Here's a question for you, Sup Forums

Here's a question for you, Sup Forums.

Have you ever read a long-running manga (i.e., three or more years) that has had a satisfying, conclusive ending?
An ending that doesn't feel rushed.
An ending that isn't just a cop-out "who knows what adventures await them next!".
An ending that the narrative has constantly moved towards, and isn't delayed by an arbitrary number of "battle/drama of the week" situations.
An ending where the mangaka ends it of their own volition, instead of being axed by the publisher, or unable to continue due to poor health.

I feel that this is a rarity. Although perhaps I'm reading the wrong things.

Yes.

Yes

Most long-running manga should've ended years ago and so any opportunity for a clean, concise ending is pretty much gone. I don't think I've really seen one myself.

Not manga, but LoGH.

It's rare, but it does happen.

The one in your pic was okay.

The endings to all of Mizukami's big series have been pretty satisfying. Butthurt snakefags aside, at least.

Yes.

Ranma 1/2 didn't disappoint me.

why should it matter at times?
it's obvious when they have to filler out content due to whatever bullshit, even shit out a weird ending
there's also dipshits who don't know what to do with their series at all for an ending, filler or not
there can be "hidden endings" before the nonsense happens

FMAB comes to mind.

I disagree!
I get that the whole point of the series is to just "take it easy", but there were so many loose plot threads (brainwave mushrooms, that plane circling above the planet, etc.) that I just felt disappointed.

>there's also dipshits who don't know what to do with their series at all for an ending, filler or not
This just reminds me that Togashi didn't stop HxH after the World Tree for some reason.
>chairman gives his life to stop meruem
>gon loses his nen after chimping out
>killua and gon go their separate ways
>gon finds his dad finally

Yes.
>rec thread

Yes.

Idk if its long-running but Mushishi

Why would it matter? It might be just me but YKK feels like it was written from the begging to not answer many of the mysteries of it's world, instead it just sets pieces and vague references to whys, whats and hows. I feel like YKK would've been worse if any character straight up explained what happened and what is everything, wouldn't you agree?

Everyone dies at the end of that manga OP.

They are in the ship circling the world to literally watch the extinction of humankind. EVERYONE. IS. GOING. TO. DIE.

in b4 "b-but my comfy, slice of life manga"

That the point

The fact that humanity is fading it's what makes it extra-comfy

That's the point though. Everyone accepts it and just appreciates the life they have in the moment

The mystery is pretty nice though I wish I knew what happened to Alpha's owner

He's dead, probably. I had a headcanon that had him in the giant plane, either waiting or finding an answer to whatever is causing humanity to go extint. Either that or he wanted to explore the world.

Sanctuary.

>I feel like YKK would've been worse if any character straight up explained what happened and what is everything, wouldn't you agree?
It wouldn't have to be as blunt as that. Just giving us more things to help us piece together stuff like what the purpose of the ship is (like, is it some kind of way to let humanity's "best and brightest" live on?)
More cutaways to the goings-on in the ship would be a good way of doing it.

Instead the manga ends on a completely unremarkable note. I actually had to do a double take because it was so abrupt, I thought I might have downloaded an incomplete volume or something.
It's like if some generic battle manga ended during one of the lulls in between arcs instead of directly after one.
Alpha going on her journey could've been a good ending point imo.

I'm fully aware of the setting, user. It's right there in the synopsis and can also be gathered within the first few chapters.

You seem unusually excited to take a shit on someone's (supposedly) perceived notions about something. Do you perhaps enjoy telling young children that Santa isn't real?

It's been a while since I read it, but the ending felt good for me, since the humans in alpha's life were slowly dying or leaving her life, there's not much going on her life anymore, that's why in the later chapters there's so many time skips of such long periods of time. I take the ending as Alpha coming to terms with her "inmortality" and finaly settling up with Kokone on the cafe.

I never felt that the plane needed to be explained either, in the end it felt too just like another thing that passed through, yet another try for humanity to carry on.

These weren't "loose plot threads", but the style of manga's presentation, things that created the atmosphere of YKK's world.

Undercurrent had a good ending but it was short

OK now what were they?

agreed, though i always wanted some confirmation if pic related is her owner

Another "Everybody Dies" ending, admittedly.

nigger punpuns ending fucking sucked

the entire last 1/4 of it involving aiko was terrible and a cop out

pegasus was a walking breathing meme

>An ending that the narrative has constantly moved towards, and isn't delayed by an arbitrary number of "battle/drama of the week" situations.
>An ending that doesn't feel rushed.
>satisfying, conclusive ending?
An ending that doesn't feel rushed.

You missed the entire point of the manga

ya

Honey and Clover

Nodame Cantabile

Those weren't really plot points in YKK, but just devices to show the passing of time or the affect that humanity left on the planet.

The tapon would change hemisphere every 6 years and that was used to show how long had passed, but also provide a different perspective on the world and how people are seeing it change from above.

The human mushrooms were just to show the effect humanity had on the earth, that the world would remember humans, just like the plants that resembled streetlights, they're just the worlds memories. At least that's how I interpreted it, I tend not to think in detail about stuff in YKK as that wasn't the focus of the work, it was more about coming to terms with the ever-changing nature of the world and humanity and accepting the beauty in that impermanence.

>Alpha going on her journey could've been a good ending point imo.

There were still things not tied up at the Cafe at that point and the journey was a growing experience for her, she wanted to see how far she could go and see what she could see, it's the point where she's still expanding her horizons. Just setting off and leaving it there wouldn't have meant anything, seeing the turning point at the base of Mt. Fuji where she has that flashback to seeing it in the distance from her veranda and decides enough is enough and sets off back concludes the middle where she's satisfied she's seen enough.

The last cour the tone changes as it's a gradual winding down with time speeding up and running away from us to an inevitable conclusion, the ending wasn't abrupt though.

I thought the ending to Soil was pretty alright. Really it was difficult to expect anything else

Naruto.

What are you talking about, holy land had a terrible ending arc.
Well, apart from obvious FMA, i feel like Mizukami's and Tanabe yellow works all had satisfying ending. There actually would be more, but not always a well done ending correspond to a well done, not dragged out long running manga.

Dorohedoro.
The Lucifer and Biscuit Hammer.
Uzumaki.