've all played yourselves, and fucked over the entire internet with your autistic virtue signalling.
I get where you guys are coming from and all, but you are clearly doing more harm then good.

And here's the archive
unvis.it/forbes.com/sites/joshsteimle/2014/05/14/am-i-the-only-techie-against-net-neutrality/?s=trending#407ccecc70d5

I hope you're right.

abolishing anti-trust laws would allow small firms to compete with cable and phone companies. Not sure why you're against freedom

Well I was right back on /t/ in the days of SOPA that people would fuck off once the virtue signalling points went away, and they did, and PIPA and the like happened
I was also right that the EU will have major crackdowns on piracy despite being hailed as a haven for free internet for years
Really, the only thing you CAN count on is people, and people in power in particular, being scumbags.

Perhaps I misinterpreted it, but wouldn't that cause oversaturation within the market?

it infringes on free speech

which would lead to a collapse eventually, which afterwards leads to a market that emerges better then ever before...
or complete societal collapse.
either way, this board is accelerationist af

Now that I think about it, we the people are the ones who truly hold power. The public is like a great beast and those in power are like a metaphorical chain. Furthermore, if we are unhappy with how things are run, rebellion occurs and then reformation of government policies take place.

Something similar happened with the video game market after The Great Video Game Crash of 1983. So it will emerge again later after failing?

*smacks user with 1000 page economics tome*

>we the people are the ones who truly hold power
lmfao
Also the "power of the people" stopped being a thing the moment weapons of mass destruction came around. The moment it became possible for one man to kill hundreds with a single tool really.

Possibly.
Or it might go the way of the railroads in America, and be rendered obsolete/outjewed by something else, some new medium of information transferal for example.
Or the whole thing could collapse, and everything goes SHTF as /k/ has been saying will happen soon, for years now.

So it seems we really are in for a great change.

The US is the only developed country with these laws that sponsor monopolies for big telecom. Nowhere else where there are no Net Neutrality laws does this "throttling" effect consumers. You people are worried over nothing.

The reason speeds in US are slower but cost higher than in Japan or EU is because president Obama chose to regulate modern information services like telephones a century ago. The result is retarded competition that prevents new providers from establishing and takes away incentive for big telecoms to be responsive to customers.

Yet you are convinced that this "net neutrality" is a good thing. It is orwellian. It is a monopoly where the state chooses who wins and loses. Same like ACA.

No. I'm in a sense more on the fence now that I've seen both sides. I think I may just look into it more, but the thought of having my network provider decide what it is I watch seems a little privacy infringing.

It is a strawman threat. There is not one developed country without Net Neutrality laws where customers access to content is limited in this way. Licensing for certain content is another issue which may be confused for this at times. For example, Most titles on amazon prime cannot be streamed in Japan because they are not licensed for showing here. Same with HBO shows and others. However google play and other domestic services will still be allowed to show that content, like new game of thrones. But the ISP has no part in this process.

How about we let net neutrality die? The tech companies that will be affected by this will then do something about it.

Makes sense. Thanks for letting me know.

Clearly you underestimate American ingenuity to squeeze money out of people, all it takes is one ISP to make a sizable profit of it, and the rest will fall in line. People can cry market disciple all they want, but anybody who actually looks at economics knows that market disciple is a joke.

Of course. Please help your fellows learn this. All the pro-net neutrality nonsense is ridiculous. The people supporting the current system are being misinformed and mislead.

Essentially, arguing for net neutrality law in the US to remain in place because corporations are evil and greedy is actually shilling in support of those same corporations interests. Comcast, AT&T, Verizon, etc. like the current system. It is a license to print money that comes with the power to smash attempts at startup competition and no incentive or requirement to improve their services.

Of course. America is different. Surely there are no profit oriented corporations in Western Europe or Asia. Surely of all monopolies the US holds, a monopoly on greedy executives must be amoungst them.

You and your society are less unique than you think.

The problem I have with this is that they're saying the FTC will police the ISP's.
... How do I know the FTC won't just give up and run away like the FCC are currently doing with the situation.

I see. So by fighting for net neutrality is to shill for it?

The reason the FCC does not currently police the ISP's is that they are doing what they are supposed to. The current system is a state sponsored monopoly by selected telecoms by design. Currently the FCC is a weapon for these big Telecoms to use against attempts to introduce competition.

Essentially. Yes. Do not let them fool you user. The parties who wish to maintain the status quo are the ones benefitting from it most.. the big telecoms. Look at examples. Towns where they decide to establish municipal connections. Every place this happens the big companies suddenly start improving service and lowering rates for customers. They fear competition because under the Obama laws they were made kings.

Shit... That's a scary thought.

>Network providers have no right to force us to pay for browsing certain sites and blocking sites they feel we don't need to see.

You do realize that net neutrality didn't exist till 2010 and none of these doomsday scenarios happened in the years prior?

Leftists don't seem to understand that corporations that rely on people voluntarily buying their product aren't going to take actions that alienate consumers for fear of damaging their profits they don't necessarily need the state to tell them how to run things. Furthermore if these sort of anti consumer trends did occur then you would have a lot of public support for renewing Net Neutrality or something similar.

The main thing that would change is that ISPs would start selling your data to advertisers instead which would undermine the data collection profits of websites like Google and Facebook. The effects on actual consumers would be less significant than the effects on the profits of telecom companies or websites. Since the telecoms would be making more shekels from data collection they are unlikely to take actions that would outrage consumers and prompt a push for new net neutrality laws for fear of endangering those profits.

In reality this is a squabble between telecom companies and major websites and search engines over data collection shekels.

hold on there jiro, not saying we are that too different but clearly you misunderstand the power of an oligopoly just saying "well it didn't happen here" is dumb. Now I understand all the "end is nigh" talk but feel it's a levitate concern. What else you got you gook?

Money apparently does make the world go 'round

And a argument that the FCC to keep the others in check, but the idea of that its stops others from joining in the market is asinine. If you have the millions upon millions to jump into the ISP market, you have enough to file paperwork with the FCC and other government agencies.

Legitimate not levitate

It is interesting how much net neutrality and the affordable care act have in common. Both were Obama programs designed to benefit the largest and most powerful forces in their respective markets. Such forces who were major contributors to his campaign.

These things are sold as great booms to the common man. But have they improved things for everyone? Healthcare and insurance has become more expensive yet new plans offer more limited access to doctors. Internet, cable, phones.. all is more expensive with less choice. Think about it. When did Comcast start forcing customers to purchase packaged deals for all three services?

It is all a scam, and you people fell for it. Many are still falling for it.

Cant wait till net neutrality kicks in and ISPs start blocking sites like 4ch/8ch. I just can't wait.

Glad you guys can red pill guys like me on it

maybe you should stop supporting trump who is against net neutrality, you fucking cuck

youtube.com/watch?v=huq14D2lD0s

>Comcast, AT&T, Verizon, etc. like the current system
No. They used to. Now their cable monopoly is being threatened by Google/Amazon/etc's streaming services, which is the whole reason why this is being pushed now.

It's in our best interests to support competition.

like the daily stormer?

I don't truly have a political stance you fucking cunt

Holy fucking shit. This gives me a strong urge to kill leftists.

>not allowing a private company to block whoever wants

so by your own logic i should be allowed to post liberal crap on infowars?

>corporations that rely on people voluntarily buying their product aren't going to take actions that alienate consumers
they already do, internet service is a utility not a luxury and there is next to no competition outside of dense populations

motherfucker

Click my id and read my other posts. I am sorry to inconvenience you, but it becomes tedious to repeat myself.

It is not asinine. the proof is in the fact that services are not improving, new providers not becoming established, and prices are not going down. The exception is in areas where municipal services are stood up. As a result, the big telecoms lobby against municipal services as they do against other would be competitors in order to maintain their monopolies. Under Net Neutrality, the government is complicit in this.

arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2014/02/isp-lobby-has-already-won-limits-on-public-broadband-in-20-states/

broadcastingcable.com/news/washington/smaller-isps-ask-pai-dispel-cloud-title-ii/165261

nah this is being totally pushed by these megakike cable providers. they are starting to lose TV sub money so they will recoup it by capturing money from people who have cut their TV subscription and replaced it with the streaming from netflix, amazon, youtube.

facebook, google have a right to censor and block whoever they want. they are private companies. if you don't like facebook, use something else. start your own facebook. if you don't like google, use bing or some other search engine
i hate when right-wing idiots pretend to be libertarians when they are actually fascists who want to tell sites what they can have on their sites.

Net Neutrality is anathema to competition. It awards monopolies over service to the largest providers with no requirements that they continue to improve their services, and no controls over what they may charge. Instead the government becomes a weapon for these big companies to use against would be competitors. Please read my other posts emu friend.

>It awards monopolies over service to the largest providers with no requirements that they continue to improve their services, and no controls over what they may charge
this is already the case here and the exclusive monopoly contracts already exist in every town
this is what was offered to get someone to build it out back in the day
it wont be changing probably ever

these contracts were done at the most local level possible
its fucking insane and yes the corruption was as outrageous as you probably suspect

Bundling won't happen because that would piss off customers. No customers = no profit.

You say this, but it is untrue. The big money interests are, and always have been, in favor of net neutrality. Sup Forums's favorite Hungarian billionaire included.

transition.fcc.gov/Daily_Releases/Daily_Business/2015/db0312/FCC-15-24A1.pdf

fee.org/articles/net-neutrality-is-about-government-control-of-the-internet/

>same like ACA
>le obamacare for the internet meme

i understand that people only come here to argue and not to be swayed, but come on. why would you trust a company to not do something that they could easily do to earn themselves a shitload of money?

Makes sense

Because what incentive does a ISP have in improving service in a companion with other who do just as a shitty job? I understand there is a oligopoly but arguing the only way to create New ISP's by killing NN Is dumb because like I said if you have millions to lay cable and infrastructure you got emough to deal with Uncle Sam. Also They argue they will keep the principle of NN in place why believe that? Why believe that? Market disciple is like a methhead having meth disciple.

The elimination of net neutrality is a step towards this goal. I would encourage you to include what the FCC chair has to say about net neutrality in your study of the issue. I would also encourage you to compare the internet situation in the US to Western Europe and Asia. Well. Japan and South Korea. You will find that you pay more for less. And why? Because there is a lack of competition, and so, a lack of incentive, for your providers to improve services or lower their rates.

Not if they all do it from the start. Maybe the small guys won't do it at first but I guarantee the big 2 will at&t, verizon

I don't understand you. I am sorry.

I am not sure what you are trying to say.

The evidence is clear. Competition brings lower prices and improved services. Net neutrality in the US limits competition. Japan and most of the EU do not have any sort of net neutrality laws, and yet we have faster service and more options in providers. None of these unfounded threats of companies limiting access to certain content are true. I pay no more for Netflix or google-play than you do.

yea i agree
though the cable companies are absolutely pushing for a change in this regulation and its not out of the goodness of their hearts. they think they can maintain their monopoly but charge more for streamers. i promise you this is their angle. but why shouldnt the people using up all the bandwidth pay more?
the video data is going to be eating up more and more of the throughput over time and theyll probably need to upgrade. the netflix bingers should be paying for that buildout because they are the ones we need it for. id be happy browsing Sup Forums on 56k.

i hate r*ddit so much that i would support banning of internet as long as it removes r*ddit so i dont give a flying shit about net neutrality

I keep hearing this claim that the big telecoms are against net neutrality. However, they are spending money to support it. They are lobbying in support of it. It is very strange, true, when you consider that supporters of net neutrality are essentially an alliance between big-government supporting marxists and multi-billion $ telecoms.. and yet both have goals which net neutrality satisfies. Necessity makes for strange bedfellows.

I'm saying why does NN lower completion, because from what I know of NN, the mom and pop shops have to spend some money to show the FCC that they following NN. And you would argue that this is stopping completion, correct?

And also from my knowledge the EU and Japan do have regulations on ISPs not to mention the amount of money they spend to subsidize them. Isn't like common carrier laws in Japan?

Also what evidence do you have that the ISPs won't devolve into our worst nightmare? All you got is there word which is a joke

Competion not completion, damn auto-correct my mortal enemy

What big ISP's support net nuetrality?

Nah just ban reddit