Why is the first season of Yu Yu Hakusho so much different than the rest of it? The first 14 episodes specifically...

Why is the first season of Yu Yu Hakusho so much different than the rest of it? The first 14 episodes specifically. Rewatching this is really weird.

What started as a paranormal detective series ended up becoming a battle series, because that was what was popular at the time.

Who made the decision to change it?

Presumably the editors. The manga actually spends a lot of time on Yusuke going around as a ghost helping random people. The anime minimizes that, but also cuts some of his early post-resurrection stuff in order to get to the battles quicker.

So what, the show completely turned around just because the editors wanted it to?

How many Shonen Jump series went from gag series to by-the-numbers battle tournament shit?

On the top of my head:

>YYH
>Medaka Box
>Reborn

Was Shaman King originally a tournament manga?

Dragonball itself. The reason it became more and more action focused was because the Budokai arcs were more popular than the adventure ones. The first dragonball quest almost wasn't popular enough to keep the series around.

Still, at the very least it was half-gag, half-martial arts until King Piccolo. Ki wasn't much of a thing up until that point.

Medaka Box makes fun of everything shounen, that's the reason it has battles. I'd argue the first arc was there to parody this exact change.

Beelzebub kind of has this, but it never drops the gags between the arcs.

Kinnikuman

yu yu hakusho had such an amazing first episode it's really a shame what it devolved into

Why do you think Shonen Jump let Togashi make anything he wants now? They were really abusive with Yu Yu Hakusho. And it's quite normal for editors to change the story to fit the trends.

I love the first 6 episodes of Yu Yu Hakusho, they were perfect.
Thought the whole thing was going to be him trying to get his body back, but then it shifted gears so abruptly and rapidly.

I got up to like ep 30 before I dropped it

the dark tournament arc was pretty good for the most part until the very very end

Most series turn to shit when editors go against the author's future plot points for cashgrab.

I would kill to have a Beelzebub series that's just school-life, gag antics with the occasional trips to demon world.

Try sticking with it until the Dark Tournament. It's standard shonen stuff but it's probably the best tournament arc I've ever seen in a show.

YuYu Hakusho is not a gag manga.

The first three volumes of the manga are great, it's basically Yusuke solving some ghost shit with Botan and that's about it.
It culminates with Yusuke kissing Keiko, which is the best moment in the series imo.
The rest of YYH is nice, but I wish it sticked to the ultra comfy ghost detective atmosphere it had.

Does anyone else feel like Yu Yu Hakusho and Bleach got the same exact treatment?

Bleach was doomed since the beginning.
Meanwhile Yu Yu Hakusho become asspull: the anime.

I think episode 30 is early Dark Tournament.

The yu yu hakusho 1st ed. aesthetic is best yu yu hakusho. the forlorn hope episode was really the peak of the 'helping random people' because it was combining the soon to take over battle element with that sentimental element.

Because back then it was good.

>show
Manga. And yes, plenty of shounen jump series shift from comedy to battle. You must be incredibly new.

Once dark tournament ended
I couldn't watch it anymore
the episodes after put me to sleep

Damn, that sounds nice.

Yu Gi Oh was pretty much Kaiji with a teenage boy at first
Then it got turned into card games

The whole cell arc in DBZ was birthed due to editorial dissatisfaction

To be fair, only Cell's second and final form were made out of actual editor dissatisfaction. Android 16, 17, 18 and Cell were all made because Torishima, who was Toriyama's editor for Dr. Slump and the first half of Dragon Ball, said that 19 and 20 looked too silly.

Togashi had actual story telling he wanted to do, Kubo's motivation though was just to draw cool shit.

stupid sexy kurama
really like his dub voice also

Those 3 volumes to me are the real YYH

man teiai's cronies need to step up their hair game

So did Yu Yu copy Diamond is Unbreakable or did it copy Yu Yu?

Which came out first?

ill agree with this op its the same for me with bleach i enjoyed the hell out of the opening arc when they were solving ghost and hollow mysteries then it all went downhill from there.

Although Yu Yu hakusho never reached bleach levels of bs... the random demon yusuke was a bit much though no build up just happened

Always remember that there is such a thing as giving too much freedom.

They started around the same time but they aren't all that similar outside the setting. Togashi says Araki is one of his absolute favourite mangaka of all time and a source of inspiration to him, but he doesn't really do anything similar to Araki outside their writing styles being kind of similar and Nen and Stands working pretty similarly.

Please, Josuke and Yusuke and Okuyasu and Kuwabara and essentially the same characters and at least for the start they are both supernatural invesgiations in a small japanese town

Kek the Duelist Kingdom arc came about a year later though.

Kaz probably read Kaiji at some point.

I don't feel like looking for it, but Togashi actually mentions in an interview that the editors wanted him to change it to a battle shounen.

With the chinese gender unbalance chinese anime merchandise will make a killing buck.

When will the whole series be properly encoded? Every torrent out for it is shit at the moment.

Is the Yu-gi-oh manga worth reading?

>best tournament arc
Try reaing Sakigake!! Otokojuku

Hatsu is literally a Stand

It's better than the anime, the early artwork is atrocious and a lot of the earlier chapters are self-contained until Mokuba shows up but if you can stick with it it's a decent read. Especially if you already liked the anime.

Not him but I read it and I don't think any of the tournaments in that series even get close to YYH.
And I don't even think that the Dark Tournament is the best tournament. It's just better than every arc in Sakigake.

I assume the manga adaptations of all the sequel series are sub-par?

>that meticulously drawn turkey
Every time.

I want that Turkey

I haven't read any of the sequels. I hear the GX manga is kind of okay though.

Pretty much

And then complained that 17 and 18 were just kids and also not good villains.

Either way, the changes made to the Androids weren't made because Toriyama was forced to, but rather out of the wisdom of someone he trusted. Torishima was actually the reason Arale existed.

17 and 18 were some of the best villains. Not to say that cell wasnt better, but they were up there.

The one thing that's disappointing to me in the transition from 19 and 20 to the later villains of the arc is loss of the energy absorption gimmick. It seemed like it was made specifically to cut down on the amount of energy blasts that had started to take over in the Freeza arc.