Hosoda vs Kon vs Oshii vs Miyazaki vs Shinkai

Which of these is the best anime film director?

Why is Shitkai there?

Miyazaki.

Obviously Miyazaki is the greatest. With Isao Takahata in 2nd and Mamoru Oshii in 3rd.

No contest

Miyazaki is the best anime director with no one on that list coming close, although Kon and Oshii are certainly better than most. Shinkai is straight bad.

Jon and it's not even close. Hackazaki nor Hosoda are anywhere near his level.

*Kon

Shinbo with Kizumonogatari

For as much as I love Kon, he just didn't make enough before he died. He didn't even get to finish his most ambitious film. He has the best average ratings for his output though.

He's literally about to surpass Miyazaki.

Miyazaki has done what no other animator or artist has done; he has made movies that are 100% him and his ideas, with an unparalleled visual aesthetic that is the most creative and whimsical in all of anime. His designs are unique and beautiful without going into Disney or nightmare fuel territory and are just amazing to look at. Are there other artsist who can do similar art? Sure, but who the hell among them has ever made consistently high-budget and beautifully animated movies like Miyazaki has? Yes, you can argue that others like Kon are similar, but Kon doesn't come close to Miyazaki when it comes to using animation to his advantage, and his style is not as whimsical.

Nothing Shinkai, Hosoda, or Kyoani have ever made has come close to surpassing Miyazaki's imagination.

Miyazaki would disagree with you.

They're all great. Stop trying to incite a shit flinging contest for no reason.

Say what you want about Miyazaki, but his art style and design philosophy are by far the best in the anime industry (including mangaka). It doesn't rely on photorealism or terrible CGI, everything on screen comes from Miyazaki's own hand and skill as an artist. His style is so iconic that it's been emulated nonstop, even by the other so-called "successors" like Shinkai and even in his own studio. The fact that no one has been to uproot his dominance in the Japanese anime industry just goes to show how iconic and brilliant his style is.

There isn't a single person you can name that surpasses him on a visual design level.

>using animation to his advantage
How so?

Oshii is the best.

Oishi did Kizu not Shinbo you twat.

Takahata is better than all of them combined.

I feel like Miyazaki uses the animated medium better than most anyone in the industry. Making things that just couldn't exist in live action, or at least something that wouldn't be as effective.
Kon's anime all seem to be more along the lines of a film that he animated. Paprika certainly benefited the most from being animated because of how integrated the dreams are. Like, you could just film Tokyo Godfathers, and I don't think anything would really change on the output. Maybe the exaggerated faces the cross dresser makes.

Kon in Paprika alone uses visuals better than every Miyazaki movie combined.

And that's not even including Perfect Blue's incredible cinematography.

Oh I agree, he's my favourite director easily. Takahata doesn't surpass him but is the only director in anime I could name on his level. Heck, world animation considered I could only name a few more as good as he is. I just meant that he'd disagree with your assertion that his movies are "100% his" - I've been reading his books and a big part of his filmmaking philosophy is that (commercial) animation is and should be collaborative.

>Kon doesn't come close to Miyazaki when it comes to using animation to his advantage
Wait what?

Have you ever even seen a Kon film? He's literally the master at using animation to his advantage. In fact, I'd argue he's the greatest of all of them.

as much as I like Hosoda because of Digimon and Bakemono no ko as well other kemono style movies, this is a battle he cannot win

Don't be a bitch, I'm not flinging shit I'm telling it like it is. Hosoda and Shinkai simply aren't great.

He's unquestionably a brilliant director - one of the greatest ever - but I'll always prefer Miyazaki to him and trying to argue one as better than the other is in my opinion an impossible task.

The two on the outside are nothing special really compared to the 3 in the middle.
They actually seem quite out of place in that image.

Yamada

I hope Silent Voice is good. K-On is one of the best shows ever, but everything else she's done was eh.

Tamako Love Story was a masterpiece as well, though. I know Market was bogged down by production issues but so far she's been 2/2 for movies.
KnK has Yoshida working on it as well. My hopes are honestly a little too high for it.

>K-On is one of the best shows ever
Fucking kill yourself.

2 > 3 > 4 >>>>> 1 >>>> 5

>K-on is one of the best shows ever

Masterpiece is a strong fucking word to use for TLS. It's a good movie for sure, one of the better ones in the last while, but I have a lot of issues with it.

What were you issues with it?
The only issue I had with it was that Mochizou is underdeveloped, but the movie was about Tamako so it didn't harm the movie much for me.

Kon and Oshii.

>Say what you want about Miyazaki, but his art style and design philosophy are by far the best in the anime industry (including mangaka).

You're an idiot who has watched less than five anime and not read a single manga.

The whole cast is rather weak. Mochizou is underdeveloped, he and his friends are unbelievable, Tamako as a "hentai mochi girl" is awful, the side characters feel largely useless or unimportant, so on and so forth. Bunch of silly plot points too; I don't like Mochi cheering her up that one time many years ago being the catalyst for Tamako coming around - I get what they're going for but it felt awfully flimsy. For what it is - a TV movie sitting with a short runtime - it's damn solid. But it's bogged down by a lot, far too much for me to ever consider it a masterpiece or even a great movie.

Hosoda's probably no contender for the best director in the list, but Summer Wars is the funnest movie any of them made.

Miyazaki is a better artist than Miura. Deal with it.

Takahata and Yuasa.

1. Takahata
2. Oshii
3. Miyazaki
4. Kon
5. Yuasa (with his two new films, I'm sure he will earn his spot)
6. Yamada
7. Katabuchi
8. Hosoda

No.

it's Kon, is it even a question?

As much as love Production IG, Kon is objectively the best anime director ever exist.

Kon > Anno > Shinkai > Oshii > Miyazaki > Hosoda

Summmer Wars is trash. It's my absolute least favorite Hosoda film. The visuals aren't nearly as captivating as any of his other works and the premise of the story is absolute dog shit.

I think it's Kon and it's not even close.

Miyazaki's art style nowadays is akin to what shut-in white girls on tumblr draw in their freetime. Fuck outta here. He's an overrated, pretentious director who makes overrated, pretentious films.

Old crew :
Takahata > Miyazaki >Ikuhara >Kon >Anno >Oshii >everyone else >Tomino
New crew :
Hosoda > Yamada = Katabuchi >Nagai >Oishi > Yuasa > Shinkai > everyone else.
Always:
My taste > your taste
>le keion is bad meme
Keion is the most human anime this century. Too bad you're far too removed from reality to realize it.

>Ikuhara >Kon
>doesn't even list Dezaki
Boy if this is some bull shit!

Prob cuz Dezaki is in the OLD old crew.

>Oishi > Yuasa

kys

>wanting me to mention the man who killed anime
b8. His only contribution is being remotely connected to Belladonna of sadness. Otherwise that furfag can rot in hell.

Miyazaki and Takahata got their start at the same time he did.

>Yuasa
>good
I honestly thought about putting him in the everyone else category. He's stale as fuck. He is in the business for longer than most of those in the list but he has progressed the least. Oishi has learned a lot from Kizu 1 to Kizu 2. Yuasa in Mind game and in Kick Heart is the same. He's stale as fuck and has plateaued a long time ago.

He's grown a lot since Mind Game.
Kizumonogatari isn't even a good film.

I'm not saying Kizu is a good film but there is a lot of changes in storyboarding and framing between Kizu 1 and 2 for the good. Kizu isn't even top 5 movie material in 2016.
But if you take storyboards from Mind games you can superimpose them over those of Kick Heart. He hasn't changed a thing in his formula and it has gotten stale.

Kon, easy

>Tomino is a bad director

I love this meme.

I think Miura is overrated AF but you are clearly delusional.

>Tomino is good
I love this meme even more. His flagship franchise reached its highest point under another director. He is a shitty toy salesman.

>His flagship franchise reached its highest point under another director.

He directed Turn A, dumbass.

Shinkai finds a way.

Firstly, what is it that you think a director actually does? Secondly, you're talking out your ass. Yuasa's reinvented himself with every project and consistently proves his talents. He's easily the most accomplished director working today.

Is that the one they made him air episodes out of order because the toymakers wanted a gundam to appear in the first episode?

What a betamax baldie loser

That was Victory, and what happened then wasn't his decision.

Know your target before you shitpost about it.

A director storyboards and laysout frames. And directs transitions.
>most accomplished director working today
That would be Hosoda easily. He has won most awards and made the most consistent run at the box office with the 2nd biggest mind share in Japan. Normal people still flock to his movies whenever they drop. Yuasa is mostly an internet circlejerk.

>151627061
>Miyazaki's art style nowadays is akin to what shut-in white girls on tumblr draw in their freetime.

Don't even deserve my (you)'s.

>Turn A
>best
I too love this meme.

>t. IBO cocksucker

I know it wasn't his decision. That guy lost control of the studio he helped found as well as his own franchise. That's what happens when you're a glorified toy seller

>He has won most awards and made the most consistent run at the box office with the 2nd biggest mind share in Japan.

Sales =/= skills.

How the fuck is Yuasa stale?

He still is the most awarded director right now.

Cool taste pal, I too enjoy garbage and celebrate hacks.

>which gook is the best gook?
who cares?

Miyazaki

Kon could only make one kind of film.

The Holy Trinity
Add Anno as a prophet.
Shinkai and Hosoda are garbage.

Pretty much. Then again, he does some pretty awful shit nowadays so I guess the good times are long gone at this point.

>commercial success equals mastery
Kill your kys.

What's that then?

You mean Takahata's style.

2>3>>5>4

>he has made movies that are 100% him and his ideas

hmm except Howl's is based on a fucking book you idiot.