How do we fix the shitty magic battle school trope

How do we fix the shitty magic battle school trope

Stop cloning Ayato and Houki and try imitate IS' success like the series in your pic did.

Replace all episodes with just the ED of S1 playing.

Asterisk could be easily fixed by making Claudia the main character.

Is Phantom World a magic battle school?

The genre's probably on it's way out already anyway.

Stop trying to copy IS. No one knows how it managed to do that well, but it's clearly not happening again. Try to have an adaption/story that is more than character introduction volumes and filler villains. More importantly, have a story that feels complete. Less stock characters/situations. We don't need a fucking duel between prideful main girl and MC every first episode.

The problem isn't the setting in my opinion though, it's more the LN format in general.

No, it's just a comedy.

This.

I'M STILL MAD

Please don't lump Rakudai with Asterisk and Antimagic Academy. Rakudai was actually decent.

Rakudai was shit too. Just because the slutty main girl and MC actually had some development does not mean it wasn't another paint-by-number battle harem. Rakudai's only gimmick was being 1% more original than the rabble

Remove male self insert mc.

Rakudai did it just fine, single main heroine with implied harem

Also the underdog theme really pull me in, they need to stop pulling BS from their ass tho

Rakudai was a solid 6/10 where the other two are like fucking 2s at best.

For that alone it deserves recognition

What BS, Ikki never felt like he was that BS, he was just stupidly analytical and had the ability to basically fuck with his own brain to make himself better

Yes, and a shit one

best looking one though cause kyoani

Nothing to fix. There's only two or three more that could possibly get animated, then that's it.

Stop being the same thing over and over.

>fix
Fix what? Battle harems serve their purpose to their intended audience and sell well.

I don't understand why some of you faggots can't understand that the consumers dictate the anime market. That's why fujoshit, idolshit, and haremshit are always made every season because their fanbases are the biggest spenders.

If you don't spend money on anime BDs/merch then you have absolutely no fucking say in what deserves to be produced.

No more "main" girls. I can't be the only one who's sick of that nonsense.

His final fight on tournament id pretty BS, it's cool and all but it's fairly BS how he OHKO strongest student on school

I actually was not bothered by that because he basically half-killed himself doing it, Tohka was basically doing the same damn thing and it was THEMATICALLY APPROPRIATE.

I love how basically the best thing about that anime was the Season 1 ending song.

Ange Vierge is still a shit

>with implied harem
What implied harem?

Both Rakudai and Asteriks were two of the most generic magic school battlers ever created. You can literally mix and match characters from the two of them and no one would notice.

A lot of the problem is trying to sell the female leads over drawing your audience's interest into the world so the reader doesn't feel fulfilled from generic waifubait. The LN format doesn't really have the ability to expound on the worlds the authors create. It's sad, but you can't create merch from world building - a recent example would be ReZero merching the shit out of Rem when waifufags were taken by her, meanwhile the world is interesting as fuck in the story - and BDs with waifu extras sell themselves. Needing money can never be fixed.

i'm guessing that person is implying that somehow Tohka and Ayase are in Ikki's 'Harem' but neither of them ever show any real attraction to him, only Stella and Shizuku do and lets be real Shizuku isn't getting shit because even though she's his actual little sister and wants his dick harder than anything in the world, Ikki and Stella are OTP and he isn't into incest.

Ange Vierge was awesome
Fixed for the great justice
you lost

I admit I enjoyed Sky Wizard Academy

Fuck off, m/u/gino. You can't even fix your face.

insert thriller/psychological/tragedy genre. atleast it will be slightly more memorable this way.

Battle Harem is dead, Isekai is the new hotness.

Hey buddy, how was Hibike?

Lecty a cute and the only one that wasn't a slut

The problem is that most of them lean too hard on a few things

1. Overpowered MC. The MC is always an overpowered badass who never really struggles, if they do struggle its self inflicted. Case in point Ikki from Rakudai, even if he's the best of a bad lot of shitty MCs, he's still an overpowered super badass who can win any fight cause.. He's the best

Needs more characters that are outclassed but use brains and smarts to outplay opponents and win fights that way

2nd is that tournament arcs are ok but they all revolve around a tournament and thats just lazy and boring. Give me something else pls.

Is there a new battle harem show next season? Is yes I will look forward to it

and Blondie's ass

Me too.

>give me something else
Like what? Tournament arcs are the easiest way to continuously set up fights.

All it needs is a good MC and a harem of predominantly best girls.

Mx0 had some of the solutions to your points. But it got canceled.

By making it Isekai as well.

Yes, Tournament arcs are EASY and its a poor and lazy excuse

By going back to good old urban fantasy, give them more room to do different things.
Make the main girl actually relevant, and have a good relationship between her and the MC.
Make the MC competent and experienced from the beginning and never give him any power ups.
Never expand the harem.

Honestly? I think its too late for them. Magic battle school genre is dying.

It's magic and school but not battle.

we can save it user

we can save it

Define urban fantasy

Because I think a 'battle school' that has a more durarara feel would be the fucking shit.

Is there any BD release of Sky Wizard Academy?

Hijack the school battle and proceed to murder everyone in the field like Haunted in Antimagic did.

All those fights against Phantoms don't count as battle?

Urban fantasy is just fantasy set in a modern urban setting. Think: Index, Drrr, StB l, Zashiki Warashi, Blood Sign, ect. The key distinction between that and academy harem is urban fantasy doesn't focus on the school. With that limitation gone you can focus more on the world and characters.
I also forgot one key thing in my list earlier: make main girl best girl.

More ambitious plot than tournament or unknown CGI aliens wiping out humanity.
More focus on worldbuilding, setting and magic system.
Avoid lazy exposition like infodump lectures or unnatural dialogues.
Instead of single male lead have idiot bro duo, this shit always does wonders.
Keep the number of girls low enough to give all of them a proper role and development.
No blatantly overpowered MC. It doesn't mean he has to be weak and useless, just let him improve and earn his victories.
If MC is supposed to be a super special snowflake, then have a really good reason and explanation for that.
No "MC is the lowest rank because his awesome powers are too cool to be measured" crap.
Don't make MC a dense, oblivious, asexual faggot.
Give MC some strong, memorable character traits, complex personality, interesting backstory and actual goals. "Protecting everyone" or "being the strongest" do not count.
Have MC drive the plot, initiate events, execute his own plans.
If there is some kind of enemy in the story, make the villain memorable and entertaining, no "monster of the week" crap.
If there's a romantic subplot, execute it properly. Which means romance being two-sided and having a conclusion.
Prepare for sales under 1k, since the audience expected a power fantasy with a bunch of cute girls flocking to a nice guy self-insert.

Antimagic did urban fantasy decently when it abandoned the school setting.

You forgot to mention an important part of the idiot bro duo: they have to always be equals, none of this powerful MC and his bro rival who falls behind crap.

I wish bromantic foil was more of a thing instead of the "the only male friend who acts as comedy-relief and gets rejected by all the girls"

Lets drive down sales further

Female MC

Unfortunately it's a bit of a niche thing in this market. Having two guys be main characters and each having their own romance is surprisingly rare though.

Yeah I wasn't precise enough, obviously I had something like HO or Baka to Test in mind, not a glorious MC + butt monkey sidekick.

>Blood Sign
>Made by Index author
Is this actually good? Index went to shit with power levels.

>Prepare for sales under 1k, since the audience expected a power fantasy with a bunch of cute girls flocking to a nice guy self-insert.

URRRRGGHHHH

Also, "Don't keep adding new characters and giving them all mysterious motives for the sake of dragging people along for an unsatisfying conclusion 5 seasons later, if ever".

Seriously, fuck RWBY.

Is it wrong that I liked Rakudai so much more than 90% of the LN trash that comes out recently? It has an actual relationship that develops, an interesting character study, original themes, and overall art direction and music that hypes you up for fights. Not to mention that the powers and abilities for the characters aren't the real focus and instead the fights are symbolic for clashes of will/identity (which SURPRISE is a huge theme of the show) instead of who has the higher power level. It was honestly one of my favorite shows of the year and it's so sad that it doesn't get recognition just because it is lumped together with trash like Asterisk.

Honest question: Why are you falseflagging?

While I will say that magical battle high schools are fun, here are some ways to fix them:

>have a singular focus on an aspect of the school, and not just have them be an amalgamation of concepts. if you want the school to be a training ground, have the students train. if you want it to be a military-esque facility with squads and stuff, do that. you can't have both
>ditch the harem idea or at least have an omnibus format
>explain powers and abilities in a meaningful way that doesn't end up being power level bullshit. good worldbuilding is the name of the game
>explain how and why this school exists and if there are others like it
>and finally, for the love of god, make characters that are put in battle situations actually make their own decisions instead of having people do it for them.

Is Macross Frontier the first/last mecha battle harem school before the shitty "power armor" trope IS started?

But I'm not

I can't trust you. It's been a full year since Asterisk/Antimage/Rakudai came out, and not a single inch has budged for people trying to antagonize and bait each other for calling one of them good while declaring the other two as shit.

Personally, I hold nothing against Anti-mage and I just didn't like Asterisk. I don't hate the other side, I just think that Rakudai isn't given the appreciation it deserves just because it aired alongside Antimage and Asterisk. That being said, I'm not a huge Stellafag so I try not to get too involved in the shitposting that Stellafags/Juliusfags start.

Yurius.

And if this really started because people wanted to declare one show's waifu superior to the other, then this isn't a conflict worth your investment. It's probably best to just plant your feet on the sand, say which one you prefer, and just ditch the thread immediately.

Yes, though the first half of the first volume is a slog with the massive info dumping for the summoning ceremony and the White Queen carries the rest of the volume. It improves quite a bit after that though. The primary conflict is the relationship between Kyousuke and the White Queen, and I like it quite a bit. The Queen is great as both the main heroine and the primary antagonist.

Index is by far Kamachi's most inconsistent work, all of his others benefitted from his experience after writing Index. That said most of have weak first one or two volumes before they really pick up.

make it isekai

>Falseflagging

BOTH WAIFUS A SHIT

A honestly like Rakudai more than the other two myself but thats because Ikki actually has a neat powerset and limitations and that can be enough for me

Rakudai and Asterisk are equally both shit. But Julis > Stella is a fact.

Badly written isekai/reincarnation stories are the new thing now, though people are already getting tired of that shit and rightly so.

I wonder what will be the next new thing?

The term is battle harem academy, and good and bad exists in the genre.

Anti-Magic > Strike the Blood > DAL > T7 > DxD > World Break > Shinmai Maou > Color Wars > Blade Dance > Dragonar > Hagure > Absolute Duo > Asterisk > Rakudai > Fafnir > Kuusen Madoushi > Hundred > HxH > IS

This is objectively correct

No, the term is magical high school battle harem. And not even half of those take place in magical high schools. Also
>putting Rakudai below Asterisk

Good list.

Butt hurt rakudaifag

>Shinmai above Absolute Duo
Fuck off samefag

You are such a Rakudai fanboy. You cry falseflagging, but don't consider that you could be falseflagging too for implying the opposite.

>implying I'm a rakudaifag

I'm not the same user as . Sorry to disappoint you.

Thanks. I tried.

But that's wrong. Some of those series aren't magical, ergo magic is not a requirement. Also deal with it.

How many of these do I have to watch before I'm fully a degenerate?

> Some of those series aren't magical
Exactly why it's shit. While no one will argue shit like Hundred, Fafnir, or World Break are magical high school battle harems, when you try to argue that shit like DAL, IS, and Shinmai are magical high schools, then you are just objectively wrong. None of them take place at a school where the school is filled with magical students (ie students that can use magic). DAL in particular doesn't fulfill this requirement. And if you are saying that many magical high school shows aren't even magical, then you would be wrong too. 90% of the series you listed have magical elements. You need have both magic and be in a high school for magical people to be considered a magical high school show.

At least 20.

I'm a crazed battle haremfag, so I could keep watching and not get tired at all. The way to enjoy them is to get get overly critical and be autistic at negative flaws, but enjoy whatever cool, interesting, and cute things you can get out of them.

I feel like you just described most shounens though.

>Avoid lazy exposition like infodump lectures or unnatural dialogues.
Well, sure. Of course these would be better if the writers weren't trash.

Magical high school battle harems are just a more degenerate form of battle shounens though.

You half-agree, so what's your point? I'm not following here.

About DAL, DAL Is magic or something close to it. It's also unconventional, but is still follows most tropes of a battle harem aside from the whole academy deal. But, there's school life elements, so it didn't forgo it.

>to get get
to NOT get*
Er, I meant.

>DxD
>that high on the list

What the fuck.

She saved the show.

No, you are misunderstanding me. You cannot claim that some of the shows you listed are magical high school shows because they do not focus around a school whose purpose is training/teaching magical people AND have a harem in it. Without those two elements you cannot have a magical high school show. And about a third of the shows you listed did not have that requirement.

>Claudia ever having more than one, two at most fans
Okay, now you're getting obvious.

Nigga what? I am not . I was the one who stated battle harem academy. I never said anything about magical high school.

He's Stellafag. I'm surprised he hasn't been spamming and shitposting using Stella in here yet.