Reminder that anyone who argues that watching dubs cheapens the show is a hypocrite if they watch subs and haven't...

Reminder that anyone who argues that watching dubs cheapens the show is a hypocrite if they watch subs and haven't learned Japanese to watch it in their native speech, rather than superimposed text that can't compare to actual dialogue.

Unless you're deaf, then it's just being ableist.

It's a dubfag tries too hard episode.

It's a there are only four english voice actors and they all sound like a cat with throat cancer episode

Reminder that dubs will always be shit

I don't care too much either way, if it's dubbed, I'll watch that, cause I like to browse the internet while I watch, otherwise, watch the sub's, or don't watch it at all. Whichever.

Code Grass season 2 was hard because they used Shinji's voice for that faggy kid. And I need to keep shinji pure. But he didn't show up much, so I just muted him talking.

why would go against the directors decisions when an adequate alternative is available?

Cause I don't spend my life with someone directors hand rammed up my ass, I guess? What does that question have to do with anything?

So you don't want to discuss the issue, you just want to insult people who do not share your (objectively wrong) opinion you tried to present using big words to make yourself look more intelligent than you really are.

Why are you so pretentious?

I don't care whatcha do, I'm just saying that any arguments about dubs not presenting the show in it's intended form are also true about reading text on the screen instead of actual hearing their words and understanding them.

I am not pretentious. Just pointing out doublethink, dissonance and hipocrisy.

Watching it dubbed means you can't hear the original tone that was intended for the character.
Dubs also tries fix up the translations to fit with the mouth movements.

Yes, that's fair.
However one of them is a better solution for making the viewer understand that does not change the original work in any meaningful way.
Can you guess which solution this is?

Now fuck off, this has been discussed to death.

You're pretentious in the most literal sense of the word, you pretend to be something you're not.

>doublethink
Please don't use this term it makes you look like an edgy teenager who feels like he has something to prove.

>dissonance
So what?
Why do you feel that harmony is something valuable?

>hipocrisy
Nobody is a hypocrite.
Everyone knows that subtitles aren't the ideal solution, but they are the least damaging one.
Unless you can show me another way that makes people understand spoken word in a different language that does not affect the original sound.

Now please fuck off, if you can't offer a better solution.

>Unless you're deaf, then it's just being ableist.
What the fuck?

>ignore op's point entirely
>initiate dub criticism protocol

Whew.

This is true. I watched Code Geass German Dub just recently and I don't regret it.

Sure do, it's called learning Japanese. Fine if you don't want to but it seems silly to criticize other for watching an imperfect version of the show when you yourself do the same.

>Sure do, it's called learning Japanese
Very good.
But this solution you have here is inferior to what we have available, because it requires a ridiculously disproportionate time investment.

Try again.

Makes no difference if you are too lazy, and it's fine if you don't want to. Doesn't change the fact you a hypocrite if you make dubbers.

Mock*

Say, what do you think about Ayn Rand?
It feels like you idolize her, to be honest.

I never could get all the way through her books, she kinda put the message above the story, plus they were fucking long. But I did like Howard Roark as a character, he was neat.

Ayn there had an interesting life, too.

Fuck off DJT.

>Unless you're deaf, then it's just being ableist.
wat

honestly i think learning japanese and watching anime with subs is pretty ok if your listening is advanced

>based atlus will give us dual audio
The memes are strong.

There are a lot of shit dubs out there, of course, but frankly I think that people who think that ALL dubs are terrible are either biased, delusional, or ignorant. We've been voice acting over here for just as long in highly successful movies, TV shows, and cartoons. It's not as if there's something innate that makes it that we can't properly portray a character.

It's fine to prefer subs, I almost always prefer subs too, but at the same time dubs (especially recent dubs) are usually at the minimum passable. The days of dubs that change names, cut content, alter relationships, and censor scenes is pretty much dead. Voices as horrible as Terri's/Linda's Sailor Moon is something I never hear nowadays.

>ALL dubs are terrible are either biased, delusional, or ignorant
And then you proceed to say this:
>We've been voice acting over here
Maybe you should realize that the statement about all dubs being terrible has nothing to do with your particular shithole of a country, but the inherent nature of dubs. Fucking idiot.

I mean in the west you fucking spastic. There is nothing inherent about dubbing that makes it bad, At all.

That's more a case of the translation team being pure garbage.

Hey, just a heads up, but talking like a machine like Japs do is not entertaining.

>This, My persona

Real riveting there. So much emotion. With dialog like that you really are glued to your seat.

>Want to watch an anime clip on YouTube
>It's dubbed

>watching foregin cartoons
>needing any kind of third party translation

are you retarded?

>watching dubs cheapens the show
School girls who sound like 25 year old women speaking American English make a show pretty unwatchable desu

This.

I'm not american, nor a native english speaker for that matter, but I wouldn't really mind it if they spoke NORMALLY. They sound like they're talking to a kid, all cutesy-like. Picture a nurse trying to comfort a 5 year old, this is how they sound like. The male voices are kiiiinda better, but they have a similar problem. Not much of a variety in their voices, either..

>We've been voice acting over here for just as long in highly successful movies, TV shows, and cartoons. It's not as if there's something innate that makes it that we can't properly portray a character.
The problem is the anime dubbing industry still having a pretty miserable level of quality control. I feel like the whole new trend of shitting out dubs barely weeks after the Japan airing is resulting in even less effort being put in (similarly to how the takeover of all subs by Funi/CR means we now are just putting up with error-riddled and inconsistent work, sacrificing quality for speed, though the viewer can at least mentally navigate that.)

Watching with subtitles is a more honest and mentally constructive way of consuming foreign language media. The multi-layered presentation of audio and text means your brain is engaged with the fact that you need a third-party mediation of the language, and is maintaining an active dialogue between what you are hearing, reading and understanding. This also means you are staying critical; when a subber does something stupid, you don't just fall for it, because you are constantly cross-referencing the subs with the other layers. The more you watch, the better you get at this, especially as you start to pick up the rhythms of languages. It creates a subtle distancing effect in the Brechtian sense that actually allows for a more nuanced understanding.
In contrast, a dub is entrusting a bunch of people - who aren't even in the same country as the creators - to help your brain pretend that it already fully understands what it's consuming. (I think someone said something about "harmony"? Lel.) Sometimes if you're lucky, the resulting product might be pleasant and interesting in itself, but the risk might outweigh the potential reward because if you're unlucky your favourite characters will be intrinsically raped by shit dubbing. And it's still denying yourself a learning and growth opportunity.

ESL here, this guy hit the fucking bullseye. I'm no japanese learner, but I've something resembling a light grasp on the Japanese language. I can't speak it nor read it, but I can get the gist of what is being talked about, even without subs.

I'm too old to learn a new language.

>this is how delusional subbers are about the importance of their cartoons

what's the optimal room temperature so I don't accidentally rape my anime experience?

reminder that literally nothing inhibits you from watching subtitles on a dubbed show.

There is no reason you must choose between the two.

Nice excuse