Why do all paintings suck ass up until the renaissance?

Why do all paintings suck ass up until the renaissance?
I find it a little ironic how many people believe that ancient civilizations were superior to our own when this was considered the pinnacle of fine art

Other urls found in this thread:

greece.greekreporter.com/2014/10/12/stunning-mosaic-floor-revealed-in-amphipolis-tomb/
youtube.com/watch?v=L7PmKeRIBYo
youtube.com/watch?v=Q4_BkXgcj9U
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fayum_mummy_portraits
cyberlipid.org/perox/oxid0011.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

They preferred sculpture

Seems a reasonable answer. It is a bit weird though. The lack of paper would be an issue, sign painters were probably pretty good though. They just didn't have much materials at hand. No shops selling the products needed made whittling wood of shaping clay ubiquitously superior because that stuff was handy.

It has a lot to do with the steady supply of pigments and mixing mediums, too. Stable paints not requiring constant care to not be completely degraded after a few decades let alone a few centuries are kind of hard to make without lots of industry and trade.

>Why do all paintings suck ass up until the renaissance?

greece.greekreporter.com/2014/10/12/stunning-mosaic-floor-revealed-in-amphipolis-tomb/

There's a lot of things that we don't know about the ancient world.
For example this Mosaic from the Tomb Kasta who was discovered three years before, was created thousand years before the renaissance and shows us that ancient Greek Artists had extraordinary skills.

youtube.com/watch?v=L7PmKeRIBYo

youtube.com/watch?v=Q4_BkXgcj9U

Even the Byzantines was unable to create Mosaics with such amazing details.

There were no perspectives in paintings yet. It wasn't invented until the Italian Renaissance.

This was before 3D drawings were invented. Like going from the SNES to the N64.

Lascaux (upper paleolithic cave art in France) depicted animals in true perspective and NO other society achieved realism until the movement of the 19th century.

It only sucks ass if you're an American faggot with no class, no taste and no interest in anything that doesn't appeal to your autistic love of supersizing everything, chicken-frying it and then adding flashing lights

Not true. Artists knew about perspective in the ancient times. Greek architecture used mathematical formulas to enhance the perspective of their architecture. Large statues often had strange proportions so they looked better when viewed from the intended viewing angles and to emphasize certain aspects of the statue.

Why is every rock carving and painting from the Picts to the Norse to the Greeks, Romans, Etruscans, Egyptians, Mayans, Aztecs, Mesopotamians and so on, all draw in profile?

Who gave the mayans and aztecs the idea to draw like people who live on the other side of the planet?

They aren't all, but generally because it is the most complete representation of a bi-symmetrical object on a 2-D surface.

I'm talking in two dimensional painting/engraving, sculpture and architecture is 3D so obviously it's in true perspective. Sorry for the confusion.

if you'll notice, a lot of objects not people or animals are shown from a front-on view.

Perspective is to visual art as the 12-tone scale is to music. It seems obvious because we grew up with it, but it's actually a very clever illusion that needs a lot of intelligence to think up

Same deal as the 4 minute mile. Once someone breaks a barrier other people follow suit. Pre Renaissance most people assumed pic related was the limit if graphical representation

Paintings are usually executed on canvas/paper. Ancients didn't know how to archive that shit. Ancient paintings are lost but we have plenty of stone sculptures which display astounding figurative skills. OP is a faggot!

I bet an understanding of depth in painting happened independently a few times before the renaissance, but perhaps what made the knowledge of this more widespread was because people were more interconnected under the vast Roman Empire. Its like the flow of information pre and post the internet.

I am talking about that as well. Besides the fact that we have some examples of perspective in all kinds of ancient art, why would they not apply the same principles? Painters and sculptors were typically employed by the same schools, or shops, if you will, in those times, and they worked on the buildings as well, generally unlike today. They were not viewed as entirely separate disciplines, but had people who would specialize if they showed a particular aptitude, just like today.

We've had the chromatic scale for a very very long time. It goes much further back in history than most painting techniques so my point still stands. It took them very long to discover advanced painting techniques.
Keep in mind that when the church organ was first invented, which is probably the most difficult instrument to build, art still looked like pic related.

Awwww... look at the triggered lil Englishman.

Ancient and medieval art was infused with more meaning and had a religious and spiritual dimension. It was focused on depicting the metaphysical order of things, which was more "real" for them (e.g. A king or Pharoah 10x larger than his subjects). That is why they are "unrealistic" by modern day standards.

The Renaissance saw the rise of humanism, and focus shifted from heavenly things to earthly, human things. So they tried to depict man and nature as they are in the world, being "realistic" in the modern sense.

They used metal scrapers on that???

nice slide thread faggot, this isn't political.

I am sure the goal was to tie it into bloodlines and intelligence in some dumb way.

Christianity destroyed greco roman world

This is still the best image of Jesus.

There arent any mideval statues, great philosophers, great scripts... Just oppression of feudalism clergy and yahwahism.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fayum_mummy_portraits

From 400ad-1500ad its a void until the reduscovery of the rights of man all men are born equal.

That's nonsense.

Go ask the renaisvance men that kickstarted the end of feudalusm and reviced greco romanism.

WE

1. A huge majority of ancient paintings did not survive because paintings are far less durable than sculpture.
2. Before Tempera paint was invented in the the 1600s it was a lot harder to paint many shades which made it harder to do detail and depth
3. Medieval Christian painting in particular subscribed to a quasi-impressionistic style because of religious mores and did not seek to achieve a high level of realism.

That is just fucking nonsense. Aquinas, von Bingen, Dante, Eckhart, William of occam, Buridan, there are a bunch.

Also Gothic cathedrals, easily the most impressive form of Western architecture.

A truly cutting response, my octoroon chum

*before tempera was replaced (by oils), not invented, I fucked that part up

When Europe rediscovered greek thought muslims were still in feudal societies oppressed by clergy and nobles.

their paintings were burned by christuccks

that is art of people being decorated on a vase its all that survives a 2000 year witch hunt

That's a cartoon, it isn't meant to be real.

And there are examples of realism way back into ancient times especially statues.

This is from 100BC, better question is why did Greeks start to do the realistic style when nobody else did? It can't just be technical, wouldn't making something realistic be the default? Instead of people with giant heads or distorted features or the plain shitty drawings they did in the Byzantine times. It's got to be an attitude, a value of realism. It makes so much sense relative to Greek philosophy, the value put on clear thought.

Remarkable, christcucks are trash, we would have been the most advanced in the universe if Kikestrianity didnt overcome hellenism.

Check out some of the art on Greek and Roman coins as well, it's just as good as their sculptures. I guess it's not a total transition to 2d though.

Christcuck destroyed all European progress.

1) Most of the paintings from that era did not survive to this age. All the greek palaces, such as Acropolis of Athens, were originally painted for example. We have no idea how it looked like however.

2) For various (mainly technological) reasons they simply preferred sculpture as art form. It's like asking why are there no fugues in modern music. Various cultures developed various skills.

That's miniature... And impressive one at that, should see it in person to see how good they look.

Btw you can own such coins cheap if it interests you. Check Vcoins.com, you can get something really nice and 2000 years old for $100

>not knowing nothing about Illyrians

He is a Illyrian king

We haven't had chromatic for that long, the equal tempered scale was invented in the 1700s I think. The diatonic scale was around longer and that one is inferred more easily from nature, but they didn't use it with equal temperament.

The stuff that survived was durable.

You do know that it never went away, do you? It's the art of Roman fucking Empire! The same art that kickstarted Reneissance. Being Christian is only thing that kept it alive.

I recently got into art so I can answer this: it's the invention of perspective drawing in the early 1400s. Before then everything was really flat, and after that everyone really REALLY took to realism.

If you're interested in shit like this, read Human Achievement by Charles Murray. It's a great book.

paint something with a water based paint, leave it for a thousand years then see whats left of it.

the renaissance used oil paint for the first time

cyberlipid.org/perox/oxid0011.htm

>Oh yeah goy classics are terrible

this

This organ keyboard was made in the 1400s I believe. I could be wrong about that but it has the same set up as a modern keyboard.
If you know more about this please tell me but the idea of this
I don't know a lot about the history of music but I thought that the 7 modes, which are played on the modern chromatic scale of course, were popularized before the 1700s

Forgot pic

>Why do all paintings suck ass up until the renaissance?
influence of Hermes and psychedelic drugs finally discovered in the bible

don't sleep on gothic

This thread is about painting

>this isn't political.
art is very political, from Daumier to Hogarth to Banksy

My apologies

this is a bernini statue you mongoloid

It is indeed my meme flagging friend
I wasn't thinking, my apologies