How much value do you put into visual direction?

How much value do you put into visual direction?

The only cool image is top middle

None. I'm blind.

Visual direction only works when it aids the story or flow of the show. Most stuff we recognize as amazing visual direction actually stands out too much and is superfluous. Its the reason I can't watch shaft and trigger shows. All flash, no substance.

That one is shit though.

Naruto is a horrible example of visual direction. Except the one Shikimaru flashback episode. Its like the entire animation budget for the whole season went into that one episode.

Wish I could find just that one episode and rewatch it.

>Naruto is a horrible example of visual direction.
naruto looks better than your favorite anime

>naruto looks better than your favorite anime
>a bunch of cherry picked movie shots
I can do that too user. And yes, this is my favorite anime.

Looks like shit compared to what he's posting.

There's no soul or passion behind this shot.

Fuck off Naruto is trash. There's nothing special about those shots.

I think you need to get your eyes checked. The trash you're posting is laughable at best and looks like the work of an amateur with no concept of what makes anime look good.

Visual direction Is only one part of what makes a good anime. There have been many shows in the past that have totally shit BUDGET visuals, but they still turn out to be enjoyable enough. Pic related for example.

On the other extreme you you have some series that focus entirely too much on unique visuals and style, and you end up with 21 minutes focusing on architecture and chairs.

You need a balance of many things for a series to be AOTY, but an anime can still be good enough if it is a lacking in one or more of them.

Lucky Star was a pretty high quality series

Why is it that the person that makes these images never picks anything with good visual direction?

These shots are all absolutely plain.

What the hell?

>what makes anime look good
You literally just posted one of the most generic looking grids I've ever seen.

Because he's a fucking idiot who just wants to shill Naruto.

As much as I hate to defend the shitposter, he actually posted stuff from the TV series. 480 - 483 were directed and storyboarded by Kobayashi Osamu. I haven't watched them yet, but they look pretty damn good.

naruto makes anno look like an amateur desu

they show no style, no grace, they say nothing about being human

>soul or passion
Its a city landscape. Of course it isn't going to have a human connection. But your images aren't helping your own point. There's still plenty of scenes in the movie I'm referencing that have more 'passion' than a Naruto movie. Which is mostly just shots of Naruto grimacing and yelling while everyone else gets battered and ignored.

Hahah what the fuck are you serious
I've never bothered to see either series and it's clear that is at least attempting some interesting scenes, where pretty much every naruto cap you've posted is uninspired trite

>On the other extreme you you have some series that focus entirely too much on unique visuals and style, and you end up with 21 minutes focusing on architecture and chairs.
GONZO and Bee Train.

Also, you and are correct.

>every naruto cap you've posted is uninspired trite
like i said, get your eyes checked

this thread is for people who actually understand how cinema can speak to its audience, and those shots don't say anything of importance

Can we post ACTUAL intelligent cinegrids now? and not this Naruto bullshit?

now this is just downright ugly

naruto looks better than any of the garbage you can possibly post though

I'm done taking the bait now. Have fun in your shitty thread.

Remember when Naruto threads that were decent used to get deleted? This one is total bait and its still up. Good job janitors.

>this thread about an anime that i don't like which actually attempts to discuss anime's merits as a visual medium is bait because i say so

So I'm guessing these cinegrids are from the one episode every two cours that they hire a fuckload of freelance key animators for.

Also almost anything would look better framed like this.

>one episode every two cours
naruto's last 10 episodes have looked better than any TV anime in history

So episodes that they hired a fuckload of freelance key animators for, I see.

Shittiest thread of the month? Shittiest thread of the month.

I get that you're fucking around but I find a couple of to be interesting enough to discuss regardless. Especially the shot of the character leaning up against the apartment window.

It's clear to the viewer that there's a window there, but there's an underlying fear of falling backwards towards death - the visible skyline and the tiers of the building indicate the height of the character relative to the ground, and the thin, almost invisible shield preventing them from hurtling towards death.

In the screenshot, there's no hint of a balcony. Maybe it's just a window. Maybe there really isn't anything there. The possibility of death being so close and the character's apparent lack of care is a neat juxtaposition. It might only be for a moment, but a viewer can read a lot into something like that.

I really hope you didn't spend all your time making these OP, that would be pretty sad.