The west sucks at making cartoons

>the west sucks at making cartoons

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=HnL7j-XRX60
youtube.com/watch?v=tITz-42MbRI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

The bottom one isnt motionless for 60 seconds and Im pretty sure Tom dont fuck Jerry.
West > Japan

Some western cartoons are alright. I fucking loved archer

It's funny, because Anno has publicly stated that Tom & Jerry is one of his ten all time favorite animations. So this is almost certainly not a coincidence.

Said literally no one ever

Well that's true these days to be honest

We don't have things like tom and jerry or animaniacs anymore. now it's just bendy arm tranny shit

I don't like today's western cartoon but fuck you OP Tom and Jerry was a classic.

>these days
Cartoons have been better than anime for a while now

is it meme now to not understand the greentexts?

Just imagine the hatesex doujinshi

give 3 examples of a good cartoon in the modern age

It may be overhyped and reddit in terms of fanbase but its good.

Steven Universe

>Steven Universe

American cartoons were never, EVER, good. It was for ONLY children and still is, they don't take it seriously.

Even if this weren't lazy shitposting as a joke, literally anything good in that show is just aped from anime.

Give me break. Your little cult combines all the worst things about broccoli, mobile phone salesmen and evangelists. And Tumblr.

Gravity Falls.

You know I met this hobo and he asked me if I watched sports, and I said no, and he asked if I had a girl, and I said I not interested in girls and he was like: what the fuck do you do, then? I'm always chasing girls like tom.

I asked him who Tom was and he said from the show Tom and Jerry, cause they're always chasing pussy.

>but tom's the cat

Excuse me for the untactful question, but are you literally retarded?

No

I didn't know Tumblr was allowed onto this site.

I can't defend Gravity Falls and Steven Universe, but rick and morty is pretty good.
Its not a masterpiece though.

>reddit and morty
Did you hear, kiddo? The mods are banning redditor fucks like you now.

I don't use reddit. I hear the fanbase for that show is pretty reddit though.

I hear there's a whole website devoted just to reddit and redditors now.

Sure, whatever you say, I dont care. Why don't you go there if it interests you so much?

Well no shit, we're talking about a show that explicitly mentions NTR in its third fucking episode. Of course it's reddit as fuck. It may as well be reddit incarnate.

Do you really care about the fanbase that much?

I'm not talking about the fanbase, I'm saying that the show is intristically designed to appeal to the reddit crowd and is therefore reddit.

Samurai Jack

South Park
Ugly Americans
Star vs. The Forces of Evil

newer seasons sucks. every characters are walking catchphrases now

Dan Vs
That's all I got

>is therefore reddit.

Just because you claim to be such an expert on reddit culture does not mean I will agree to your ridiculous claim that a tv show equates to a social media aggregation website.
You're talking out of your ass.

How else are you supposed to insult something popular?

Reddit please

Inb4 you just get called a redditor

kek

Gravity Falls is good and I'm not even tumblr. It's like Shin Sekai Yori in that gets better as the series goes on.
It was a IRL tumblrina from work that insisted I watch it though

I have called many people reddit on this board but can we just agree that the show Rick and Morty is good without the overrating it with the
>wubalubadubdub XD
nonsense.
Anyone who replies to this post is reddit

LISTENING TO TUMBLR OPINIONS REEEEEEEE

>comparing tumblry falls to a 8/10 show
"No"
@151006839
It's reddit and so are you.

American Dad, South Park, King of the Hill, Archer,

Things go stale with time?

I never.

Funny part is that is was canceled so they decided to kill him off and even played the whole it might be a body double thing in a preview and then at the final episode it was a body double that died....and the real one too, they both died.

And now they got renewed for another season so...

MODS

>@

Xavier: Renegade Angel
Superjail
Bojack Horseman
Moral Orel
Over the Garden Wall
Amazing World of Gumball

Why do western cartoons look so shit compared to anime?
They don't even seem to compensate for the lack of detail with more expressive movement or anything.

In the last 10 years
Rick and Morty
Bojak horseman
Steven Universe(Its a bit shit now but I was genuinely enjoying it for a while)
MLP (FOR THE TARGET AUDIENCE BFORE YOU THROW A FIT)
Over the garden wall
Avatar: The Last Airbender (again great for the target audience)
Wakfu
Gravity Falls
The amazing world of Gumball

The problem with Sup Forums getting on its high horse about anime>>>>western is they don't consider who the shows are aimed at. Most anime aimed at kids is fucking awful too. Bleach, Pokémon and Bayblade to name a few.

Holy shit seriously fuck off back to Tumblr.

I seriously hope you don't post on Sup Forums or Sup Forums frequently

I've heard good things about Gumball.

One thing I've noticed about Western animation is that while it's generally sparse, the production values are usually prett fucking high and while people here may complain aboout the style, characters are generally super animated.

You don't find nearly as many stills or anything compared to anime.

Anyone ever watched Clone High?

Now that's a good cartoon.

>No fucking Metalocalypse
Shit list

I used to back in 06 to 10

I'm just back for CG

You're right.

One of the main reasons I made the switch from regularly following anime every season to watching cartoons is the difference in production quality.

A lot of anime is hit and miss, and I generally only find one or two shows per season that I actually enjoy, if any. I feel like the pressure on studios to constantly produce new content with such tight deadlines forces them to cut corners when it comes to animation and writing. I can't stand all the mediocre manga and VN adaptations being constantly pumped out, nor can I stand the extreme pandering to specific audiences, which often requires anime to dedicate a sizeable portion of runtime to just fanservice.

Of course, there are a couple gems every year which blow the competition out of the water, but sometimes these anime end up being an industry failure in terms of revenue and Japanese audience reception, which is even more depressing. I really liked Nichijou.

Sorry, it was just the shit I could think of off the top of my head. Metalocalypse is pretty fucking cool

Adventure time (for a while)
Star versus the forces of evil
Gravity falls
90s to early 00's were better though.
If we move beyond the U.S. theres more.
What is heavy metal?
What is fantasia?
What is fritz the cat?
I'll agree though that the demographic range for american cartoons is very narrow.

Anime is usually adapted from manga and so it can pull from a lot of different genres and age groups while us cartoons are usually original.
What should compare is manga vs U.S. comics. There's only so much capeshit you can adapt.

>literally anything good in that show is just aped from anime

That's completely true, but doesn't change the fact.

Nice containment thread you've got going here. Here's to a whole afternoon without Sup Forums and Steven Universe.

>American Dad

Do people actually like this?

those 3 you listed are shit shows btw.
Obligatory you have shit taste.

youtube.com/watch?v=HnL7j-XRX60

Pretty sure I've seen Kirikou and Prince Ahmed before. Had no idea what they were when I saw them, or that they were famous.
Looking at the whole list, I'm amazed at the sheer amount of furfaggotry and sexual repression in Western art and culture. As someone will almost no exposure to tv or the west, I am semi speechless.

That's one of the problems with American television in general. Unless it's a miniseries, everything is made with the mindset that it'll have over 10 seasons and 100 episodes. Unless it flops they don't let something end on a good note and remain memorable, they keep fucking making new seasons until everyone hates it and then the show gets a half-assed wrapup.

If something like K-ON was made by Americans it would still be airing today, and everyone would hate it. But it ended, and ended well, so we remember it and look back on it fondly. American TV cartoons can't do this most of the time.

They attract awful people and shitty fanbases but they're imaginitive and fun. Certainly far from bad.
The last 10 years haven't been kind.
Oh, almost forgot, have a (you) to go and a webm that's more suitable for an user of your particular tastes and intelligence

Its better than Family Guy and when its a singing episode its pretty damn good.

youtube.com/watch?v=tITz-42MbRI

Oh shit, I remember that rabbit movie.
It kinda fucked me up a bit

>Im pretty sure Tom dont fuck Jerry
Nigga, Tom&Jerry are the most tsundere couple out there.

>the production values are usually prett fucking high
>characters are generally super animated
Man, I'm not sure I agree with this. I find most cartoons are rife with lazy framing, lazy poses, lazy timing and wonky drawings. There can be plenty of inbetweens but they're mostly worthless inbetweens in worthless motions.

Anime characters may be on holds when they talk, but at least if they're not moving, then they're not moving badly.

I just enjoy animation in general, personally. I always go through shifts in what I watch more. Having watched anime for 24/28 years of my life, I know it's something I'm never going to truly let go of.

I'm more likely to go out of my way for anime, but sit me in front of a Western cartoon and I'm almost bound to enjoy it in similar ways I enjoy anime.

This is nice and all, but can we all agree that Armenian genocide never actually happened?

I think amazing world of gumball doesn't really suffer from these criticisms you brought up, nor does any decent quality cartoon. What cartoons would you be referring to?

Did the Rape of Nanking actually happen, or is it chinese propaganda?

>lazy framing, lazy poses, lazy timing
Fucking this. Look at the shot composition in western cartoons, unless they're doing an explicit reference to something better it's always the same fucking straight-on camera angle, whether it's zoomed in or zoomed out. There's no dimension or perspective to it.

Whereas even dumb kid's anime will have basic camera angle effects, like tilting the camera upwards on a character's face with the blue sky behind them to symbolize hope and optimism, or showing a bird's eye view of a character when they're feeling down. Most western cartoons can't even do this shit.

Rape of Nanking was the biggest contribution the Nip did to mankind.

>snow white which is 80 years old looks better than any chinese cartoon

really makes you think