Lupin III

It's time for a Lupin thread since we have a lot of content coming out next year
Red Jacket series 1st DVD set which is up for preorder now

youtu.be/ee12JuuRB0Q

Blue jacket blu ray coming out next year which will feature not only superior subs, but will also have the cast from the original adult swim geneon dub with the exception of Zenigata reprising their roles
youtu.be/YrKLNFWu5VA

last but not least, the most recent trailer for the new Bloodspray of Goemon film which will be a sequel to Jigen's Gravestone and the Fujiko series.

youtu.be/c0XOK7C66hs

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=jjg2LywL2qo
sakugabooru.com/post/show/14865
sakugabooru.com/post/show/17690
sakugabooru.com/post/show/17689
sakugabooru.com/post/show/25336
sakugabooru.com/post/show/18267
sakugabooru.com/post/show/17387
aalong64.blogspot.com/2012/05/big-bad-mamojamma.html)
sakugabooru.com/post/show/23148
sakugabooru.com/post/show/23146
youtube.com/watch?v=nI3GgMx3wco
youtu.be/HMaYG3tl3dI
youtu.be/wF-aGNeST4E
youtu.be/MZJ1OuGwx70
youtube.com/watch?v=dvaosZlQqrY
youtu.be/WoYmH_OftPY
youtu.be/GOzVYXLFLeA
youtu.be/9F9G9FUJkW0
youtu.be/yRvd185-XAg
youtu.be/DylvxJPdjKA
youtu.be/AR6A2IKA9PA
youtu.be/xd1iuPBozOg
cartoonatics.blogspot.ro/2011/05/cartoon-shows-that-never-were-mixed.html
cartoonatics.blogspot.ro/2011/01/cartoon-shows-that-never-were-1-trio-of.html
cartoonatics.blogspot.ro/2011/05/cartoon-shows-that-never-were-2-mixed.html
youtube.com/watch?v=RF6lIpfCEFI
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Can you at least not shill for your shitty dubs here?

>shill
>shitty dubs
dub Lupin is good though. also its more about the releases, not so much the dub. its just that the dub is relevant. dont be baby.

posting some Cagliostro wallpaper since it is best Lupin movie.

It's a very good movie, but not a very Lupin movie

Lupin
Is a nice man

agreed. its the best movie but not the best Lupin movie. Better examples for a better Lupin movie are missed by a dollar and Walther P38

Best song in the whole franchise

Nothing as comfy exists

Walther p38 is some fanfiction bullshit rich with original donuts

no it's the worst song. it's just the most meme. Lupin is known for having great music, but we all know the music from the first series is flat out retarded especially that one with the guys broken english and shit lyrics... but thats why we love it.

oh and mystery of mamo is very Lupin.

god the art is fantastic in this movie.

did anyone else notice the burnt castle over the arch they drive through in the movie because i never knew it was there. they never panned out to show it.

Cagliostro is really well made but its legacy is annoying because many got into Lupin through it and see it as the "ideal Lupin" and then hate on even the good stuff in pink jacket because it's really far from the Miyazaki version (in fact the wackiest and most Monkey Punch-esque episodes of Pink Jacket are the most hated)

then they pretend the manga isn't wacky at all because it's not cool to hate on the original material

I never meet any of these people that you mention, but i hear the stories too. Cagliostro is just too good to be even remotely disliked despite how others tend to think it's the "ideal Lupin" like you said. Pink jacket is awesome but i dont think i can blame some people for not liking it. It is a little too cartoony compared to green and red jacket, and they did make some weird choice of designs, but i agree it shouldnt be disliked for just because it isnt the same. Pink jacket is most like the manga (even though I think it's more of a mix of green and pink jacket) because it is wacky and very oddly drawn. I'd argue it's just as good as red jacket but with much better animation. I even love Gold Babylon which some people hate (because they're faggots). It's just fun to watch. That neon 80's new york setting, the nutty adventure, the motorcycle scene in the beginning. it's awesome and really refreshing to look at after seeing a bunch of mediocre red jacket movies from the 90's and 00's.

point is. cagliostro is great and pink jacket is great for different reasons.

Yeah I get some criticism like that one scene of the motor bike chase lasting too long but it's still a movie with an auteur's sense of fun to it (Yuzo Aoki) which is more than I can say about a lot of the boring-ass red jacket movies/specials.

The only bad design IMO in pink jacket Lupin is the way Aoki starts drawing the 'pretty'/'sexy' female characters; I think he did great with Fujiko in Mamo but then went too far with his style and lost the appeal of the original designs. but the goofy guys are great especially in the second Pink Jacket OP which (I think) he animated.

I think another mistake people make is lump the Miyazaki & Takahata episodes of green jacket with Cagliostro for no real reason beyond "because Miyazaki"; yes those episodes were more 'family friendly' but in terms of drawings they felt much more comedic and more Monkey Punch-like than Cagliostro and that plays a big part in the tone.

Monkey Punch was right though, Lupin is kind of like a Japanese version of those western super hero properties that get all kinds of reimaginings so it's not wrong to make stuff different. Then again I wonder if he legit thinks that way or if he just got pooped on for not liking Cagliostro and told to change his attitude.

oh speaking of Aoki, he also directed Alice which is great

the protagonists are a lot less likable in their villainous behavior than the manga versions of the Lupin characters who manage to be charismatic and likable despite doing awful shit, but that works anyway because most of the humor is derived from their plans exploding in their faces. it's like a Road Runner cartoon with dicks and boobs.

also MANKATSU SUBS WHEN

>IMO in pink jacket Lupin is the way Aoki starts drawing the 'pretty'/'sexy' female characters;
I think Lupin and Goemon are the only bad designs because cleft chins are ugly as shit. Even Monkey Punch Stopped drawing cleft chins a few volumes in. I also dont like afro Lupin. I'm glad they went with a more normal approach in Gold Babylon... although the choice of having a black shirt and grey tie was odd.
>I think another mistake people make is lump the Miyazaki & Takahata episodes of green jacket with Cagliostro for no real reason beyond "because Miyazaki";
I tend to see as all the shows and movies are all canon except for the once that literally cannot work like 1st contact, elusive fog, and return of pycal.
>Then again I wonder if he legit thinks that way or if he just got pooped on for not liking Cagliostro and told to change his attitude.
He said he did enjoy the movie, but it wasn't his Lupin, then made a comment about how he would have Lupin rape the girl instead of saving her.. which I think would of been kind of funny.

I watched this a few months ago and it was great. You'd swear it came out in the 70's but it came out in early 90's. I wish modern Lupin movies had that classic style where everyone is lanky with incredibly long pointy shoulders but that all ended in the early 90's. Really fun stuff. Would by it on DVD if there was a western release but that will most likely never happen unless it comes included as a special feature with a Lupin movie.. I dont recall it being that long.

>I'm glad they went with a more normal approach in Gold Babylon
but he didn't always have a cleft chin; pink jacket had even more design variety than red jacket depending on episode animation directors. in the second OP by Aoki for example he looked far more like Monkey Punch Lupin and some episodes used those designs.
it's a 90s OVA with 'offensive' content, it'll get tagged as bad & not sell

I just want Mankatsu to get fansubbed, I watched a bunch of it raw and it looked like a fun variety show. a bit hit and miss but the good stuff seemed really good.

thats another odd thing about Lupin. Im assuming thats from red jacket.

evern though the designs of the characters and animation in old Lupin shows arent amazing, they have always had incredible backgrounds. the attention to detail is superb. Even with blue jacket, you'd think think the designs of the characters would be on par with the backgrounds but no, the backgrounds now are even more gorgeous then they have ever been.

wish i had saved some of them so i could show.

it's from voyage to danger

>it's a 90s OVA with 'offensive' content, it'll get tagged as bad & not sell
ive seen worst anime that became mainstream because of its offensiveness. I just want it...

but the cartoonier more Monkey Punch character designs from the old shows ARE amazing. detail =/= quality.

saying Lupin doesn't have a great design is like saying Popeye the Sailor doesn't have a great design. it's insanely iconic and perfect for the kind of exaggerated poses that the shows & manga use.

yeah modern anime, with old stuff there's this whole 'offensive old ova = bottom of the barrel schlock' thing which is really dumb because a lot of those 'bottom of the barrel' OVAs had legendary staff and/or great production values

I don't really mean Alice which did feel quite niche but stuff like Golgo 13, Sword for Truth & everything by Rintaro that's not liked i.e. everything that's not the Galaxy Express movie

one of the more decent 90's movies along with missed by a dollar, tokyo crisis, hemingway papers, and Walther P38. I would say Dead or Alive but lets be honest. the plot was shit. The art was incredible though with the exception of Lupin and his Martin Scorsese eyebrows

Fuck off shilltard

well to be fair and to add to this the rintaro stuff isn't really offensive as much as just too 'style over substance' for some people or whatever

I'm skimming through it and Dead or Alive is fine but I'd say

best cartoony Lupin = Monkey Punch in the 70s

best less-cartoony Lupin = the Koike movie

im talking about the detail of the design not so much the actual design itself. I know they're great designs.If you look at newer Lupin how the designs of the characters have more shadowing and detail of the hair, eyes, among other things.Thats what lacked in old Lupin for obvious reasons which is why I said they werent absolutely amazing compared to the backgrounds.

the thing is the extra detail changes the style; I like both detailed Lupin & wacky more quickly drawn Lupin but they create a different atmosphere.

trust me. dead or alive is boring as fuck.

also Koike Lupin is great even if it isnt cartoony

It's a real shame about Dead or Alive's plot and characters, they really drag the movie down. It's a prime example for Lupin that animation isn't everything.

Fuma was great though and had great animation..

one thing I can say about Dead or Alive is that Joe Shimamura makes a quick cameo.

I never bothered with DoA cuz even Monkey Punch said he hated his involvement with it. I see some people recommend it saying DUDE MONKEY PUNCH LMAO but ignoring his comments on how shitty the experience was.
Honestly I'd have liked it even more if it EVEN further in Koike's "Good Frank Miller + Peter Chung + Kawajiri + personal elements"-ish style. It felt like he had to hold back because it was Lupin and he couldn't make it TOO weird but when I thought "Koike Lupin" I expected something like this youtube.com/watch?v=jjg2LywL2qo

Still good though

Dead or Alive reminded me of some of the darker Pink Jacket episodes due to the designs and the whole "mastermind Lupin" take. I guess it does get unnecessarily slow in the middle though. But I thought it was a breath of fresh hair coming form all those other 90s specials which got way too similar.

I barely remember the story in Fuma but I remember thinking it was a nice adventure story & the animation being good

looking back at it, the animation is even better than I remember sakugabooru.com/post/show/14865

I wish that the Shin Lupin manga had been completely translated. I love Monkey Punch's Lupin, though the anime version of Lupin is great too.

he only directed the opening and ending, had no real involvment with the story or anything.

with Koike Lupin, he still made it pretty weird. the whole thing with the giant dick robot and naked fujiko was odd as fuck.. I'd like less grit with his Lupin and more wackiness

I gotta watch Walther P-38, it seems like a nice "darker Lupin" story & even beyond the Imaishi scene everyone has seen it seems to have some really great animation at times

sakugabooru.com/post/show/17690
sakugabooru.com/post/show/17689 I like this type of drawing & animating that was present in a lot of stuff that came after Akira & Gosenzosama Banbanzai. I dunno how to describe it perfectly but it's a specific type of doing lines, shapes, character proportions shading & that feels in various ways inspired by those two in particular.

Movement that's fluid & in some ways realistic (Akira influence) but also a bit cartoony (Gosenzosama influence), sort of blocky volume given by the way the lines are drawn, subtler shit like the hands.

I'm trying to talk about animation more in-depth to make up for the years of just namedropping animators to look autistic & cool

>the whole thing with the giant dick robot and naked fujiko was odd as fuck
It was bizarre cuz it was obviously fetishy & fanservicey and yet it was supposedly in the same universe as the Fujiko show that takes rape dead seriously. But then the Koike movie felt like Koike doing his own thing with Lupin & disregarding the Yamamoto & Okada stuff, for one it completely dropped the shoujo/josei girliness & went for full manliness.
>I'd like less grit with his Lupin and more wackiness
I wanna see Lupin & Jigen having funny Trava-like conversations.

But what you said is interesting because I heard Koike actually talked about making Redline less wacky since the pilot. It's kinda subtle but if you rewatch the pilot it does feel subtly wackier.

if it wasnt for the last statement I would of called you nuts because I see no Akira influence in the animation of any Lupin movie.

what i like about Walther P38 is it goes in depth to Lupin as a person similar to Missed By a Dollar. It shows how he feels about Zenigata as well as the people he wants to help. You see sides of him that you don't get often. I like the art as well. I like what they did with the hair. Usually Lupin is said to slick back his hair which I always hated cause I feel that would look retarded in real life. Even in Green vs Red they made it so Lupin (Yasuo) had long hair and slicked it back to give it that typical Lupin style. I like the idea that he has short hair more which is what you see in Walther P38 as well as more modern Lupin like Blue Jacket and Jigen's Gravestone which is made very clear that it's just short and not slicked back.

It's a small thing I personally prefer.

I wish someone would just pick up the license again and release everything. Monkey Punch is a fucking amazing cartoonist and I don't even know what his influences are beyond "lol Mort Drucker lol". Mort Drucker is a caricaturist and MP is a super-wacky scribbly cartoonist, aside from surface level stuff like "they draw lanky guys with pants that are a little too short for their legs" their styles are practically polar opposites of cartooning.

I wonder if Monkey Punch was aware of Milt Gross because I see a bunch of that in his work. I know Tezuka was a fan so surely Japan got wind of him.

Fujiko, Gravestone, and Goemon film are all connected. whether or not they connect to the rest of the series is debatable. I like to think so since fujiko series sets up green jacket perfectly and Gravestone sets up Mamo/Red jacket perfectly, but Lupin canon is just too hard.
>I heard Koike actually talked about making Redline less wacky since the pilot. It's kinda subtle but if you rewatch the pilot it does feel subtly wackier.
only seen it once. I figured its just suppose to be really wacky which is what i felt throughout the whole thing. Would like to see more Koike stuff that isn't about racing because fuck that.

>I wish someone would just pick up the license again and release everything.
tokyopop put out 14 volumes of the Lupin manga which I own, and 7 volumes of shin Lupin. unfortunately they are all out of print and a lot of them are expensive as fuck.
>"lol Mort Drucker lol"
is this a meme? I dont know about memes in the art community.

I own the complete first manga set, and the 9 volumes of Shin Lupin that Tokyo Pop had released before going to shit.

I'm not so sure about Monkey Punch's influences, but it's hard to find information on these sort of things when only searching in English.

You're likely more right than wrong (I mean technically Akira was so huge that it influenced EVERYTHING but we're talking noteworthy influence here) - I used to wrongly attribute this specific type of character animation to the influence of Akira sakugabooru.com/post/show/25336 but then I looked up when Black Magic M-66 was made and Satoru Utsunomiya did it before Akira sakugabooru.com/post/show/18267

shit, meant 7 like stated

on the other hand I still say there's some Gosenzosama in those Lupin clips sakugabooru.com/post/show/17387

Who directed this?

Mamo was a beautiful movie in terms of both film school 'muh cinematography' autism (that pic) and John K blog-reading 'muh cartooniness' autism (what this guy covered aalong64.blogspot.com/2012/05/big-bad-mamojamma.html)

It's a shame it didn't have a higher animation budget, some scenes I felt could have benefit from more frames.

Oh and the villain actually managed to look genuinely really, really fucking creepy and unnerving at the end which was unexpected.
I looked it up and it has two directors

One of them also directed... the Kirby anime? I dunno if this is even right, I know ANN doesn't have separate pages for many people with the same name and I can't read non-shit Japanese staff listing sites.

Another was animation director on Panda Go Panda which is classier because that's basically proto-Totoro and as well done as toddler anime can get

>is this a meme? I dont know about memes in the art community.
No but it's the only influence for Monkey Punch people ever list because as far as I know it's the only one he mentioned by name.

But as I said one is a caricaturist that mostly exaggerates & stylizes real life while MP is more abstract. I refuse to believe he wasn't influenced by any super-wacky abstract cartoonists and just pulled that style out of his ass but I've also not seen any MAD artists from that era which were that wacky.

The only Lupin I've watched thus far has been Cagliostro and a couple episodes of the Blue Jacket series. I plan on starting the Green Jacket series and working my way up from there.

The Kirby guy also seems to have done some directorial work on Ashita no Joe, would explain some of his talent. There's a definite Dezakian influence to at least a few of the shots on that grid.
>another was AD on Panda Go Panda
Otsuka worked on this?? I had no idea. One of the greatest animators of all time. Highly recommend you check out everything he touched at Toei Doga, if Panda Go Panda is the only thing you know him for. His masterpiece is Little Prince and the Eight-Headed Dragon.

>His masterpiece is Little Prince and the Eight-Headed Dragon.
It seems he did a lot of animation in the final battle, which... honestly was pretty disappointing to me. The animation was technically very solid but the subject matter felt uneventful and anti-climactic.

From what I've seen (not all), the most visually inventive old high-budget Toei films in my opinion were Wan Wan Chushingura and Animal Treasure Island.

Really? The Orochi fight blew me away. Most of the movie did, but that scene in particular is one of my all-time favourites. Definitely agree for the other two though, especially Animal Treasure Island. Such a fun movie.

I thought it was too... normal given this is a movie where earlier the protagonist blew up a giant fish by charging into it like a missile.

Wan Wan Chushingura is weird because it's REALLY old but has some really fucking loose stylized shit that I never saw in the later Toei films

sakugabooru.com/post/show/23148 look at all the zany frames of this dog dodging cars and compare to the other clips by this animator that are much more on model and traditional

also this is amazing sakugabooru.com/post/show/23146

the characters' motion and the intro with background animation where every frame is painted, fuck me in the ass how the hell does this obscure ass movie look so great

I'm not familiar with this guy, but yeah these look great. Lovely movie. There's a ton of fun stuff during this period, lots of talented guys at Toei.

Speaking of periods from animated studios, Nostradamus was clearly done during the era when TMS were doing a lot of outsourced animations for WB shows like Animaniacs and it shows

this old ass AMV from the early 2000s shows a lot of scenes that are reminiscent of those youtube.com/watch?v=nI3GgMx3wco

I love mamo but what were they thinking with those colors for lupin? black pants and a dark grey shirt? whats wrong with white pants and blue shirt like in red jacket series? although I'll give the credit for the yellow tie. still bugs me that red jacket series had a pink tie which is ridiculous. also I felt Mamo dragged for a little too long. right when I thought it was over, it was the beginning of the final act. besides my nitpicks, its still in the top 5 best Lupin films

too bad was Nostradamus wasnt that good.

also Jigen was in animaniacs and Lupin parodied Tiny Toons.

youtu.be/HMaYG3tl3dI

also Lupin is the voice of Winnie the Pooh... Let that sink in..

youtu.be/wF-aGNeST4E

I think Nostradamus is worth watching if only for the animation. Honestly even a lot of Animaniacs can be pretty cringey in terms of writing if you take the "ahh smart cartoon for smart people, mature humor that will go over the kids heads :)))" nostalgia goggles off

you take that back. Animaniacs is a masterpiece.

Is the Italy series from 1 or 2 years ago good?

also here's Lupin cooking.

youtu.be/MZJ1OuGwx70

It's not bad per se, just bland in comparison to the other series.

It was a AOTY. It's honestly great.

Don't even bother with manga adaptation.

dont mislead him. It's just as good as red and pink jacket, but no anime can compare to green jacket.

The new movie better be good or else I won't make a collage

Fujiko was incredibly hot in the biker outfit.

Fujiko was incredibly hot in general.

Fujiko fucked Zenigata and won't fuck Lupin.

I really liked it. I love the OP.

youtube.com/watch?v=dvaosZlQqrY

Zenigata deserves that and more.

I really liked the show, but the mystery got a bit messy towards the end. I'm not a big fan of the supernatural or pseudoscience in my Lupin and Part 4 went a bit too far with both of them.

some more Yasuo Lupin Videos

no idea what this is but it cracks me up
youtu.be/WoYmH_OftPY
Him in character
youtu.be/GOzVYXLFLeA
On some show
youtu.be/9F9G9FUJkW0
Entire cast
youtu.be/yRvd185-XAg
Lupin and Fujiko
youtu.be/DylvxJPdjKA
Cast doing a script read
youtu.be/AR6A2IKA9PA
aaaand Lupin singing
youtu.be/xd1iuPBozOg

feel free to thank me since this shit is not easy to find.

It's easy to break the spell if you take a look at the blog of Rom Ruegger, the "mastermind" behind Animaniacs, and realize what a creative black hole devoid of taste & humor he was & is & how much he held back the writers & storyboarders that were actually funny:

cartoonatics.blogspot.ro/2011/05/cartoon-shows-that-never-were-mixed.html
cartoonatics.blogspot.ro/2011/01/cartoon-shows-that-never-were-1-trio-of.html
cartoonatics.blogspot.ro/2011/05/cartoon-shows-that-never-were-2-mixed.html

It's hard to admit but a lot of it was driven by the animation, voice acting and music. All those WB shows had REALLY good presentation that managed to make even the shittiest jokes feel kind of charming.

This is the same guy that inserted his Original Characters Do Not Steal and universe into Scooby Doo when he got creative reign over one of its least popular series and made Scooby himself a "huge fan" of them. youtube.com/watch?v=RF6lIpfCEFI

Freakazoid has a lot less Ruegger cancer in it and more of the actually funny people from Animaniacs giving it their all.

And I'm okay with that.

But to make up for this off topic attempt to ruin a nostalgic cartoon
One of the more melancholic Jigen-centric episodes of Red Jacket had kinda crappy animation but I really liked it anyway, I don't remember the name but I know it took place in a snowy setting. The script mixed together Lupin's characteristic wackiness with darker Jigen stuff really well and the ending was top notch with a dead serious scene of Jigen ready to die and then Lupin saving him with his shenanigans.

Betrayal is after all a woman's accessory.

i imagine that was an earlier episode since the later half of the series really went up in quality.. although for whatever reason I remember an episode like you just decribed in Green Jacket where Jigen was trying to save this russian girl who turned out to be a thief near the end.

I think that may have been the Red one? I don't recall if she was Russian or not, it's been years.

But yeah the later episodes have some fucking movie-tier animation at times even outside of the Miyazaki stuff. I remember this episode where Lupin makes Jigen pick up the pieces of his gun while an assassin is trailing him that had amazing production values.

pretty sure some of the many incarnations of Fujiko in the manga fucked Lupin and I'd rather take that into account than Yamamoto & Okada's so-deep-and-empowering anime

Fujiko fucks Lupin in almost every chapter. I remember one in particular where she has a 3some with Lupin and her friend up in this snowy cave.. actually it was made into an episode for green jacket except there is no 3some or even a friend for that matter... the anime got rid of a lot of interesting shit when adapting a manga story

which volume was that? curious if it's one of the scanned-by-user ones

idk which one but i can guarantee its in one of the 1st 4 volumes. although i'm 95% sure it's in one of the 1st 3 volumes.

to be honest. it wasnt a very good story or episode.

I remember disliking the Green Jacket episode but I don't remember seeing it in the scanned manga volums I downladed but maybe I just forgot.

It was one of the early Osumi episodes that made me think people kind of overrate the guy as the "TRUE Lupin director" and Miyazaki as the guy who made it "safe and boring" (while ignoring Takahata being co-director along with Miyazaki). I think both did great stuff and meh stuff and that snow episode was pure meh, absolutely noting stood out in terms of writing or art or animation or anything. even the direction was just a bunch of boring talking heads shots.

I'm clicking through random parts of Walther and holy shit this special has really consistently high caliber animation

If the story is as neat as people ITT made it sound I think this'll end up being a Lupin classic to me

Goemon deflecting lasers with his sword was animated as cool as it should have been

he is overrating considering there wasnt a bad miyazaki/takahata episode. the 1st half of the series were mostly hits but also a few misses. Also the characters lacked personality in the 1st half. wasnt until about episode 11 and up where it became GOAT in terms the perfect package.