I've been wanting to get into Gundam, but I don't watch that much anime...

I've been wanting to get into Gundam, but I don't watch that much anime. The first and only series I recall watching was 08th MS Team, so I'm unsure where to start, or what is worth getting invested into.

Other urls found in this thread:

uk-anime.net/anime/Gundam:_Reconguista_in_G_-_Complete_Series_Collection.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Seed and then Seed Destiny, both in remastered version.

Then Origins.

Then Turn A.

Then 00.

Thats it - you watched all relevant Gundams. in before buthurt UC and Wing fags

Start with 0079 and then go in production order.

Build Fighters 1st

0079 is good to go even if you don't intend to get into Gundam.

>0079
You mean the show with horrible production quality and writing and that was cancelled when it aired? i.e. litterally the worst Gundam ever?

There were multiple attempts to fix it since then, the newest being Origin.

You're bad people

Watch 00 and IBO, the rest are absolutely fucking irrelevant.
If you MUST watch more gundam, please don't watch anything that came out prior to the year 2000. They're all garbage.

Yes. The best Gundam series.

Do yourself a favor and watch 0079 as the three movies. They'll give you everything you need to know to progress further without needing to plow your way through the Monster of the Week shitshow that the entire series turned into.

Will that meme ever die? Even Tomino is ashamed of it.

Just rewatch 08th MS Team. It's by far the best series. Then spin a roulette wheel if you want to watch more. You're guaranteed to land on something worse.

>it's shit because it wasn't that popular at the time

Never? Because it's good.

And it shouldn't matter if Tomino is ashamed of it or not, not only he is crazy, he is also a perfectionist. I wouldn't be surprised if he thinks Gundam is a mistake.

But that is the point. Original series was horrible - since when there were multiple attempts to fix it: compilation movies, retelling in AU which essentially was seed, proper rettlling now with Origins. Only person that would recommend original series is the one that want to turn people away from Gundam franchize.

In japan Gundam only became popular with Zeta , and 0079 only became prominent as prequel to its "sequels" as Char`s Counterattack, War in the Pocket etc.

Its a thing you watch if you want to be educated after you are already Gundam fan and want all of it - but unlike say SDF Macross, its by no means good show - failing in every aspect: pace, animation, story and it didnt age well at all.

I would not recommend anyone to start with Zeta, though.

I would not recommend any new fan to start with old series at all. For all their failings, its better to watch 00, Unicorn, hell even IBO and G-Reco. Then move to classics like Turn A, War in the Pocket, Char`s counter attack. Then Seed, Wing, After War. And if want to complete then 0079 and Victory.

As much one might value timeline and continuity, the anime is in the end about enjoying watching it now - especially as there is opportunity to watch it in modern version which is Origin.

08th MS Team,

Stardust Memory

Origins,

Zeta,

Double Zeta,

Char's Counterattack

Thunderbolt,

Unicorn.

Not necessarily in order.

G-reco is terrible, like someone watched Turn-A and Seed, snorted meth and cocaine, and decided to combine the two,

Why did you put commas after some of those, but not all of them?

Not watching ZZ if you are into Gundam should be a crime.

OP here, why are all the first series frowned upon? I was under the impression they were the best.

It's not, just one manchild who thinks it is and doesn't understand the context from which the first series came from.

Just watch Thunderbolt. If you like Gundam without the awful Gundam-isms, you'll like Thunderbolt a LOT.

Thunderbolt's quite possibly my personal favorite Gundam. It's as bleakly nihilistic as you can get. (I was personally really disappointed with the ending of the 08th MS Team.)

I'm disappointed with most anime endings, it's like a recurring trend in Japan to end their series in the worst possible way, which is why I deviated from the medium.

>Gundam only became popular with Zeta
Nice revisionist faggot, Zeta might have the biggest rating at that time, but Gundam's popularity was boomed with MSG rerun and the movie trilogy.

I completely agree.

Don't listen to people opinions when it come to gundam and just watch what look like interesting.

For every gundam someone like you're going to have anything between two and five people who will shit on it.

I'll say that the cameo stuff is half the fun of later entries. I just finished rewatching Stardust Memory for the first time in probably fifteen years and I never realized how many bits of 0080, Z, and ZZ were in it, just as much as Unicorn.

It made the whole series make so much more sense now since I'd seen all the others before this time around.

Thunderbolt!

Short, simple, sweet, and it looks good to boot

You're right, as it's true with most entertainment, especially games. I just wasn't sure if there was a general consensus on Gundam here at Sup Forums, which I should've known better. Didn't mean to start a thread war.

>compilation movies,

Yeah and Zeta movies were so good oh wait they sucked even more than the Zeta TV series.
To top it also off it's one of the biggest hack jobs I have ever seen in my entire life.

I can only imagine the face of the people who test screened that garbage

Turn A is the only good Gundam.

Nah, they all suck

I would kill for more gundam story's with the same tone as thunderbolt, call me edgy but thunderbolt just nails the grim wartime atmosphere and has some of the most engaging characters in the UC.
And holy shit man, that animation and colour plate.

what do you mean by
>,
>
>,
>,
>,
>,
>,
>.

?

>G-Reco
>Not G-Recturd

Your lack hatred

I enjoyed how it revolved around mostly a single objective without getting sidetracked with other shit. Still had some Drama but it never detracted enough from the mission and the MC knew exactly the shit kinda situation he was in and knew completing the mission was one of the few if only ways out.

In my opinion the best way to get into Gundam is to watch the most modern one first, then go by recommendations or the "best order". Gundam Orphans is the most recent one, there are about 30-something episodes out now. It is in an isolated universe unlike UC or some other Gundam Series.

I agree with you. I tried to watch 0079 when I was getting into Gundam and was astounded at how poor it was.

While /m/ and delusional Gundamfags think it is a masterpiece, any reasonable person will recognize it as complete garbage.

Turn A and Wing a best.

Zeta fags are this delusional

He's right though.

If 0079 is garbage then the rest of Gundam is utter dog shit

use the current chart, it fixes issues

>Watch 00 and IBO, the rest are absolutely fucking irrelevant.
Cool lies
G-Reco was better than Turn A though.
Wrong, it's one of the lesser entries if anything

>general consensus
>Sup Forums

00 is garbage and so is seed

ZEON DID NOTHING WRONG

wrong and wrong

UC is only good gundam

indeed. Losing the war was the right think for space filth to do

No, just Tomino Gundam.

Although, people should still watch 0079 because of it's importance, still not that great though.

08th MS Team had the most realistic war depiction for ground battles instead of SUPER FAST HAYAI PROTOTYPE ROBOT BLOWING UP MOONS, which is why I enjoy it the most.
Only thing that ruined it was the shitty romance and MC becoming a pussy pacifist like normal in Gundam.

Thunderbolt is great too.

>watch IBO

>most realistic war depiction for ground battles
>Gouf spiderman swinging around

Gundam 0079 movie trilogy(the original gundam is not very good but it has some nice points and you need it to understand later entries)
Zeta Gundam TV series(the first 7 episodes or so are pretty mediocre as it doesn't seem like the series knows where it wants to go, but it gets a lot better after that)
ZZ gundam(optional, it has only 15 or so good episodes the rest is awful filler.
Char's Counterattack

do whatever you want after that

this guy gets it

Gundam isn't for casuals

Thunderbolt was on point. But freejazz is shite.

Is Wing actually bad? I remember enjoying it. Tallgeese was a pure best.

They really should just remove Kudelia. Her arc should have been resolved like somewhere in the middle of first season, desu, right now they have her around just for the sake of it.

Rather than all the autists who ate just trying to smother you in charts like watching a show is meant to be a midterm assignment, I thought that Reconguista in G, while flawed, was a nice little self-contained and light-hearted colourful mecha adventure.

uk-anime.net/anime/Gundam:_Reconguista_in_G_-_Complete_Series_Collection.html

Ignore the faggots who say it's "too confusing", they're just retards who can't cope if everything isn't spelled out in exposition.