Trying to convince some people that increasing military spending is a good thing

Trump wants to increase military spending, which is kind of a good thing. But, a lot of my friends disagree, saying that cutting 10% could be used for other important things.

You need to stop hanging out with faggots, OP.

Join US military, protect Israel!

they should fucking cut welfare and make a more capitalistic country. Fucking commies

they should fucking cut welfare and make a more capitalistic country. Fucking commies!

It depends on what you mean by "a good thing."
Massive American military spending is fucking fantastic for us, your allies in the rest of the world, because we get to spend so little on our own.
It's terrible for you, since you don't actually get much out of it. Basically throwing money down a hole.

Japan is in the top 5? I wouldn't have guessed that

You can't prove the unprovable. In fact more military spending is good until you nuke other countries we don't want to exist. We don't do that. So whether military spending (more) is good is unprovable.

You don't need to increase spending, you need to increase efficiency. Your military is grossly inefficient monetarily, so if you could increase that efficiency you could invest massively in your armed forces without increasing spending.

Give an inch they'll take a mile.
10% today, 50% tomorrow.

Nigga you're retarded if you want more tax dollars feeding the military industrial complex

All you whiny leftist cunts, who get moist over the public handouts Euro-peons can dole out to their useless masses, never seem to realize that the reason why our military budget is so huge, and the Euro-peons are able to lavish all sorts of gibs on their uninvited guests, is because WE foot the bill for their military. Remember when Trump talked about how these cunts need to pay -their- fair share when it came to NATO? He wasn't lying or exaggerating.

Get off my lawn. Sage.

your country has national health insurance. we don't. 99% of the reason people enlist here is to get health coverage for them and their families. many try to enlist but have a precluding medical condition, anywhere from joint problem, asthma, mental health issues, to a surgery in their past keeps them from joining. should we and could we have a healthcare system like lithuania? anything is possible, but as you may have witnessed during the obama years, even if you have the executive branch and legislature favoring public healthcare, all your can turn out is a mutant retard version of it. so on and on goes the paradigm that causes many to enlist. this may shock you but very few people here have any illusions about what they are signing up for. for example, the zeitgeist documentary about theosophy and the truth about the federal reserve and 9/11 was widely available on the in-theater public drive called the s:// drive when i was stationed in iraq. people know the truth. we are just trying to get by in a world we can't control, same as you.

what I meant by a good thing, is increasing military spending could help us refinance the old equipment we have rn, and keep the benefit programs and shit that we give to the troops.

See

>Join US military
>kill some civilants
>shoot one of your own
>kill yourself because of muh PTSD
10/10

The militarisation of the U.S has resulted in the U.S. economy being primarily military just like North Korea. Both countries are more similar than they are willing to admit.

>be kielbasa
>become an alcoholic
>wake up covered in own vomit
>die of liver failure

The US Defense Budget is basically just a giant welfare program at this point. Your government throws billions of dollars at defense contracts so they keep their factories running to keep producing equipment that you really don't need, because if you ever stopped buying all those munitions your unemployment rate would quintuple overnight.
That said, don't ever reduce it. Holy shit, you have no idea how much a government can buy when it doesn't have to pay for its own defense. Europe knows what I'm talking about.

While that is a good point, how can we increase efficiency? How is our military grossly inefficient monetarily? If you're talking about the benefits being inefficient, then what incentive is their to fight other than "for country"? Because, realistically, the troops who come home, have to come back home and live a normal life, and without those benefits it would be extremely difficult.

SAVE THE NORTHERN LEOPARD FROG!

If billions of thaat money didn't suddenly disappear or have them spend $10 dollars for a bolt that cost cents then the budget might not be so bloated

10/10 too

This country has already squandered all of its wealth
Our multinational corporations aren't investing in this country anymore, even our infrastructure is failing
The military is literally the only thing that will keep the United States in control of the world for decades to come
So it depends. Do you want prosperity or control?

We all know (((who))) gets all that missing money.

Who in their right mind would think it's a good thing? All our spending is for military technology that gets outdated after a year of no use anyways. Trump's an idiot, just because he says something's good doesn't mean it is.

>"defense" spending

We could defend this country with a fraction of that and then some but you can't keep 1,000 overseas bases all across the world simultaneously and funnel money into the MIC so we'll continue with the status quo.

Those in favor of keeping our "defense" budget the same let alone fucking increasing it are the epitome of "useful idiots".

>Discretionary spending
Stop

What good is a military if you don't use it?
Go occupy China and take their resources and use them to pay for your military.

A large standing army had been a curse to every nation that has fielded one. We will be no different. The founding fathers hated standing armies for a reason.

This. American defense comes from its nuclear program, not the number of Tyrones and Jim-Bobs it can throw a uniform on.

Military spending has always and will likely always be the easiest way to boost our economy. Contracts for new rifles, new body armor, new gear, new vehicles. The people who build MRAPs are common welders and tradesmen who take their salaries and put it directly into the economy through spending and buying goods. Soldiers who are 18-25 who come back from a deployment with 40-80k in their pocket saved up that they spend on a) brand new cars b) brand new houses c) pop out a baby and splurge on baby shit, engagement rings, etc. People don't consider the side-effects of economic stimulus the military actually provides to the rest of the country as a whole, liberals just focus on
>REEE you're killing babies
or some other insane shit. Sure a lot of that money is spent on equipment, but it employs literally millions of people in the tech sector and elsewhere that aren't even soldiers, and I guarantee it's nealy a 50/50 split on spending on salaries/pay vs. equipment itself so those salaries turn around and get recycled right back into the economy as soon as a US soldier does a tour or two. Now multiple that by a million or more people actively employed by the DoD or contracted out to support them all doing the same thing and you can see the big picture on an economic scale and how it boosts our economy.
>inb4 kike this kike that working for the jew
ok keep flipping burgers or working at some sjw sweatshop getting underpaid for the content you provide and risking sexual harassment lawsuits at every turn or having to deal with pronouns every minute or every day. It's a give and take either way.

That's not true.
The Romans excelled because they were the only nation with a standing army.

Space program second to none also.

I love how people who want to talk about guns and the military can't even draw a gun. They literally have no fucking idea how to even logic a vaguely functional shape.

Isn't your massive military spending one of the biggest contributors to your national debt? I'd cut military spending and spend more on espionage. Digital warfare is THE go-to topic for modern warfare. Spending money on hard military assets is like being a doomsday prepper; it's useless as dogshit right now, but if the world ever suddenly goes to shit, it might prove handy (provided your own military doesn't fragment and turn on the government like it usually does in newly-minted 2nd and 3rd world countries).

>boost our economy
Guns vs butter, m8. The only boost is to the military industrial complex and those employed by the military. The cost of all that comes from every other industry, and every other person who isn't employed within the MIC.

You don't get something from nothing. This is the case for every single government spending program.

India is top 5 i don't know where the guy who made that image got his info

The military needs it's budget cut in half. Between the waste and corruption, they're only using half of their budget anyway.
We spend a billion dollars on a program that the Chinese hack and copy for a half the price, and the Russians come up with something to counter it for a million.

I was speaking on the topic of economic stimulus vs. taxpayer input. It actually does even out in the end if not result in a net gain for most any industry. That's of course not even bringing into the picture of national defense aspect of the whole organization and not letting whatever fuckwhit schizo world leader wants to take a shot at out people any given day. The MiC doesn't just employ soldiers, the careers it provides are far, far reaching outside of just being a soldier or an army engineer there is an entire sector of civilians with trades, degrees, etc. that are pooled to support it and those millions of people get paid salaries as well then everyone together turns around and spends on everything from basic necessities to luxury items they might want, stimulating and helping pretty much every industry across the board. Cars, houses, baby food industry, fine jewelry, tune ups on their cars, plumbers to fix their house, civilian electricians. You get the point I'm trying to make, it's not just some moneypit when the money gets almost immediately recycled back into the country's economy by millions of people buying and investing with the salaries they receive from the MiC.

At some point, their empire got too big, too cumbersome, and their armies turned inwards several times.

I don't think so, I think we just need to use our money more efficiently. ex: military needs accountability, military hospitals should be operated like a for profit instead of a non-profit. they should have to show improvements in patient care, waiting times and quality. They need to justifiy cost overruns.

DUHHH WE NEED TO SPEND MORE ON BOMBS SO WE CUT MY TAXES DUHHHHH

PUTIN IS A GREAT GUY

You're taking about a secondary economic stimulus. The money going to the military provides almost zero primary economic benefit. If we spent that money on building infrastructure and education, you get a primary and secondary economic stimulus.
But we both know you don't care about that, you like a strong military because you like be strong and fuck shit up. Just be honest about it.

> when the money gets almost immediately recycled back into the country's economy
The only result is a distortion of the natural demand in the market. We can discuss whether the resulting security benefit is worth diverting resources away from other consumer goods and services that would normally be produced, but we must acknowledge that we are not getting anything "more" in the economy when increasing military spending. There is no "boost", there is just a redirection of resources from one set of industries to another.

>99% of the reason people enlist here is to get health coverage for them and their families.
>t. Never Served

US relies on petrodollar and military is the means by which you keep the world hostage in paying for your ever increasing debt.
Your military is the only thing that keeps your country from complete breakdown, of course its the most important thing. Anyone saying otherwise is a blue pilled idiot.

Literally every time, they love to play the "muh discretionary spending" game. Gibs, and a ponzi scheme account for the vast majority of our budget. It's particularly terrifying that we pay only twice as much for our military, as we do for usury on our debts.

So, it’s to enforce corporate hegemony, or to die for Israel?

Tell them to convince the rest of the world to pull their own weight. US is getting backpains from carrying this trash team.

Separate the military spending from the massive WASTE of taxpayer dollars, because they're two separate issues and you are probably conflating them.

We could afford a much better military with the exact same budget, couldn't we? Make that idea the foundation of your argument.

The problem is that the military industrial complex spends money like a naked Comanche on Saturday night, and somehow most of it seems to bypass the military entirely and instead go into the pocket of somebody who's just going to get our boys killed in some goddamn clusterfuck where it's a defensive invasion of some shithole nobody goddamn cares about and they're not even allowed to shoot back.

That's the problem with military spending, nobody sane is trying to argue that we should arm our military with spitballs. We just don't need to spend $800 on a hammer, or $600 on a toilet seat, which is what they've been doing, just pumping up their budget every year so they can then justify a bigger budget next year, "look, see, we spent it all! Better give us more, look, we're running out of supplies, we're gonna die."

I think maybe military spending should be overseen by somebody of a much lower rank than general. Maybe we should entrust the financial oversight to the sergeants, ever think of that? Maybe the goddamn general is sitting in a chair 10,000 miles away and doesn't have any fucking idea what the men on the ground really need, he's just getting wined and dined by weapons contractors left and right and ordering all kinds of shit nobody fucking needs as if he was spending somebody else's money and there was always plenty more where that came from.

China: 2.2 million soldiers
North Korea: 1.2 million soldiers
Russia: 850k soldiers
Iran: half a million soldiers

US: 1.3 million soldiers

>enforce corporate hegemony, or to die for Israel?

With all due respect, you’re a fucking retard.

all that military is a giant welfare state making money for the military industrial complex

what the fuck is that gun though. it looks like a pump-action...m1 maybe? it's incredibly short too, or the magazine is super long.

at least they put a trigger on it.

This.

>t. american intellectual
spending not soldiers, mongrellus

the US military is only there to further corporate interests and keep the ruling class (capitalists) safe from harm + keeping the workers in check if they try anything funny

Each US soldier needs to kill potentially 6 soldiers of our enemies. How would you make us 6 times as lethal if not with expensive technology?

They need to genocide the people on welfare with the use of the military. (Mostly blacks)

I concur with this statement.

This is actually a really good argument, but allow me to retort, because the big problem is what Eisenhower (very belatedly) already outlined: When you build your whole economy up around war and going to war and being at war and making money off of war, you find yourself always going to goddamn war, and even when your own country doesn't get involved, you're still selling weapons of war to other countries, then look, suddenly they're at war, and then 30 years down the line, YOU do have to go get involved in their bullshit, because their war has gotten out of control with all that fancy new military equipment they got a massive injection of.

Building our own economy around war would be quite horrible enough, but we're simultaneously building the world economy around war too, and that's just pure fucking insanity. People who have never tasted war are the ones who see all the glory in that.

its a BAR

autismo bait, as if any modern warfare would play out like 500 years ago.
One EMP is sufficient to put your country back into the stone age, a few solders took over crimea and a few rice farmes BTFO the mongrellus in nam.

Spending 700 Billion in peace time haHa
How the US can be so great but so fucking stupid at the same time is a top kek.

>health
this would be halved if amerilards had good genes and kept fit.

>interest on debt
You know who to remove to get rid of that

>peace time

No, run away government spending to support foreign interests is not a good thing. It is bad.

I'm not saying that extreme unhealthiness is acceptable, nor am I loving the debt interest. The pie chart that he posted just rustles my jimmies, because I see it everywhere.
Also, I don't know why having a giant fuck-you military would be a bad thing if it wasn't used to fight (((wars))).

goes into R&D for lockheed martin, northrop grumman, General Electric, etc

lots of military inventions are used in everyday life these days.

So, the american nation is trillions in debt with countless home soil problems. Trump stated early on that he wants to invest in the homeland. Instead he greatly increased the military budget, while stating they need to pull out of places like syria.
For what purpose does the increased military budget serve when it's already a major portion of GDP.

Can anyone explain what the increase does for americans and american interests?
What war is going on which needs the increase in percentage GDP?
Wouldn't it be better to instead invest that into the country's economy, like trump campaigned on initially?

Canadian navy has 4 submarines, 12 boats and a aircraft carrier made of ice and operated/maintained by polar bears, bet you fags cant compete

Also muh liberal gubmints military budget cuts

Whose going to collect on that debt?

Being the sole world superpower by virtue of that military allows the USA to strongarm entire continents and build a world spanning trade empire. Your friend is an idiot who doesn't know how good he has it because he's never lived anything else. The American way of life is not guaranteed by anything other than force.

Moron, it's not a pump action, you're being confused by the bayonet's handle.

Obligatory

> American Education

No, I pay enough in federal tax already. Unless he wants to plunder other countries resources to mitigate the cost on tax payers then that would be nice.

Nobody, but the government is obligated to pay the interest to other countries and international banks. Higher debt essentially means they're yielding control of their own assets over time. The increasing national debt introduces instability into the system and puts the country more and more at risk of financial collapse in the future.

More debt is not a good thing. The country should want to maintain current debt. Considering what 9/11 did to the US debt, adding to that is not a smart long term plan.

some suggest that 'military industrial complex' be renamed 'technology budget'.

really. and it makes a bit of sense, owing to what you just said.

Oh Jesus, you don't even know what they spend it on, gender reassignment surgery, studies on what is the most efficient way to hang rolls of toilet paper in the bathroom, diversity training, making the soldiers wear high heels and give each other make-overs, shit neither you nor I could possibly imagine, because we'd both make up the most ridiculous thing we could possibly think of and it wouldn't even come close....

Meanwhile, the soldiers on the ground have shit boots and no armor and literal dogfood to eat, everything that the politicians and generals steal, they don't just steal from the taxpayers, they are robbing our goddamned soldiers, our boys on the literal goddamn front lines, literally killing and being killed, they're leaving those guy out there to DIE.

Think about Tolkien. He was at one time a literal grunt soldier, exposed to artillery, machine guns, disease, and every other horror of war, lost all his friends, and then came back home to write one of the best and most beloved works of literature in human History and had more influence on the world then every WW1 general could ever dream through his writings... How many "lord of the rings'" did we lose in that mud? How many of the people who were born to make this world a better place were slaughtered stupidly like worms for no reason and to no benefit?

We send the best and brightest people of every generation off to die again and again and again and then we wonder why everything's degenerating and fallen.....

the US would still be retardedly over powered if it cut its military spending by 10%

at this stage it's not for strategic purposes but just so all the big wigs in charged can make money personally with military contracts

They cut NASA in the early to mid seventies and took the money for Apollo 18,19, and 20. We were on the he cusp of a huge breakthrough concerning Helium 3 as a power source. The money was used for even more social programs and look we received. Another generation of semi-peaceful negroes. Lower standards on ASAT, ACT, and more GAY.
You Yankees beat us using the trash of Europe and Niggers that hate us to this day.
We police most of the world and that shit isnt free.
Now maybe your "money used elsewhere" is Liberal Yankee speak for your newest welfare, stinking Islam.
Do you think you Yankee Social Justice Warriors could take a break for a few year
You bastards have and are killing our Republic!!!

Spending on the military leads to spending on the military complex
Which due to import/export restrictions mostly stays in the country and drives economy further.

> nuclear warhead that looks like a rocket

>obligated to pay

It would set an unfortunate precedent of doing into military coffers whenever cash is needed fast. That has happened plenty of times in history, never ended well

I agree. Let's cut that percent we give to Israel. They don't give us dick and fill our countries with treasonous rats.

The military and the military industrial complex are two completely different things, and the MIC is very good at conflating itself with the military because they do have a very incestuous relationship, and that's what's SO fucked up, these people who are hamstringing the soldiers and sandbagging their own country are also hiding themselves behind the soldiers' honor, and so it is the honor of our military and even our soldiers personally that has come under constant attack by idiot monkey children who may have good intentions, but who are riled up and set to bark up the wrong tree, and they're also being wound up and organized by these self-same cowards---

OH to Hell with it, YOU KNOW I MEAN THE JEWS! Even the ones who aren't Jewish, you know who I mean, those dirty kike rats! We should drown them all in pig's blood. But first we should make them beg for it.

You can tell if someone is smart or stupid by seeing if they quote the gross amount each country spends on the military, or if they quote the percent GDP amount. America only spends 4% of GDP on the military, compared to 2% in France & Britain & 3% with China and 4% with Russia etc. Not exact numbers but its pretty close to that

I don't think he even cares about increasing it. It's to keep from being assassinated by the military industrial complex.

how can China even feed their humongous infantry with this

Except that's what Happened in the 90s when Clinton and congress balanced the budget. The military was downsized by 30% to make that happen. Unfortunately that made gearing up for the attack on Afghanistan even more expensive afternoon 9/11

Japan spends massive amounts on its military. It's because there are constitutional restrictions on the size of their standing army so they spend large amounts on technology and training their fighting force to make them more effective. Considering their neighbors hate them and have much larger fighting forces Japan needs each soldier to fight like 10 men.

My point exactly

No, anyone who says military spending shouldn't be cut is an idiot and shouldn't have friends.

Yet we still run a deficit every year. Not much to cut in the first place.

>thinks US military spending should be cut
>uses republicuck memeflag

>most of the world hates our military
>most of our own allies hate our military
Why don't we disband NATO, become isolationist, and save some money? The new EU military can pick up the slack and achieve world peace through progressive means because they aren't being held back by conservative hicks in the US. Seriously no one likes us let's just leave the world alone.

Pen $1000
Paper clip $750
Printing paper $2500
Printer Ink $25000
Office Chair $125000
Coffee Mug $300
Toilet paper $200
AC unit $2500000
Elastic band $50

Having the ability to defend and keep peace is absolutely better than using peace as a defense.

Stupid leaf.