In This Corner of the World earns 1 billion yen

With a 21.3x multiplier on its opening weekend too. Really amazing legs.
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-01-04/in-this-corner-of-the-world-anime-film-earns-1-billion-yen/.110618

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-grossing_anime_films
youtube.com/watch?v=C8IYZkoWodE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I refuse to feel guilty for the nukes.

Of course the Japs would go watch a movie where they paint themselves as the victims of war. Should've sent them more nukes back then.

Where?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-grossing_anime_films

BDs when? I can't even find much of the translated manga.

Are you stupid?

Do you want to say me something?
1 billion yen = $100.000.000

A billion yen is ten million dollars dumbass

That's great. BD when.
I thought Madokami have the translated manga?

This is not a huge success, then.

By getting to 1 billion yen so quickly, will it beat you-know-who?

It's on KM.

Fuck off, samefag.

No, but it can beat Koe no Katachi.

Do anime movies that aren't Ghibli finally get more successful?

Arguably the most important World War anime yet. Possibly better than Paku-san's Grave of the Fireflies even.

When are Japs gonna make an anime movie about all the chink and korean civilians they murdered and tortured?

why are they making tv anime again?

You've seen it? What makes it that way?

As soon as Americans make a movie about the My Lai massacre.

It's questionable whether we'll have a BD release even a year after it leaves theaters now that they've commited to animating 30 min of extra footage.
They're probably want to re-release the complete version on theaters as well.

Nice damage control retard.

>murder of a few hundred Vietnamese vs. killing of over a million Chinese

Otakus are easy money for every studio, unlike realifers.

I'm really excited to see this film. I was waiting all last year for it.

Damn, this movie destroy the competition. So boring.

No, you. Enjoy your guilt propoganda.

They made a movie about My Lai with Harrison Ford in 1975

They just enjoy playing victims. Let them be.

Why do movies like this trigger Sup Forums (Sup Forums) so much?
If you read the manga you'd know it's not propaganda at all.

Because its fun to rip on the silly Japanese for eating our uranium even though I enjoy their media.

It's the fourth best-selling Japanese film of all time.

Meanwhile, Moana has already made more money total than both Spirited Away and Kimi no Na wa.

>Meanwhile Koe no Katachi has stopped earning shit after getting more screenings

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

KyoAnusfags will try to defend this.

Koe no Katachi for smart and mature people, not your mainstream shit

It stopped earning because it's old.

Why didn't they release Koe no Katachi internationally? I figure it would've been successful given it's "bullying is bad" message.

Based fucking Mappa

Americans are dumb and self centered and fat.

I can't see it beating Koe no Katachi. It's already out of the top 10 at 1 Bil. While KnK left that position after 2.1 Bil. Kono Sekai is big but not KnK big.

It's still in the top 10 but yeah I don't see it making more than 1.5 billion

Excluding the outlier( Kimi no Na wa) non Ghibli anime movies that are huge successes( top 100 movies in Japan) are either Hosoda or Anno or mainstream franchises like One Piece or Conan. Nothing else comes close. Also to enter the top 100 you need more than 5Bil Yen which is really beyond what a 62 screen opener can achieve.

But it did earn 200 million yen after leaving the top 10 for a month. It went from 2.1 Bil to 2.3 Bil.

This.
The main characters are normal people in wartime, that are too busy trying to get by day to day to care about who's in the right and who conducted what atrocities.
There are soldiers and warships depicted, but they aren't glorified or made in martyrs. The manga seems to be melancholic that they even have reason to exist.
War sucks for normal people everywhere. This just happens to be a Japanese story.

t. person whose country was reduced to rubble in WW2 just like the japs

kizu got blown the fuck out

This kind of rationale may sound reasonable if you are talking about a modern society but certainly NOT in WW2.

These "normal" Japanese people were supporting a militarist regime that slaughters other people and invades other countries and by "trying to get by" they are indirectly sponsoring massive wars. By focusing on the victimization of the people (which was largely brought by themselves), it completely dodges the moral responsibility and feeds into the "we did nothing wrong" mentality.

By the same logic US today certainly bears no moral responsibility whatsoever on the nukes or any other shit it stirs up.

>two wrongs makes a right

If you kill your enemy, they win.

Really interesting. Didn't think it'd be so successful, been waiting for it for a while because of the art

Story is your typical post war/post nukes wank, desu, nothing you won't find done better somewhere else

Good way to tell me you know nothing about the story

It's about Minami who refuses to a guy and then dies, right?

And then her tomboy niece.

>Of course the Japs would go watch a movie where they paint themselves as the victims of war.
That's literally every WWII japanese movies.

So, you haven't seen pretty much every Vietnam movie.

Even forrest gump shows a mini-gun operator shooting civilians for no fucking reason.

The Japanese always want to make themselves to be the victims while american directors and movie producers can't waste an opportunity to make our troops look bad and PTSD'd to hell.

I'm actually more excited about koe no katachi than your name.

I hope they make an anime to get the bad performance of the movie off the story.

>Even forrest gump shows a mini-gun operator shooting civilians for no fucking reason.
Huh? I thought that was Full Metal Jacket

I mean, Japan lost the war.

They started it

FDR wanted to get involved in the war anyway because he knew it would help the American economy.

It was a political move to get involved, everyone should know this.

Korean killed chink tho

That doesn't change the fact that the japs crossed the ocean blew our shit up, starting the war

>every single civilian including the marginalized ones has to answer for the whims of the statesmen
guess how i can tell you aren't very good at history

Yeah but it doesn't matter, because we nuked them twice and they lost.

It makes a lot more sense for US filmmakers to make "guilt" bait, rather than Japanese filmmakers to make "guilt" bait when they weren't the ones who dropped the nukes.

>implying dropping nukes was worse than the atrocities they commited in mainland asia

Nanking would like an apology.

Japanese women in that wartime were not responsible because they did not have voting rights

I'm not defending Japan during wartime etc. But I really think on the grander scale dropping a nuke on any civilization is quite possibly the worst crime a society can commit.
Nanking was graphically seriously disturbing, but is it really worse than killing hundreds of thousands of innocent people?

Maybe we're so desensitized to murder at this point, it doesn't really matter though.

>anime

Never since the target audience is children, but for anyone who wants a Japanese movie that deals with that, check out The Human Condition trilogy. It even stars Nakadai.

If it were an adaptation of Town of Evening Calm, then some more of the shitposting would actually make sense, but it doesn't and it isn't. Looking forward to watching it when I can.

>t.
Fuck off Sup Forums.

>These "normal" Japanese people were supporting a militarist regime that slaughters other people and invades other countries and by "trying to get by" they are indirectly sponsoring massive wars

>be this user
>has beautiful waifu and a stable job during tough time
>Too busy with his job to maintain his position to have time with waifu.
>His waifu left him for his rich boss
>Is bitterly cucked, but he couldn't do anything about it.
>He could have get his waifu back, but too bad he's just "trying to get by."

Japan is one of the most emasculated advanced nations. I don't think they make this shit to make other people sorry for them, more like sorry for themselves. I mean the manga author certainly didn't think she would have this much exposure when she originally did the story.

It's more like their army started it, which wasn't entirely overlapping with their central government.

> dropping a nuke on any civilization is quite possibly the worst crime a society can commit.

ROFL

Hiroshima wasn't even as deadly as the firebombing of Tokyo m8.

>ROFL
Not him, but arguably the long term suffering and death over long periods of time and over generations does a real fucking number on people. Counting it in lives is just idiotic.

Isn't there a a regulation for burgers that they can't make their military look too bad or something?

Wasn't that because the US was already embargoing their shit?

Is this the anime that Anno said was garbage?

All I know is if the film is as good as the song, I think it'll be a really good film.

youtube.com/watch?v=C8IYZkoWodE

>american directors and movie producers can't waste an opportunity to make our troops look bad and PTSD'd to hell.
And there are as much military glorified film of American heroism, which voiced louder than their pessimism of war. Do you really expect the common public would care anything about the loser's point of view.

American rarely voice their guilt for anything, and that is a cultural fact.

>starting the war
War was there for years, you just joined when the toughest time passed and allies did all the dirty work.

That's your problem. It has nothing to do with Japan and it's good they don't soil the achievements, deeds and sacrifices of their ancestors. Just because "we" here in the West piss on our blood, forgot where we came from and do the opposite of honouring our ancestors actions doesn't mean the Japanese need to do the same.
Not that this is even correct, your impression of the average Japanese connection with this topic seems totally wrong.

Thanks OP, I heard of this movie months ago, but I forgot what name it had.

You're not supposed to.

I think the manga tells a different narrative. It shows how the population is mostly brainwashed into believing Japan's victory is assured, and asked to sacrifice everything for their country. And yet in the end, after loosing their loved ones in the front lines and enduring bombardment after bombardment, the government surrenders, the American demons arrive... and the live continue as if the war had never happened. If something the manga shows the complete disconcert of the Japanese population, being completely lost and directionless after the war, while wondering what was the purpose of all the misery they have suffered for years.

you haven't bombed hard enough yet

same shit with hollywood garbage

Doraemon or Yokai watch easily can

Yeah as if that removes Amerifats guilt

t. trumptard

>US today certainly bears no moral responsibility
Civilians of-course don't. Are you retard?

>mainstream franchises

Doraemon is more maistream than OP or Conan

>embargo=/=Blockade
You can't declare war and attack a country simply because they refuse to do business with you.

No. Freedom of speech.
The directors or writes can make whatever the hell they want.
Depending how far they go, the people may criticize them and push back. The military, especially the troops, are highly respected here. So, directors have to be careful.

The only thing the Japanese did wrong was not completely wiping out the Korean and Chinese.

really?
Have you seen Heaven and Earth (1993) about a vietnamese women who fights for the vietcong and ends up in a relationship with a drunk beating marine husband?

How about Letters to Iwo Jima?

All these are American movies from the perspective of the losers. The Japs could never bring themselves to admit their mistakes and make us look human like in any of their films.

Even the movies that glorified American Heroism have underlying pacifist themes, and show the negative impacts of war combat on the troops.

Reflecing on our past mistakes, does not mean that we have to disrespect our ancestors.

I'm very much against the potrayal of marines by movies produced by Oliver stone and the like, but let's not kid ourselves and act like mistakes weren't made in that time.

The war brought tremendous strains in our society.

Japan went to a war that pretty much destroyed their society. They had to restart under a hugely western and American made society. From suffrage to educational reforms.

I want Sup Forums to leave.

by the same logic, do "normal" U.S. people bear moral responsibility on Iraq War? for sure they are indirectly sponsoring the war...but i see everyone blames Bush, not themselves.

No it isn't. There are plenty of American movies that actually deal with moral conflicts and dilemmas that troops have to go through. Fears of injustices and war crimes being committed. Whether they did the right thing or not, PTSD, etc.

Jap movies are literally children walking through destroyed cities crying for their mommies, while the evil americans are bombing their shit.
Their movies always start in 1940 and either skip the entire 5 years or only show small instances where the Americans bombed their shit.

I have yet to see a japanese movie where you actually see troops going through combat, invading shit and killing people. Going through the dilemmas that you normally see in other movies.

City of life and death, letter to iwo jima, and the like. Are american and Chinese productions not japanese by the way.

American military gives Hollywood military hardware so that their movies are cheaper in exchange that they're not allowed to make the military look bad.

Hollywood can make whatever they want, but they'll have to procure their own tanks and shit.

What about The Thin Red Line