Sally the Witch and the Magical Girl genre is turning 50 years old tomorrow

Sally the Witch and the Magical Girl genre is turning 50 years old tomorrow.

Other urls found in this thread:

videomarket.jp/title/048089
youtube.com/watch?v=-l-MmQTsEUw
lmaga.jp/news/2016/11/17665/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Will we get BDs at some point?
Wasn't Sally also the first TV anime to be recorded in color?

One of the first, but it took until episode 18 for it be broadcast in colors.

Second season was my first anime ever. I watched it being so young it probably influenced my tastes a lot.

Are you Russian? I can't seem to find the 1989 season in anything but Russian dub.

And she grew up to be governor of Tokyo

Yes. It was shown dubbed on russian tv in early 90s.

Too bad the genre is ruined by the Madoka Magica "deconstruction"
Now every new magical girls try to achieve the same shock value of blood and gore.

If you are willing to pay (and probably use proxy and japanese payment method) there's this link.
videomarket.jp/title/048089

Reboot with a moe redesign when?

It was already ruined by Sailor Moon. After that nearly every entry revolved around fighting monsters.

>Confusing Shoujo Mahou Shoujo with Seinen Mahou Shoujo
Friend, Madoka had no effect on the stuff that is meant for actual little girls. The lack of new stuff is more due to the excess of established franchises getting sequels over and over again.

I can't even imagine what modern Sally would look like, especially since Japan has created a distaste for stuff like Little Witch Academia, which is arguably closer to Sally's style than most "monster of the week" Mahou Shoujo

Still sad that Toei isn't doing anything to celebrate it despite it being Sally's 50th anniversary and Toei's 60th.

Non-Precure magical girls for girls are hard to come by nowadays too. You see a lot of people considering things that are vaguely magical girl-like as reminiscent of Precure nowadays. (Though it is not to say Precure isn't actually highly influential.)

The part of the genre that matters - shows for little girls - is entirely unaffected by Meguka.

Also there's no room for a magical girl idol show when pre-teens can be idols without magic. So we get Pripara and Aikatsu instead.

They did "Mahou Tsukai Precure" which has plenty of nods to the Toei Majokkos. But I didn't really like it.

For some reason, almost no one can land a proper homage to Sally. Concrete Revolution tried, but their MG was more of a stereotypical vision of what Creamy Mami is. We had this new Precure, but it didn't work too well either.

Osomatsu-kun did it best by just having Sally show up in the background.

I don't think it did, really. It's a typical Precure series but with everyday magic and less tension. They would have written its title (decided by the father of Precure) differently and went for more stylized character designs if it was meant to be a homage.

youtube.com/watch?v=-l-MmQTsEUw

>Named Mahou Tsukai Precure
>Sally and Akko-chan's voice actors will have roles in this week's episode
It is as much of a homage as it is commercially viable.

Ojamajo will save the day

>Named Mahou Tsukai Precure
魔法つかい instead of 魔法使い. Washio was picky about this for whatever reason.
>Sally and Akko-chan's voice actors will have roles in this week's episode
This was certainly a homage though. I'm just saying they didn't plan the entire series to be one.

Toei should celebrate with Pero. Maybe they'll give him a series in 2019.

That's basically what Creamy Mami was. Main difference was that she had mascots.

Aren't we generally due for another Yokoyama series?
It's been ten years since GR and the Tetsujin movie.

Sally is cute.

>It's a magic can't heal episode

But Flip Flappers

non

I will spend a month or so in Japan next year, I will probably take the chance to catch up with most Majokko stuff I have missed.

Hopefully by then we will have got more stuff like this lmaga.jp/news/2016/11/17665/

There is something fascinating about really old anime that makes it appealing.

Sally is also good on its own, I think. At least if compared to other titles of the era or many of 70s era Toei Magical Girls that came after.

Though yeah, there is a charm to stuff from that era.