House Intelligence Committee Advances a Deeply Flawed NSA Surveillance Bill

eff.org/deeplinks/2017/12/house-intelligence-committee-advances-deeply-flawed-nsa-surveillance-bill

>A bill to extend one of the NSA’s most powerful surveillance tools, and further peel back American civil liberties, was approved today by the House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence in a strict party line vote (12-8), with Republican members voting in the majority.

>The bill is the FISA Amendments Reauthorization Act of 2017, and it was introduced on the evening of November 30 by House Intelligence Committee Chairman Devin Nunes (R-CA). It is the latest legislative attempt to reauthorize Section 702, one of the NSA’s most powerful surveillance authorities that allows for the targeting and collection of communications of non-U.S. persons not living in the United States. The NSA also uses Section 702 to justify the “incidental” collection of American communications that are predictably swept up during foreign intelligence surveillance, too.

Other urls found in this thread:

eff.org/deeplinks/2017/11/house-intelligence-committees-nsa-surveillance-bill-includes-new-threats-and-old
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>allows for the targeting and collection of communications of non-U.S. persons not living in the United States

Why should I care?

>The NSA also uses Section 702 to justify the “incidental” collection of American communications that are predictably swept up during foreign intelligence surveillance, too.

It increases who is subject to surveillance, allows warrantless search of American communications, expands how collected data can be used, and treats constitutional protections as voluntary.

eff.org/deeplinks/2017/11/house-intelligence-committees-nsa-surveillance-bill-includes-new-threats-and-old

At this point it's all cya, them justifying what they've been doing for decades. The addendum if it can be called that has a massive spectrum, how many of us know or talk with someone who isn't American? It's a roundabout way to make domestic surveillance an admissible thing.

If you have nothing to hide you have nothing to worry about.

Google “CFPB”

I hope Trump lets the government shut down and removes pay from Congress.

Sure...How come the people who make these laws can't hold up to the same standard? The US government is abhorrently corrupt and lie through their teeth. How the fuck do THOSE PEOPLE expect us to actually accept that as an argument?

Everyone has something to hide.

I mean illegal things to hide. if you have any illegal things hidden then you belong in prison.

This is such utter horseshit logic. Yeah, if you're well intended just hand all of your autonomy over to the government I'm sure they have the same thoughts in their head as you do. Not.

your hallucination of what I said has been noted

>its ok that some govanon is watching me and my family at all times because im not doing anything illegal
What about all the illegal shit the government does like spy on its citizens

its not illegal if the government is doing it

Okay post your real name and all social media passwords then and your bank account login

You don't have anything to hide do you?

The type of intelligence a government gets by gathering massive amounts of data, info from random people is not ONLY useful for criminal prosecution of actual villainous individuals or whatever. A corrupt govt will EASILY use said info against EVERY member of a trusting populace of law abiding people. A govt that knows everything about the people they handle vs a people that doesnt even know who they are up against. Pair that shit with sophisticated AI and you're the lord of evil. Complete control. Just imagine pizzagate times a million. Hell, it's already happening probably.

the public does not need my information in the same way that the government does. the government needs my information to make sure I am not breaking any laws and to prosecute me if I am. that doesn't apply to the public at all.

Sounds like you have something to hide from your fellow citizens. Probably a law breaker.

Why the fuck do you trust the government to not screw you over anyways?

oh canada dont you have a job to work so you can pay more for war criminals living arrangements?

you would have said that no matter what I said because you were just asking a "gotcha" question with no intention of listening to my reasoning. public needs and government needs don't align, its as simple as that.

government commits less error than all other institutions. its not that I trust them entirely, just more than anything else.

Oh fuck off. Whites haven't had civil liberties since 1965. It's about time you worthless shitskins were brought down to our level.

>summoning the AI demon
the argument amounts to "if we don't do this we'll fall behind other countries in data driven population control technology"

This discussion has nothing to do with race. It affects everyone here.

nigger who are you talking to