Hayao Miyazaki's 76th Birthday

since it's his birthday, lets discuss his work, including my personal Favorite film, Lupin III: Castle of Cagliostro. the guy has been working in animation for over 50 years. what does he mean to you? What do you like the best? What was the 1st thing of his you ever watched?

also Nausicaa is shit. stick to the manga.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=VO6_LBYWgU4
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I like the one with the dead children.

since when is tortoro about dead children?

really am amazed there wasn't a thread already dedicating this man. Even Sup Forums would at least acknowledge him on his birthday.

will keep thread alive until midnight. deal with it.

>also Nausicaa is shit.
Except it's not?
Just because the manga is 100x better than the movie, doesn't mean the movie is bad.
The movie is a good feel good fun movie.

There was a thread earlier today, you just weren't looking hard enough.

His birthday was yesterday, why does midnight in a timezone 14-17 hours behind where he's lived his entire life have any significance?

Hard to pick a favorite. I love HMC and PM the most I guess. First one I ever watched was probably Spirited Away.

I'm disappointed that his new caterpillar movie will halt the Match Lock Samurai manga

the movie was boring as fuck and doesnt capture the elements that made the manga so great. also the MC was shit and the ending was stupid as fuck.

the only thing to be disappointed about is the fact the caterpillar movie may end up being CGI instead of ghibli's beautiful hand drawn art like they've been doing since their 1st film. I honestly believe it's an insult especially considering the only animated movies that go to theaters now are CGI with very few exceptions.
>actually liking howl's moving castle.

He's my favourite director. I grew up on Totoro, which is my favourite, but I also adore Wind Rises.

>the MC was shit
What did you just call my waifu?

>the ending was stupid as fuck.
I concede the ending was pretty ridiculous. But the manga was still ongoing, so what do you expect?
I thought it was still climactic enough.

I rate most of his movies pretty low considering looking pretty isn't enough for me if what's actually going on is boring me to death, don't get me wrong the more eventful Ghibli movies are really good but those like Totoro are extremely overrated in my opinion. I feel like Ghibli is the biggest bandwagon in the anime community, people will praise these movies just because everyone else does, in fact it's looked down upon to criticize a Miyazaki film. With all of that said I do respect the obvious passion he has for animation as an art-form, no denying the man is a genius of sorts and has done some amazing work in his career, what he does can be done by such a low percentage of people it's pretty fucking amazing. The man really built a name for himself and I can't help but love him in a way, I also love what Ghibli is rather than the films they make. Animated films that are truly trying to display beauty for the art-form, humans and the world they live in.

Happy birthday, Miyazaki.

Miyazaki's OK but his works pale in comparison to KyoAni's.

He's really good at making movies for normies (or, at least he used to be).

What was wrong with HMC?

Not sure if contrarian or tsundere.

His greatest masterpiece.

Spirited Away is next level, never seen something as beautiful. Everytime I watch it I can look at it with a different frame of mind and get something new.

Can we have one civil Miyazaki thread? At least one on his birthday.

>contrarian
Just an user with an opinion.

you serious?

>never seen something as beautiful.
so then you never watched hunchback of notre dame.

Please apply yourself more if you're going to shitpost.

Fav one is Cagliostro too. Even if assmad lupin fags feel it's shit because he isn't a lecherous dick like on the manga.

I feel like his characters always feel way too similarly characterized, so I always tend to get bored watching his movies.
But if it's one thing he's good at, its creating entire goddamn worlds in the time frame of one movie. I can see why people praise him.

what's so great about miyazaki is you could make arguments about what is the best animated film of the 80's, 90's and 00's, but typically people agree this was the greatest animated film of the 70's and it just happens to be a Miyazaki film. To be known as the best of the decade must be an honor even though the 70's didn't have as many classics with the exception of the 3 Winnie the pooh shorts and robin hood.

In many ways this is a difficult review to write. This is because I’m clearly not the target audience, as Spirited Away is a film that is clearly targeted towards children. In the end, I simply decided to review the film as I normally do and leave a disclaimer about not being the target audience.

I first watched this film 5 years ago during my senior year in high school when a friend of mine was raving about it. Back then I found the film to be boring and feature a paper thin plot. Now 5 years later and a few hundred anime titles later I was compelled to review this. However, since it was 5 years since I viewed the film, I decided to re-watch Spirited Away in preparation for this review as my memory is a bit foggy. After watching it again, I discovered 2 things about Spirited Away. I now know why I forgotten many of the events, thus needed to re-watch it and my perspective about the film really hasn’t changed.

Spirited Away begins with Chihiro’s family moving to their new home. Like any normal 10 years old girl she is quite sadden and angry about leaving her old life (hell anyone would feel this way). Chihiro’s father makes a wrong turn somewhere and decides to take a short cut through the forest. Ok, perfectly normal but what gets me is when they see an abandon building they decided to go in and explore. Next, they go, “oh look food that’s sitting out with no-one around” let eat. The events leading up to Chihiro getting trapped in the fantasy world are way too plot devicy for my taste. However, this isn’t my main complaint about the film, it’s just that the rest is so shallow I can’t really analyze it with much depth. The rest of the story can be summarized by Chihiro get a jobs, does a job, returns something, get freed and goes home. In fact, I’m quite dumfounded as to how they created a 2 hour movie with this plot line.

Hedgehog in the Fog? Man Who Planted Trees?

have you not seen the film. it has some of the best art of any animated film ever. it's absolutely gorgeous.
well as a hardcore Lupinfag, i will admit the film isnt the best representation of Lupin as a character which most people would agree with, but it is the best done film out of all the Lupin films. You could also say that the Lupin in Cagliostro is older and wiser which is why he is more caring and not a dick and a rapist.
you haven't seen the good ones then.

Although, perhaps I’m being too critical with the story and story structure that Spirited Away takes. What I think Spirited Away tries to do is create a magical world in which the viewer can escape to. It tries to take us on an adventure to somewhere very different. That is does, studio Ghibli creates a worlds that is both imaginative and beautiful. I could go on and on about the world but words wouldn’t do it justice. However, something is very wrong when the only major praise I can give is about the fantasy world that is created. They spend way too much time creating and focusing on this world. When I analyze a few scenes I realize how drawn out Spirited Away makes each scene. They could have easily cut 30-40 minutes and have a more focused story. This is how they were able to stretch such a thin plot out for 2 hours.

When reviewing anime I put the most weight on the plot and characters. I’ve already talked about how thin and weak the plot is in the above paragraphs. Sadly the characters don’t fare too much better. Chihiro does grow over the course of the movie and in the end she is a bit stronger and can now face new challenges (i.e. new school, neighborhood, etc). After going through what she went through, I don’t think a new school will faze her. However, there really isn’t much to Chihiro’s character, she’s simply a random girl that happens to go on an inadvertent adventure and becomes a little bit stronger in the end. She feels a bit like an empty shell for the audience to live through. In general, the characterization for the movie feels a bit weak, I mean do we really know these characters? If that’s all there is to these characters, then I have no choice but to conclude that most of them are extremely flat.

Ok now on to the easy part of this review, the technical aspects. It should be no surprise that the animation and art is top notch. This is studio Ghibli and Spirited Away is also a movie so there should be no excuses when it comes to animation. The environments are beautiful and quite vibrant. Characters designs are extremely consistent but I don’t like the designs that Studio Ghibli uses. Not really a negative, just a personal preference. Music, really works to create and accent the magical world of Spirited Away. However, the music is nothing too note worthy, above average I guess. In contrast, the voice work, this is a meh for me in both the English and Japanese, nothing really outstanding or bad. However, there really wasn’t anything in the movie that would require the VAs to show their talent.

As with any Miyazaki films there are themes of environmentalism along with others in particular, greed. Thankfully, these themes and ideas never become the focus or become too blatant. Also, I have to add another audience that Spirited Away may have been targeted to. That would be nostalgic Japanese adults that long for a more traditional setting away from the modern world. In that respects it does a great job however, I’m neither a child nor a Japanese adult disillusioned with the modern world. So it should be no surprise that I’m not very fond of this film, as none of the positives really appeal to me. Those would be the imaginative/magical or nostalgic world of Spirited Away.

Spirited Away is an imaginative and magical world that child will most likely enjoy. In addition, its nostalgic feel will appeal to some Japanese adults. However, it also features a paper thin plot as well as weak characterization. Spirited Away is a nice watch if you want to get away for 2 hours and turn off your brain but it is ultimately shallow and forgettable. Even now after watching it a few hours ago I’m having a hard time remembering the details.

hedgehog is a short. man who planted trees came out in the 80's

>Hedgehog in the Fog
Funny you mention that, because Yuri Norstein and Miyazaki are good friends.
youtube.com/watch?v=VO6_LBYWgU4

Future Boy Conan is his magnum opus

Short films are films

>no english subtitles
what an asshole. Tf am I suppose to do with this.

you seperate short films and films though. it's called categorizing. If we didn't, then everything would just be called art.

No one does that in animation, where short films are more prominent and usually more artistically relevant than features

Those are some hot opinions and I happen to disagree with most of them.

>No one does that in animation
except we do.

You, maybe

since when do you not categorize short films and feature length animated films as 2 separate things.that literally makes no sense. that's like comparing music and podcasts. they are 2 totally different things with 2 totally different purposes.

That's a bullshit analogy

Except it really isn't. I don't even understand the point of your original post. What were you trying to get at?

I've been going through his filmography lately. Before that, I only had distant memories of viewing Totoro and Spirited Away when I was young. By rewatching most of his movies, I've really come to appreciate his work. It also helped me understand why he enjoys so much mainstream success. It might sound corny, but his movies are some of the most heartwarming I've ever seen. Animated or otherwise.

how is he still alive? he's now 76 and smokes like a chimney.

Hopefully his last

That's pretty fucked up user. He's never done anything to personally affect your life.
Why would you wish death upon a stranger?

no one really talks about miyazaki's tv work. Sherlock Hound was dope and the 1st Lupin series is one of the greatest anime series ever made especially at a time where anime was mostly shitty and formulaic.

>1st Lupin series
Takahata directed most of green jacket, though,

he steals takahata's life energy.

no takahata co-directed with Miyazaki for the second half of the first series.

He's become a jaded old man that believes everyone but him is doing animation wrong.
Not to mention he's an attention-whore, constantly coming in and out of retirement.

He's in his own universe, filmically. One of the only anime directors who can hold their own as great in the larger scope of world cinema. He's made some very special movies.

>He's become a jaded old man
yes
>believes everyone but him is doing animation wrong.
which is true. most anime is cliche's and fan service made for stupid people
>Not to mention he's an attention-whore
like the rest of us
>constantly coming in and out of retirement
not a bad thing.

You have never actually read anything he's said, his complaints about the industry are very agreeable.

Cagliostro was also his best film though

It's a fantastic film, but it's not a great Lupin film.

Conan is a masterpiece, and his work on Lupin and WMT is likewise impressive. Lots of people only tend to care about Ghibli Miyazaki, but he was doing great work with Toei Doga and Tokyo Movie Shinsha too.

Sorry, I forgot anime was a patricians hobby.

I agree completely but of course films are subjective so you obviously have dumbshits who'll say spirited away or princess monoke is his best film. it's better to avoid making comments to avoid arguments. I've learned it's just not worth it.

Are the other ones better? This is a legitimate question because That would be great for me.

Miyazaki is good enough that I could accept any of his films as best with a good enough argument behind it.

>One of the only anime directors who can hold their own as great in the larger scope of world cinema.
I feel like this is why so many people on Sup Forums resent him so much. A lot of other experienced and talented directors like Dezaki, Tomino, Oshii, and even Takahta receive a fraction of the recognition Miyazaki gets.

it is if you look at it from an aging prospective. Lupin throughout most of his adventures is rather young whereas Lupin in Cagliostro is 10 years older which is stated in the film. he would of been in his mid 30's becoming middle age. If you look at it like that then it's great character development. Plus most of the movies don't have him as a overly perverted killing machine. it's only the manga that goes overboard, so Cagliostro is a natural transition from the 1st and 2nd series as well as the Mamo film which was all the Lupin content that existed at the time. It makes sense he would be more lighhearted and caring.

Deservedly so, for the most part. Not to hate on them - because they ARE talented and experienced - but Takahata aside if you were to compare those folks with the likes of Bergman or Fellini or Welles, you'd get laughed out the room. With Miyazaki (and Takahata) you can make that comparison. They're that good. Their movies transcend the smaller scope of "anime." I think the resentment comes from a reaction towards his perceived diss on modern anime, and for easy contrarian cred. They're like, shitty western pandering normie movies man.

there are BETTER Lupin films yes, but Cagliostro is the best film in general. Lupin has tons of really amazing films including
Mystery of Mamo
Legend of the Gold Babylon
Fuma Conspiracy (which closely resembles Cagliostro Lupin)
Hemingway Papers
Missed by a Dollar
In Memory of Walther P38

Cagliostro is just the best film from a technical standpoint, but there is plenty of films that better represent Lupin's personality.

Cagliostro was so fucking aesthetic. Miyazaki is a fucking juggernaut of an artist, animator and director.

that's an interesting thing about Lupin. the franchise is widely known for having some of the most beautiful art in backgrounds ever even without the Cagliostro film.

I wish I had some examples of the recent Lupin series, because the art in it was mind blowing. extremely detailed, and so much color.

even the upcoming film has potential to be up there with some of the other great looking Lupin movies.

It's just not very in character.

Koike on Lupin is such a blessing. Heals the burns from every other disappointing modern Lupin project.

I don't know, Oshii is pretty revered for Ghost in the Shell alone (Innocence was nominated for a Palme d'Or). But yeah, I can't think of any director who predominately worked on TV series being known by people who aren't already into animation.

To be frank, I never liked Miyazaki's involvement with Lupin. The episodes he directed in the anime looked gorgeous, but they felt more like "Miyazaki's female character & the Lupin Gang" than actual Lupin.

And the Cagliostro movie started out great, but the middle really loses me, and Lupin as a character seems terribly off.

I don't even know if I'd call it the Lupin Gang, they've all got a sort of Ghibli niceness to them that's out of character for the more gritty cast. Especially Fujiko, it seems like she's doing things out of the goodness of her heart, which is weird.

Oshii certainly has the directing chops but I feel that his films are too steeped in genre fiction. I think maybe Kondo or Kon could have been great if they were still with us, but again, film directors. I don't think I could name a TV director on that level either.

Anyone who doesn't think that Porco Rosso isn't the best Miyazaki movie is allowed to have their own opinion, but I disgree.

Porco Rosso really makes me happy.

Or more simply, Miyazaki and Takahata were film directors, whereas others were primarily TV directors working on big franchises. The fact that people are comparing hacks like Hosoda or Shinkai to the Ghibli founders is an embarrassment, especially when you compare their level of skill to Dezaki or Oshii or hell even Tomino.

I am with you user. The climax is easily God-tier. Still sad about the ending tho.

Today

Spirited Away, Castle of Cagliostro, and Princess Mononoke are top tier. I think just under that is Porco Rosso. HMC and Nausicaa I think are really good in some way, but also really deeply flawed.

Although it's likely my childhood memories talking and I wouldn't like it as much now as an adult, Spirited Away has always been a special movie in my mind.

I remember it as feeling otherworldy. It was a perfect mixture of curious discoveries, some fear of the unknown, the value of hardwork, a childhood relationship, and the bittersweetness of letting it all go.

I saw it at a time of my life where I really didn't understand things (or think I did) and therefore the novelty of it all left a lasting impression on me.

I guess the bittersweet ending where she realized she was the only one who knew what happened, and that maybe it was all a dream, wrapped the story up perfectly.
It truly felt like some of those deep dreams I had as a kid, where you almost think it actually happened.

alcatraz was pretty good as well as the first conan crossover. the only issue I have with most of the Lupin movies from the past 15 years or so is they have thh same kind of artsyle which is decent art, but it's one of the reasons why a lot of people get many of them confused with one another. With Koike Lupin, the art is very different in a good way which you can tell apart from all other Lupin films. I wonder if they will allow him to do a Lupin series since 2017 is the 50th anniversary of the Lupin franchise.
the second half of the green jacket series had all the best episodes though. He actually gave the characters personality and made the stories more fun. Also Cagliostro is great from beginning to the end. I find it really odd how many people complain about Lupin doesnt have that much grit in the film, when he doesn't throughout most of the films and shows. aside from the manga I dont see where people get this idea that Lupin is a edgy character.
Miyazaki hate Porco Rosso.
How is Castle in the Sky? I feel no one talks about it yet it's really highly rated on most sites. Need to watch it at some point.

So on the subject of Lupin Im going through the blue jacket series and liking but

Did we just get an episode where Zenigata was treated with respect and not as a giant joke? He was actually able to get one up on Lupin and the gang.

That's wonderful!

>How is Castle in the Sky? I feel no one talks about it yet it's really highly rated on most sites. Need to watch it at some point.

Great to watch one time. I especially liked it as a kid. It is beautiful, but I like it a little less as an adult.

After the horrendous characterization he got in Mine Fujiko to iu Onna, it was nice seing Blue Jacket get it mostly right.

The times when Zenigata manages to be competent in the second series were some of my favorites.

I really only know much of the Red Jacket series where he frankly gets treated like a Hana Barbara cartoon

love episodes where Lupin and zenigata show some love for one another. recently watched the Alcatraz movie where they had a great moment where Lupin was in a jail cell. was great

>Mine Fujiko to iu Onna
im not use to people calling it by the Japanese name.
he's a bumbling fool but still manages to be a great detective and is the only person alive who could catch Lupin. I think saying he's just a full on hannah barbara character isnt really fair

>Miyazaki hate Porco Rosso.
source?

Miyazaki hates everything

he says so in the one documentary. kingdom of dreams and madness. its on netflix. even calls the film foolish.

Is there an upload of translated versions of Starting Point and Turning Point anywhere?

Thank you! I feel like I'm insane talking to others about Miyazaki and Ghibli's work. I want to like it so bad, but it's usually very boring. What films would you recommend?