Storytime: Yu-Gi-Oh! - Road to Darkside of Dimensions

Since there's a new YGO movie releasing next month here in the west, I thought it would be cool to dump the original manga which the movie is based off of. For those of you who only ever watched the anime, I highly recommend reading the manga as it's much darker and better written than the anime was imo. There's also none of the fillers you have to deal with. Since the movie is releasing on Jan 27, 2017, I will dump one volume a day leading up to its release.

Today we continue Battle City in Volume 18!

Other urls found in this thread:

dailymotion.com/video/x57ff7f_yu-gi-oh-the-dark-side-of-dimensions-eng-dub-preview-from-crunchyroll_shortfilms
m.youtube.com/watch?v=wJhoDoTZuYI
youtube.com/watch?v=uuHW9wpVZQs
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

1st time I ever caught this thread live. Are you doing Yugioh R after Battle City? Is it even canon?

Chapter 152

No plans to do R at the moment. I don't consider it canon.

I think that artist just liked long leggy women. Anzu was drawn with a very short skirt and long legs throughout the entire YGO R manga.

Yugi's deck is way more consistent in Battle City than it was in DK. It actually feels like it's the same deck in every duel. The anime just continued to throw in random cards, especially with Doma.

What a shocker, paper cards can be easily replicated.

New DSoD sneak peeks
dailymotion.com/video/x57ff7f_yu-gi-oh-the-dark-side-of-dimensions-eng-dub-preview-from-crunchyroll_shortfilms
m.youtube.com/watch?v=wJhoDoTZuYI

Chapter 153

The entire city for a 48 man tourney?
That's barely bigger than a locals and much smaller than a regionals.

>Yugi is hot now
>Anzu actually flirting with Yugi
>The dub music is in

Meh, 2/3 ain't bad

But these are Kaiba approved duelists.

The Yugi/Anzu scene in dub sucks compared to japanese version especially that godawful dub music

youtube.com/watch?v=uuHW9wpVZQs

I never understood the whole "you can't attack on the same turn you fusion summon a monster" thing. Especially since almost every duel after it ignored it with the Quick Attack card

Chapter 154

I think it's based off the summoning sickness rule from MtG since the author is fond of that game. Anime probably thought that was too boring for kids so they included that quick attack card to show the monsters in action.

>each player may play one card
Mistranslation? Because they break the rule the very next page.

That was a quick win.

Chapter 155

Honestly, I prefer the version in the anime where the Rare Hunter is forced to play one of the Legs of Exodia to not lose and then Yugi activates the trap.

Face-down isn't considered "playing". You can set as many as you want face-down, except monsters.
I found a bunch of old forums awhile ago. Apparently, people thought this duel was written in response to people playing Exodia decks in real life (You're the weakest!).

That's understandable and all, but then Yugi mentions he can't summon a monster if he puts Chain Destruction face down here

Battle City is when the anime truly shined with the duels.

Chapter 156

Why does Ryuzaki still think he's hot shit when he always loses?

In YGO R they explained it as you can only play 1 magic and 1 trap card in a turn. This adds up with Joey's duel with Roba, where he clearly plays Graceful and Skull dice in the same turn as well as a monster
It's way more consistent in the anime.

Chapter 157

Oh, didn't remember that's Pegasus' murder got actually confirmed in universe.

Chapter 158

Is his sister canon? will she appear in the manga? I remember that the hospital scene was very touching, and I loved the relationship between the sibling a lot.

>Pegasus J. Crawford
The English version used his dub name, though, and these sound effects are definitely Viz. Not that I'm surprised.

>canon
She was mentioned in Duelist Kingdom, and she shows up later, yes.

Chapter 159

>dub music
I thought they were going to leave that shit alone since it's cheeper to leave it in that to put in the dub ost. I want my "Passionate Duelist" and "God's Anger".

Great move by Takahashi to show the new tribute mechanic by using Jo's clumsiness

They're using songs from the dub, just like how the movie uses songs from the Japanese dub. The difference is that the English version will just be redone, while the Japanese version was orchestral.
It's the same as the new Digimon movies using the English theme instead of the awesome remixes. Come to think of it, if Dragon Ball was still being marketed to kids, those two movies would probably have had their score replaced with rock music.