Is this series worth getting into?

Is this series worth getting into?
I've heard it's consistently good, unlike other long running shows, so that's nice. But does it do enough to progress the story and keep you invested throughout?

Other urls found in this thread:

detectiveconanworld.com/wiki/The_Boss_of_the_Black_Organization
drive.google.com/file/d/0BwWTLoXddOgbNHNjc1owWUF4X0k/view
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>I've heard it's consistently good

It's consistently the exact same show it was when it started airing, there has been basically no plot progression over the 800+ episodes and movies. Depending what you mean buy good depends how many times you want to see the exact same plot points and murders commited

>it's a knife in the ice episode
>it's a fish string to a key episode
>it's a conan gets to direct all the police again episode
>It's a solved by a bicycle kick episode
>It's a Christmas/Valentines/NewYears episode where he is big for 24 hours because FUCK YOU WHY NOT
>less than 6 months has passed in the series

So yeah, if you want 800 episode of the same stuff go for it

It never gets "bad", but it never goes anywhere. It's easy to get burnt out on it, so I wouldn't recommend watching it all in one go. It's fun, and the characters are likeable, and sometimes that's all you really need to carry a series.

When was the last (actual) episode they had the Black Organization in any role?

783 they showed up, before that episode 500

detectiveconanworld.com/wiki/The_Boss_of_the_Black_Organization

This always kills me about the show, and part of the reason I don't watch it aside from the original run.

>"oyama revealed that he didn't expect the Detective Conan series to last longer than three months"

It's pretty obvious the original anime was just suppose to be a short run by how things progressed.

>tfw i marathoned all episodes years ago
>the first few hundred were super comfy because Conan was on his own with on!y a few allies like Heiji and Haibara
>now he has phone access to the FBI, CIA, Japanese,Secret Police, every district police, moles inside BO etc
It's still a good series but I miss those first few hundred episodes

I'd probably pick the show up if there was some kind of longer or overarching series arc aside from "BO" who basically doesn't even seem to be wanting to commit any real terrorist crimes at all.

>Let's develop a super drug!
>YEAH!
>But never use it except for a few very random weird encounters we could have easily stabbed them
>YE-oh wait what?

Series kind of burnt me out like IPPO, like 900 chapters and IPPO is still some small time "okay" boxer that seems to forget boxing every arc

I really like Kaito Kid, the first OVA series and 1412 were great, can't get into Conan though.

It's not consistently "good", it's consistently the exact same thing for 980 chapters.

The plot goes nowhere, the subplots go nowhere, and the characters only very subtly change over the years.

If you try to marathon it you're gonna hate the series because you'd be seeing the exact same thing over and over again.

It's like Sherlock Holmes always said - any sport where you can't use your hands is conservative propaganda.

I like the first 40 volumes of the manga or so. After that it's pretty mediocre with some good moments when the plot actually moves forward.

>>It's a Christmas/Valentines/NewYears episode where he is big for 24 hours because FUCK YOU WHY NOT
Come on, we only had that like 5 times in the entire series. That's not much

Just watch it.

so who's the boss

>Is this series worth getting into?
Absolutely. But you get out what you put in.

>I've heard it's consistently good
You heard right.

>But does it do enough to progress the story and keep you invested throughout?
It's slow, but when plot comes around it's the best thing you'll ever watch.

>If you try to marathon it you're gonna hate the series
I marathoned it and it became my favorite series of all time by far.

anyone else really enjoy the episode one special? the nostalgia hit me hard hearing the first op again gave me goosbumps

>But does it do enough to progress the story and keep you invested throughout?

I really like the execution of the main storyline. However, they are doing fuck all to move it forward. I mean it does a lot of things, but it's spread out over ~1000 episodes, so no. 95% of it is unrelated episodic shit, that's frustrating.

Yeah, I was really happy the went with the first OP. I thought the whole thing was really well-done and and I enjoyed it a lot.

We got there boys

The manga would be better if they got rid of the detective kids

Mtsuhiko and Ayumi are great

Watched the Conan vs Kaito Kid vs Yaiba ova.

Kinda sad that Yaiba is not in the same continuity as DC

Genta>Ayumi>shit>Mitsuhiko

>those repeated plot points
Wow, glad to know I have seen everything this series had to offer when I watched the German dub on TV many years ago.

You're not old enough to post here, Genta

Shinichi. Conan is actually just a little kid implanted with Shinichi's memories with some alterations. Gin and Vodka never actually tried to kill Conan but just scared him to make it believable. Shinichi's goal was to lead the Black Organization without being suspected by his close friends.

There are also

>it's cyanide on the object that victim will get in his mouth in the most contrived way possible episode
>it's professor Agasa's friends/colleges killing each over something really trivial episode
>it's a needlessly complicated dying message that would no dying person would come up with episode

This fucking series.

>I'll kill you because you wrote a shitty fanfiction of a character I liked

Now that you mention those, one important thing was also missing:
>it's a Detective Boys episode
But I guess "it's solved by a bicycle kick" partly covers that.

>it's a how do these kid's parents let them hang around with the creepy old man episode

Threadly reminder that it's universally agreed Haibara is the best girl already. The author just needs to give in.

>it's a sera episode

>it's a heiji episode
>it's a kid episode
>it's an anime original episode
mfw

>tfw it's a non-BO-related Haibara chapter

>tfw it's a BO-related Haibara chapter

they say "Subaru lived in shinichi's house for years", I will never get it
how can Ran be so DUMB?

>they say "Subaru lived in shinichi's house for years"
when?

My Chinese exchange student roommate loved it, so it's probably dogshit.

I kinda lost my shit at that episode too.
The motive was so retarded I had to look up the wiki to double-check.

It was the Yusaku Kudo's Cold case, in the end, Sonoko said something like "You didn't know him, even thought you lived in his house for years?"
maybe it's a wrong translation

>it's a shonen tantei episode
>it's a genta fuck things up episode

>it's a genta fuck things up episode
Basically every DB episode

he is a stupid Takeshi (doraemon) ripoff, i hate genta

That's definitely a wrong translation.

Well I don't know the original line but "for years" doesn't necessarily mean literal years but can also just identify a non specific and very long timeframe. Probably just a wrong translation though, as you said.

Are you sure? That's one of my favorite episodes that I rewatch all the time and I don't remember Sonoko saying that.

Not in english

>Not in english
Well there's your problem. I just double checked the chapters and episodes and there was no line like that.

Yes, I checked the chapter too now, when I was writing here

Basically, if you enjoy mysteries and detectives give it a shot.

Why is Shiratori so cool in the movies but acts like a huge dick in the series?

Isn't that way early in the series? It's been a long time and he's a lot chiller now, especially after he got his own girlfriend.

He deserves all the bullying

Yes.

Just don't marathon it. Take it slow or else the non-plot relevant cases will start blurring together.

Also, Kaito Kid. He's the best. Especially in the movies where he gets to dress up as Shinichi and tease Ran.

>girlfriend
I'm at 244.. don't tell me he won the Sato bowl?!

Nah, he gets the school teacher.

No, apparently he's got a childhood friend who looks exactly like Sato, which is also Conan's homeroom teacher.

Takagi won the sato bowl big time

Shiratori realized that he mistook Sato for the girl he liked when he was a kid but he now managed to find the actual one

Anyone has the watching guide?
Started watching/reading according to it and my old computer died so I can't really continue.

You know who best girl is.

>SMUG
Haibara is a cheeky little bitch. Sera is bestest girl.

dcrewatch.tumblr. C o m /orderguide

Yeah it's tumblr, but it's the best guide out there

You know who the absolute best is

S A V A G E

>younger
nigga, you're just a fucking first grader

There used to be a guide on a 24 hrs storage website, but now every link I have is irrelevant anymore obviously. It combined between the manga and the anime and compared which is better in every single "arc" of the story. Thanks anyways.

The growing pains of a future college fuccboi

>it's a kids are horrified to see a dead body for the first 700th time

Those kids should be numb to anything

>it's a Conan kids capture and out do criminal masterminds, by using Home Alone style traps episode

Kaito or Shinichi?

Both. Together.

Is there any good subs of the most recent movie?

Movie 20 or the Episode One special?

and I agree. Both together seems best.

Movie 20. I saw one on nyaa but from the screenshots and the reviews the subs are probably inaccurate. Was wondering if a better version was out or if a group plans on subbing it.

This one isn't bad.
drive.google.com/file/d/0BwWTLoXddOgbNHNjc1owWUF4X0k/view

The megaupload link the translator had is dead, but the google drive version is still up.

Sera>Shiho>Sonoko>Kazuha>Ran

Same. I'm always up for more Kaito Kid.

Same for me, but now I dropped this. Too much useless cases, not enough BO related, I'm barely following the plot chapters. New cases are shit compared to old ones and the current anime design and tone are disgusting.

>List of couples who weren't childhood friends
Takagi+Sato

>List of couples who were
Literally everyone else

Why does he keep doing it?

Is there even a single DC case besides Night Baron that can compete to any of old Kindaichi's ones? Even the first episode is scarier than anything Conan has shown

Sonoko and Makoto aren't childhood friends.

Shinichi's parents, Sonoko+Maokoto and Yumi+Shukichi weren't childhood friends also

Thanks a lot!

You're welcome, user!

Sera is an overrated smelly boy

I'd sell my soul to get into this smelly boy.

So how long till I Sera show up?

I'm at 247

why does Sera even wear a top at this point

episode 646

She'd probably get a little chilly with no top on.

~10 months have passed asshole.
Canon Valentine's Day was near the beginning of the series and we just had canon Christmas.

oh is it now 10 months? Still 800 episodes is at LEAST a year and some change, not to mention the movies with can sometimes span multiple days.

The timeline in DC makes no sense, don't say "well A was canon but B-Z wasn't" Face it, the dude behind the show didn't think it would be such a hit and completely stopped caring about the original tracking down the BO

Its like you've never watched a whodunit in your life.

>Canon Valentine's Day was near the beginning of the series
Are you talking about the one where the Mom kills her son with poisoned chocolate (ep. 6)? Because that's an AO episode.

yet

>poisoned chocolate
I meant poisoned coffee.

A who done it would have been fine, the problem that irks me is how easily you can spot the reused plots. The other thing that irks me is the we have to be lightly reminded how conan is an adult in a kids body, yet he seems like he doesn't even true care at this point.

I mean look at Lupin the 3rd another very long running show, it has some of the same tricks and what not, but it also leaves the viewer guessing a bit and makes it feel original at times.

No. I mean the one that was actually canon that had a White Day canon episode later on.

>400 episodes to go

Gonna be a long ride