How many of you actually loved the experience of watching Evangelion and aren't just lying to fit in on Sup Forums?

How many of you actually loved the experience of watching Evangelion and aren't just lying to fit in on Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=uA3D1UtSSQo
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I nearly came in my pants as I was watching EoE

I watched it a while ago and didn't get it, thinking of watching it again since I like the designs and all. I don't really talk about it since most of the discussion is waifu arguing and memeing about it.

I unironically don't understand how people simply don't get the ending.
It's nothing too complicated unless you're a dumbfuck or just not paying attention. End of Evangelion basically spoonfeeds you the ending

My problem was I understood what was going on, I just thought it was all so bland and basic and boring.

I loved it. I still love Eva, I just realized it wasn't as amazing as I thought it was when I was younger and more depressed but still pretty good.

MARI BEST GRILL

It was my first anime to watch all the way through. Have rewatched it with various people almost once a year.

Always enjoy it.

Nothing else came close. It's beautiful in its destructiveness.

>I unironically don't understand how people simply don't get the ending.

Your average anime viewer (or Sup Forums poster) has rarely encountered anything more complex than the flavor of the month Sol,trainwreck, or ln adaption.
So anything with a hint of abstraction is most in them.

Is this thread bait or are you really this stupid?

Why would I lie to fit in with people who'd, more likely than not, tell me to kill myself?

Neither

I wouldn't say I loved the experience -- it was more an exercise in masochism for me, picking at emotional scars from my teens that I thought had been long healed.

20 years later, I still get pleasant dreams of being together with Asuka

The most beautiful story, both EoTV and EoE. A story of a person who grows up and accepts the life as it is. Shinji is the bravest anime character ever.

Well I watched it back in 2001 when I was still pretty young and just getting into anime other than ghibli so that might have had a bit to do with it

I feel like that's how a lot of people are. All the people that liked it either watched it as they were young or new to anime. I just watched it this year after completing many anime series before.

I watched it ironically for the memes. Now I am here to stay in every eva thread :^)

I wasn't either of those things.

I should have said "It seems like all the people -"

I assume you know that NGE is one of the most popular anime ever made and a cultural phenomenon that reshaped the industry. So how exactly does any of that make you think people are just pretending to like it?

>19 year old Asuka
muh dick

I like monsters and unusual/fantasy stuff so. I liked it the first time i watched it. Though i didnt enjoyed shinji's emo moments and asuka's attitude. But the evas. Specially shinji's unit going berserk was amazing. Always wanted to see he other evas do the same. Specially the black unit. It had a nice design. I also liked the angels and the fun moments like misato's taped car. Pen pen. Thermal expansion and so on

Would watch it again

>cultural phenomenon that reshaped the industry.

how so?

I felt like the show had a lot of "filler" to be honest.
Lots of episodes near the start of the show where they just fight angel after angel without any significant character or plot progression.

Other than that it was pretty good

I jacked off during the part where everyone turned into LCL in EOE.

Meguro has a way with the characters.

It was pretty much responsible for the late night otaku anime phenomemon, and it still gets used to this day in advertising campaigns.

what the fuck is this dyke doing
leave my Asuka alone you bitch

>cultural phenomenon
It became really popular and even reached into japanese mainstream.

>reshaped the industry.
Made late night anime a thing, showed that original shows could be very lucrative which meant increased funding which subsequently brought the industry out of the early 90s stagnation period, made anime merchandising a thing, inspired creators to make quality shows as it proved that animated shows could get widely appreciated for being great works of fiction.

Rebuild was fun. Shinji wasnt as much of a piece of shit then.

I watched it and up until End of Evangelion, it genuinely feels like I saw a completely different show from everyone else. It's not that deep and it uses a lot of SOL anime tropes, not even in a deconstructive kind of way.

I'd recommended it for all ages.

The show isn't really all that special early on ,but it kicks into high gear at episode 15-16 when the characters start losing it

There were originally supposed to be like 28 angels or some shit but they narrowed it down to 14 fights in the final product.

Every angel fight had significance in developing a character or relationship. I think part of why people don't like Rebuild as much is because it cuts out a lot of "filler" that was actually important and added nuanced layers to characters.

Things like Jet Alone, Matarael and the power outage, or Magma Diver might seem like filler on your first watching. In reality, those episodes were critical in fleshing out the cast and giving the series its unparalleled sense of depth.

Jet Alone is key in the development of Misato and Ritsuko. We see that Misato has distinctively different personalities depends on who she's presenting herself to and will go as far as sacrificing herself to take responsibility for the actions and mistakes of those under her command. We see that Ritsuko is a prideful bitch who puts her work as a scientist above the lives of others, which gives heavy insight into her relationship with her mother and the three aspects of the Magi.

Matarael showed us that the kids could work together when they needed to and Asuka would throw herself under the bus if it made her look good. We also saw a bit of Rei's disregard for her life. Working with others helped sparked her desire for individuality and a desire to live.

Magma Diver was what solidified Asuka as a tsundere who's got the hots for Shinji, not just a bitch. We also see that Shinji actually has balls when it comes to protecting people he cares about. Also lore development about the angels being scattered around the Earth hints at them being native rather than aliens who came from Antarctica, an interesting tidbit that can be easily glossed over.

No fight or episode was purely there for filler or entertainment, and that's part of why we're still discussing Eva over 20 years later.

Asuka is a dyke

Why would anyone want to fit in on Sup Forums and be afraid to tell what he really thinks? This isn't reddit.

Would you slap me if I pointed out the obvious right now?

I watched NGE when I was 12 and absolutely loved it.
I still consider it the best anime series I've ever seen. Few others come close to it.

I see people openly disliking NGE all the time, on Sup Forums or elsewhere. So I assume those who claim to like it are sincere.

I thinks there's more dishonesty in the posts saying NGE is shit or average (in order to troll the fans) than the other way around.

show is ok imo. nothing special

I agree that Eva stands in a class of its own. Its enduring popularity is unmatched by any other series. That's why discussion about it has basically remained the same on Sup Forums after all these years.

You're a toiletlover

Kill yourself

i watched it a year ago and i didn't pay attention for it the only thing i pay attention to is the doujins ! also rei has a better body than asuka's i didn't understand why would anyone think that asuka is has the better body design

I fell asleep during EoE, but the first 24 episodes were great

fuck Sup Forums i liked elfen lied and bleach . they were both really enjoyable and i don't give a fuck about what does Sup Forums think of them !

It's still my favorite anime of all time. It's a masterpiece. Fuck the meme-kids and their meme-dicks

>liking elfen lied unironically

Why are you still alive?

>ring

Basically character try to self actualize themselves through other and of course that creates problems, but they learn to deal with these problems.

Just appreciate the human instrumentality for what it is.

>trying to fit in on Sup Forums

Because I want a ton of other people to dictate what I think is good or not.

Evangelion amazingly managed to be both boring and surreal and I didn't like it. The MC was understandably a loser and I appreciated his growth and maturity, but I still didn't like him.

It's a self-help guide masquerading as a tribute to Freud masquerading as a character analysis masquerading as a mecha anime with cute girls in order to trick otaku into watching it.

If you're 18+ and still don't get it you either live a very insulated life, didn't pay attention, or are just plain dense. Either way, I wish I could be that oblivious because life would be much simpler.

characters try*
through others*

I was about to start watching it. What's wrong with it?

Ancient-as-fuck maymay, my man.

I only watched some episodes but never watched it, i like that running scene in the new ovas it got me nuts

I wouldn't say "loved", but it was certainly enjoyable and interesting.
The cybergoth design sense, angular art style, dark colour design, and Anno's creative and expressive direction make every single frame striking and memorable. Pic related contains some of my faves just from ep 18.
The contrast of the Saturday morning, super robo, monster-of-the-week formula with the dreary, depressing tone makes the whole show have a really unique atmosphere that I've never seen anything else have.
From the realistic way the characters are portrayed to convey the struggles of communication, you can tell they were created and directed by an autistic guy who struggles to communicate with others. Which is something I, and I'm sure many other reclusive anime fans, can relate to.
The way the show only hints at but never fully explores the lore behind its mechs and monsters captivates the imagination, and has lead to the ridiculous amount of expanded universe stuff we have now.
Seeing the influence it had is interesting too. Watching it now, 20 years later, you can see tons of archetypes and conventions that would later become staple to anime overall. Hell, the basic set up of having a tsundere/kuudere duo of girls that's been popular in literally everything these past 2 decades was popularised by Eva.

I just came here to find out what all the fuss was about. That was a decade ago.

>doesn't care
>shares anyway
bleach was shit

It's shit. Really shit.
It's famous for the gore and how ridiculous and stupid it is as a whole.

You probably won't like it unless you're a teenage edgy boy or you're ready to enjoy it for it's "so bad it's good" value.

*its

All the characters are either retarded, homicidal, or abusive.

nothing but start with the manga the anime is 6/10 but Sup Forums hates it because it's popular and the edgy teenagers think it's a great philosophical story. pretty entertainig 13 episodes

>So how exactly does any of that make you think people are just pretending to like it?
You said it yourself:
>cultural phenomenon
>popular
Some people like stuff because of the popularity and legacy it left behind.

I did.

I love it. All the characters are realistic and I like it's philosophy.

But it has to have had something appealing to it in the first place to become a cultural phenomenon.

the first time I saw it it was the rebuild and I was blown away by the animation. I was warned beforehand that not a lot of it would make sense, and it still doesn't, but I love science fiction and I had a great time watching it. It also helps that Asuka is best girl

I actually often ask myself the opposite question. Are there people who actually dislike Evangelion or are they just trying to be original and anti-conformist. I mean when I watched it seemed like the most amazing thing ever. I also recommended it to many people and literally all of them loved it. I just think people who claim they dislike it are being dishonest. But the problem is this is the internet so I can't really read how much honesty there is behind what people say. But always when someone explains why they didn't like it, it seems not genuine and forced.

because we're talking about Sup Forums. which is mostly underage kids with still-developing brains that can't yet appreciate anything outside of mainstream story conventions. anything that tries to stir up thought, discussion or reflection is seen as "too deep" or boring. the other half of Sup Forums who are adult aged, have immature and autistic brains that don't like anything challenging their simple child-like views and tastes.

The irony like you said, if anything, Eva probably explains too much. scenes that have the potential of being pure kino, like when Shinji is having those self-reflective moments in that dream train could have been all shown through images. but we literally have Shinji narrating his feelings in the most contrite and boring way possible.

Eva has so many layers and so much to offer that anyone who enjoys anime should be able to find something to take away from it.

It's just that many people make identities for themselves based on being contrarian. It sucks for them, because I wouldn't imagine forcing myself to hate something just because it's popular. You'd miss out on a lot of good content by thinking that way.

average Sup Forums shitter response to Eva

youtube.com/watch?v=uA3D1UtSSQo

I loved the experience of watching it. what i hate is the end

Eva wasn't supposed to be particularly intellectually challenging or aimed at mature viewers in search of new cinematographical adventures.
It was aimed at otaku, but crafted in such a way as to appeal to a broad audience. It had to be emotionnally stimulating and memorable, while at the same time staying understandable by about anyone. I think it did its job really well.

I don't like that meme but I'm forced to say that you're tipping you Fedora really hard.

Nah, I love Eva. Genuinely love Eva and its psuedo mythological and philosophical themes.

>OP starts out by asking if much of the professed love for Eva is more show than substance
>Thread ends up with everyone talking about how super deep and multilayered every single thing about Eva is and how only plebs don't love it

I'm sorry, but I'm even more confused than when this thread began, which one is it?

Shows don't become popular unless people genuinely like them. It's common sense.

Eva helped me with my depression so it's personal

Yea that was my point... i was saying its ironic that its actually not THAT challenging. but shitters still get upset that its too "deep".

Shikinami is a dyke, not Soryu.

same. I actually ended up getting off my ass and going on a trip because of it.. To japan of course. totally worth it. I actually ended up visiting some Eva-related spots in Japan. went to one of the Eva shops and saw some white dude browsing. we both looked at each other and kinda gave each other a "i know dat feel" nod.

despite what people might argue in regards to the story, meanings, etc. at the end of the day Eva is a very personal message from Anno to the viewers. its one of those shows where a certain type of person watching it is liable to go like "omg this show like.. GETS ME". its also one of those that if you watch it at a certain low point in your life can have a profound almost religious effect on you. as it did me.

it actually made me want to try to live life... pretty powerful stuff for an ostensibly "kids show". i haven't seen anything Western even come close to attempting that kind of honesty when making a show for younger viewers.

My problem with evangelion is that its themes have been told better by plenty of literary works and movies. And when you get past the themes and just look at the story as it is told, it's rather silly.

same

It probably doesn't hurt that it was what got me into anime, but I really do love it. The threads for it are usually pretty terrible now though, since it's already been discussed to death, so I'm not sure why anyone would even bother lying about liking it to try and fit in.

Before the Rebuilds, you couldn't hold an Eva thread on Sup Forums, any more than you could a Naruto one.

Is the spinoffs mangas canon?

weebs don't watch regular movies or read

I honestly didn't enjoy eva. I had friends that did, and some still do, but i always thought it was trying too hard to be DEEP, but it's not at all.

Oh ok then. I think I somehow misunderstood your post.

Eva is The Catcher in the Rye for those who grew up on anime.

>plotfags

very apt analogy. both are stories that people have been discussing to death for so long where half the audience thinks the main character is a piece of shit and the other half completely empathizes with.

Episode 25 is crap and the Asuka arc is the lowest point of the show that is somehow hailed as the holy grail by those insane LASfags but aside from that it was nice.

I saw it for the first time in like 99. It gave me my waifu, spoke to me on a very personal level as a teen, and started me on my life long love of anime. So yeah I love it beyond measure.

>My problem with evangelion is that its themes have been told better by plenty of literary works and movies
Welcome to "a vast majority of media".

>And when you get past the themes
You're probably not doing this on purpose, but I'm fairly certain ignoring the most critical part of something for the sake of an argument is a fallacy.

>just look at the story as it is told, it's rather silly.
Also true, but I personally love my surrealism.

> How many of you

Survey thread. Go fuck you'r selv.

I wasn't around for that time. Crazy if that's true considering half the threads created nowadays are Eva related.

>56 posters

I love being chronically depressed for a week after watching it everytime