Let's address the industry and come up with ways to improve it

Let's address the industry and come up with ways to improve it.

It is quite obvious that the business of anime is very inefficient. However with the recent trends of studio interactions with China, could there be a chance of a push for an international anime market?

Other urls found in this thread:

japantoday.com/category/arts-culture/view/japan-ink-how-anime-is-building-business-ties-with-china
hollywoodreporter.com/news/global-2015-box-office-revenue-851749
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-09-29/report-anime-industry-up-12-percent-in-2015/.107055
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>9400 a year
bait

If you want anime to stay the way it is and not be too influenced by Western ideology and censorship then there's nothing that can be done.

>ways to improve it
Buy more BD and merchandize
Start up your own anime company
Buy more manga so anime companies pick up those popular manga

japantoday.com/category/arts-culture/view/japan-ink-how-anime-is-building-business-ties-with-china

I hope Chinese and Japanese anime studios pop up, then they would certainly flood the industry with so many ideas and renew the energy that's been waning in the last decade

> CG animators earning more than twice the amount regular animators do
It's an insult to life itself.

>Quick and Efficient
>Highly technical

I really don't know what Miyazaki is bitching about

Anime producers are quite happy with the way the industry works.
Lots of anime studios that make lots of anime for very cheap pay.
Dumb animators who are too ignorant of wanting better treatment ensures that anime is a very profitable business.

>It's an insult to life itself.
I like this meme

>9400 a year
>bait

Sadly, no.

How is the "college student" making twice as much? Isn't she a fucking part timer?

She makes key frames, while the animator is just your inbetween slave.

Wasn't diesel just doing random research on shit?

Then what does the part timer do?

Voice act minor roles.

>It is quite obvious that the business of anime is very inefficient
Yeah, they should do their stuff more like we do in the west, so they'll have the same success that we do.
Sounds like a good idea, maybe we should teach them how to cook fish and write moonrunes next.

precisely

>Let's address the industry and come up with ways to improve it.

stop piraiting, doofus

>It is quite obvious that the business of anime is very inefficient

Yeah, industry that makes half of Hollywood's revenue while investing many times less money and grows over 10% every year for years is clearly inefficient.

>Yeah, industry that makes half of Hollywood's revenue

bait?

hollywoodreporter.com/news/global-2015-box-office-revenue-851749

>38 billion $

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-09-29/report-anime-industry-up-12-percent-in-2015/.107055

>18 billion $

/thread

Lots of things regarding anime production that could be fixed, but you can't criticize them for lack of efficiency. Adding international funding would only slow things down honestly, more voices that need to be heard and want to see their mark on their investment.

>box office revenue grew 49% in China

>anime streaming revenue grew 78.7% in China

Chinks like anime more than burger crap. Wew.

>renew the energy
Have you seen chink media? They're even more creatively bankrupt than Hollywood, I kid you not. Even HK hasn't been quite as good they used to be. The chinese will just be wanting more of the same thing the jap's already churning out. On top of that, you can expect more xianxia getting animated. You think SAO/Mahouka etc are Mary Sue? Wait till you see xianxia.

I can honestly and genuinely say partnering up with America will produce better quality works than the Chinese. I'm not kidding.

> Chinks like anime more than burger crap
Amusing. How do you think the older post-war generation reacts to their children and grandchildren masturbating to pictures of underage girls, drawn by their main cultural enemy and eternal nemesis?

Can you elaborate a bit more on this? As far as I know, the companies have been headstrong and I haven't seen them stray yet. I understand that there will always be complaints, but it's pretty much the localizations that have (at most) been effected.

Very true, Chinese new money is a scourge on this planet and they lack any class or taste. It would be no different for anime. For reference the latest venture from Chinese funding is the Warcraft movie. Commies don't make good art. Only half joking.

Can you elaborate a bit more on this? As far as I know, most animation companies have been headstrong and I haven't seen them stray yet. I understand that there will always be complaints, but it's pretty much the localizations that have (at most) been affected.

(Fixed due to a typo)

They don't give a shit abut the west.

Bandai made over 5 billion $ in 2015. 6% of that from Americas.

Noooo. We westerners still matter
;_;

Well, fact is westerners aren't leeching pirates that don't spend money while China does. I was surprised at how much they make up the international revenue.

How? We only make up a fraction of revenue from the merchandise and BDs alone.

God damn it, where are the french when you need them! Even though those guys are always being smug about being the biggest weeb nation (Or at least one of the biggest since I think taiwan is pretty damn weeb too and I don't see them losing out to the french)

Buyfaggers never mattered.
It was always only the big middlemen companies that mattered for the anime producers.

This, anime is insanely successful for a cultural industry. The only other cultural industry that can widely export its products is Hollywood, and every other country can pretty much only produce insular cultural products for its only consumption.

Also, anime is incredibly cheap to produce, while still providing top-tier quality. Chinese investors frequently prefer to hire Japanese studios instead of cheap Chinese ones to do adaptions,because the cost is worth it for the quality.

Japan is a country where a 1% growth is considered decent, so anime booming at 10%+ is simply astronomical, Japan's star industry one would say.

The chinese are willing to spend money, huge money to feed the Jap animators. Artistic integrity doesn't mean shit if the creators are starving, greying out with no new animators coming in. More money is always a good thing for a industry that sorely lacks investment.

I'm very much aware of that. My original post was directed entirely at for thinking that it would "flood the industry with so many ideas and renew the energy".

With that said though:
> More money is always a good thing for a industry that sorely lacks investment.
I kind of doubt that. Investing while maintaining the same arrangement and system isn't going to improve the situation. If anything, it might lead to more starving animators to meet more demand. And China certainly isn't in any rush to push Japan into changing the landscape, because you know, China, they aren't exactly known for giving a shit about employee welfare.

>Investing while maintaining the same arrangement and system isn't going to improve the situation
Yep, just look at the American public education system.

You think they are doing it out of the goodness of their heart or because they want the industry to thrive? They are trying to make a profit on a growing industry. That's the worst thing you can introduce into an artistic pursuit. The only thing a larger budget does is increase expectations and anxiety amongst everyone involved. I can't agree that foreign investments can only be beneficial, maybe there are aspects that can be improved from it, but in the long run its not a good thing for creativity. And for me personally, especially with the decline of western media over the past few years, I don't want anything else influencing my anime. Certainly not chink dollars from corrupt currency inflating new rich.

There are no more starving animators, Japan has almost no unemployment, so to attract more animators, you'd basically have to raise wages. It will take a while due to Japanese conservatism against wage raises (decades of deflation), but it will eventually happen.

China used to not give a shit about employee welfare because they didn't have to, too many workers willing to work. But in some industries where talent is rare, like the IT industry, the big companies in China emulate Silicon valley practices to attract talent. They won't explicitly promote employee welfare in Japan, but the money they hand out will naturally do so. Even animators in China are warning that their current treatment is too GOOD and reminds them of a bubble because the industry is booming too fast.

Jesus christ are you 5 or something? Trying to make a profit is a bad thing for an artistic pursuit?

The only thing a larger budget does is to ensure animators don't have to worry about paying rent and producers not worrying about bankruptcy.

Ever wondered why 2007 was such a good year for anime? It was because that was when the industry had the most ever money, now in 2016 the industry's size has finally recovered to 2007 levels. It is something to truly rejoice and be grateful for.

Okay well now that you've taken the polar opposite position of what I wrote, I think the truth is somewhere in the middle. Obviously there's nothing wrong with wanting to make a profit, but that doesn't mean there aren't problems that come from something like a huge budget. I don't know why you think a larger budget will all somehow go directly to the lowest paid staff but that seems like a separate issue. I also agree with you about 2007 etc, I was just talking specifically about Chinese investment and that's just my personal opinion because of reasons that don't involve anime so I'll just leave it at that.

Anime doesn't have a huge budget, a massive production like Your Name was made with a paltry 20m USD budget.

I can see that you are worried about the degenracy present in the sports industry or some other booming industry due to their high earnings. But anime starts from an extremely low base, so any growth is good.

As for the budget going to the low paid staff, staff salary is determined by supply and demand. With a massively increasing overseas demand, and static supply due to lack of new Japanese animators, their wages will have to be pushed up.

Not at all. Now you can just hire even more cheap SEA-inbetweeners and pump out more anime shows to finish in a short time.

That's all.

Although industry insiders are mentioning that the money from the Chinese is starting to become less again because they now are buying less nip-anime, and are focused on making anime specifically tailored for chink-taste.
So, more stuff like I Am Hero and Soul Buster is upcoming.

A-list actors are seriously making that much? Who in the industry would be making that much in your opinion?

Seiyuus are typically expected to have great singing talent as well, not to mention their appearance for events.

She is too pure for this world

All that money yet she can't bother to fix her teeth.

>so any growth is good
Yeah, because there isn't enough shitty battle harems and because SAO type of MC isn't overpowered enough. Nah, fuck that shit.

Uneven teeth is considered cute and endearing in Japan

Anime is inherently inefficient. It caters to NEET; once they start getting an income, they don't appeal to them anymore and don't waste their earned money.

The most popular anime of the year is Re:Zero, not a harem and definitely not with a OP MC, audience's tastes adapt, and you are screaming at a strawman.

If they wanted cheap SEA animation they would have never gone to Japan in the first place. And doing it quicker isn't really a business objective for the Chinese, if they wanted to pump out tons of cartoons their own companies can do so with a episode per day (they stopped doing so, because not even the children liked it).
The chink anime phenomenon is unpleasant, but it will pass. The Chinese audience's tastes are evolving rapidly, and demand more sophisicated stories and better graphics with every passing year, so the chink-Anime will improve in quality.

Besides, they are not worse than the generic harem shows, just a way for studios to earn extra money and gain experience.

There is no room for creativity in a business. This is true for every mass produced entertainment medium.

>Buyfaggers never mattered.

>Why do anime keep making them isekais, battle harem and fujoshi that I don't like!
>UWWAAAAAAAAAAAHH!
>B-Buyfaggers never m-mattered.

Your delusion is hilarious.

The chinks pay nips, the nips hire more SEA-slaves to work on more animus at the same time.

My annual income is $3840
What's so unusual?
My salary is 300-400 usd

It's pretty normal for my country.

Hahahahaha

Do you not get it? The Chinese want high quality stuff, really high quality stuff so they can break through the crowded Chinese market, they don't want cheap SEA outsourced garbage, that's why they are paying high prices to the Japs.

If they wanted cheap and quick, they would have produced it themselves, do you get it? Cheap and quick is not a business objective now for the Chinese investors.

The Chinese box office this year had two breakout animated films (domestically produced), both of them extremely emphasized LONG PRODUCTION SCHEDULES in the marketing. Just to show you that the Chinese want quality not SEA cheap shit.

And we get more abominations like Bloodivores? No thanks

Yes I know. I guess I'll never get Asian beauty trends, like how China prefers women with egg shaped faces or how Korean women make their eye bags puffy because it's cute.

>two breakout animated films
Names? I'm curious about this

if it aint broke dont fix it

>9400 USD a year

do they think animators exist in some 4th world hellhole of a country? People with an animation degree start at $29k minimum unless you are a wage cuck

Monkey King: Hero is Back, 150mil USD box office, 5 year production time (heavily emphasized in marketing), the quality is akin to generic Hollywood CG cartoon, but that's still a high watermark for Chinese animation.

Big fish Bogona, around 70-80 mil USD, conceptualized for 10 years, made over 3 years, again this long production time was heavily emphasized in marketing. The 2d animation quality is very high, Ghibili tier (showing the big Chinese budgets), though the story was a pale imitation of Ghibili, so its very controversial in China.

Don't worry, the nips payed by the chinks will ensure that the SEA-slaves will perform to nip-standards.

Yes, they like it different in the east to say the least.

'animator' in this image refers to inbetween churning wagecucks

Neat, I look forward to a future where the Chinese have a bunch of great talent

Those long production times just mean that those in charge embezzled the money and lived off a good life.

The main problem is honestly the quantity over quality approach many studios have taken. Not only this places an enormous amount of burden on the technical staff (key animators, bg artists, colorists, etc.), the lowering average quality of the industry's output will drive the market closer and closer to a corner because of the exorbitant prices of BD. Those prices also invite the significant problem of reverse importation and making access really difficult for untapped customer bases. Kyoani has too much emphasis on moe but they have their merits: proper scheduling and a work-life balance that's not complete torture helps a lot.

One approach is for the industry to took apart the recent smash hit Your Name, see what made that work, was it the obscene amount of advertising? Something about the story itself or the designs? Whatever it is it remains as a fact that Your Name is a work that manages to bring the normalfags into spending their money for anime. The market must be expanded beyond otakus, and it should considering Japan is pushing their anime and videogame industry in preparation for the 2020 olympics.

The presence of Crunchyroll, as well as China's and Netflix's increasing influence a financial plus, but there's still a lot untapped market lying in SEA regions (Philippines, Indonesia) that can bring big bucks if approached correctly. Thinking outward is a viable alternative to catering towards the domestic market. A big challenge since Japan mostly doesn't care for shitskins but to overcome that faggotry is to strike gold.

Not really. While this actually reflects the income of a certain a-list seiyuu, most of that money didn't come from seiyuu work.

Anime caters to Otaku, and most of them aren't NEETs.

>Anime caters to Otaku
no longer true

Hollywood hasn't made anything decent in years.

>Whatever it is it remains as a fact that Your Name is a work that manages to bring the normalfags into spending their money for anime. The market must be expanded beyond otakus, and it should considering Japan is pushing their anime and videogame industry in preparation for the 2020 olympics

It depends on how Japan handles things up until then. They really want to put their best foot forward, but there's also the looming threat that foreigners (especially Americans) are going to start demanding series that's specifically catered to them. It'll most likely be back to business after the Olympics are over, if we're lucky.

If burgers want alien-looking spandex wearing faggots to cater to the PC bullshit, Hollywood have them covered with the new Power Rangers.

They should leave my animus alone.

That said, American buyfags comprises too little of the anime foreign consumer market for anyone to start catering to them. Even the Middle East buy more.
Which is a good thing.

Studios need to work on as many projects as possible as they can.
What they however suck at is being bad at negotiating with the producers who demand that the first batches of episodes be ready within half a year after the production committee has come together.
But if they wait too long, certain anime might not be trendy anymore and fail to interest the crowd that wanted it in the first place.

It wouldn't be anime if produced outside of japan.

Here in Toronto, the cheapest living place you can find will start in the 500-1000s (each month).

Sup Forums should start its own animation studio

Studio Sup Forumsnime can never make good anime. It would always be stuck in the penis scribble phase.
Not even Queen Bee would hire Sup Forumsnime as production assistance.

This concept is still stupid