What the fuck did I just watch...

What the fuck did I just watch? This was one of the most poorly written plot points I've ever had the displeasure of witnessing.

Is this really what you oldfags have been hyping over?

>Geass
>Old

Go watch Jojo, so that you can deal with poorly written plot points that are on your level.

10 years is a long time

If you couldn't see how shit the writing was at episode 1 you deserved this

It's a dumb incident, but only retards and trolls who haven't seen more than ten anime get so butthurt over something that's not even close to the worst.

>What the fuck did I just watch?
Something clearly above your level

If you couldn't see the foreshadowing, then it sucks to be you.

>not liking having the annoying little sister go around genociding people
Sounds like an autist is upset that his dream of everyone working together broke down. This is probably the best part of the anime and shows just how arrogant Lelouch had been in his treatment of Geass.

It was actually a great plot point as far as anime plot points do. Properly foreshadowed, not asspulled and allowing for an interesting development. Geass had a lot of worse writing.

Yeah, I just watched this episode too. Dropped desu.

Anyone else felt kind of bad for her and Suzaku?
Both of them were annoying but they didn't really deserve this.

>Anyone else felt kind of bad for her
Yes
>and Suzaku?
No

What kind of literal retard still expects Code Geass to be art by episode 22

Wasn't there already a thread talking about this

The execution is pretty melodramatic and hamfisted, but the writing is very solid.

That was extremely stupid and awfully convenient since it benefited absolutely no one except Lelouch.

>That was extremely stupid and awfully convenient
CG in a nutshell

This is unironically one of the best plot twists in an anime.

All of the pieces are set up well in advance and reinforced until literally seconds before it happens, it feels just as shocking and unexpected to the viewers and the characters (when empathizing with the characters is kind of the #1 goal of any fiction series), and it BTFO basically the entire cast when everyone was getting a little too comfortable.

It's melodramatic as hell, but if you didn't realize this series was going to be melodramatic from the early episodes hammering in that chess motif I dunno what to tell you.

>It was all set up in advance so it's fine.

No it goddamn isn't you idiots. Lelouch losing control of his Geass was well foreshadowed, that's not in dispute. The timing in which it happened and the fact that it required Lelouch saying the single most out-of-character thing he could have EVER said in that situation is what makes the whole thing total bullshit. I get that the intent is that Lelouch got screwed by unfortunate circumstances and bad timing but the way the scene was executed strains credibility so hard that it's impossible to take seriously.

You don't end up thinking Lelouch got screwed by fate, you just end up recognizing he got screwed by the writing staff.

Yes, it's reliance on that precise wording is somewhat contrived, but I don't think it goes beyond the boundaries of logic - at least not the ones the show already established.

And seriously, it makes for such good and interesting developments, it's hard to hate it just because "WOOW HE REALLY HAD TO SAY THOSE THINGS WHAT ARE THE ODDS".

>it makes for such good and interesting developments
I'm gonna have to disagree with you there.

>Lelouch saying the single most out-of-character thing he could have EVER said in that situation is what makes the whole thing total bullshit.

What makes it out of character? Lelouch, especially in R1, is sort of a total asshole that basically has zero respect for human lives, maniuplating people and generally fucking shit up using his geass.

He was pissed that his little revenge crusade was about to get crushed by kindness because his thing about doing this just for his sister to have a nice place is kind of an excuse.

Odds are he HAD that idea of "just make euphy fuck everything up" before downgrading it to "just make her shoot me instead", and subconciously blurted it out because lelouch is established all throughout R1 to be sort of a dumbass that makes really minor mistakes all the time.

More importantly, if it WASN'T just him saying something totally off hand like that, it would take away from the impact both to the characters and the viewer about how fucking sensless (and thus tragic) the whole thing is. You couldn't have altered the wording without making it way less effective.

Honestly I've never known how to feel about this. It's clearly a jump the shark moment that resulted from a set of insane contrivances (as foreshadowed as Lelouch eventually losing control of geass was) and derailed the entire plot from that point on up to the tail end of R2 due to it being what ultimately convinces the Black Knights to betray Lelouch, but it was so over-the-top and overdramatic I can't help loving it. The show really committed to its crazy side at times.

As opposed to everyone living happily ever after in the Japan zone? This shit sure was more interesting, it left a huge mark on Lelouch, Suzaku and Cornelia and remained a relevant event for the rest of the series.

Why should you take everything seriously in the first place? Code Geass was not written with that expectation in mind. Crazy, over-the-top and WTF events happen all the time during the story. The staff are all human beings, not robots, who can laugh and latch onto memes like anyone else. They even spent time more or less openly fooling around on 2ch during the first season.

I'd also say it's fine for other reasons. Lelouch never had to explain his powers to anyone before, so there's no precedent,. but it's not out of character for him to be overconfident and sloppy. He's also often irrational in the presence of his family, including his sisters.

The show is full of examples of Lelouch not calculating something right or being surprised by seemingly random events happening, in all manner or ways, so suddenly acting like the man has been flawless and perfect all the way through tells me more about the idiocy of the audience than anything about the writing staff.

Code Geass is a soap opera, a stage act. All you're doing is wasting time pointing out that the props are not real and that everyone is wearing a wig.

I'd agree with that user. The story would not have, and wasn't going to, end with a limited solution that only helped a handful of Elevens and didn't solve all the tension between Lelouch and Suzaku or Lelouch and Britannia. It was a false peace that would have made Lelouch, Suzaku and Euphemia feel good about themselvs, but Lelouch's first instinct -to ruin Euphemia's plan and storm the stadium with troops after faking his death- was both right for the story and not too different from what he ended up doing once the Geass incident happened.

I would more or less disagree, because for me it was Euphemia's zone that was going to derail the plot. It was a red herring that they used as a decoy to speed up events, rather than a change of progression.

The story was always heading towards a final confrontation against the Britannian occupation forces, but then comes this fairy tale proposal designed with good intentions yet destined to weaken the Black Knights and give Britannia more control over the area.

Lelouch's problems with the Black Knights didn't start with this, nor did they end here, but it did help make the case for the betrayal.

Yeah, I agree with this, but there could've been less convenient ways for the SAZ zone to fail. Lelouch's original plan of making Euphy shoot him could've also worked.

>I wrote "Special Administration Zone zone"
Sorry, I got distracted withdrawing money from an ATM machine.

Okay, imagine for example a scene in a stage act where a character is well-hidden behind a prop tree, and he ends up being found by his pursuer but only because said pursuer picked up the prop tree and cast it aside like nothing because, after all, it's just a prop. That's what Lelouch geassing Euphy feels like.

It's hard NOT to call out the writer for cheating the story to get the outcome he wanted (even if the outcome is great, as Euphinator was) when that's exactly what he did. And yeah, it might end up being funny because of how audacious it is but that still means its bad writing.

This is objectively, unironically, and by far, the best episode of the series, the one that single-handedly saved the plot-less yawn-fest that was R1.
Before this, I almost thought about dropping the show, with the risk of missing out the vastly superior R2.

Thing is, your example is good because I think that's part of the mindset reflected in this show. It might be bad writing from a purely technical perspective, but it reflects a certain intent and even a naughty, half-winking attitude in some respects. Not enough to make the whole thing a possible, but a performance were amusing, silly or farcical events are part of the atmosphere.

*Not enough to make the whole thing a possibly "pure" comedy