desuarchive.org/a/thread/139829939/#139842314
bato.to/reader#0c1fe6e14b8bd2b0
bookwalker.jp/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>What do you wish got picked up?
Magdala de Nemure

WANTED:

REDRAWER WITH DEEP MASOCHISM STREAK, FOR BAKI SERIES

We need a redrawer who can manage some pretty unfair redraws, and we need them soon. If you're looking for a challenge to put on your scanlation resume, this would be it.

Sample of what you could be up against.

I'm running extraordinarily thin on patience, and on steam by which to redraw this stuff myself. Help me.

Can anyone tell me how to get raws of the magazine "Manga Time Special"?

How good of a tool is Indesign for scanlation? I thought it was mainly used for graphic/logo design

Any tips or guides for a someone looking to be a typesetter?

This site seems to have a fair number of its releases:
mangapod.blog.jp/archives/2079532.html

Your problem navigating it, though.

>How's your current project?
Stalled, probably dropped. My user translator disappeared. What do? ;_;

Don't think so hard about it.

Look again at the manga that you've read, and recognize what you do and do not like about their typesetting. Use what you like; and experiment with original or unusual ideas that you have whenever given the opportunity. Use Google to find new and interesting fonts. That's about all there is to typesetting.

prettyanonymo.us/index.php/scanlation-resources/anonblacks-typesetting-guide/

>2014
Sorry, I meant the 2016 (soon 2017) releases.

>I thought it was mainly used for graphic/logo design

You're thinking of Illustrator there. InDesign is basically a typesetting program, and I've heard from editors it's quite pleasant to use once you get everything set up, but I wouldn't recommend using it for scanlation purposes because getting good quality exports out of it for digital releasing is more tricky compared to just using save for web from Photoshop.

I never looked at this guide until now and, looking at it now as someone who's been typesetting for ~1 year, almost all of this was immediately intuitive. I can't see why anyone would really need to read this, unless they were unfamiliar with manga in general.

The only major part that I disagree with is the whole 'leaving out punctuation' thing. Ellipses exist for a reason. They're important.

I cannot find anywhere that it's scanned for free, but I *can* link you the Jap Amazon, where they are all available.

amazon.co.jp/b?node=47304011

Sorry that I can't be of more help.

>Mom comes in while I'm typesetting a loli doujin
>Quickly alt tab, turn to her and talk about some inane bullshit until she leaves
>Turn back to my screen
>There's loli pussy plastered all over my screen
>I'd alt tabbed to the raw which I had open in another window for some stupid fucking reason

KILL ME AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

>Living with your parents
>Or at the very least not having a lock on your door.

She didn't disown you on the spot, so she might be an okay parent

>alt tab
>not win+D

it's your fucking fault

Link the image.

>almost all of this was immediately intuitive
You'd think so but it really isn't.

discord?

I once linked a new chapter of an ecchi manga that a friend reads over facebook, only to find out that I accidentally sent it to a group chat of all people back from highschool.

That looks like it was made in paint. There's a difference between normal intuition and the intuition of a retard.

What? If you're asking to contact me, I can give you my email. It's right here: desuarchive.org/a/thread/139829939/#139842314

Not reposting it again because lolscrapers.
Hit me up there, anyway.

that's why you windows+d instead of alt+tab, unless you have a shameful wallpaper.

>How do I look her in the face from now on?
By holding your head high, obviously.

You did nothing wrong.

With the news of the new season of Code Geass, I wish someone could finish translating the Code Geass OZ manga and the sequel OZ 02

Are you going to actually help us or not? Because, as I said in my original post, I'm looking for someone to consistently aid us.

One-off freebies from people in these threads may help in a nebulous way - and I appreciate your aid in that right - but I really do need a true, consistent redrawer. There's no real deadlines or anything, so it wouldn't be a high-pressure job. Just a yes/no, and why would be nice.

>Reading loli hentai
>Nothing wrong

Pick one.

YES WHERE DID YOU GET THE TL SENPAI I WAS WAITING FOR THIS TO GET DONE ALREADY

Now your mother know that you're a pedo, I hope that she pick a good shrink for you.

check your mail

MangaHelpers translations are up to date with the raw at

That was actually useful, thanks, user.

>MangaHelpers
That site is still relevant? Also, are there even that many titles with TL scripts being done and just left there with nobody typesetting them?

Well, everything there is pretty basic common sense and decent taste, but you have to take a quick look at the panda or batoto to know there's a fuckload of retards that don't have either.

>The only major part that I disagree with is the whole 'leaving out punctuation' thing. Ellipses exist for a reason. They're important.

I think you confused Yes with No in this part, since it says quite explicitly to "Punctuate every line".

maybe not as relevant scanlation wise as it once was but you can still find some neat stuff there

and regarding your second question, no, there aren't that many translations that exist without someone typesetting them

Seeking a translator for Halcyon Lunch. It's a nice non-school comedy, just like Ohikkoshi. Japanese subculture knowledge is required.
[email protected]

>I think you confused Yes with No in this part
I was looking at 302. It's mere personal preference, but I much prefer having a great number of ellipses rather than none.

Seeming how BookWalker finally jumped on the train and is now offering a web viewer as well, do we have a tool for ripping or something?

It's like when me and my dad were doing something at his computer and I just opened a picture of some preggo woman he had.

>I much prefer having a great number of ellipses rather than none.
An ellipsis implies that the speaker paused while talking, which usually isn't the case for something split across multiple bubbles. A comma is usually enough, so ellipses should be saved for actual pauses. If you use them all the time, the reader won't be able to tell when they mean something and when they don't.

Oh, yeah, it's pretty much up to personal taste in those cases.
I normally use ellipses but every once in a while I leave them out.
It depends on the content and context, for me at least.

>no ebook
Oh well. I wanted to try picking up that OL manga, but it seems like the universe doesn't want that.

3rd chapter when?

Map Layer->Align->Vertical to F1. Once you have your text layer typeset, use the marquee tool to select the vertical boundaries of the speech bubble and press F1, and the text will be centered.

I can't even read this, but I know this is epic.

>uooooooohhh
>a-ahhhhhhhhh

What riveting dialogue.

Jesus Christ.

bump

pity bump

Just a friendly reminder that if you output your scans as jpgs you are fucking cancer.

What about color pages?

That makes it even worse, color makes artifacting worse.

It's fine to offer jpg versions for people who don't care and have shit internet, but fuck you if you don't also make a png set for people who want the max quality.

I only had one book there, so I don't know if the goes higher for some books, but the resolution seems crap.

Depends on the label, as usual.
This one's 1441x2048 according to the configuration_pack.json.

Oh, nice. Should be worth writing a ripper for it then.

Yeah, I've been inspecting it a bit and it seems like there's no way to actually rip the canvas since it's always drawing it specifically for your browser resolution.
There's a dummy canvas which will at least give you the actual resolution of the image, though.
Maybe this can be combined somehow. Or someone simply figures out the scrambling algorithm.

Sadly, I don't know how to do either.

Is it pure js+HTML5? I clicked on some sample and got a retarded flash reader

Anyway, it shouldn't be THAT difficult to find the descrambling code even in obfuscated js, locate the place where image is passed to the canvas and work your way back from there

Are the G Gundam manga ever gonna get scanned, let alone translated?

Would anybody wanna work on that?

Oh wait, it's probably the same viewer as Jump+ and Comic Walker, in that case look for the old tools and the chink NodeJS one, the decryption and descrambling shouldn't be different, the NodeJS tool worked fine last time I checked

>Or someone simply figures out the scrambling algorithm.
I had a quick look at the code. Thankfully there's none of that emscripten crap EBJ uses. Seems like they just ran it through a minifier and that's it. I believe it should be possible to reverse engineer it without too much effort. I'll take a closer look and perhaps write a ripper for it if doesn't turn out to be harder than I thought.

Also, the function in the pic seems to suggest they might be watermarking the canvases with a barcode.

People, newfags and many "oldfags" alike, can't even figure out have to save scans and you want them to intuitively know how to make readable typeset? It's like you expect them to read any manga beforehand and learn from it.

So canvas ripping would be a no go then.
Thanks, in case you figure something out and it doesn't turn out to be too hard.
Yes, it does look more or less identical to Comic Walker, which is no surprise since they're partners or something along these lines.

Their samples are some shitty flash, with wrong resolutions and all. Changing the user agent to something mobile will remove the flash requirement but the resolutions and all are going to be shit, still.
I believe you'll need to have a bought one to test it properly.

>It's like you expect them to read any manga beforehand and learn from it.
That's exactly what I expect
;_;

Good luck then, too bad they're probably going to start changing shit around once they notice someone made a tool like they did with the desktop reader, the user database is encrypted and they pack the executable with some .NET protector

>That makes it even worse, color makes artifacting worse.
You save b/w and pages with few colors in png.
You save color pages in jpg with 92-100 quality.
That's common sense. Jpg at 92% and more quality almost don't have artifacts and the size is 2-3+ times less than png24. And most of all, usually people getting scans from internet or rip e-books which already have scans with jpg artifacts, so saving colors scans in png24 won't make them any better, and saving with 92-100% won't make them any worse.

which group is this

There's not much groups with scanlate Overlord. Though you hardly can call /ak/ "group" when any random fagot can take their translation/scans and typeset it.

>which scanlate

It may not be that noticable, but it's still a loss in quality, and at least autists like myself do see it.

Storage is super fucking cheap nowadays, you can get a 3 tb hard drive for 100$. There's really no excuse to not save everything as pngs, beyond Sup Forums's file size limit to post shit to it.

Internet bandwitdh is a concern, but that's why you do both then and just give people the fucking option.

That might be up Zeonic Scanlations' alley, try contacting them about it.

>and at least autists like myself do see it
You can't see any "loss" at 100% unless you use photoshop. And you can't make it any better when your scan already having artifacts, much less if you don't even clean/level it.
>Storage is super fucking cheap nowadays, you can get a 3 tb hard drive for 100$. There's really no excuse to not save everything as pngs, beyond Sup Forums's file size limit to post shit to it.
And that's why we have retards who saves all scans in png24 and with transparency. Having "cheap" storage doesn't excuse you from using your head. Here's perfect example of your mindset taken to extreme: bato.to/reader#0c1fe6e14b8bd2b0 Try to read/list whole chapter for full experience.

bump

last bump

I wish I had some typesetters

ole golazo

Maybe if it avoids the axe, then somebody will do it.

for what

Is it alright to not make blacks as black as they can as long as the white balance is okay?

You'll hate yourself if you ever get a black bubble.

Yep, making the blacks black and whites white usually loses details. It was done a long time ago by the scanlation scene because the quality of the scans were absolute trash and doing it tended to hide the flaws but now? There's no point.

What about flecks of white within the blacks? Technically, if I were to resize this down to a 2000x size, these white specks would completely disappear, but if I were to release it as is (3000~ x 4000~), these specks would be visible.

Should I even bother worrying about them?

Nadeshiko Doremisora

There's no reason to release anywhere near 3000-4000, so problem solved.

I'm really glad to hear that, thanks. I was worried I'd have to go through all the black spots manually

You can clean it with actions, though if scan will stay at this resolution and you intend to clan everything then some details might suffer. Cleaning, downsizing, cleaning, downsizing and cleaning again, etc is the usual method.

LOVE LIVE MANGA

It's being done because png compressing simple colors much better, and scans doesn't look like dog shit.

Some manga projects I stalled on because of lack of staff

Which manga

So, where do you guys get raws? I've been trying to get the raws for Hinamaru Smile with no results.

bookwalker.jp/

I can rip it if this resolution and quality works for you.

I just wish we got more cleaners/redrawers for samon-kun

Yes please.