What did you think of it?

Other urls found in this thread:

fictionpress.com/s/3206139/1/Keit-AI-Tomoyuki-x-Seiko-Keit愛-奉文-x-聖子
youtube.com/watch?v=8KQBiFIn0bo
angryanimebitches.com/2016/11/thoughts-on-kimi-no-na-wa/
theguardian.com/film/2016/nov/20/your-name-review-makoto-shinkai
theguardian.com/film/2016/nov/17/your-name-review-makoto-shinkai-animation
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

The ending dragged on way too long anyway, there were at least two opportunities to end where it didn't, almost ROTK levels of failure to end.

>#1 in the Japanese box office for 12 weeks, 11 weekends
>Has surpassed Miyazaki's Howl's Moving Castle as #2 Anime Film of All Time in Japan
>Earns 20 billion yen and counting to surpass Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets in Japan
>Reached 10 billion yen 9 days faster than Frozen
>Now beyond 20 billion yen (US$243.1 million).
>Nominated for an Oscar
>Wins LA Film Critics Award
>On the cusp of going beyond the box office gross of Spirited Away (289.1 million USD)

So this is meme magic. Not bad.

I bet miyazaki is real salty

>5 minutes too long
>comparable to the RoTK 40 minutes of extension
Cut out Okudera, the job interviews and that stint in the library and we're gold.

>Now beyond 20 billion yen (US$243.1 million).
>On the cusp of going beyond the box office gross of Spirited Away (289.1 million USD)

Holy shit. On top of having a meme president, we now have an animeme as the best-selling anime movie of all time.

Ded

DED

HINDI NAKAHANAP NG PARAAN

Why would he give a shit? Howl's Moving Castle is decades ago.

Spirited Away, his magnum opus, is about to get out-grossed by a meme anime.

What the fuck? It's 170 where I live.

Anyways I really enjoyed watching it today. I'm just pressed when people laugh out loud at the "Watashi, Watakushi, Boku, Ore" part.

How did your cinema's subs handle the "watashi/watakushi/boku/ore" gag?

Some anons said that their subs had "a girl like me" as a translation for "watashi", but mine literally just slapped "watashi (me: feminine)/ watakushi (me: feminine)/etc." in there without even labeling them as TL notes.

Meant to quote
but I guess an open question works too

Already a thing.

fictionpress.com/s/3206139/1/Keit-AI-Tomoyuki-x-Seiko-Keit愛-奉文-x-聖子

I'm afraid I was too distracted to remember but pretty sure it's the latter.

>I'm just pressed when people laugh out loud at the "Watashi, Watakushi, Boku, Ore" part.
My cinema had a confused little girl talking over the part where they were running around the rim of the crater

Really makes you think.

They could make a series of this.

>meme magic
It's called positive word of mouth, user.

Oh boy.

It was good, I liked it more than 5cm/s which I didn't enjoy, but the drama still felt shoe-horned.

Okay, so you've got a body swap plot with a twist in that one of the people is from the past and is also dead with the narrative being about her death being prevented. Fine, that's a good premise. But why the name forgetting? Was there actually an explanation for that or was it just to make things more dramatic and melancholy? I didn't like that aspect, it felt unnatural.

Why? Hackoto Shinkai's work are fairly decent at animation and production values and it sounds like a decent story not involving an otaku or moe characters.
Not that I watched it yet though. I just hope it doesn't end with a shitty song like
youtube.com/watch?v=8KQBiFIn0bo

Cinema here put a TL note for the boku/ore stuff, but it didn't seem like a lot of people understood what it meant as the reaction was a bit lacking.

It just said "I (boku)... I (ore)... I (watashi)" or something like that. My screening was half japs so they found it hilarious.

>But why the name forgetting? Was there actually an explanation for that or was it just to make things more dramatic and melancholy? I didn't like that aspect, it felt unnatural.
There's no reason for Mitsuha to suddenly forget.

Taki forgetting is down to his history being rewritten. How are you going to remember something that never happened as far as you're concerned.

The only thing he should remember is Mitsuha giving him the braid. Even though it was only missing to her for a day, he still had 3 years with that thing since time was only rewritten from the day of the impact, onwards. Also, Grandma did say that she couldn't remember the life of the person she jumped into, so I assume her memories just drifted as time went on, like how dreams are really vivid the moment you wake up, but unless you actively try to remember every detail throughout the day, you will soon forget.

It's one of the things you have to suspend disbelief for.

My screening had people howling. But I just assumed that they were laughing because the subs were basically nudging and nudging with DIS IS THE JOKE.

FINDS

angryanimebitches.com/2016/11/thoughts-on-kimi-no-na-wa/

The reason they were forgetting is because it's basically a lucid dream for them, and dream memories are hard to keep.

Mine just used I or me I can't remember which and the whole theatre was laughing.
I guess we had high level weebs?

Hitoha-san already explained that.

What was harder to suspend disbelief for was Taki's phone conveniently deleting all traces of Mitsuha from its logs as soon as he realized she was dead.

Especially since it contradicted the internal logic of the film at other points. OK, I can accept their memories constantly imploding due to the major usage of dreams as a motif, but up until then and after all physical evidence remained intact even while their memories came and went like the tide. Taki's phone was literally the only thing that got affected by diabolus ex machina. Taki's sketches didn't, Mitsuha's braid didn't, and Taki writing "I love you" on Mitsuha's palm didn't get deleted either.

inb4 dark mods

Yeah, that annoyed me. It was way too convenient

>angryanimebitches.com/2016/11/thoughts-on-kimi-no-na-wa/

Season 2 when?

>that goddamned falsetto
Why? Taki as Mitsuha never spoke in forced baritone.

Maybe everything related to swapping are considered a dream thing.
Kumihimo isn't because it's the art of God. (Taki pen can't travel through time even though it was in Mitsuha hand).
Sketchs is what Taki drew from his memory.
Sukida writing is actually written on Mitsuha hand.

Taki still got the braid. That is a physical object that was passed to him before time got changed.

He doesn't have to remember how he got it, or where he got it from, but he certainly had it and there should be photos of him, wearing it.

They can justify him 'losing' it on top of the Miyamizu shrine as to why it disappeared once he went to Itomori. But they can't handwave it out of existence.

No wonder Keit-ai is no. 1 on MAL and Spirited Away is no. 16.

Literally the best anime ever.

>Why? Taki as Mitsuha never spoke in forced baritone.
Takiha speaks in a noticeably rougher and deeper voice than Mitsuha even if it isn't as extreme as Mitsuki's falsetto.

He physically returned it during the twilight event.

>Taki pen can't travel through time
But apparently Mitsuha ribbon can.

Yeah, but he got it outside swapping (at least on his side), so that isn't a dream.

Sure, because it's the godly art of musubi.

Sticky when it wins an Oscar when?

I'm talking in context of how he remembers it. When he's 22, he doesn't remember why he went to Itomori and slept on a mountain top; just that he had an obsession with it. As far as he should be concerned, the braid went missing around that time for whatever reason you want to imagine.

However, they can't undo that he had the braid. It got to him before the meteor hit, before time was rewritten. He couldn't return it until 3 years later. So he had 3 years wearing it.

The braid is musubi magic incarnate and the only real 'evidence' of anything ever happening.

Yeah, it's also the symbol of red string of fate. If there is a musubi god, he actually did a well crafted loop for his miko.

>Shinkai writes a sequel movie to Kimi no Na Wa
>it's a Nasu-esque sci-fi fantasy thriller where the musubi god is actually an ancient ayylien who used his powers to stop another invading ayylien from establishing itself on Earth
>but now more are coming

>yfw Taki isn't actually in love, but thinks of Mitsuha as a thief that stole his lucky charm.

I really think that way.
The musubi god is too powerful, he can even control time and fate. So the enemy needs to cut that god's connection with human (the shrine) in order to make their invasion successful. The true identity of the enemy is the same one as in the Voice from the Distant Star, the comets are actually their long-range weapon.

Mitsuha's side of the story should be a lot more clear though, right?

Both her father and her grandma were aware that she was being periodically possessed by another person, and moreover this person had confronted her father about the village being destroyed by a meteor before it ever happened.

And then the village actually was destroyed, confirming this mysterious person who inhabited Mitsuha's body was telling the truth and had knowledge from the future.

Moreover, Mitsuha should still know that this person was in love with her, and that she reciprocated his feelings.

I guess she had no idea what his real identity was anymore though, merely that he existed.

Seeing how Okudera senpai has a hazy memory about their trip to Itomori, I'm afraid that everyone would be the same, maybe except Hitoha-san because she is the head priest of Miyamiza shrine.

fucking hell. that wasnt even necessary. letting the notes remain and his memory of her fading would've given more grounds for him to pursue his intuition.

Kinda.

Her friends, Yotsuha and dad played it down to her acting weird and probably would have forgotten outside of a time in their lives where Mitsuha acted a bit weird (you could just blame teenage angst) and a lucky guess.

Granny could probably piece together for them if she met Taki, told them about bodyswapping dreams and contextualised it with Taki's mannerisms and how Mitsuha would suddenly change on certain days. But I honestly doubt they'd care. They're bound together by love anyway, the past is irrelevant after they meet up again.

Same goes for the braid. Taki should remember having something similar in the past, although I doubt he'd be able to identify the one Mitsuha wears as the exact same one.

The braid and granny are probably the only two things that could reveal anything, and I doubt they'd even give it a either thought once their relationship starts, proper.

Okudera and Tsukasa can be excused for having hazy memories since they were actively being rewritten by timeline changes. It's a bit more muddy for people from Itomori, because nothing was ever changed for them. They're always moving forward through time. Whereas Taki, Tsukasa, Okudera and everyone else had their lives change in retrospect.

>all these [Deleted] posts
Someone just got banned.

The story's pretty dumb and full of plot holes.
Why didn't they really try to call or mail each other?
Did they never check a calendar?

Also, other physical traces could still be around.

Anything Taki noted down in Mitsuha's notebooks, if she still has them, will still be there and have Taki's drawings and handwriting inside. Any physical reminders would have to be before the day of the meteor strike.

But let's be honest, how many people have kept their stuff from high school once they hit their mid 20s?

Taki tried to call but it failed.
The date thing was meant to get the viewer offguard.

Can't really defend the mailing and calling thing. All I could say is Shinkai aware of this point and have Taki stated that they try to contact each other before but no avail in the novel. I don't know why he won't do the same thing in the movie, maybe the first call is more shocking?

For the calendar, they were dreaming so they didn't bother checking it.

The job interviews were supposed to show the lasting subconscious impact that the rural scenery of Itomori had on him.

But who was world line A

I don't know about in japan, but when I was in school we dated stuff, so I have no idea how someone can go to school and not notice that they are in a completely different year.

It is possible when you're dreaming.

They were pretty lucid in their "dreams" though.

Being self aware in a dream doesn't guarantee you'll remember what it was. Been there.

They were making notes of things that they thought the other would need to know, E.g the date the dude went on. I'm pretty sure if either of them noticed the year was different at any point, they would think that is big enough of a thing to warrant an instant note to inform the other person.

Mine didn't translate the lines and just left "Watashi" etc in the subs
Whole theater was full of Chinese couples or white dudes with Asian girlfriends.
Whole theater burst out laughing, it was glorious.

>Why didn't they really try to call or mail each other?

You do know both Mitsuha and Taki tried to call each other, right? Have you even watched the movie?

Absolutely lovely movie, shame that I had to watch it through a terrible interlaced, watermarked, SD screener rip. When is it coming to Germany?

I loved the strong contrast between urban/rural, traditional/modern, man/woman, Iphone generations.

The way Mizuha and Taki influenced each others lives in the month they shared, such as Mizuha gaining the confidence to stand up against her father in the finale, was only partially shown on screen but it was great.

I wonder if the comet disaster intentionally relates to the many small coastal towns that were wiped out in the tsunami 2011, that still haven't been rebuilt to this day. Either way it's fantastically done.

There will never be a cute miko that does time travelling body swap shenanigans with you to save her village ;_;

They already spoiled the movie during the OP.
You have the scene when Mitsuha went to visit him 3years back and adult Mitsuha, you can see the ending from miles away.

>Some anons said that their subs had "a girl like me" as a translation for "watashi"
That was the dub.

>you can see the ending from miles away
Unless you are expecting Makoto Shinkai to carry on being Makoto Shinkai.

>You have the scene when Mitsuha went to visit him 3years back
Which, without any context whatsoever, isn't that easy to make much sense of.

>and adult Mitsuha
Which is what makes the meteor strike a surprise

>you can see the ending from miles away
Unless you saw 5 centimetres per second or Garden of Words

Uh no, anyone assumes those are flashbacks when in reality they're flashforwards.

tfw you will never drink off a fermented miko's spit just to go back in time

Got to where I'm like "Well that was a good ending" and then looked at the bar and saw that I was only halfway through. Was delighted at first and then it got kind of long.

What?
When they showed the part where Mitsuha gave out her name and hair ribbon, I knew the OP was like some sort of preview. The timeskip forward was expected at that point.

Doing so would have been a more effective device than Shinkai clumsily trying to convey that nagging feeling that they were missing something in their lives.

The movie also deserves a more solid ending than what we got. Tears, name drop and sudden cut is not what I had in mind.

what is this

Too that user who own the visual guide book, from yesterday's thread.

Do you have blog/personal site ? I really hope if you could post more pics of it.

I really wanted more. I'm gonna cry if they announce a TV series for this. Probably gonna wait until BD release.

>emo
Huh? Japanese teenagers don't become emo, they become chuuni.

I guess normalfags and non weab just can't appreciate this kind of movie. Guess Zootopia or Moana is going to take home the oscar this year eh

I only have two issues with this movie.

>Diary notes dissapearing from the cellphone
I get that their memories might be obfuscated or erased or temporarily locked away or something like that. But the cellphone seems like a major stretch of disbelief to me.

>Unsatisfying ending
I wanted to see how their lives ended up after meeting each other.

>Normalfags review a movie
It wasn't about a caped superhero punching bad guys, 3/10 it's shit

It's fake

theguardian.com/film/2016/nov/20/your-name-review-makoto-shinkai

But it's well-received by normalfags though

At least in my country

That guy probably just didn't know what he was watching

Non-stop hand-holding.

Nope

theguardian.com/film/2016/nov/17/your-name-review-makoto-shinkai-animation

But this review is the exception, it's quite liked elsewhere.

Disgusting

My theatre in Dublin laughed fairly hard at that part and only maybe a tenth of the audience were Asian.

I think the only part to get a bigger laugh was Taki groping the tits while crying.

Huh. Well if it's an consolation, The better review is mark kermode, a well known critic.

>I think the only part to get a bigger laugh was Taki groping the tits while crying.

People laughed at that?

never thought i'd see the day when japan starts shilling anime on Sup Forums

>Honest review
>Shilled revoew

How long before the BDs so we can actually start shitting on it?

There were many tits groping scene. The one that made people laugh the most was the one with her imouto funny face.

These 3scenes are the one that made the whole room laugh.
watashi, watakushi
vending machine cafe
tits groping

>My theatre in Dublin laughed fairly hard at that part and only maybe a tenth of the audience were Asian

They are all weebs

Sony has been shilling this board hard

>Asian being a weeb

>fall in love with a 15 year old student
>move to the countryside to get away
>get hit by comet strike

I mean the whole audience are weebs. Including you