You know if Isekai was made in America today people will call it neo-imperialist

You know if Isekai was made in America today people will call it neo-imperialist.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Territorial_disputes_in_the_South_China_Sea
foxnews.com/world/2016/08/09/new-photos-apparently-show-china-building-fighter-jet-hangars-on-disputed-islands.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>ITT OP doesn't know what Isekai is

The difference is that American imperialist heroes are successful people that could just as easily make it big at home

Isekai is about NEETs inventing situations where their complete inability to function in the real world is somehow a positive

I want to fuck the elf.

You know, Gate seems like it'd feel a bit less ridiculous if it was an American thing with some branch of the US armed forces as the portagonists rather than the JSDF.
Hard to say why, though

which makes it even more imperialist

implying that even the dregs of their society are superior to the others

When is NA going to make an anime about a military base in the middle east getting teleported into fantasy land?

What? Like Stargate?

>make a series about a Japanese person going into Medieval Europe, making their lives better with modern technology, teaching them modern ethics, and being a better knight and mage then any of them
>get a devoted fanbase and money

>make a series about a White person going into Sengoku Japan, making their lives better with modern technology, teaching them modern ethics, and being a better samurai and onmyoji then any of them
>get called racist

Not enough nukes to be america desu.

oh we only nuked TWO times TWO times and they won't let us live it down

started watching this last week
i pretend that im watching GATE

Probably because japan's military is actually way less powerful than the show suggests.

I'd prefer it if it was multiple countries having a fantasy world military dick measuring contest and the local populace realizing that the factions oppose eachother and politicking their way to safety instead of Nippon Stronk.

I don't really see the problem with Gate. America does this kind of shit all the time. It's written by a Japanese author for a Japanese audience.

Though I do get where people are coming from. America can get away with it because despite what you think of the country or it's people, the fact that they have the world's most dominant military force isn't up for debate. The JDIF are a joke, and seeing in them outplay Special Forces is a bit ridiculous. Not to mention that Japan is America's bitch, and if any of this happened in real life they will be forced to "share" those resources or get fucked in the ass by Uncle Sam.

Watch Stargate SG-1.

No seriously, it's actually good.

>seeing in them outplay Special Forces

this is the thing every one mentions with GATE

the nips taking out chinese american and russian special forces

But the Nips were already posted up at the bath house just waiting,
and the chinese american and russians came to them

Isn't shit like Stargate Isekai? I don't think anyone ever called it neo-imperialist.

If GATE was made in Japan, Americans would shitpost in all the threads.

>Isn't shit like Stargate Isekai?
Kind of? But I don't think so.

Isekai means moving to another world/dimension (usually fantasy but doesn't have to be), the way that they get there doesn't really matter whether it's reincarnation, summoning or falling into a hole. With Stargate they're traveling to other 'worlds' but still in the same universe/galaxy, they get a starship in the later seasons and can just move between planets without the gates for instance. So it's more of a Military Sci Fi thing.

A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court kind of follows all the same trappings of an isekai story but it's probably closer to something like a time travel story because it's the past and not a different world entirely. Though you could argue that Arthurian legend is all fiction and not real history.

Japan's military isn't necessarily less powerful than they show in the anime, the issue is that they're the JSSDF: The Japanese Strategic SELF DEFENSE Force. A militia intended only for SELF DEFENSE is sortied AGAINST a foreign body even though THEY NEED US PERMISSION to do that.

Besides this blatant disregard for international law, I actually think GATE is far from being the worst offender in terms of isekai. The MC was technically a productive member of society even if he was a bitchboi half the time. Writer just let his military otaku boner get too big, which isn't awful if you're into military stuff.

I think Gate maybe jerked off the JDIF more than most US 'heroic military movies'.
Like, I think any modern military would seem amazingly benign and compassionate to medieval people, but something about the way Gate emphasies their virtue seems rather overdone.

OP is retarded and doesn't know what isekai means. GATE is specifically neo-imperalist because it's about Japan conquering a parallel world. But it's ok, because they're just establishing diplomatic relations the way papa US taught them :^)

Probably because we've done this "vaguely American military goes to fantasy land and fucks shit up for glory/oil" and there's at least some level of self-awareness to cast conquest shenanigans as at least some level of villainous.

The other half of it, is that often in stories about American military guys getting transported to another world with a different level of technology, even with their rifles and whatever, the fact that these are things that need to be replenished means their advantages are going to be quickly depleted. There's no satellites, no fuel refineries to make gas for their vehicles, no factories cranking out new bullets. Their assault rifles are basically a crutch until they figure out how to navigate the new world, it's not going to be 12 episodes of jerking off about how you can shoot a caveman from 300 yards away and he can't do anything to you.

You mean the US troops who lose to sandniggers riding toytota pickups? kek
US foot soldiers are shit, only thing murica has is nukes.

Don't forget the highly experimental, impractical for combat jets that cost taxpayers hundreds of billions of dollars that are created purely to say "look what we can do!" even though our military force is already wholly apparent to any of our allies or adversaries.

>neo-imperialist
>What is shit is the military bases China is building in the middle of the ocean on artificial islands and just under Japan's nose.

China has made new large ocean territory claims and has forcibly occupied a number of islands. China continues to dredge soil and coral from the seabed and build artificial islands in many shallow areas. It then extends 200 mile territorial claims from these islands. By building chains of these islands all within 200 miles of each other, China has been able to expand its territory out pretty far. China also has eastward claims out to the Midway area islands.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Territorial_disputes_in_the_South_China_Sea

Since the phillipines have ocean oil wells, China has claimed the ocean as close as 20 miles off the phillipines coast. It's not a big deal is it?

The "populate and vote" approach was also what the Gate novels touched upon when China wanted to immediately send a lot of chinese into the new world to colonize it. They would take over land and vote to join to China.

>The "populate and vote" approach was also what the Gate novels touched upon when China wanted to immediately send a lot of chinese into the new world to colonize it. They would take over land and vote to join to China.
That sounds like a pretty cool plot point. Did it make it intothe anime? I only watched a few episodes

>Don't forget the highly experimental, impractical for combat jets

It's that requirement for either no runway or very limited short runway that created the expense for those next generation jet fighters. Future combat against aggressors such as China was planned under the expectation that all bases near any combat zone would be wrecked with their runways cratered.

foxnews.com/world/2016/08/09/new-photos-apparently-show-china-building-fighter-jet-hangars-on-disputed-islands.html

Satellite photos appear to show China constructed at least two dozen hardened concrete hangars suitable for housing Chinese air force planes, including strategic bombers and inflight refuelers, on disputed islands in the South China Sea.

The photos were collected and studied by the Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS), a Washington-based think tank. They show construction work on man-made islands at Fiery Cross, Subi and Mischief reefs.

“These hangars are the smoking gun. You do not build nearly 80 hangars for civilian purposes on these tiny spits of land They're clearly meant for forward deployment of Chinese Air Force assets,” Greg Poling, Director of CSIS' Asia Maritime Transparency Initiative, told Fox News.

“They're holding a gun but they haven't put the bullet in it yet and they're saying that's not threatening,” he added.

China has said the new military islands are primarily to assist fishermen and other causes, as well as to reinforce its sovereignty claims. China also says that the islands should be able to defend themselves, and that it is entitled to build whatever structures it wishes on them.

GATE already gets called pathetic wish fulfillment anyway.

>It's that requirement for either no runway or very limited short runway that created the expense for those next generation jet fighters. Future combat against aggressors such as China was planned under the expectation that all bases near any combat zone would be wrecked with their runways cratered.
Oh, I'm not talking about experimental VTOL or STOL jets that are intended to eventually be mass produced.

I'm talking about the stealth fighters where they literally make one model that costs like $60 billion just to show off a ton of features that will never be used in actual sorties because they're that expensive to produce. A good deal of our military funding sinks into these useless vehicles that are obviously not practical for mass production or real combat on paper but they make them anyways to show off.

why the second season was so shit?

>this much text about China
>says nothing about Russia's plan for domination

I'm on to you Putin

>Did it make it intothe anime? I only watched a few episodes
A lot of the "boring" stuff in the novels didn't make it into the anime. The anime has to entertain and sell merchandise after all. Alphapolis hosted the Gate manga which helped ramp up the popularity to get an anime published. So it was time for all the copyright holders to profit. Presumably, the author signed over the royalty rights in a standard contract so he'll get a one time lump payment.

>The "populate and vote" approach
>That sounds like a pretty cool plot point
It's actually real. China had been populating and taking over various island nations with both businesses that drove out native companies and with population living on the islands that were able to vote in elections. The island governments got nervous, so before they could be voted out, they passed various changes such as island sovereignty can only be voted upon by native lslanders. This was adopted by many island nations, so the population cannot easily vote to become a province of China.

It would have been highly profitable to China of course as it has the military might to enforce a 200 mile "our waters you cannot fish there" rule. And of course, having more islands means having unsinkable aircraft carrierts and missile launchers.

Its not, Japan has a powerful military for the situation. Most of the US military expenditure goes to force projection, which isnt a problem in GATE. They cant haul much through such a small portal anyways.

Japan didnt break international laws though nor does JSSDF need US consent to defend Japan in case of surprise enemy action

I shoud add that most was bad choice of words. Much of*

Everything happens inside japan though, as long as the gate is in Tokyo it's like the whole isekai is an invading force.

Stargate is based

Interdimensional boundaries don't count as national boundaries? Or is it because the physical Gate is in Japan that they basically get exclusive rights to it?

Baal was based as fuck. Best system lord by far.
He managed to pull some Aizen level keikakus near the end of the show.

Stargate isn't really isekai though like some user already said.