Is Yuri on Ice the most overrated anime of the year?

Is Yuri on Ice the most overrated anime of the year?

Other urls found in this thread:

thegeekiary.com/johnny-weir-watched-yuri-ice/40241
crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2016/12/09/south-park-name-checks-crunchyroll-and-yuri-on-ice
twitter.com/AnonBabble

No. It is AOTY.

It's honestly shit. Why do fujos have no taste?

That's not Flip Flappers

Yup, it is amazing. Nothing came close.

Funny way to spell Hibike 2

That's not Izetta.

>overrated
Not even close

No, it's Flip Flappers.

Random side characters in Yuri on Ice have more development than either of the main characters in Flip Flappers.

I cannot go anywhere on twitter without spoilers. G r e a t

>Is Yuri on Ice the most overrated anime of the year?

No, that's FlipFlappers.

YOI is pretty good.

Haven't watched it yet, why is it called yuri on ice? it looks like yaoi to me

Because MCs name is Yuri and he's on ice

It's the gayest thing I've ever seen and it's basically impossible to escape so yeah

His name is yuri and he's also yaoi?

sorta, the opening is overrated as fuck

It's good but not great.
The first ep was great and ep 2-3 or so are really good but then it spends too much time on showing ice-skating and not enough on developping the characters and relationship.
Aside from Yuri and Victor most characters feel like joke characters.

It's a hit because it's probably the first good anime that focuses on gays without being comedy or too irrealistic. Gays and fujo love it.

>His name is yuri and he's also yaoi?

Yup. There's two characters name Yuri, one who is yaoi and one who is an underaged Russian fuccboi.

All hilarity aside it's actually a pretty good show.

Only yaoifags see it and it gives them exactly what it promises, I wouldn't call it overrated.

I think it delievers on what it promised to do perfectly and exceeded the expectations of its target audience. If you thought it would be anything else, you're probably just retarded.

Underrated, more like it. People will never give it credit for what it does well because they're so triggered by homos and things girls like.

It's natural to not be interested in a aeries aimed so blatantly at a different demographic, but the industry as a whole would be much improved if more series were treated like YOI. That is, with genuine care and passion by creators and collaborators who love the subject matter and are knowledgeable about it. The attention to detail and accuracy is so good that even pro skaters have commented on it. The focus on adults instead of teenagers is refreshing too.

>The attention to detail and accuracy is so good that even pro skaters have commented on it.
not really, the skating animation is the worst part about the show and is full of QUALITY

There's much more to it than animation quality, you know.

They are a small studio and lack the time or budget to polish the animation. The skating is still choreographed by a professional choreographer and referenced with film, so why the fuck would animation quality affect the accuracy?

That's not even what I was referring to. The shit that goes on backstage, the settings, the references to real people etc is researched thoroughly.

Probably yes. It's pretty good but not AOTY like some people claim. AOTY is Rakugo.

funny way of spelling Mob Psycho 100

you can't say that there's attention to detail when the detail isn't there though
>so why the fuck would animation quality affect the accuracy?
i didn't know that the size of figure skaters' legs morph mid-routine like yurio's but ok

I like how the world feels lively in this anime. There's a lot of details put in the backgrounds and the side and background characters. How they handle the smartphone and social media craze adds a lot to realism too.

The skating sequences may be realistically portrayed but they don't strike me as interesting from an animation or story-telling point of view.

But that's not enough to make a good anime. How can you call it underrated when it receive so much praise?

That's pretty normal for a serous-ish sports anime. They aren't really the first ones to research things related to the show they're making.

Are you sure? Because I've seen nothing but people fellating themselves over the quality of the show and how much people well versed in the sport found it accurate.

It's definitely decently above par, but I feel like it's just that. Besides some of the skating segments the show overall felt bland in comparison to the first couple of episodes. But that's all a matter of personal opinion.

I bet it's mostly people that don't watch anime or read manga that are saying such things.
"Oh wow I didn't knew there was an anime on ice-skating, it's very well done. Is it by the same guys who made The Simpsons?"

You seriously underestimate the amount of research being done here. I mean you have world champion skaters saying "Who told them about this?" Its funny that so many people saying that YoI is "just like every other sports anime" don't actually watch many sports anime. The people who are absolutely enamored with YoI are the avid sports anime watchers who will watch every single sports anime every season.

Its funny that so many people saying that YoI is "just like every other sports anime" don't actually watch many sports anime

It's funny that you don't have any facts to back this assumption of yours.

>Look mom, I like shit.

So it's basically fanservice for the ice-skating fans?

It is yuri, but with boys

Most overrated at least on Sup Forums is FliFla. Everyone is well aware that YoI is successful because of the yaoi bait and decent skating plot, no one really thinks the show has any artistic merit.

The thing about Yuri isn't so much that its overrated (even diehard fans will admit its problems), but it is absolutely beloved by the people that its made for. This is a problem sports anime have had for a while- they are pandering to boys but are funded by fujos. Even a show like Free! that doubled down on pandering to women, tried to hedge its bets on the Otome crowd. Yuri on Ice has no delusions of being an anime aimed at anyone other than fujos. This allows it to do things to target its audience that other shows can't and sets it apart from the crowd. It was a matter of time too- the idea that a sports anime has to be acessible to men to be successful seems ridiculous now. Men don't buy sports anime anyway anymore, regardless of what its about but it takes time for the industry to react to changes like this.

No, you clearly do not watch this series. I've watched and read plenty of sports, and they research the sport itself thoroughly, but YOI is going above and beyond in referencing real places, events and people. Most sports anime don't leave high school so they don't have the same opportunity.

Johnny Weir (an Olympian) had an interview and commented on it thegeekiary.com/johnny-weir-watched-yuri-ice/40241
>There are so many details that pop up that wouldn’t mean anything to a casual skating fan, but to us as skaters who actually lived it, you can see so much respect for our world and what we do through the animations and story lines. Even down to the way certain hotels look. It’s very special.
>The producers definitely took their time to be sure that every detail was right. The fact that there are so many details makes it seem like the entire team was at events with us, backstage, in hotel rooms, at the banquets and so on.

yes, just like all those bandfags that cream over Hibike and it's realistic drama. YOI is overrated and wouldn't even be half as popular as it is now without the gay couple.

Are you trying to convince me that the diehard sport anime fans are majority fujos- who are the diehard YoI fans? Because I'm going to need a source. Literally every sports anime is labelled fujobait nowadays anyway, regardless of how little it panders to fujo.

*aren't majority fujos

Yes, it's for skatefags, fujos/homos and Russiaboos.

YoI is good, but the fandom with their "so refreshing, never been done before" and "its not icky like bl, welcome to the true gay world" bullshit is downright revolting.

>a romcom sports anime would be less popular without the romance subplot the entire storyline hinges on
No shit. That's like saying Toradora wouldn't be popular without the love story- of course it wouldn't, it's a major part of the plot.

It's watchable, so for fujoshi it's the best thing they've ever watched

Its a lot better than any seasonal BL and you have to be retarded to be arguing against that.

Thats because it doesn't have the delusion of being for boys that so many sports anime do. (And pretty much have to as most are shounen manga adaptations)

>without the gay couple
get it, now?

Sure, gay is all it takes for a series to sell. That's why BL adaptions are such huge Hits, right?

Moron. Gay anime is plentiful, fujos still won't buy it if it's garbage.

Maybe not with the Western fujos but it would probably still be pretty big in Japan as figure skating is huge over there.

Generally, the only people that love YoI are the people its specifically made for. This is what the industry is built on. Knowing who its audience is, and ignoring everyone else. And YoI is the first of its genre since the fujo sports boom to actually follow through.

garbage yaoi bait show. not overrated though. if you're there for yaoi you'll get it.

I get what you're saying now, and I guess you're right on that one. I don't remember a sports anime that dwelves that much into the life of a professional athlete like that, even showing them using social networks and all. You're wrong with one thing, I do watch this show and I'm a sports fan, currently have as many Sup Forumstabs open as Sup Forums ones. The thing is that those elements YoI shows are mostly for fangirls. Sport's fans don't really follow nor care that much for an athlete's personal life, Caring what kind of breakfast picture they post on instagram is what a fangirl would do.

I love how some famous people have commented on it.

Even South Park made a reference to YoI recently.

>no one really thinks the show has any artistic merit
I wish this was true.

Yeah but the "artistic praise" it gets is mainly fujos hoping it shifts both the BL and sports genre.

One thing that is sure is that my enjoyment of the show is doubled by the delicious tears and triggering it causes on Sup Forums.

>It's a hit because it's probably the first good anime that focuses on gays without being comedy or too irrealistic. Gays and fujo love it.
This. One of the reasons why it became a breakout hit is because it actually shows romance between the 2 main dudes without baiting or teasing, and without shifting the focus from skating, so it's not like it's forcing the gay relationship in front of viewers. For fujos and gays it's one of the first anime series that depicts it, so of course they're going to hail it. Even nowadays we barely get confirmed romantic relationships between male MCs and girl love interests (because nips are pussies), so it's something different that people like.
Also, real figure skating champions have started watching it and they talk about it on their social media which helps for advertising the series.
But also it's a good show because it rarely relies on anime tropes and gets rid of stupid writing right away.

>Even South Park made a reference to YoI recently.
seriously? What episode?

The comments are about the portrayal of the profession being accurate, not some ambiguous praise for the animation. There is a difference.

I wouldnt say it gets rid of stupid anime tropes in general. It just gets rid of the ones that don't pander to its audience- something sports shows have great difficulty doing due to the way sports manga and anime demographics differ.

(You)

crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2016/12/09/south-park-name-checks-crunchyroll-and-yuri-on-ice

>because it actually shows romance between the 2 main dudes without baiting or teasing
Are you kidding me, the whole thing is bait and teasing since neither of them ever say they're in an actual relationship. The "engagement ring" thing that Viktor said could easily be just sarcasm on his part. I think showing a gay couple in such a positive light would be a great thing but so far their whole relationship has revolved around nothing but vagueness that could easily be no-homo'd in the ending. If Kubo had any guts whatsoever she'd stop making vague tweets about "love" when people start bashing Yuri for potentially being gay and just outright say that they're 2 gay dudes.

The whole conversation you were replying to was about portrayal of the profession and not the animation. As very clearly said.

It has quite a lot of anime tropes to be honest, just not ones common in sports anime like spending 10 episodes on a match. There are plenty of narrative tropes like the 3 little girls breaking the fourth wall and explaining things to the audience. And shitty character tropes like panning to sky and cue "Ehhhh?!"

>But also it's a good show because it rarely relies on anime tropes and gets rid of stupid writing right away.
It sure adds a lot of appeal to normalfags, but I dunno if it's a good thing or not.

This is a show specifically handcrafted for fujos- there will be no "no homo" girlfriend scene. Anyone who believes that is delusional. Doubt that we'll get a kiss or confession though. Feels kind of stupid arguing about it 5 days before the finale though.

>buying wedding rings worth 800 EUR and putting them on another man's finger in front of a church
>pic related
No homo bro.

all i got from this is that they draw hotel rooms and banquet halls correctly. how revolutionary, i guess.

What does that last one have to do with character?

Not sure exactly since I don't watch it much, but here's the reference apparently, you can look it up

Don't bother, seriously. These people don't care, they already decided it isn't bait and absolutely nothing you say will change their mind.
Just wait for Victor to go back to Russia so the whole "engagement" turns to what it always was, nothing.

>didn't read the interview because he doesn't care but likes shitting on things anyway
sasuga Sup Forums. The power of hate is incredible.

They'll still find a way to claim it isn't bait.

It also gets rid of a lot of the wish fufillment sports anime stuff like rivals and being the greatest ever. And it changes the art style to one thats actually attractive to women. Fujos love sports anime, but if youre making one specifically for them, a lot can get cut out.

gay isn't the focus, which helps. Which is why I'm saying the inclusion of gay romance brings in more fans. Also, their gay romance is so idealized that all the fangirls and 'gay representation' people have their new favourite show.

It can't be overrated if less than 10 people watch it

Maybe stop bothering him (her?) and watch the show to its end, you stupid yaoifag.
The staff probably wants it to remain ambiguous and responding to those tweets would be equal to a spoiler.

user, just accept that you're going full autist trying to defend your fave show. The level of research put in isn't anything unique or praiseworthy.

Really? Because I'm pretty sure there would be a massive meltdown of people canceling BD pre-orders, not blind acceptance.

I'm waiting for that. But at some point everybody will simply realize how delusional they are and ignore anything they say.

Why do you take Viktor's word over Yuri's and ignore that Yuri explicitly said twice that it was a good luck charm?

Why do you ignore the fact that when they exchange rings they're not talking about their love for each other but they're talking about Yuri doing well in the GPF?

From nips I can definitely see them getting mad, but these retards on Sup Forums will just claim it changes nothing.

Because Yuuri is a Nip male who unless inebriated will never let his real feelings known.

The ending doesn't magically negate how everything has been presented up till that point. Are you retarded? How is it a fucking spoiler? It's Kubo being too chicken shit to take an actual stance because she doesn't want to make anyone angry.

>and responding to those tweets would be equal to a spoiler.
Oh it's this retarded logic again.

Confirming a kiss that happened in like episode 5 would not be a spoiler.

Confirming whether they're actually engagement rings isn't a spoiler since Viktor said in episode 10 that they were engagement rings.

See, here we go.

You quite literally didn't read the interview and are still trying to have this argument about it as if you know shit. The levels of retardation are unbelievable.
>"There have been many strange moments watching a fictionalized version of our world, so much so that I’ve had times when I say to myself, “Who told!?” There are so many secrets in in the show that only skaters or people very close to them, would know about."
This from an Olympic skater. That's the level of detail that went into it and you can't refute that without being literally retarded. I'd rather be an autist about it than that.

I'm just hoping the kyoani archery boys isn't fujo. And if it is they should risk it and have two of them be a couple from the start. I think it would be a great experiment to see how fujos and the audience in general react.

That goes for Erased

>who unless inebriated will never let his real feelings known.
The only feeling he let known when he was drunk was that he wanted Viktor to be his coach, not for Viktor to be his boyfriend.

Archery boys won't even get an anime for another year or two, assuming it's even happening. There's no point in talking about it.

>This from an Olympic skater. That's the level of detail that went into it and you can't refute that without being literally retarded.
If only that skater actually went into specifics instead of just referring to vague shit.

Your post proves nothing.

I'm not even the guy you originally replied to, dumbshit, I can just see that you're making a huge deal out of literally nothing and being blinded by your assrage that not everyone worships your show. It's writers' jobs to put research into their work.

Isn't that based on a manga? I think we probably already have the answer there.