Neon Genesis Evangelion

After 3 years of putting this off, I finally got around to watching it, EoE, and the rebuilds.

Why is this the greatest anime of all time? The 2nd rebuild wasnt bad, but what the fuck happened with the 3rd one?

>Evangelion Thread

also Punished Asuka is pretty bad ass

It's best to think of the Rebuilds as Anno's fanfic.

3.0 felt like it should've had the seinfeld theme going on th whole time

And Benny Hill whenever he feels like running away. In fact someone should make a sad piano version of Benny Hill just for that purpose.

>tfw Eva is still the same fujoshit bait even after nearly 20 years
He did again, the madman

Eva is the reason there's so much fujoshit in the Anime industry now.
Even fucking Yuri on Ice copied Kaworu and Shinji.

Rebuilds are shit don't associate them with NGE and EoE.

Is there a slightly less shitty parallel universe where fujos are more like Asuka and Misato and less like the Thing and the Elephant Man? I still remember my disappointment at this after my first convention.
>in before going to conventions ever

>Why is this the greatest anime of all time?
Besides 25/26 and Rebuilds which are just diluted versions of the actual vision of Evangelion and EoE, it's mainly in the depth of the show's themes, the construction of its characters, the subversion of tropes both in plot and its role reversal of mecha

Show does have a stupid episode or two but it's basically close to perfect for me, only wish Kaworu had more time to develop

>subversion of tropes

Kaworu already got his development from the beginning, he's a perfect character, the person Shinji Ikari wants to be

it's nothing but a meme

I mean
yeah
can't really deny that's a whole element of the thing, down to the "resolution" of EoE
I know it sounds pretentious as fuck but not much I can do bout that

Fair enough
I'm just saying that from a writing perspective if we maybe pushed his introduction back an episode his actions would have some more weight but that's really minor because you're basically right

It's the greatest, because it actually has good themes. It's kind of a coming-of-age story, well delivered and thought through
The only problem with it is its transformation into a cancerous franchise that shouldn't even exist, which is funny, because its intention was to make people think about their real life and accept it.
also
>pic related
So, which should we trust, Sup Forums?
I guess its because the characters are so believable and lovable

>that scene in EoE where she just slumps against the elevator

my fuckin feels

I fell into half-a-year depression after watching the series and EoE. I got rid of it when I actually understood the ending and the message (which both were positive, bittersweet but positive). Shinji (and Asuka) is simply the bravest character of all japanese animes tbqh.

Interesting.
I think I've finally found it, Sup Forums. I've finally found something that's different between me and Shinji. I never want to be the kind of person that gets another into a Faustian deal, or be responsible for someone else taking their own life. I'd rather be scum of the earth, than be universally loved and have another person's life and sanity on my shoulders. Spoiler'd for blog.

>not wanting your own Kaworu to love you and try to make you happy no matter what

but it's gay, user
gays are bad

It's not gay if one of them wears a skirt, you fag.

I mean, it's positive but ultimately it's just so devastating realizing your own failings in what the show itself preaches

that "How disgusting" at the very end just fucking broke me and I can't to this day say why

ew, user, you are disgusting, Shinji is pure, leave him alone, he's not for your stupid space Jesus
source?

You and I both know Shinji is a fucking slut who would take 5 nigger dicks up the ass if he could.

Kaworu is a pure angel, who is completely heterosexual like the good lord intended.

maybe story is stupid
but it's actually a quality animation

Because it's a compilation of other great anime.

>story is stupid
>

fair enough, but there's nothing necessarily wrong with that desu

Nope. Trust and love need to be earned, not given.

I put myself in Asuka's position and understand her reaction usually
think about it
>try to get boy's attention numerous times with your sex appeal
>he's so passive (afraid of rejection) he can't respond
>faps silently in his closet to you
>never tries to comfort you or show you that he cares about you (he actually cares only about himself)
>finally, comes to you when you are drugged in hospital
>literally sexually harasses you (and does so only when you can't even respond)
>doesn't even try to come to your rescue
>after all of this tries to make you care about him
>wake up to him strangling the shit out of you
I wouldn't just say something if I was in her place, I would beat the shit out of Shinji. Sure, she understood him and accepted him and herself but that doesn't change the fact that his behavior was utterly disgusting

So, you need to earn the trust and love of your parents?
That's pretty depressing, user. I feel bad for you.

>literally sexually harasses you (and does so only when you can't even respond)
>>>/tumblr/

I mean, I understand the reaction
I'm just thinking from the perspective of Shinji that even when everything is lost he's still fucked up big time one thing that could give him salvation because of his own selfishness in the past

The hand touching the face before is some sort of respite from that but idk that whole scene is just so crushing

also asuka, shinji, and misato have the most fucked payche's ever

i just wanna hold them ;_;

m8 he fuckin opens up her dress and masturbates to her when she's in a coma

tumblr doesn't play a hand in this, even the dude thinks it's fucked up

I said source, you fujoshit
Kaworu is as much faggot as Shinji and you know it
he even uses 逢 when talking about meeting Shinji

It's not, and the animation was great in the episodes that were not a production wreckage, but the thing is this compilation shadows the great anime it was based on. No one talks about Ideon for example, and that's pretty much the infrastructure of the series.

The way you wrote that, I assumed you were talking about him harassing her more than once, since you already mentioned him fapping over her in the hospital.

KAWORU IS STRAIGHT AND HETEROSEXUAL LIKE JESUS

SHINJI TRIED TO SEDUCE HIM LIKE THE FAGGOT SLUT HE IS

Source is the manga

I'll look into it, user
I would believe it

Ah ok
Well either way Shinji played the spaghetti card more than a few times and deserves a good slap or two

I never got it in the first place, but it's too late to blame and sadpost now, isn't it.
Best thing I can do, I can be on my own and try to be a better person than they were. After all they got the same crap from their parents, someone has to make an improvement some time and it might as well be me.

this
I want Asuka as my daughterfu to play with her in my garden and hug her for good grades

Reminder that Shinji is canonicaly heterosexual.
>Speaking about the blushing, is it because Shinji was happy that someone said they like him?
>Anno: Yes, Shinji-kun really didn't experience carnal desire there *laugh*.
Confirmed by Anno himself.

Well that explains a lot.
You've never experienced what it's like to have someone genuinely care about you, so of course you can't relate to Shinji's feelings for Kaworu.

You don't know what real love feels like, either giving or receiving. And until you experience it for yourself, you'll never understand Shinji in episode 24.

Fuck it I have free time at christmas, how do I watch this entire series?

You only need to watch Death and Rebuild and Rebuild 3.0

if you can help it, watch the full series and EoE. if you cant, this.

I only know how to survive, to figure it out as I go along. Maybe it's good, maybe it isn't. I could blog, but I won't.
It's interesting to see another perspective, to see the perspective of someone who has no interest in using me.

It's not a matter of right or wrong, you just simply don't have that kind of experience. It's nothing really against you.
But you can't make statements on love when you're clearly no expert on it.

Shinji and Kaworu's relationship was created from deep within Anno's heart. His experiences and emotions are genuine, you can't say they're wrong or invalid just because you haven't had the pleasure of experiencing them.
Although I hope you will have the chance to in the future.

>>literally sexually harasses
>sexually harasses
>harassment
>when you are in a coma
user, I don't think you know what that word means

You will never experience the love of a cute grill like Maya because of her sexuality

why

I finished the manga not too long ago, I liked how it was exploring a slightly different angle for a while, but I feel that at some point, maybe 2/3rds in they dropped the ball and basically did a shot-to-shot redraw of the last few episodes and EoE.

Is there a story behind this? I'm not a mangafag normally so I wouldn't know.

Thank you.

The creator of the manga, Sadamoto, was requested to do it to promote the Anime back in '95, but he was never really interested in doing it so he struggled to finish it over 20 years.
He really hated doing it and at some point he just gave up even trying.
A shame because it had a lot of potential.
Some parts were even better than the Anime, like giving Kaji a backstory.

Kaworufags are truly the worst.

The manga was drawn out over a very long time period. He probably wanted to just wrap it up.

The first chapter of the manga came out before the anime started airing in 1995. There was a long hiatus about 3/4 the way through (in chapters), where Sadamoto had clearly got bored and couldn't see what to do next, and the last chapter came out a couple of years ago.

>the way you held it is like a mother
What did he mean by this

You hate being reminded no one loves you?

oh boy, it's Eva thread full of fujoshit again, truly the lowest scum of otaku
>kawoshin
>implying "romantic" context of Shinji and Kaworu's relationship wasn't completely unnecessary and wasn't added there just because Anno wanted to self-insert his dirty fantasies about Ikuni-sama like a selfish homo he is
>implying Shinji's love for Kaworu isn't actually brotherly and friendly rather than absolutely unnecessarily romantic
>implying the whole kawoshin support isn't just a joke among the staff
>implying Ikuni-sama isn't disgusted with it himself because he knows of filthy Anno's 20-year long stalking
>implying Kaworu isn't the most typical and one-dimensional shit character of the show and is only popular because of his Jesus-like escapistic nature and twinky sex appeal pandering to fujoshits
Kaworufags are sure delusional, shine, faggots
Sadamoto did a good job by showing some emotional moments with Yui and giving Kaji a backstory, yes
Everything else was utter shit, Shinji became your typical mecha shonen etc.
It's pretty obvious that Sadamoto either didn't like original characters or didn't get them
They are the true miracle of anime tbqh

>I don't like it so it's not a part of the series

Thanks. Damn shame about it, it started out a great compliment to the anime, only to become an uninspired derivative which I practically skimmed through because I can replay EoE scene-to-scene in my head anyway.

It always seems like the anons who claim to know Eva the best are the ones who are running away from it.

>implying he knows Eva better than me
I understand perfectly the fujoshit bait Anno threw at people like you and I understand perfectly it's role in the anime, you're the one who's totally deaf, my man or are you a man?

No one in the thread was even talking about fujoshit stuff until your posts.
You're obsessed, to the point where it's a little creepy.
Maybe you should take a step out of the closet, user-kun.

I want to rewatch it but I don't want to remember her.
If I had a chance to find someone like her, and had to sign up for a creepy cybernetic or paranormal program in order to meet her, I would fucking agree to it without thinking.
Also unrelated, I'm about this close to dropping Zeta. Whenever Tomino writes himself into an interesting, emotional situation, he just draws the line and carries on with business as usual.

Was Karl intended to be illiterate? Because it suddenly makes a lot of sense.

Well he was only human for a short while. He didn't lear to appreciate things such as 10 Ways to get a flat belly without exercise, or why These power foods will change the way you look at breakfast.