Wait a minute

Wait a minute...

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=mnqj31VPNoE
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_chess_grandmasters
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Draw_(chess)
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I don't understand how this is " illegal move" I mean sure it's stupid and its concealing the game but you should be allowed to so that

you can't check a king with another king, it's illogical, since it puts yourself in check.

José Raúl Capablanca you may now roll in your grave to your heart's content.

Are those both kings?

yes the chess version of classical dividing by zero.

How do you even get your king all the way there?

>CHECK
take his king with your king game over
?????????
>CHECK
pick up your king and bat all his pieces off the board while making laser noises take out toy car from pocket and drive on chess board

>dividing by zero
>Zero

heh

A single frame of Code Geass has more intelligence & depth than every KyoAnus, SHAT, Ass-1, Jesus Christ Shit, Badhouse, and ufotoilet anime combined.

Sasuga Sunrise.

There's also the pawn.

If you see this post while scrolling down this thread, you have been visited by the Aztech Gods of Chess

Great strategy and good games will come to you, but only if you reply ''AWAKEN MY CHESS MASTERS!'' to this post

You can't move into check.

>I don't know the rules of game x
>but I'm going to comment on it anyway!

How do retards like you even live?

I love it when people try to make a character seem smarter by having him like chess
99% of the time all they do is spout chess terms and do stupid shit during chess games

This is just like Yu gi oh
No one know the rules

AWAKEN MY CHESS MASTERS!

Meanwhile this all reminds me of pretty much any shoe containing any form of real game. A big example is "The Wizard" they fucked up a lot of those details in it for the video games.

AWAKEN MY CHESS MASTERS
>tfw I can't win with my dad in chess

You are "allowed" to do that. It's called resigning.

This was already explained through fansubs.

It's not about chess you mongolian rape baby, it's about the move and what it represents.

AWAKEN MY CHESS MASTERS!

R3 OP by Murray Head pls

youtube.com/watch?v=mnqj31VPNoE

I don't want to watch Code Geass, so explain it to me.
Are the characters playing chess wrong on purpose or are the writers/animators so shit they don't even know the rules?

It's been over eight years and we still don't know.

I did my best making this for a "describe anime without showing it" thread.

It is an illegal move. Moving there would automatically make you lose.

Does the Akito show get better? The first episode was shitty, and not in a good way.

>there are people on Sup Forums RIGHT NOW too stupid to understand this scene
I want to think that it's just shitposters pretending to be retarded but this has been going on for fucking 8 years.

2, 3 & 4 are a bit better with a few neet fight scenes and a sexy Drossel robot. Unfortunately, these scenes are too long and get boring.
Ep 5 is shit.

But there's Lulu in there somewhere so you may want to go thru the fire and the flames. I suggest putting it on 2x speed while doing something else.

Was there some deep symbolism behind this retarded and stupid move? Or was it just a really dumb mistake by the writers?

I always interpreted this scene a little too deeply.

So basically Schneizel knows he's making a blatantly illegal move, but he doesn't give a shit. To him, the the point of the match wasn't to win, but to get in Zero's head. By breaking the rules of chess and inventing his own rules to play by, he forces Zero to react accordingly and reveal what kind of strategist he is. Whether Zero reacted to Schneizel's new rules or complained how he was breaking the old rules, he still would have ended up revealing something about himself.

But really, it was probably just a huge oversight because japs are stupid and know nothing about chess.

It gets great. Final episode was really fun AND you get romantic closure.

pure ideology that we simply can't understand

Yeah, it does. Episode 3 wastes so much fuckin time with the main cast, but there's a throwback Lancelot fight scene with Suzaku and Lelouch just for funsies. Then in episode 4 and 5, we go back to the boring main cast and barely see Lelouch and Suzaku again.

Episode 5 is almost all action, if you like the animation and shit, so that's something to look forward to. But the main characters never really change or do anything. The main antagonist is also stupid as fuck, his motivations make him seem like a Naruto villain or something.

Really though, Akito is pretty dull. Like that other user said, fast forward around if you have to.

AWAKEN MY CHESS MASTERS!

In the Code Geass universe chess might but a little different.

Why did you make individual squares for the board?

He lost on purpose

That game can only end in a draw at this point anyways, unless black is good at chess.

White will always block the forward advancement of the pawn and black will always defend the pawn. May as well fuck around because the game is over.

You are among the people that don't understand that in Chess you don't "take" the King like you take any other piece.

You don't beat your opponent when you take the King, you beat your opponent when you checkmate your King.

Now people that don't understand a thing a bit Chess, may think that Lelouch could have technically "won" the game by taking Schneizel's King, but that's simply untrue, Chess doesn't work that way.

To make you understand how much important it is to checkmate in Chess and how much important it is the fact that the King cannot move into check, just look at this picture, and ponder on the fact that if black was the last to move, this would be a draw.

> when you checkmate your King

I meant to say "your opponent's King" of course...

I'm 20 and I still don't know how to play Chess

takes like 5 minutes to learn how to play if you just read up how each piece is suppose to move.

Isn't there a point system for cases like this?

Some rules seems to to take a while for people to understand them, for example the "en passant" rule.

>just look at this picture, and ponder on the fact that if black was the last to move, this would be a draw.
Who came up with this retarded rule?

What if the guy puts his king in check without anyone noticing?

No the only way to win is checkmate
Chess 'points' are mearly a number assigned to the value of each piece for tracking who has a piece advantage

Nope, the match is considered a draw for both.
Now in tournaments this would never happen, as contestant assume their opponent would never be so dumb as to let them reach a stalemate such as this one.

But if you are playing against a beginner you might be able to avoid losing by baiting them into a stalemate even if you have only a King left.

Yeah it may look ridiculous, but the rules are enforcing players to win through checkmate and checkmate only. If you make a blatant mistake like this and end up in a stalemate you don't deserve to win.

He's right though. Instead of making nonsense rules just make getting your king captured a loss.

>a decade later and some people think this is an oversight
Lelouch says a million times in the series, "A king must act before his pawns" or something, and this is the exact picture metaphor of this, there's a king and a pawn, so the idea of Zero acting for his pawns to follow is right there.

False, that position isn't even allowed. A person who puts their king next to another isn't playing chess, they're playing calvinball, made up nonsense

Someone please fucking explain this shit very autistically, move by move to me, I can't even understand it.

Why can't the Japs play chess? Is there even a single slant grandmaster?

White can't move the king because it'll be in checkmate position or whatever so the player can't make a move apparently and apparently this results in a draw.

All there is to it is that the king can't make any legal moves therefore the game ends in stalemate.

If black ended the turn with that setup, and thus it's white's turn to move, the white king cannot move without getting into check.

check this

Asians play better games that humans aren't worse at than phones.

Because they play more complex games like Shoji and Go you faggot

Green squares are where the king could move, red arrows show which squares the pieces the arrows are coming from are attacking.

Moving into a square that is being attacked would place the king in check, and placing your own king in check is an illegal move. White has no legal moves -> Eternal stalemate -> Game is declared a draw.

This. If you can't checkmate the enemy with the amount of pieces you have vs a single king properly, then you don't deserve to win.

>move by move

That's the problem user-kun. White King cannot make any legal moves because they would all place him into Check. The King isn't allowed to place himself into Check. Thus, the game ends in a Stalemate because White cannot take his turn.

Did the nips react at all when this happened on is this purely Sup Forums autism?

Ah, I get it now. Is there a particular reason why you aren't allowed to move yourself into check, or is it just a rule because it's a rule? Is it supposed to award the wits of White?

>Be shit for brains Jap who can't compete with the white man in the most intellectual sport
>Invent your own games no one else plays so you never lose
Really dynamizes the cerebellum.

Because moving into check means your king gets taken on the other guy's turn. As for why it ends in a stalemate instead of a victory/loss, who knows. It's a retarded illogical rule if I ever saw one.

>Is there a particular reason why you aren't allowed to move yourself into check
You can't make a move that would result in your loss.
>is it supposed to award the wits of White?
More like punish black.

Does Nakamura count?

Wow, this game is gay as fuck. Any reasonable person would say that that's a black victory.

Japs can't into chess.

Not really, If you got that amount of pieces and still can't corner White properly, then you're absolutely fucking braindead and doesn't deserve to win.

I wasn't talking about the shit you see in the anime but about this case

TLDR: It keeps you from accidentally losing. All rules are arbitrary though.

>there are people in Sup Forums who doesn't know how to play chess

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_chess_grandmasters

Even Vietnam and Philippines has grandmasters yet Japan has none.

Except the rule clearly hinders the winning player, in this case black, for requiring them to win in a very specific way. In fact you would possibly take extra turns setting up a checkmate just to avoid that stalemate situation, making it actually harder to win, not harder to fail.

I think I understand chess a bit better now. I always looked at it as a "war simulator" or something akin to that, but I guess it's supposed to be more of a mind game than anything.

>specific way
But anybody who plays chess to any sort of degree would know not to let that one square be open for the king to move to and understand the details of a checkmate.

Fucking retard if it's Black's Turn he can step the right Rook up a square to win. If he has that much of a commanding lead and still ends up in a Stalemate.

I mean shit, even actual fucking children know that the easiest Checkmate in the game is two rooks. Create two lines that the King can't cross and he's done. In the example Black has at a glance every single fucking piece. It shouldn't take more than one turn to kill a king in a scenario like that. (to be honest, the scenario itself is unlikely, as the King most likely would have fallen much earlier)

It's easier to do a stalemate than a checkmate.

To be fair, it's really not that bad since they have their own chess.

Thinking of it as a war simulator was never a correct way to look at it.

Even if it were a wargame simulator mind games and strategy would still be a big part. It'd just be easier to lose.

If you're good enough to end in that pic's situation and you're not playing an actual retard then you can probably handle that without ever getting into a stalemate position.

''AWAKEN MY CHESS MASTERS!''

That doesn't change the facts. user implied the rule doesn't matter because it's easy to avoid when the rule very obviously does matter because it creates 1 more losing/draw scenario and therefore 1 less win scenario. It makes zero sense to say it "punishes" black because the rule literally makes it harder for black to win. You could only say it punishes black if the rule helped black but black fucked up anyway. It's like saying black gets to start with 3 queens but if he doesn't win in 10 turns it's a draw because black is stupid. It completely goes against all logic.

Talking about Code Geass and Chess there is another interesting case from Episode1.

That's where Lelouch comes to the rescue of a on old man (black) that was playing against an aristocrat (white).

According to Rivalz this is a desperate situation and there's no way for Lelouch to win.

But if you carefully analize the board you realize that it's actually the opposite. The old man didn't need any help has it had already won. White can only stall things a bit but cannot prevent black from winning in any way.

Lelouch boastfully claims that he can win the game in 9 minutes, but this would actually take less.

No, it changes quite a bit. If the situation were reversed with all white pieces and a lone Black King it's still a Stalemate. The rule doesn't favor either side.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Draw_(chess)

Originally it was a war simulation game and it probably didn't have the strict stalemate rule that we have now.

There have been a shittons of chess variations through times and the many regions that played it, from India trhought Arabs and to Europe.

What we have now is a refined version of Chess which, yes, is a lot more like a mind game than a war simulation.

AWAKEN MY CHESS MASTERS

I was obviously referring to the aforementioned situation, not in general. The rule lowers the chances of the winning player winning, while giving the losing player a chance to draw. That's a simple fact.

>The rule lowers the chances of the winning player winning
And?

And so it's stupid to blame the winning player if they draw because of the rule, because the rule is literally made to lower their chances of winning.

It's stupid because it allows someone who has no chance of winning to not lose because of reasons.