Why is Japanese humor so different from Western humor?

Why is Japanese humor so different from Western humor?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manzai#Boke_and_tsukkomi
animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2015-04-09/new-gintama-season-mocks-bawling-japanese-politician/.86955
youtube.com/watch?v=2HzPmynCGvY
youtube.com/watch?v=c7Xk7XUuNfQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

There isn't really any uniform western humor either, but the differences aren't as stark.

Maybe because those people are hundred of kilometers apart.

>Japanese "humor"
Kek, nice one OP

>humor
>Japanese
I bet you think nichijou is the pinnacle of comedy, autist

Because the west wasn't nuked which caused multiple generations of genetic mutations.

Different culture, different language, etc. So why should it be the same then?

Well in anime you at least don't see fart jokes americunts love so much.

Referential humor, unexpected situation, Straight man and foil and other forms of comedy are pretty universal, faggot.

Same reason British humor is so different from American humor. Island nations have superior sense of humor.

>Something happens
>Someone shouts what is currently happening out loud in detail and in a dumb voice for "humor" despite it being extremely obvious

I hate it so much.

>japanese humor
You lost me there.

>he didn't see Flying Witch
Pleb.

why is american humor so different from british humor?

>Flying Witch

>japanese humor
something silly happens, someone says something dumb, someone else retorts

>western people
LOL WHITE PEOPLE AM I RITE
STRONG WOMYN NEEDS NO MAN
WE NEED TO TALK ABOUT THE SUFFERING OF GAY PEOPLE

ITT Americans are jealous of glorious Nippon.

>Japan
I CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT BOOBS, SENPAI

>America
I CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT PENISES, BRO

I'm assuming that Japanese humor is so bad because we dropped an atomic bomb on them, thus completely destroying future generations.

>things that make no sense: the post

I think you mean, they are still awesome, and dropping a bomb on them didn't even create a scratch on their culture and awesomeness. Americans are pathetic.

it means: Japanese jokes are loaded culturally. And American jokes are racist. That's what you get for living in a country with mixed cultures.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manzai#Boke_and_tsukkomi
The whole point of the joke is the boke being corrected. Muricans may not understand that, but then again I don't get America's "funniest" home videos either. It's funny because somebody got hit in the nuts?

>mfw weeaboos insinuate that Japanese humour is good
>mfw Ameritards insinuate that American humour is good

Anglo saxon culture is if anything rather unique in how much tolerance it has for jokes and how highly it is esteemed. In many cultures, if you make a joke about something, it's taken as a personal insult. It's the same in Japan, that's why their comedians all essentially play a fool (boke) in some way. Although there's some cultures like rakugo which is rather different from that.

>japanese humor
>can't go as quintessential japanese as manzai

it's literally THE worst shit ever.

Is he the best Rakugo of all time?

Is German humor the best form of humor in the world?

NUGGIE~!

I think the difference stems from Japan's conformist culture and attitude. Jokes are meant to be inoffensive. Person does something stupid or that goes against cultural norms, gets scolded for his stupidity.
Western humor is more confrontational, mocking people, ideas and cultures, pointing out the flaws in society and dealing with social taboos.

What he said.

Also I don't know if hentai lines are meant to be comedic or something lost in translation, but they are superior to american comedy.

>British """""""humor"""""""
Do all Island nations have terrible humor?

please provide an example

auf deutsch ist auch oke

I feel like this thread belongs on Sup Forums

America's funniest home videos is terrible.
>(漫才?) is a traditional style of stand-up
Stand-up is the lowest form of comedy.

That's the joke. This thread was supposed to be about japanese humor, but non-japanese people can't stop talking about themselves.

Remember when it was called wapanese? Me neither.

>the source

I'm still pissed we don't have Otro Rollo anymore.

>Inb4 "Rudy! Rudy!"

Hourly obsession thread

inb4 monologo

The first episode of the most recent anime season was apparently quite shocking in Japan, because they made fun of a politician. That's something we in the West are used to but to them was ground-breaking.

>animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2015-04-09/new-gintama-season-mocks-bawling-japanese-politician/.86955

That's a cultural difference I guess. The higher the social standing, the more okay it is to make fun of the person in the west, the reverse is true for Japan.

>The higher the social standing, the more okay it is to make fun of the person in the west
Donald Trump is really going to hate the next 4 years.

> the reverse is true for Japan.
I can understand not making fun of the Emperor, the British have a similar custom, but not making fun of politicians and other authority figures is truly weird to me.

The Legend of Koizumi completely shits on a couple of Japanese politicians.

It's because in Japan, they actually command respect. Laissé-Majesté laws are retarded though.

Yeah, but like with Gintama, stuff like that is rare.

But do they deserve that respect?

> but not making fun of politicians and other authority figures is truly weird to me.
Again, I think comedians and comedy in general is seen as low-brow in Japan, and something performed by idiots. So in a way it's natural that comedy and politics are held apart, so there's very little tradition of satire.

He ran out of good topics. And if a see fucking Maussan talking about ayylmaos one more time...

im sad they're out of business ;_;

>western humor
Watch a French Comedian and a British Comedian. They are hardly alike except the talk about sex.

>I think comedians and comedy in general is seen as low-brow in Japan, and something performed by idiots
Come to think of it, that used to be the case in the West too. Think of the Three Stooges. But with time society advanced and comedians started mining social issues and relevant topics for humor, with much success. It's reached the point that some comedians are more respected than actual newspeople.

Why is she giving that mime a noogie?

Because japanese humor isnunfunny

Damn, Japan sounds like a seriously boring place to live.

Remind me what CG set this is from.

>But with time society advanced and comedians started mining social issues and relevant topics for humor, with much success.
I hate that shit. You go to a comedy show for a good laugh and instead you get a high school dropout's perspective on complex social issues.

What's French comedy like? I speak sort of okay-ish French but I don't really know any of their comedians.
I did see the Banliueu movies though.
They're shit.

The French do dark comedy, if I'm not mistaken. Pretty much "life is shit, so drink wine" or some lame shit like that.

Isn't this from a hentai?

Well you could argue that in the US comedians, actors, musicians, athletes and fucking anybody except people who actually know about issues all have a political influence. In Japan the entertainment industry and politics is separated, and that's both positive and negative in some ways.

The French focus on physical, random and 'obscure' comedy. Like a guy stepping on a banana peel, then all his clothes fly off for no reason. All the while, he has an emotionless grimace on his face.

>Like a guy stepping on a banana peel, then all his clothes fly off for no reason. All the while, he has an emotionless grimace on his face.
That sounds like it could be incredibly funny, or incredibly unfunny. Let me guess: French comedy isn't really known because it always hits one of the two extremes and there's no middle ground?

I'd say it's mostly negative, Japanese people are completely apathetic to politics, which makes it easier for politicians to get away with corruption and inefficiency.

>French comedy isn't really known because it always hits one of the two extremes and there's no middle ground?
That and the French focus far more on artsy drama. Comedy is looked down upon far more than other cultures. They tend to import their comedy from other cultures.

>Murricans may not understand it.

Right, because the Japanese are an ancient Elven culture that we cannot possibly hope to comprehend. You can understand unfunny shit and still find it unfunny.

Here's some old-fashioned French humor if you're curious
>youtube.com/watch?v=2HzPmynCGvY

in 2017 there is going to be an entire show based on the adventures of a magic fart.

So the punch line to each joke is just the teacher yelling? This isn't even reactionary comedy. Its just anger.

BUILD THE WALL

Are you implying that Japan never does toilet humor?

Onara Gorou already aired, though.

Humor aimed at kids in Japan has far more fart, piss and sexual jokes than anything you'd ever see in America. But some some reason, comedy aimed at anyone over the age of 10 turns super serious. And even sexual jokes have to be masked behind innuendo.

The difference here is that Americans just keep the fart and sex jokes blatant, no matter the age of the viewer.

People often say this, but voter turnout is about the same for Japan and US. So maybe japs simply do not speak about politics as much, but are about as apathetic to it as Americans. That's just speculation anyway.

>but voter turnout is about the same for Japan and US.
Do you mean percentage based or actual number of millions? I could see actual numbers since so much of Japan is over the age of 40.

Protip Tolkien races were based on real life races. Humans = white. Elves = East Asians. Orcs = Africans. It's not a coincidence

I don't care, I want it back I do agree with you on Maussan

Just turn it into the spanish version of the Tonight Show, something that's maybe 1 hour instead of the balloon-size episodes they used to have

>Show starts
>"Quieren moniligy!!!"
>talk to some band/TV star/politician/etc. for 20 minutes while they promote their shit.
>fucking goodnight.

Yes it is, maro no kanja wa...

>NTR-shit
>Humor
Nah

>Humans = white
No, not with the existence of Easterlings.
>Elves = East Asians
No, not considering how they are based on germanic and northern mythology and the Tuatha De Danann.
>Orcs = Africans
Goblins are not warcraft orcs.

Just like how lion King isn't a copy of kimba the white lion but rather a Hamlet based, so too is the Tolkien races not based off of real life but rather of fantasy fairy tales of the past.

>hasn't watched osomatsu-san
that shit is like the normie jap humor right there

Most humor, at least non-Japanese humor, relies on getting an emotional reaction out of a viewer by hitting them with something unexpected; we expect one outcome and another happens. That's true for horror, as well, particularly in regard to jump scares. What's so funny about a character pointing out how zany a situation is, and the tsukommi is never wrong about this in a show like Bo-Bo-Bo, when its already readily apparent to the viewer that the situation is bizarre? Given how crass and physically expressive Westerners are when compared to the Japanese its rather ironic that Japan has the least subtle humor imaginable; a character comes out and explains the joke to the audience for people too slow on the uptake.

I enjoy Japanese humor for the most part, except for
>male human is present
>gets brutally assaulted for no fucking reason
Is there supposed to be some kind of social cue for these jokes, or are they really just beating each other up tom and jerry style? It's weird though, you don't usually see it as much with girls.

Its a bit harsh to label all Japanese humor as the same boke/tsukommi routine shit.

Games like Majikoi for instance have some top-tier humor that is much similar to western in its taste and delivery.

and it's amazing

That's far from exclusive to Japanese media, sadly. Men are always the butt of jokes, especially slapstick, because generally speaking women aren't "allowed" to get hurt.

Funnily enough, the women who do fall victim to this kind of treatment are usually the most likeable.

So I actually wrote a dissertation on this years ago.

Japanese humor is a weird amalgamation of Chinese and American humor. American humor is an amalgamation of Italian and Jewish humor.

It's actually really interesting how Japan arrived at their current humor styling, and how America arrived at theirs.

>tfw too intelligence for western humor
poop jokes...? nah

>too intelligence
Yeah, no.

Examples please.

America farts = funny

Japan farts = erection

>he didn't see emono no Souja Erin

No.

youtube.com/watch?v=c7Xk7XUuNfQ

Some shit is only funny to people brought up in the culture, you can understand why it is funny if you understand the culture, but that doesn't mean that it's necessarily funny. It's like in-jokes, they are good if you are in on it but the majority of the population has no idea what is so amusing.

There ver zwei peanuts valking down de strasse and vone was assaulted...peanut.

Ping Pong Club is almost entirely fart jokes. In fact a lot of anime from that time period has fart jokes. Fuck I think Sailor Moon did it at one point.

completely false. Tolkien hated allegory, there is no racial subtext in LOTR