Grammatical question for native English speakers

The other thread died before I could answer:

I've got a question for you:
How would you say the following as a native English speaker?
>The sun is high in the sky. I enjoy its/his/her warmth.
"Sun" doesn't have a genus in english but possessive pronouns have. Which would you choose?
Do me a favour and answer the same for cat, night, day, tooth, ear, nose, hand, eye.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grammatical_gender
viabestbuy.com/sale/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Those extras in the end wouldn't make sense in the sentence template you green text.
English does not have male/female versions of words. The only gendered words are man/woman or his/hers.

is the sun relative to a person or a thing?

I know you don't have a genus on your nouns but what sounds natural to you?
I've heard English speakers use these pronouns on all kind of English words.
>The dog and his fur are wet.

How else would you say my template sentence?
>I enjoy the sun's warmth?
You always have to use the substantive?

>is the sun relative to a person or a thing?
No.
Would it make a difference?

its is what generally sounds natural. "her" could as work for the sun if you wanted to sound poetic. (her can be used with things viewed with affection, primarily in the case of boats) For animals, its is the general term, however use the his/her if you know its actual gender.

if you use the sun to describe a person i could see using his/her
if just describing the sun
it

We'd use "its" on all of them except the animals - and then only if we knew the gender of the animal we were talking about. Not always even if we know, either.

BTW, Estonia called and they want their pic back.

why isnt she moving?

i do miss those days

It's

Most things that are not cars/boats/planes are it. Things like boats, cars, planes are common to refer to as her.

Animals are usually referred to by their gender. Boy = he/his, girl = she/hers. Don't know = it/it's

"Did you know the sun is a star?"
"Of course it is."

The sun is warm.

There is no das, die, and der in english. The sun is IT. For cat, it would depend on male or female. Her cat or His cat. Same is true for body parts.

xer

only true answer. The sun is a nonbinary gender fluid star-kin.

This is correct. The only time gendered pronouns are used is when the subject has an actual gender, or when the speaker deliberately assigns a gender. (Ex: check out my new car, ain't she a beauty?)

"The sun is high in the sky, I enjoy it's warmth" makes sense. You could also say "I enjoy the warmth".

The sun is high in the sky. I enjoy its warmth.

Cat = his/her, depending on if I know. Otherwise, "it."

Night = its

Day = its

Tooth = its

Ear = its

Nose = its

Eye = its

The sun has got his hat on. hip, hip, hip hooray...

stupid kraut

>>The sun is high in the sky. I enjoy its warmth.
The sun is an object. Also, remember that "its" has no apostrophe when it is possessive, since "it is" can be shortened, and we wouldn't want the confusion.

In general, inanimate objects take the non-gendered status, i.e. they are referred to as "it". Very rarely does gender come in when referring ot nouns. The only exceptions i can think of that wouldn't sound completely autistic are a country and a ship, but even then it sounds archaic.

In modern English, drop the gender unless you really know what you are doing.

>His car isn't his baby girl
Pubmetro soyboy detected.

>if just describing the sun
>it
No, I want to specifically know about possessive pronouns i.e. some sentence where you refer to the sun by its/his/her.

>"her" could as work for the sun if you wanted to sound poetic.
Ok, thanks. What about the other words?
>cat, night, day, tooth, ear, nose, hand, eye

I don't have an animated version.

Hmm, ok.
I thought there might have been some subconscious survival of the Germanic genus in the English language through possessive pronouns.

It's for everything, unless you are trying to personify something, in which case it's typically her, unless specifically him. Cat doesn't really belong in your example, since it's different than the others. Personally, I call cats her, since my mental image of a cat is female.

Anyway, onto your example.

The Sun
>I enjoy its warmth.
Simple comment of appreciation
>I enjoy her warmth.
Complex comment of appreciation, ascribes far more merit to the sun. A bit of a strange use, typically used for items you have personal attraction to, for example: a car.
>I enjoy his warmth.
A bit more unique, makes the listener think that you are referring to Apollo or something. However, still a perfectly acceptable replacement for its, but the connotations is not as positive as using a female pronoun, although it can display different aspects.

So basically, use its to describe something, a gender if you what an emphasize some aspect, poetically.

Someone tell me how retarded I just went, I'm putting a bottle of whiskey and an in progress bachelors of English to all of my 2 am use possible

What do you use for other genders? Or for those questioning? We need more pronouns, like "hir" and "hes" or something similar.

I agree mostly, but it's important to emphasize just how autistic it is to genderize objects like the Sun. It's ONLY acceptable from a literary standpoint, and even though you'll have most pople going "woah nigga what the fuck are you doing"

There's only 3 reasons I can think of where you would use a gendered pronoun in English for something other than a person.

1. Referring to an animal.
"This is my cat, she's really young."
"My dog loves to chase his ball."

2. Referring to a boat or country (maybe a car but that's more uncommon unless you're super into cars). It's really common to give ships a female name and refer to them with feminine pronouns.
"Is that your boat?"
"Yeah. Her name is Mary Ann. She may be old but she's still kickin'."

Lyrics from God Bless America:
"God bless America
Land that I love
Stand beside her
And guide her
Through the night with the light from above"

3. To sound poetic in some way but I can't think of any examples outside of when talking about a gun/boat/car or something that you would care about a whole lot.

Outside of talking about animals, gendered pronouns for things other than people is pretty uncommon.

>my mental image of a cat is female
I'm exactly interested in the mental image of objects you might have and if they coincide with the German genus.

>>I enjoy her warmth.
>Complex comment of appreciation, ascribes far more merit to the sun. A bit of a strange use
There is no mental image you've got of the sun or the moon?
Because in Germanic languages it's exactly the other way round than in Romanic languages. Moon is maskuline here and Sun feminine. In French it's the other way round.

There's a mental image people have for cats and dogs because of how important they are to our culture. Cats vs Dogs has been a common theme since forever.

Cats are smaller and more reserved so they're seen as more feminine where dogs are more loud and brutish so they're seen as more masculine.
A male cat is still he. A female dog is still she.

There's basically no genus for things like the moon or sun. It's only for very specific things.

Of course things like skirts are seen as very feminine in nature. But then again that's Der Rock in German, which is masculine.

If people are unsure of what gender a cat or a dog is they'll likely assume female for cats and male for dogs, but I can't really say that that would be common for anything else.

>It's really common to give ships a female name and refer to them with feminine pronouns.
We do that too. Same for motorbikes.
We don't do it for countries though. I'm always puzzled when someone refers to Germany and "her" government or something.

>There's only 3 reasons I can think of where you would use a gendered pronoun in English for something other than a person.
I'm not asking about how to form correct English grammar. I know that. I'm trying to find out if you've got a subconscious idea of what genus a noun is.

>Things like boats, cars, planes are common to refer to as her.
only if youre a faggot that has an emotional attachment to a machine.

Did you just assume America's gender?

>genus
what do you even mean by this? ive never seen that word used for anything outside of taxonomic classification and that makes no sense here.

If you ask any normie on the street who has never studied a gendered language like French or German the concept would probably be foreign (huehue) to them.

They'd probably follow you if you talked about cats/dogs but if you brought up Windows being neutral vs Doors being feminine and chairs being masculine they'd probably have no clue what you mean. They're just Objects. Nothing more.

I've studied German on/off for a few years. I'm not fluent by any means but I think it's fun to speak. Cool language. Always wanted to visit but maybe not anymore until the whole migrant thing settles down.

the subconscious genus for all inanimate things is "it". Try and really put yourself into the Anglo mindset. Your King has conquered the Earth and all it's material is at your disposal. Men are he, women are she, and the rest of reality is yours to shape and conjure and configure and destroy with all your might and convenience. Germans and Englishmen are both the epitome of whiteness, but different beyond compare. The mindsets can never be reconciled nor understood. It's best for you to accept your role as a G*rman, and learn English as such. You'll never truly be able to apprecicte the beauty of a disgusting rejecting world of submissive ugliness

Never owned a vehicle worth being proud of, huh user?

We only use his or her for things with sexes
Animals, of which people are included.
You may have come across someone calling their car a her, but that's not proper, that's a term of endearment akin to how some people call their pets "babies"

I think he's getting genus and gender mixed

He means grammatical gender.

Words just don't have any gender connotation in english, pretty much all of that has been lost/dropped. Learning a gendered language can take a little to get used to...

The only remnant might be that dogs tend to be "he" and cats tend to be "she" just by neutral. Of course, this is very anecdotal and not indicative of gender, just an example I can think of where people might use "he" with "dog" even if the dog is a girl. Like, if someone got really pissy with me over calling their dog a "he" by saying that "she's actually a girl," I'd just laugh and say "okay whatever, just let him out"

ah, blond/blonde and brunet/brunette, though its now a bit archaic to call a brown-haired man a brunet in english.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grammatical_gender
We use the Latin word for it in German. I didn't know it does not translate.

>Always wanted to visit but maybe not anymore until the whole migrant thing settles down.
It's not THAT bad. Sure there are more sandniggers now in the cities but there are still lots of nice places. Even Berlin is almost 90% white.

The cat is high in the sky. I enjoy its warmth.

If I was in a casual conversation it would be something like; The sun's high, it's nice being warm for once.

The night is dark and no ones around. I enjoy it too much. I think that might be an example to the question you're looking for. I got a lot of learning material on German, French and Spanish like Merriam-Webster, Lonely Planet books or the internet. I think German grammar is hard because some words that would be in English are in different places within the sentence. Germans pretty similar to English though with a few borrowed words from Latin as well. English is like a mixtures of Germanic, Latin and French.

It's hard to explain the pitches and volumes I would use for the sentence but they make a lot of difference in casual English.

Almost every noun in English does not have a gender. Therefore, the sentence would be:

The sun is high in the sky. I enjoy its warmth.

>not having different words for male and female cats/dogs
Why though?

I think we lost it after we merged our Language with more words or altered it or something. We never say stuff like Femdog or Mandog.

We do. I'm just saying by default, you call a dog "he" if you don't know its gender. Okay, or "it." But in the US, people don't like calling pets "it."

Oh, you mean entirely different words.... No, we don't have that. A cat is a cat is a cat.

People in the US say they have a "boydog" if they're trying to be cute.

You do have words like cow/bull, deer/doe, etc. Not for cats and dogs for some reason.

Yeah like Hen, Rooster.

Well, like "boydog" exists for male dogs, if you're trying to be cute, you say you have a "tomcat" if your cat is male.

>cur/bitch
>tomcat/cat

I see what you did there.

I haven't seen that one Estonian poster in a while, wonder what he's up to.

Oh yeah, a female dog is a "bitch" but people don't say that anymore because it became an insult. That explains that one, heh

Since all of these idiots down below are retarded, let me explain.

The sun is a thing. You would say 'it'. If we had genders in English, you would say whatever gender the sun is.

The ONLY time you would use 'he' (we all know the sun is BASED af and ergo cannot be a hole) is if you are assigning a personhood to the sun. For instance, in your example, you would say "it feels warm" or "i can feel its warmth", but if I were to create a poem of some sort or personify (google Personification in German) the sun as a male, I would change it. How would I do this?:
"The sun feels warm today, he's an awfully picky fellow as one day it's 80*F and sunny and the next it's 50 and cloudy."

See there? I transformed the sun from an object and into a man. I personified the 'it' into a 'he'

Next example: "The moon's light is cold steel that embraces me at night in her arms while the whole world sleeps. In the morning, His glory shines through and reveals Christmas morning cheer"

Now there I did two things: I personified the moon as a woman and BECAUSE I established that poetic device earlier on, it makes sense if I then go on and gender the sun as a He (or personify it [Sun is now it because I'm talking about the object] as God).

Hmm, the translator says that cur is synonymous with mutt or mongrel. Doesn't seem to mean a male dog. So I guess dog by default is male, and a female dog is bitch. Likewise, cat by default is female, and tomcat is male. But I don't see those used very often. Thanks for being informative, Sup Forums.

Forget asking those native speakers they don’t know their language. Just look at all those spelling mistakes. Also none seem to be having a clue about the fact that in poetic use the sun is referred to as male. Stupid burger education.

>The sun, whose rays are all ablaze with ever-living glory, does not deny his majesty--he scorns to tell a story!

Also, while we’re at it, the moon is female of course

> that placid dame, the moon's celestial highness; There's not a trace upon her face of diffidence or shyness:

Male dog is "dog", female is "bitch"
Male cat is "tomcat" (if not altered) and female is "queen" (also if not altered)

All in all, objects like the sun, a table, even a fish are referenced as 'it'. Him/her and other pronouns are specifically in reference to people

Now your other examples but this is where it gets weird: you can only personify biological things ("come here, boy!" To a dog, "oh my little princess" to a cat) OR important things like the sun or moon or a boat/ship. Items such as tables and rugs just don't make sense to gender like that UNLESS they become important. An example of that is looking at a chunk of obsidian rock and going "meh" vs finding obsidian arrowheads that make a groundbreaking discovery and so that very same obsidian from before now turns into something important or special

Easy.

>sun
it
>cat
she
>night
she
>day
he
>tooth
he
>ear
it
>nose
he
>hand
she
>eye
he

>Moon is masculine and Sun feminine
Ha, faggots. The sun is obviously male.

The sun gave birth to our solar system and is thus, a female.

Would just
>It's a nice warm day today
work? I don't think we'd really say it how you put in the OP

Are you implying males can't give birth to things?

>implying Chad Sun didn't impregnate our bitch Galaxy
Bluepills for cheap here
viabestbuy.com/sale/

unless we're talking about a fat shit

You?

Such implications would be transphobic, wouldn't they

Yeah... we tend not to abruptly separate statements into multiple sentences in conversation if we can avoid it. Using poetic/archaic gendered language to describe the sun is also 9 times out of 10 going to come across as autism.

>I'm enjoying the sun's warmth today.

but even then, I'd sooner word it:
>The sun feels so nice today.

>Forget asking those native speakers they don’t know their language
Well fucking entschuldigung for not knowing the sun's gender.
What the fuck does KrautOP need this for anyway? Is it so hard to understand that english doesn't give gender to every noun like the continentals?

Post the original fucking gif or dont post at all

I have no idea what this thread is I just want you to know this OP image upsets me because it reminds me of etsi posting which is gone.

>Yeah... we tend not to abruptly separate statements into multiple sentences in conversation if we can avoid it.
Believe me. Sun. We're going to make warmth. A lot of warmth. A lot of warmth, and we're going to enjoy it. All of the sun's warmth. Winning again.

Even saying "the sun feels" kind of sounds strange. I don't think I'd really mention the sun at all

>The dog and his fur are wet.
that because frequently English speaking countries see pets as people

But it didn't. The sun is the center of the system around which everything else revolves - clearly a masculine leadership position. And the planets and shit weren't born FROM the sun, they accreted on their own, overseen by the sun which was already there at that point - clearly a guiding father figure.

The moon on the other hand is obviously a submissive feminine figure - subject to the earth's pull and following it faithfully.

In 20 years all of America will be calling Mother Moon and Father Sun by their rightful genders because of your insight. Thank you Russia.

We are gonna be so warm. You may even get tired of warmth. And you'll say it's too much warmth. We can't take it anymore. And I'll say no. We have to get warmer.

I would... You'd say "this breeze feels nice," wouldn't you?

Yeah but a breeze is a bit more tangible than the sun. The sun is alot more than a bit of wind and you can't really "touch" it's warmth

Breeze is the thing that directly makes you feel nice. With sun, it's either warmth that makes you feel nice, or light. Saying that any of those two feel nice is natural, saying that sun feels nice is not very much so.

I dunno I think "feeling the sun's warmth" is a very natural statement and I've heard it many times even this past summer.

person, animal, or mode of transportation is his/hers

others is its

You're right. I'm an idiot. Fucking linguistics. The sun's warmth is what feels nice.

"feeling the sun's warmth" flows better, if it is a bit faggy. The difference is talking about the sun's warmth directly vs just the sun

ops version is better

I've also heard more than one guy describe their beard as a "she." I don't know why, but you just wouldn't use he to describe facial hair, but she is okay.

"She's getting long, huh?"

I wouldn't and it's kind of weird. But it's tough to think of many more examples in English.

>sun
it
>cat
he/she depending on the cat's chromosomes
>night
it
>day
it
>tooth
it
>ear
it
>nose
it
>hand
it
>eye
it

>better
The image quality alone makes me want to punch the screen

OP's fucked if they come to Appalachia or somewhere similar

for it we say 'hit' and or 'thang', alot of stuff I assume that confuses people that I can't think of probably.

He better off in the heartland where we can understand the most broken hillbilly english you can find.

I have a hard time understanding some of the more isolated places, I can't imagine a foreigner.

Boy dog = him
Girl dog = her

Unknown dog gender or don't care = him (unless you want to make a "bitch" joke, then her)

If true then why the fuck do i always see foreingers even in the middle of nowhere?
T. Atlantic IA