Your Name director

>Makoto Shinkai has a problem, a big problem. His mystical teenage body-swap movie “your name.” has become such a massive hit it’s beginning to worry him. “It’s not healthy,” the boyish director told AFP. “I don’t think any more people should see it.”

>And now there’s talk of Oscars. “I really hope it doesn’t win,” he added.

>"I am absolutely not at Miyazaki’s level. Honestly, I really don’t want Miyazaki to see it because he will see all its flaws.”

why are the japanese like this

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/813945096269860866
fictionpress.com/s/3206139
angryanimebitches.com/2016/11/thoughts-on-kimi-no-na-wa/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>And now there’s talk of Oscars. “I really hope it doesn’t win,” he added.

It kind of feels like humbly gloating more than anything "I'm successful enough to be able to tell people not to see my movie."

Why are they such a bunch of faggots? It's like they're shitting on every director in the industry by doing this.

Must be nice to be in a position where you can pretend not to want people to see your movie when there are tons of productions that end up in the red.

Yea, they should watch Voices of a Distant Star instead.

I dont know if thats brilliant marketing at work, but it makes me want to see it in a theatre.

That's just how Japs act. Could you imagine one saying "I'm the best, watch my movie"?

Makoto Shinkai: Stop watching my movie NORMIES REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Is he /ourguy/?

Yeah it's overrated and he realize that.

he looks good with that hat

>boyish

What did he mean by this?

No, only Americans do that.

twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/813945096269860866

Maybe he feels pressured?
Any other movie he makes probably won't come close to Kimi no na wa's success.

>#1 in the Japanese box office for 12 weeks, 11 weekends
>Has surpassed Miyazaki's Howl's Moving Castle as #2 Anime Film of All Time in Japan
>Earns 20 billion yen and counting to surpass Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets in Japan
>Reached 10 billion yen 9 days faster than Frozen
>Now beyond 20 billion yen (US$288 million).
>Nominated for an Oscar
>Wins LA Film Critics Award
>Has become the no. 1 highest-grossing Japanese movie in China
>Has become the no. 1 movie in Thailand
>On the cusp of going beyond the box office gross of Spirited Away (US$289.1 million)

Even the director himself can't stop meme magic.

TYBDT

Good thing he sees how retardedly overrated this stupid movie is.

>g-guys keitai was a mistake

Are people really falling for this shit?

Stop posting that because it's already a thing.

fictionpress.com/s/3206139

Would he be voiced by Norio Wakamoto in an anime?

now with this piece of shit movie becoming a success, the entire industry will now try to emulate/replicate it, and follow his example

i hope this guy dies in a fire

High production value
Great music
Absolutely beautiful visual

Is there a problem?

>from now on, every anime movie is Keit-ai now

And people keep saying that Keit-ai won't find a way.

Yes.

Yeah, beautiful visuals can not really hide those ocean sized the plot holes.

go ahead and nitpick because that's all that we can do

Maybe shinkai knows that he basically recycled some old tropes, traced some photos and that he has been a hack since 5cm. Obviously he deserves no real praise.

>the supernatural teen romance genre

Mite b cool.

Magical realism with stupid plot holes? Yes there is a problem

I hope Kimi no Keit-ai wins the Oscar because if it does, I expect a sticky with a "FINDS A WAY" banner over it and an apology from the mods.

The butthurt would be legendary.

Shinkai joins the hat party. Is there anything that he can't do?

>Now beyond 20 billion yen (US$288 million).
>On the cusp of going beyond the box office gross of Spirited Away (US$289.1 million)
>Sup Forums meme'd a copypasta into becoming the highest grossing Japanese film of all time

Sasuga.

Same problem as every Shinkai production, it has all you said, but absolutely nothing else.

If he really thinks its a flawed movie, and isn't really proud of it then I can understand this being really shitty for him.

>Everybody loves the movie you don't even like yourself

We are talking about anime here, the visual and presentation probably make up about 90% of the meat. Plot probably the rest of the 10%. As long as they are passable, it is alright. I mean there is a reason anime is the best medium for SoL where plot is almost non existent. Not to mention how majority try to be plot heavy always ended up being a train wreck and shit.

I mean the storyline here is just like a ripoff of lake house/il mare/love letter. Seriously, if all anime look as good as this, we would probably be heading back to the golden age of 80/90s high budget OVA.

It's asian thing, not just Japanese. In the west, if someone gives you a compliment; its normal to reply "yes!! Thank you! I worked hard and managed to beat everyone with my intellect and skill! Haha thanks for noticing!"

But the Asians and the British have a culture of humility where it's condisered rude to just revel in praise, even if you created something worthy of doing so. Look up speeches from the Oscars vs asian media awards. Everyone in Hollywood talks about how long they wanted to win and how much the award validates them etc. In the east they usually say something along the lines of "thank you very much, this is another reason for me to work even harder and deliver more great work for you to enjoy".

As an American I honestly find it refreshing. Especially when it comes to something that's such a massive success like this film, what is he supposed to say?

"Yes I made the greatest film ever and the box office proves that. Drink up plebs, it's a masterpiece"

Everyone knows it's a massive success so showing humility in the face of that seems like the proper thing to do. Especially for an artist.

So basically a slice of life movie should be just focus on nothing but showcasing shiny colors and disregarding any actual plot because it's a slice of life?

yeah, i'm pretty sure retro anime also does that...OH WAIT

Except Kimi no na wa is all plot.

You are under arrest is boring as fuck and probably has even less plot than your name.

>looking at cute cops drawing chalk line on the tyre is considered an actual plot

Source needed.

We've heard about it a lot, but what exactly are these plot holes that people keep bringing up?

Kawaii!

From what I understand from my little knowledge on the culture, it's not acceptable to be very braggy or be too prideful in yourself. It's looked at as a bad trait. I think this is simply what he's doing here. Not that he doesn't find any truth in it.

I don't understand how they even started developing a plot.
pic related.

But it doesn't sound like he's trying to be humble; he is genuinely afraid that this movie is too popular

Okay, no. This is not true. You are basically saying visuals are everything and plot doesn't mean anything.

I certainly don't agree, I watch things mainly for the plot. But that's me. I think for other people, it should be something like %50 plot %50 visuals. You're telling a story with this medium. No matter how pretty, if it's shitty it really doesn't have any value.

Why is Eva so famous and we're still talking about it 20 years later? Not because of the shiny visuals, let me tell you.

Good looking anime with no plot comes and goes, they don't mean anything in the long run. Good stories stay though, even with bad visuals. We connect with characters, watch them throughout their stories and feel something with them. Just good wallpaper material isn't good anime.

>High production value gender bender shit
>Bad

Where did you nerds watch it? There is no BDrips yet

>Eva doesn't have good visual

Sure it might look dated nowadays but I dare said no TV anime came close to what Eva did back then. The OP alone was enough to blow the fuck out of anything back then. Also how the fuck do you think Anno got his start? By fucking making an OP that was so good visually and was still worshiped to this day.

you tried

Oh come on, Eva is famous for it's last episodes and characters, not its OP. Jesus Christ, go read some discussions on it, no one is talking about how visually fantastic Eva's OP was. People are talking about personalities and psychological issues of its characters, symbolism, is Shinji is gay and what EoE really meant.

I forgotten how many eps YUA ran for when I watched it decade ago but I think it is about 40+ eps of them replaying the joke with fucking fatass biker dude trying to court Kobayashi that went nowhere.

Your Name resolved the Okudera and Mitsuha drama in 30mins.

Eva was average animation wise, if not worse.

this is some hardcore nitpicking

don't worry, you're precious your name is successful, be happy about that

No idea but I'd certainly like to put my penis in that plot hole (her vagina)

Dont disrespect Mitsuha like that! She is only for Taki you fucking pleb.

CTR stop shitting up my boards.

Except plot is not about phones alternate dimensions

Eva has some crazy sakuga in EoE
The TV anime has some issues, but the character and mecha designs are pretty nice

BENIS IN BAGINA :DDD

>M-Miyazaki snepai is gonna be mad at me...
Cute

>body swap
>use keit-ai to communicate with each other
>get advice to get into okudera skirt
>fell in love with the keit-ai girl instead
It is at least 90℅ keit-ai compare to the okada movie that was used as the keit-ai template before your name came out.

For one, they don't even see the date on their fucking phones they keep using to leave each other messages.

Madoka almost gets a Oscar indication is not impossible he wining but i bet the furrie movie wining all.

>I strongly feel that Kimi no Na Wa. is an insult to life itself

I kinda hope it wins an oscar just so modern anime hijacks the spotlight from Disneyshit, but then we'd also have to deal with more Hollywood shit and normans flooding into Sup Forums.

remember, Urobutcher almost gets a oscar indication

>Madoka almost gets a Oscar indication
You do realize it takes nothing to get on the short list right? Its called "for your consideration" for a reason

>tfw this hack wil have more chance to gets a Oscar than Oshii or the dead Satoshi kon

Tragedies are becoming just as bad as revenge plots. The only reason they're popular is because they're entertaining trainwrecks, just like how revenge plots are entertaining fulfillment.

It was basically a joke, too. Frozen came out the same year so even if Madoka received a nomination it wouldn't have stood a chance because of the Disney stranglehold. Plus it wasn't a standalone film so no western film critic (or any self-respecting critic period) would give a fuck. Most film/literary awards are given to works that stand on their individual artistic merits.

It is truly pitiful to see Japanese artists put that old fart on this insurmountable pillar in the darkness of their minds. The old becomes obsolete. The old are meant to be surpassed. Why can't the Japs be more confident? Why can't they be more American?

>implying board with the highest weebs level would have only Americans.

That attitude feels like a fucking weak willed man or someone trying too hard and instead of humble comes off as arrogant

What will happen if Miyazaki went to see it?

>>heil myself
>>watch my show
>>I'm the German Ethel Merman, dontchaknow

I feel like the tone would be less arrogant than this article conveyed if it is in Japanese.

Gundam Wing aired the same year and had better animation and storyboarding.

Madoka got teared down by critics even if it didn't get into the shortlist of the Oscars. It was fun seeing weebs BTFO by people with actual knowledge of framing and scene composition. Sup Forums was butthurt especially by that Vanity Fair review.

the end of shinkai's career

Got any reviews? I'm rather curious about this

But the direction/storyboarding/composition in Madoka were actually really great. Shinbo and Inu Curry carried the fuck out of the visual presentation.

The biggest issue it'd face with legit critics is that the narrative and writing are too shallow and just fall apart if you put them under a microscope. It's still better than your typical Disney feature length music video, but it wouldn't stand against higher-class western cinema unlike Miyazaki's films which carry more serious themes and messages.

It's almost hilarious looking back at how people were hailing Madoka as "the Evangelion of mahou shoujo" and now it's just "that show that rekindled adult-oriented mahou shoujo".

>actual knowledge of framing and scene composition
>Vanity Fair
What the fuck am I reading?

Rebellion ruined it

It is indeed changed the Mahou Shoujo genre.

maybe if Miyazaki gets dethroned we will finally see something on par with his stuff pre-Ponyo

Rebellion is a visual masterpiece but it indeed ruined all of the significant themes and characterization in the TV series. It's a shame, they already had it working fine as a cash cow with merchandise and spinoffs.

I think its influence was significant as well. I enjoyed Mahou Shouko Ikusei Keikaku immensely, so while Madoka might not stand forever as a piece of art the Butcher at least did a good job sparking some creativity in other writers.

> Honestly, I really don’t want Miyazaki to see it because he will see all its flaws.
It's funny because your name is a better movie than anything Miyazaki shat out in the past decade.

>Why is Eva so famous and we're still talking about it 20 years later? Not because of the shiny visuals, let me tell you.
Part of Evangelion's legacy was fucking up the mecha genre with Yamashita's nontraditional designs. And the series was fantastically storyboarded and inked up until 25+26 where they semi-intentionally, semi-budget defficiently degraded the animation quality.

The BDs are beautiful and all of the hand-drawn scenes under Anno's directions still have massive impact on rewatching. Visuals were definitely a strong aspect of Eva, just like every other aspect of it. The writing carried it, sure, but all aspects held up and complimented the work fairly equally.

>Look at me, look at me. I am the Miyazaki now

This retards can't tell he probably has someone managing his account

>someone else managing Trump's Twitter
>implying

Wait nobody told me this movie has body swapping. Now I want to watch it more. That's the best fetish ever.

angryanimebitches.com/2016/11/thoughts-on-kimi-no-na-wa/

>someone managing his account

Why that's almost "unpresidented".

The fuck is this? CTR, the election is fucking over, can you and Sup Forums fuck off to your respective holes?

>criticizing Trump for anything
>muh CTR

He was talking about western reviews of Madoka. There was one that was in Vanity Fair I think, but that's kind of a joke.

SHAMEFURU DISPRAY

FINDS