Comcast hints at plan for paid fast lanes after net neutrality repeal

>For years, Comcast has been promising that it won't violate the principles of net neutrality, regardless of whether the government imposes any net neutrality rules. That meant that Comcast wouldn't block or throttle lawful Internet traffic and that it wouldn't create fast lanes in order to collect tolls from Web companies that want priority access over the Comcast network.

>This was one of the ways in which Comcast argued that the Federal Communications Commission should not reclassify broadband providers as common carriers, a designation that forces ISPs to treat customers fairly in other ways. The Title II common carrier classification that makes net neutrality rules enforceable isn't necessary because ISPs won't violate net neutrality principles anyway, Comcast and other ISPs have claimed.

>But with Republican Ajit Pai now in charge at the Federal Communications Commission, Comcast's stance has changed. While the company still says it won't block or throttle Internet content, it has dropped its promise about not instituting paid prioritization.

arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2017/11/comcast-quietly-drops-promise-not-to-charge-tolls-for-internet-fast-lanes/

Other urls found in this thread:

ecy.wa.gov/programs/wr/comp_enforce/comp_enfor.html#howwaterregulated
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Good. NNiggers can go get fucked.

fyi all the major cloud/internet companies already do this stuff. Google, Amazon, Facebook, Apple, Netflix, etc. most have direct peering agreements with major ISPs simply because of the amount of traffic they generate. this isn't anything new and nothing to worry about.

>paid prioritization

So basically what we already have where you pay more to get faster speeds.

Wow, nothing new here. Your internet is still all tied into shared cables.

>Pay more
>Internet is faster
Truly, the only thing preventing such a travesty is net neutrality. Only NN can prevent such a horrible crime against consumers

>get a government monopoly
>misuse that monopoly
Not surprised.

For everyone that actually cares.

Making ISPs common carriers (net neutrality) opens the market place to competition.

Much like the late 1980s where the bells were forced to open their lines and long distance calls dropped radically in price to 10 cents a minute. MCI worldcom etc.

The ISPs hate this idea because it means they

>1 can't have monopolies
>2 can't treat content differently allowing competition destroying practices
>3 can only make money based on a percentage of infrastructure cost and improvement.

Net neutrality is a really great thing and what should have happened in ado be 2008

But "republicans" are nothing but corporate whores.

Are you actually retarded or just pretending?
There's a difference between paying for faster overall connection to the internet vs paying for speeds on certain websites or content categories.

So everyone else in the world wont have to deal with americans online as much? Cant wait for this to pass.

All ISPs should be common carriers. You kids are all too young to understand the fuckery that was telecom. There is a reason they busted the trusts, broke up the bells, and opened up telecom.

Nothing new under the sun.

Bust the ISPs. Please send letters to the FCC and your congress persons.

I hope Net Neutality is killed. Maybe kids, teens and 20-somethings, will go back to studying and or doing some work for once, instead of bitching and moaning on social media.

So FTC is going to come down hard on antitrust right?

neither lane will connect to Sup Forums

enjoy

>i want jewish owned corporations to censor my information
cute

Like comcast will get what they want lol, you guys have to be kidding me, it's not gonna happen. They wont abolish NN ever.

They already do man, this did nothing to fix it. They won't be fixing it now. You are OWNED by Jews. Enjoy the slave planet.

Also to add to this, Comcast and Verizon have been offering packages of faster internet for more money, for years already. I was paying for the faster service til I was told that the physical wires weren't even able to carry the fast signal, due to old infrastructure not being upgraded in my area.

NN retards are paid shills. That's it.

Nice meme retard.

>No blocking
>EU

My sides

It's worse than that. They're shilling for free!

To all pro Trump shills, why do you enjoy getting puckered so hard in the behind?

Make some noise now America or you will lose. Repeal this shit and keep NN.

>Why not suck corporate cock? It's delicious!

There isn't. ISPs are already blocked from discriminating between information. This means the only way to offer this service is by offering access to a different internal system which has fewer connections and less data transfer relative to the main network. This means that the people who are paying for fast lane service will actually be making the internet faster for everyone else. This model will help incentivize ISPs to build new wires and networks, without unilateral price raises. An actual good road analogy--look at I-70 in Colorado. In the mountains, the highway was stuck to two lanes, which was causing incredible back ups. The state then opened up the shoulder as a third lane, which was monitored by a private company as a toll lane. While not enough of a fix due to incredible population growth, it has gone a long way to fixing the problem by providing the necessary overflow when the road is crowded, and minimizing expenditures by all. The worse traffic gets, the more people are willing to use the express lane, but when traffic is low, it is empty, preventing wear and tear. It took no extra money from taxpayers, and made the road faster for everyone.

If you support NN, you're sucking one company's cock, if you're against it, you're sucking a different one. Corporate dick is inescapable.

netflix and netflix users (30% of the internet) are about to get fucked

If you're still giving comcast money you really deserve to be fucked. I'd rather go back to dial up than ever have comcast ever again.

>repeal this shit
It's not a law
>keep NN
We already had it. Actual net neutrality is baked into the basic operations of the internet. Abusing it is already illegal. What exactly, in specific terms, is being done that is bad AND prevented by regulating the internet as a utility? This whole thing is a fight over who should pay for internet innovation. Since when has it been a good idea for the government to dictate that and impose it on the taxpayer? Why shouldn't Netflix and Google pay for new internet?

>internet is less then 1mbps
Fast lane needed muh ass you'll niggas don't even slow internet. I was born into third world internet raised by it I've never seen and will never see fast internet. All these high speed internet niggas merely could never even adopt the slow internet.

No, just netflix. That's what no one likes talking about. When Netflix doesn't load properly, avg joe blames Netflix, not comcast, especially when he looks at his internet connection and it says "green". If Netflix is slow, people stop paying for Netflix. If Netflix doesn't pay for faster speeds, they will lose their customers. If they raise their prices, they will lose their customers.

>Why shouldn't Netflix and Google pay for new internet?
What about NN would prevent Netflix and Google for paying for new internet?

Consumers are going to get fucked by ISP's harder than Justin Bieber in prison. Spread those ass cheeks wide for the monopoly horse dick.

>regulations on laying down infrastructure and competing in the ISP market are so corrupt that Giants like Google can barely scratch the market
YOU RETARDS ARE PICKING THE WRONG TARGET. We need to attack the regulations that attack competition. Regulations are always used as exploitable tools for larger corporations to attack smaller businesses. If you really give a fuck about the internet you will do whatever it takes to prevent internet service from becoming a utility. Supporting NN practically admits that internet service is a utility. You shouldn't be fighting against or for it, put the pressure where it counts.

The only way you can fuck over ISPs is if you make what ISPs fear most come into existence. And that's competition. Regulation is their ultimate exploit.

hoenstly anything is better than what I have now, my internet has a soft data cap even though Cox doesn't mention it anywhere, I spend like half the month every month with internet that barely works, especially my upload speeds, I can't get fucking anything uploaded, and some stuff is worse than others, like sometimes a youtube video won't play unless I download the file, which will download faster, or trying to upload on mediafire will upload reasonably fast while I can have a torrent sitting for a week and not upload a single megabyte.

As far as I'm concerned I'm already being throtled and having certain services prioritized over others, can you really blame me for at least being curious to see if anything changes by getting rid of net neutrality?

Comcast already does this, so why do they need to repeal NN? Neo/pol/ is full on ZOG just like their president

"The system sucks, I don't know if it'll help, but let's change something anyway" is not a sound basis for a policy change. It can always get worse. You should study the proposed policy change and determine for yourself whether you think it's good for yourself / society.

>Netflix and Google users getting fucked by their ISPs
I'm unironically OK with that.

That won't happen at all. It's a r*ddit invention.

The fact that the government would regulate ISPs as utility providers, forcing them to build new lines according to the governments determination of what's important, not what profit dictates. As part of this process, prices will be controlled. This will mean flat rates for everyone. That means when Netflix needs to have a more direct connection to Comcast, the cost of it will be spread across all comcast users, instead of carried mostly by Netflix. Please look into at least the basics of macroeconomics before getting into an economic debate. The fewer choices there are between ISPs, and the more important internet becomes to daily life, the less price sensitive we all become. However, we are all very price sensitive to the web services we use (netflix, google). When government regulates a monopoly (which is what utility designation means), prices are lower than a pure monopoly, but higher than a competitive market. And, not only does it give web services (the largest and most impactful internet users) legal protection from higher pricing, it opens a political avenue by which they can push for lower prices due to their economic importance. A fair amount of corporations actually have lower water and gas prices, despite being more taxing on the overall system. Designating something as a utility is almost entirely negative. Do you think we would have such an inefficient electric grid if electricity was not a utility? Do you think energy prices would be so high? It's true that it would have taken longer for every home to be connected to a grid, but that just demonstrates that electric companies would have needed to innovate more in order to reach the same level of market penetration. Can you think of worse companies than your local water or electric or gas companies? Can you think of more corrupt industries? Also, I'm pretty sure you're the same Mexifag posting in all these threads, always with the same dumb arguments. Must be a shill.

This is a good point, not very neutral if it's Nazis huh?

Fuck the internet, it fucking blows now anyway, we are due for a crash.

That's a really good argument for not implementing these "NN" regulations in the first place. Especially when the FCC doesn't have the authority.

Why is Sup Forums shilling so hard for predatory companies to fuck them in the ass?

Big telecom companies are, in their very nature, predatory. I work for one.

Belive me, you don't want these companies to have free reigns, they will fuck consumers hard.

Irrelevant, the FTC will be enforcing net neutrality. What we're upset over now is that the FCC is giving up their power to censor Russian propaganda. That is unacceptable. The Trump FCC are a bunch of pussies. "Boo hoo, this is too much power for us". Fucking wimps.

The only reason these companies have been able to fuck us so hard already is government intervention. Companies live and die by the consumer. Asking the government to intervene in such a way gives us less power to change things, will raise prices for all, and lead to worse service. The internet is not a right, nor a necessity.

They rather slurp corporate dick and thank their executive daddy's for fucking theem in the ass than having ze governmentz regulating these psychopathic monopolies from freezing out competition.

>Russian propaganda.
>Russian
>propaganda
That's a funny way to spell Alphabet.

Pay attention. The FTC is enforcing Net Neutrality. Our new outrage is that the FCC is giving up their power to censor the internet as they see fit. This is unacceptable.

Things are only a monopoly when allowed by the government. Designating something a utility makes it a fucking monopoly. Fucking retards.

Tell me about, go on all day about being jewed, the go all
>muh great corporations
who will kike them proper. Cant wait to see the salt when anti NN idiots have to pay extra for the 4ch shitposting package, and libtards lobby their ISP to not provide access to raycist sites.

Next these tards will be saying the water company can decide on what you can do with what comes out the tap.

The FTC are powerless - which they have admitted to themselves. There are way too many loopholes in your broken anti-trust laws that they are toothless from monopoly fuckery.

You are in essence fucked.

Not having binge watching Netflix zombies have to pay more for their overwhelming bandwidth usage is a travesty. Infrastructure upgrades will be needed solely for these mindless peons and I'm glad they will be paying more for it.

To be fair, the people who will get bitten on the ass by this the hardest won't be most of us, we are fairly savvy.

It will be the blumpf posting, Netflix watching normalfags on Facebook who know fuck all about anything.

It's almost worth it to watch them suffer, maybe they will finally fuck the fuck off.

>(((Comcast)))
So tired of jews.

There's also a chance that Netflix partners with ISPs to get favored speeds while fucking over the rest of the internet. Once you give someone the power to fuck someone over you don't know that that the someone getting fucked won't one day be you.

>forcing them to build new lines
Common carrier regulation does not cause the government to force carriers to perform construction. Netflix pays for its junction with Comcast. NN simply prevents Comcast for charging differently for Netflix traffic once they have it.

>And, not only does it give web services (the largest and most impactful internet users) legal protection from higher pricing, it opens a political avenue by which they can push for lower prices due to their economic importance.
What is the mechanism by which companies could push for lower prices under NN? Subsidies? Those have nothing to do with NN; I'm sure you're thinking of something else, but I would like to know what it is.

>Do you think energy prices would be so high? It's true that it would have taken longer for every home to be connected to a grid, but that just demonstrates that electric companies would have needed to innovate more in order to reach the same level of market penetration. Can you think of worse companies than your local water or electric or gas companies? Can you think of more corrupt industries?
Market penetration of electric companies is 100% because everybody needs electricity.

>Also, I'm pretty sure you're the same Mexifag posting in all these threads, always with the same dumb arguments. Must be a shill.
You figured it out. Anyone who consistently advocates for a position he cares about is a shill.

I agree that we're fucked. Now that we won't have a tiny group of altruistic bureaucrats ensuring we don't read content we shouldn't be reading, we're at risk of another Drumpf rising up thanks to Russian propaganda. Absolutely frightening.

You mean like it already is, because water is a designated utility? Dumb fuck.
ecy.wa.gov/programs/wr/comp_enforce/comp_enfor.html#howwaterregulated

You live in a communist country
Your personal experience is irrelevant

And when they overreach we will finally have the political capital to hang the filthy kikes at the helm and break up these disgusting parasitic monopolies

>Comcast wouldn't block or throttle lawful Internet traffic

They already do.

>I want the jewish owned government to censor my information.

anyone that knows how to internet will be able to bypass this
the "tech-savvy" numales and normies will be the ones hurting
it's about time we got a segregated internet

No I don't.

I'm pretty sure the US is more devoid of competition in the telecom market than Norway.

You already have the dark web for this, but nobody uses it except drug dealers, terrorists and pedophiles. People, including Sup Forums users, end up bowing to convenience in the end.

1. Designating a utility means the Gov can fine and punish companies for not providing fair access to the internet. Meaning not developing in expensive, rural areas, or not providing enough bandwidth to high density urban areas. Also, if there is any suggestion of racial bias, they can be punished that much more. And given that demographics are pretty clearly divided on geographic lines, it's pretty easy to make the case of racial animus, even when other factors are the primary drivers. Just ask home lenders prior to 2008.
2. Designating something a utility means the government is held partly responsible for the service, and can grant subsidies on the service itself. If internet is not a utility, Netflix/Google have to pay just about whatever price comcast and charter demand. If the government regulates as utility, Netflix/Google can lobby the California government to give them a lower internet price because of their immense importance to the California economy. The cable companies still have to make some profit, so these costs will be distributed among all other users.
3. Electricity is now effectively a necessity, but that is because it was made a utility. Electricity is not necessary for human survival. Electric companies asked for monopoly protection because they said it was necessary for it to be worth the investing of laying wires. Had this not been done, do you really think people would have abandoned electricity? Many portions of the country would not have adopted electricity when they did had it not been for government intervention. They never would have adopted it unless there had been substantial innovation. By and large, electricity is not necessary. Certainly not to the extent we have adopted it.
4. Why'd you change your flag if it doesn't matter?

OH LOOK RIGHT ON CUE! Share blue shilling/reddit shilling

>Comcast
is ANYONE surprised?

How retarded are you? Using a different car doesn't change the roads you take to get to your destination.

Like a lot of the world right now, America is just being a test rabbit to see how this will pan out. Then we can decide with evidence what will happen in our own counties

Thanks USA

That the water company saying that or your state legislation? Imagine if your water company decided you couldnt make beer with the water, or the mail company decided who you can send letters to. Better analogy: your TV aerial maker gets to decide what programs you get to watch.

I dont see how you dumb cunts dont get the difference between a carrier (isp) and the service its used to access (site). You dont give the former power over the latter. You pay an ISP for bandwidth, what you do with it is no fucking business of theirs.

Enjoy being kiked.

>fast lanes are antithetical even if they want to offer better services than presently allowed by their network

Isps still have to offer a product worth a damn you fucking retard. Can do doesn't mean will do or viable. Remember when at&t blocked Sup Forums? How long did it stay blocked? Why was it unblocked? Do you not think data caps have to do with how it is that isps are forced to let their networks be this way?

If greater services exist that tax their network highly wouldn't it be a good idea to offer them a better service than they have now so your network isnt blown to fuck if you release your data cap?

If your counter argument is give an inch take a mile then i have to ask what's the legitimacy of a state since the same logic works there.

>Just ask home lenders prior to 2008.
Discrimination lawsuits are managed by the FTC. FCC regulations / Net Neutrality / Common Carrier designation would not change the way that racial discrimination lawsuits are filed against ISPs.

>Netflix/Google can lobby the California government to give them a lower internet price because of their immense importance to the California economy.
Net Neutrality is an explicit ban on giving people different prices for internet traffic. What you're talking about might be some horrible government plan, but it would be 100% banned by NN. At that point the policy will have morphed from "Net Neutrality" into something different entirely.

>4. Why'd you change your flag if it doesn't matter?
I decided to make a joke in another thread and decided I didn't want the Mexican flag following me around but in the end it morphed into a big argument about NN again (big surprise) and now I can't be arsed to manage these flags properly. The IDs are the same.

I'm not that interested in arguing about the electricity point, if someone is convinced by your argument it's the winner.

I was talking to someone who was talking about how great it would be to have a "segregated internet" that normies can't access. My point is that we already have one.

From what I can tell it would make things more like what they have in Britain, who have really good internet which is bought on sold on the lines of the big companies and provided to the consumer by smaller providers who lease the service to be given out, or something like that, it's been a while but basically they had really good internet compared to the early 2000s because of it, although it's not the same thing, but again it's basically as bad as it can get for me, if it gets worse and I just shut of my internet cause it's not worth it anymore than that's what i'll do, I have enough movies and games saved to last me a lifetime at this point.

>implying a law's age is what determines its relevance
You know what niggers and ShareBlue really hate? What really pisses us lefties off? We hate when you guys kill yourselves. Please don't do it, whatever you do, don't kill yourself, you'll make leftists lose sleep.

Nice try Shlomo. I only copycat suicide, so you'll need to go first and upload graphic videos.

jajajaja. This cunt needs to pay a television licence to get the cucking BBC, and wants to lecture Amerifats on censorship? Do you even know why we're so fat? Because our companies love us to death. We give them money, and they give us whatever the fuck we want, even if it's really bad for us. Why would the water company want to limit what you can do with their water unless there were political repercussions? But yeah, we should hand the internet over to the government, because otherwise the government might get involved. There's a difference between roads and couriers. ISPs are courier services that own some private roads. NN is about gaining control of the courier services under the guise of freeing the roads. If you want to make sure ISPs don't discriminate information as part of their Courier duties, then simply push for laws that limit the liability ISPs have for data on their network and enact fines for tampering with data speeds. Designating Internet as a utility solves no problems. But that's not something you'll hear from the British Beta Cucks

1. You must be the same guy, because you still can't fucking read. If FCC designates internet as a utility, it's a utility and will be seen as such by all other government agencies. The government is one entity.
2. Please fucking read. What I'm talking about is what happens to utilities. The fact that "net neutrality" isn't net neutrality is the fucking point. you worthless shill.
3. Just get out.

>dont get the govt involved
>if they kike us enact laws

Jesus wept. Start saving now for your shitposting package, special offer only $20/mo goy.

They are millenials who grew up coddled by the regulations they hate so much, and the freedoms and low prices those regulations have provided.
It's not their fault. They're children. They simply don't have a frame of reference.
They were still infants or unborn when telecoms were charging $2 a minute to talk "long distance" three states over and $5 a minute to call Canada from the US. They don't remember how SMS text messages cost 50 cents a piece after you went over your allotment of 20.
And they don't remember how telecoms swore they'd be bankrupted if they didn't charge these outrageous prices. Funny how long distance and SMS suddenly became all but free once instant messagers and VoIP became commonplace and blew them the fuck out.
They're going to shit their pants when they start getting charged for using Skype / Whatsapp / etc. and when international connection fees come back. But then it'll be too late. Fucking memed.

A law's age is highly relevant. The fact that it's a policy and not a law is even more important.

Kike

>involve gov more
>involve gov less
yeah, totally the same. hope you're not investing these 20 cents into green energy.

And your bitching about anti-discrimination lawsuits is completely irrelevant to whether something is a utility or not: banks are not utilities. Way to inject something entirely irrelevant into the conversation.

>The fact that "net neutrality" isn't net neutrality is the fucking point. you worthless shill.
So you don't actually give a shit about net neutrality. We're talking about net neutrality, so you can moan and bitch about something else. Spoilers: if the government wants to subsidize Google, they can do it whether Google is a utility or not.

>3. Just get out.
What will you do if I don't, cry?

holy shit how can somebody be this murican, thank god we won't see faggots like you on the internet soon.

>big telecom companies are predatory
All companies are predatory. So are people. So are governments. This is the nature of competition. But, people have more direct influence over daily operations of companies than over government. Government is the least responsive and most protected institution. Although they are predatory, they are not antagonistic. Governments frequently are. A corporations interest is more easily aligned with its customers based on the profit motive. The governments interests are frequently antagonistic to the people due to the power motive. The more powerful the people, the less powerful the government. The more powerful the government, the less powerful the people. Corporations are simple minded, and so can be used by the people. Most of the government has no short term concern, and so is extremely manipulative. A consumer movement can make any company suck the people's dick. Asking the government to regulate is the worst possible solution.

What is your opinion of anti-trust legislation?

>A law's age is highly relevant.
Holy fuck, you're a brainlet.
By your reasoning, we don't need a ban on muslims simply because we didn't have one two years ago.
See how stupid you are now?
What matters is whether or not we need the law, which may or may not change based on circumstances.

151126042 no (you) kike
>shilling not working
>REEEE MILLENIALS!!

>muh millennials

Nigger what? Most of the millennials are going ape shit over this and trying to prevent telecoms from taking over. It's old faggots that don't know how the fucking internet works that are fucking over everything

Good argument. Sorry that our capitalism actually makes a fairer and more equitable society than your dumb socialism. On the bright side, I'm sure we'll be neighbors soon after you become a refugee from your country's terrible economic policies.

Time for GNUnet to rise and shine.

>If we don't let ISPs block websites, they win.

No one likes kikebook, but at least the internet isn't broken. The only people effected by the current NN are people actually using those services which honestly you shouldn't.

The ultimate capitalism is choosing to use something or not freely. But when you have a company that controls something that they know you need, (let's face it internet is a necessity nowadays) it becomes dangerous and tyrannical. the opposite of a capitalistic society.

>wanting to lose more freedom

you guys are either shills are brainwashed contrarian retarded children.

>most of the smart millenials
ftfy.
and then you have Sup Forums

Largely good, but potentially abuse able. When a corporation becomes too big, it begins to have the same influence as government. It's why TPP was terrible. Would have given so much power to Transnationals that they would have basically become global fiefdoms.

Do it faggots I can't wait to see your asses get trust-busted.

So what does this mean for me? Will I still be able to access Sup Forums? Because if so, I don't give a fuck. Even if they throttle it down to dialup speeds, it'll just give me a good excuse to read some books I haven't gotten to yet. Literally no fucks given. Pajeet Pai can do whatever he wants, and getting jewed by my ISP will be no different then getting jewed by any other service.

>inb4 stupid kids call me old

>being a newfaggot
good goy.

>which may or may not change based on circumstances
Oh, you mean a circumstance like time? E.g. "net neutrality" is only two years old, and has barely been implemented, so it would be easy to roll back, vs. social security which is largeley detrimental to society but almost impossible to get rid of because of how long it's been in place.

>not having any self control
just tell your mom to hold back your hot pockets