Existential boredom and high intelligence (srs)

Good evening, anons. What keeps you guys going, realistically? As the days go on, I'm finding less and less to derive enjoyment from; everything is painfully boring; life is but a task to be done.

How do other intelligent folks cope with lack of mental stimulation? I'm going nuts.

I normally watch Rick and Morty

I'm retarded but have the same problem

I like anime

Why dost thou hate me?

Sorry to hear it brah.

Please help, anons.

Get into Buddhism or start doing drugs/kill yourself. Existential angst/boredom doesn't go away.

I can't die until my task on this earth is done (srs)

What is your task, if you don't mind me asking?

Eat right and sleep well

Having the same problem currently, could seasonal depression be making it worse than usual for you too?

Why doesn't it go away? The drugs don't do as much as they used to these days. So that's it? God fucking damn.

I am artistically and creatively superior.
I listen to music alot.
I know at least 2 people who can somewhat keep up with me.
I have a good friend to banter with, we make the hours pass pleasantly
I am very eloquent. which helps me "speak their language" in a way.
I also don't give many fucks; most things pass right through. Not getting hung up on words helps alot, albeit hard.
I have creative hobbies, some of them I share with others.

>clean your room

I'm sorry to hear of your struggle, bro. SAD may be part of it, I'm not too sure. I usually tend to enjoy winter, honestly. I just find that every year is getting more difficult. The old standbys that use to get me through are just not cutting it anymore. What could this be signalling?

Hey man - I'm glad you can relate, and have some folks to chat with. I actually find cleaning to be very meditative and helpful, but I'm all caught up lol.

Find something you love to do.
Stay away from tv, video games and social media and social justice (read a book instead)!
Get in shape?
It's not easy, and you'll have some rough days on the way, but it sure beats heroin.
Good Luck to Ya.

what made you give up on life? maybe the awnser lies there

Thanks, man. I'm in good shape thanks to having a physical job. I've got a couple of audiobooks I'm working on right now.

I love writing, but I just haven't had it in me to do much writing the past few days.

buddhism is pretty much cognitive behavioral therapy before there was such a thing as cognitive behavioral therapy. or the serenity prayer

More than just existential boredom but boredom with existence entirely. It does feel pretty pointless to go on, but death scares folks who are actually attached to the lives they lead. Tis' a struggle indeed.

one of the signs of depression is losing an interest in hobbies. maybe you should try to mix up your routine. spend time just enjoying eating/drinking?

I've just always found life to be insulting to conscious, intelligent beings since I was a very small child. Life has always been a problem for me.

I find the vast majority of people extremely petty, violent, and an overall negative in every way. I'm a misanthropic anti-natalist, but I don't hate anyone, or wish anyone ill. I just don't find life to be worth it, and yet I'd rather not add to the sum of misery by killing myself just yet, as I wouldn't want to inflict trauma onto my family.

Buy a Kindle, start reading ebooks. This shit is great, there's literally thousand of free titles available through, e.g., Project Guthenberg. Acquiring knowledge feels good.

Also you get complimentary shitposting rights on /lit/.

By gassing Jews

You need friends that have the same interests. Sitting around alone gets boring after a while

Stay away from the cult types like SGI though,
They tried to get me to join after I left NA,
wound up buying my gohonzon for me and demanding I pay them back, which I didn't

Yeah, I often say that to call it boredom almost invalidates it. It is far more grievous than mere boredom. It is a deep, underlying, and ever-present backdrop of impending doom and a disinterest that stems forth from the basic unanswered question of "what the fuck is going on here?".

What keeps you going?

don't worry, user. Things get better once you get older. I'm a little over 30 now and feeling great every day.

If I were you, I'd start to gain some life skills that will keep you busy as you get older. You'll notice that a lot of people sort of develop mentally until they're maybe 18 and then they kind of just coast for the next 50 years. You don't have to do that.

You could try learning a couple new languages. Those are some fun intellectual pursuits. Treat your life like an IRL RPG, where you're leveling up yourself, if that helps. Go get some new skills, camping, language-learning, go lift weights, etc. Whatever you do, keep your time-wasting stuff down to a minimum and you'll feel great in no time.

A little bit of hope I guess.

i feel like Sup Forums attracts broken people. probably why me and you are both here. i have thought about killing myself because its a effort to live. but my family was almost destroyed when my mom died of cancer 2 yrs ago. so like you i decided to live for them. i dont think theres a solution, i think we have to focus on what little joy we have left

One's perception of death can change, just take too many psychedelics and read too many history books.

I like to think of my life as a series of small mysteries. Much like Scooby Doo or Mike Tyson, I go from one mystery to the next and try to see what I can find. Right now I'm trying to figure out the relationship between time, qualia, and physical matter.

This. Reading so much from history books changed my perspective of death so much. We shouldn't be afraid of it; if your time comes, it will come.

I hate to hear of your situation, man. I do think you are right about Sup Forums being a magnet for the downtrodden. I would also be willing to bet money that if there was a study done on average IQ or some other intelligence metric for the majority of visitors here that we would see at the very least higher than average (though I was posit several standard deviations or more would not be uncommon).

It's a fucking shame...

Compose a symphony if you're so intelligent. I'm tired of this I'm intelligent therefore life is boring/beneath me meme. Write a novel, paint something, etc. You aren't bored because you're too intelligent, but because you lack discipline, ambition, and direction. Change that.

WATching other people succeed

I would posit***

Reduce the times you compromise. Turn off the TV and avoid the news like the black plague. Spend more time searching for good music to enjoy; the more you refine, the better it'll be.

You should find a creative hobby too, whatever that may be. Sharing it with others that enjoy it will inadvertently surround you with positive experiences. Perhaps you're bored because you don't have an outlet for yourself. I find myself satisfied after burning many hours painting what I enjoy.

If it's actual depression and not just shitty mood, go get a full blood-check; hormones, vitamins, all that jazz. They can have a significant, and I mean SIGNIFICANT impact on your psychology. Do you have thyroid issues? If you do, medicate yourself properly.

Improve the way you speak, enrich your vocabulary. The better you express yourself, the more in-tune you'll be with your feelings, and the easier it will be to share yourself. Don't get hung-up on stupid things people say. They are stupid, it's what they do. Don't mire yourself in their mediocrity and instead rise above. They'll find you intimidating and you'll find them petty. Who cares what they think, they're literally second rate.

Stay healthy. Have the appropriate weight for your height and age, take frequent baths, and try to reduce the amount of sugary foods you consume; same with fats. Everything in moderation works best.

I find it interesting that you, like so many others, find any talk of one's intelligence to be so annoying - as though it were the one topic that should never voice its concerns. I find that tiresome, myself.

I'm well underway into a philosophy work of my own. I do paint, I do play music, etc. etc. Why do you assume the negative?

It isn't easy to overcome or even describe the total lack of interest that shows itself at times.

focus on finding something that stimulates you and is constructive

if that fails, probably see a professional

>Reddit spacing...

KMS

When my (Dangerously High-IQ) friends and I get bored, we drive around town chasing niggers

Thanks for your reply and suggestions, man. The blood test is a good idea. I haven't had one done in a couple of years. I will get that scheduled. I think a big thing that you mentioned is the lack of sharing with others. One of my goals is to self-publish a book of philosophy I am working on, so maybe that could be a springboard for connecting with others. I don't really know where to go?

Do you have any suggestions for good online communities or forums?

Thanks, man. I'm hoping this is the case. I turn 27 here in a couple of weeks, and some things have gotten better, to be sure.

I should learn a new language.

>Existential
Stopped reading there. Goddamn can we please stop throwing this word around?

I didn't know it was being thrown around? Why does it bother you? What other word should be used? What I am describing is a boredom with existence itself.

Start a philosophy blog and/or youtube channel about philosophy. You can learn some skills like making videos, photos, and of course improve your writing and speech. Connecting with others with similar interests will be easier. See if there's a MeetUp where you live in philosophy. Having a social media presence gives you the meaning because you post for an audience. Just give it time to build up. Small steps make a big difference!

Thank you for the encouraging words. Those are great ideas. I will have to give some thought as to what sort of youtube content to make. You've given me some things to think about.

Nah, sorry amerilad, books aren't really my thing. And I don't want to bias your options with my opinions.
However I just had an idea: follow through book genres that you enjoy and segue into different media like movies, comics, manga, videogames and even music.

Like fantasy books for example? Give a try to some Norse folk-music or something, or straight up listen to the soundtracks of fantasy movies.

The boredom with existence is something everyone deals with. It's just more pronounced with more intelligent people because life almost becomes automatic after awhile and no situation nor surprises challenges you.

Here's motivation for you: write out a list of your ideal life and compare with your current life. Just let the thought flow, and then find what doesn't match up. That will give you some motivation.

> write out a list of your ideal life and compare with your current life. Just let the thought flow, and then find what doesn't match up

That's paraphrased from Jordan Peterson, isn't it? Good suggestion nonetheless.

Jordan's a good fella.

I don't know who that is lol. I just thought of it from experience. I make lists a lot.

Yeah, he has some pretty insightful things to say. As long as you don't latch onto his words, he can be of great help.

Heh. It's alright.

I don't like lists personally unless they are really necessary; I feel they take away from the experience and turn everything into a chore.
Perhaps that's because I always aim ahead for what I want.

Step 1. Clean Your Room.

Thank you for the suggestion. I certainly have a couple of long-range goals I'm chipping away at, but it might serve me well to elaborate on them in a more formalized way. I do agree with your first paragraph, though I question how much the average person really does deal with boredom. I think when the average person says boredom they simply mean they don't have anything immediately of interest to do, or lack the means to do them; I think they still enjoy life though.

You go nuts, get dumber, let yourself slide, socialize, realize how big of a mistake that was and how fake everything is, then challenge yourself to be even better than before.

I definitely relate to that process. I know exactly what you mean. But what drives you to keep better yourself, personally? It seems like the more times I have done this expansion/contraction process, the less I can find to motivate me.

bettering*

Lol this guy gets it. OP this is something all people deal with. But yeah, the answers include hobbies, relationships and accomplishments

Thanks for the continued suggestions, man. I really do need to find some new music.

>As the days go on, I'm finding less and less to derive enjoyment from; everything is painfully boring; life is but a task to be done.

Don't ever do Amphetamines. Shit will dull your life in a second. Not even joking. I can't get off without stabbing a small animal to death.

Too late. :/

this but unironically

learn how to program C++/java. Use your online time to solve problems and think instead of just shitpost.

>Too late. :/

You burned out too many dopamine receptors bro. Just end it now.

I turn off my TV and got Fluenz to learn another language. Play chess online and read books. Think of something you haven't done. Ice skating? Bunjee jumping? skydiving? archery? Get a motorcycle so every once in awhile you come close to death it helps you to appreciate life more.

Surely I wouldn't have been on the hunt for amphetamines and other assorted stimulants and additives if my dopamine receptors were pre-existing in a functional way?

I don't think it's too late for us. The drugs just can't be the end, only a means. Would that I could find a end!

I really fucking hate not being able to edit. AN END NIGGER*****

I got rid of my TV years ago. The only media I watch is a handful of youtube channels I'm subbed too, and I listen to audiobooks. I had a motorcycle years ago - was a lot of fun, until I got hit and fractured my fucking ankle lol.

I'll have to check out Fluenz.

I do think, brah :/ What do you think this thread is, at least in part, if not problem solving?

Read Ecclesiastes in the old testament. This is the best place to start. Most existential of all biblical texts. Also, try notes from underground by Dostoevsky or anything by Nabokov. Russians do it best.

Going insane or dumbing yourself with drugs is the only option or you could stop being a bitch and learn to live with how shit life is
You could also let Jesus Christ into your heart

>The drugs just can't be the end, only a means

The drugs are an escape. Abused amphetamines for 20 years and I learned the hard way that there is no end to the rabbit hole. Uncomfortably numb and unsympathetic to anyone else. Stop while you're ahead.

Ahh, yes. Fully agree with you there. I love Ecclesiastes so much. No other book has summed up my view on life so well. I haven't quite finished Notes From The Underground, but really enjoyed it so far.

What by Nabokov should I look into? Haven't heard of him yet.

How does one learn to live with how shit life is? I have let Jesus Christ into my heart.

Anime tiddies, and brief moments of happiness with my family.

lottery. i have a dream.

Nabokov was a legit genius dude. Fluent in all kinds of languages. Chess master. I would recommend invitation to a beheading or pale fire. In pale fire he basically writes under multiple perspectives. It's a trip. If you're feeling depressed read the book of Job. That answers why.....also I highly recommend Deuteronomy. Most modern Christians do not have a healthy fear of God. That will do it and put your life in perspective.

Thanks for the heads-up from a vet. What do you consider abuse though?

Thanks a lot, bro. I will be checking all of those out tonight.

Suicidal loser to top 1% in a matter of 6 years or so. There are two basic steps (with a ton of nuance within them).

1. The Basics
>Nutrition
>Exercise
>7-9 hours of sleep at regular hours (sleep fairly soon after it gets dark, wake up soon after it gets light out)
>Study and practice things that improve mental health: Philosophy, personal improvement, meditation, etc

The basics are key. You might think you have some sort of existential issue with life itself, but in reality, you're just a sedentary fuck that eats garbage and has his brain/body chemistry all fucked up. The basics are not negotiable.

2. Have An Audacious Goal
>Once you have the basics down, you'll be in the top 5% of the population as far as contentness
>Having an audacious goal that you can busy yourself with daily is what puts you into the top 1%
>My current goal, which I'm about to eclipse, is making $80K/year with my online businesses. This has taken about 4 years and has been a source of business and pleasure throughout. When I achieve it, I will move on
>This is a hard one for someone with no motivation, and cultivating a dream/goal could be its own book

Free on the internet. Type in official king James bible. I try to read a little each day if pol doesn't pull me too hard. I always know when I haven't read the bible enough. This world starts to get at me. The Word is your armor. Wear it daily.

You accept that it’s there and do your own thing regardless
Eat, make money, stay fit and healthy, marry, make children, grow old etc.
Just like accepting Jesus, it shouldn’t get in the way of you living your life

What flag is yours?

>What do you consider abuse

Taking speed strictly for a dopamine release on a daily basis OR large amounts inconsistently for that superhuman effect.

Either way it's bad for your natural chemistry and will literally burn out your brain over the long term.

Adderall or Meth?

Yeah, I say "checking out", but I just mean I'll be looking into all of them. I like the bible.com KJV narrator. Thanks for the reminder to get back into scripture. I've actually been listening to Tolstoy's "What I Believe" the past couple of days. Really great.

Holy shit, this whole thread. This is what happens when bullying is taken away.

Nice. Tolstoy is great. Nobody does suffering like the Russians. Maybe its the winters.........:)

By daily dopamine release, do you mean that there is no therapeutic range? Would you say that the entire ADHD thing is bunk? (Genuinely curious.)

Adderall.

DMT

Read books. Literary novels. Find a niche of world literature you enjoy and read it all.

Just force yourself to write a few minutes a day. Doesn't have to be good or even coherent. Just sticking with that habit can pay off dividends.

Might try changing your diet or caring for something like a dog or a plant, too. The diet thing fucks with us more than most people realize. Try a paleo diet for a bit and avoid fructose and shit carbs for a month and see if it improves your depression.

And maybe socialize a bit more.

Good luck, user.

Thank you for the ideas. That is a good suggestion to write everyday regardless. I will do it, starting tonight. I'm not too sure how to socialize more. I find it to be a let-down more often than not. I just can't relate with most people, nor can they with me.

>What keeps you guys going, realistically

Because it's funny. And the most powerful people in the world don't want me to.

vidya

Yes, Tolstoy was a great mind, I agree. The Russians really do have a certain knack for the serious. I'd have to agree with Schopenhauer too when he noted that the German and the Italian blood has a good appreciate for what is solemn and serious as well.
Thank you. That is a worthwhile goal. I have quite a ways to go.

I relate with that, but is it really funny though? It's fucking brutal to me. This whole life thing is just too evil. Spite is certainly part of the fuel that keeps me going. Spite for the elite but also for all of the people in my life who have taken pains in their attempt to prevent me from developing (not that they have succeeded, but their attempt was not for nothing).