Mononoke Hime

Just marathoned this, I thought it was really interesting, but I didn't really get what the point was. It seems like it was just another "le environment!!11!1" movie. Is it really overrated or am I just stupid? I mean it was a pleasure to watch but I never really cared much for any of the characters.

The music video in the beginning about the future police and the angel honestly would have made a much better movie.

>marathoned
fuck off faggot that is a shit meme

>marathoned
Stop.

>but I didn't really get what the point was.
Three extreme ideologies are all fighting each other. Ashitaka is thrown in the middle of it all. Despite their different ideologies, each side eventually leads to the same action of fighting. Ashitaka is the only character without an allegiance and therefore is able to see that all the sides are wrong to fight.

Then there's a whole hunting the god deer sub plot that ends up trumping the main plot at the end. Ruining what was otherwise a good story about accepting differences in others.

>go see mononoke in theaters because of the anniversary or whatever
>nobody recognizes on your mark
>movie is subbed
>theater starts to smell like sweat halfway through

>one movie
>marathon
how casual

The shitty Deer God plot also delivers a Deus Ex machina good ending, saving Miyazaki from having to actually address the issues the whole first half was about.
As a whole, the movie really isn't very good.

>Then there's a whole hunting the god deer sub plot that ends up trumping the main plot at the end

Makes sense, that might be what confused me. At first it was about healing the curse, then it was about brokering peace between the wolves and the humans, then it was about a bunch of different wars, and then they had to save the forest. This would have been fine if any of the characters were interesting, but they were boring for the most part. I feel like this movie didn't really know what it wanted to be.

Welcome to Miyazaki films.

I don't follow your critisisms. Plenty of Miyazaki movies don't have the flaws Mononokehime does. Movies like Laputa, Kiki, Porco and Whisper of the Heart don't really have any flaws I can see.

Was thinking of Howl's Moving Castle, which also felt like it changed pace a few times.

Well that movie definitely is flawed. Not surprising since it changed its production crew halfway through and Miyazaki basically had to save it.

Nah, Spirited Away has most of the same problems but it was okay because the MC was really cute.

MH's problem is very simple: if everyone were cuter, the movie would be better.

Gotta love how the curse plot, which lasted the whole fucking movie, just got hand-waved away with pretty much no explanation or resolution.

Just read on Wikipedia that it hasn't been released in America. I feel bad for looking at my phone for the first half of it now.

Forest spirit had an amazing design

>draw a deer, but give it a man's face. THEN make it creepy.

The cleavage on the village wives was ridiculous. What was Miyazaki thinking!?

He made too many movies about little girls so this movie was all an elaborate ruse to make sure everyone thinks he's not a lolicon.

what rank would you anons place mononoke in terms of best ghibli romance?

He was being somewhat accurate as they didn't wear bras back then. But he was also making the villagers seem like the Japanese version of hicks.

>romance
Absolutely dead last. Ashitaka has zero reason to like Sen except some weak physical attraction. Which completely doesn't fit with everything else about his character.

The romance wasn't exactly the strength of the movie.
MC arrived in that placed, crushed hard on San, then kept trying to get close to her until she "loved" him back.

"i like you"
"splendid, i shall return for the occasional conjugal visit"
FIN

>romance

>romance
Pretty much all of San's dialogue towards Ashitaka consisted of "I HATE HUMANS" and "I'm a special snowflake wolfkin" Meanwhile, Ashitaka had absolutely no reason to even like her, let alone love. It seemed like he just felt sorry for her.

>first plot but then another plot me confuse and disappoint
Am I in Sup Forums? Is it really that hard to follow the movie?

Kill yourself

>marathoned
okay

>Is it really overrated or am I just stupid? I mean it was a pleasure to watch but I never really cared much for any of the characters.
It was good and had a coherent plot, decent art, and concluded nicely. 8/10 even 9/10 for me, not sure about your standards. Character-wise there was decent development for most of the characters, so not sure what you're talking about.

>The music video in the beginning about the future police and the angel honestly would have made a much better movie.
I have no idea what you're talking about at this point.

It's not hard to follow, it's just muddled and refuses to actually address the issues the movie spends most of the time on.
>first half: all these groups have their needs; their needs put them into a seemingly inevitable conflict with each other
>last third: instant grass solves everything

>instant grass solves everything
It didn't. Try writing something intelligent.

>Try writing something intelligent.
Maybe you should learn to read context, as he was mocking the ending with his instant grass comment. Not saying it actually fixed anything.

Multiple characters in the film suggest that the deer god can probably lift his curse. Maybe you should pay attention.

Most overrated, soulless and worst Miyazaki's movie

He should demonstrate an understanding of what he's mocking before it can be considered intelligent.

Even though you're shitposting the instant grass doesn't 'solve' anything. For all intents and purposes the humans 'win' in the sense of that what few gods remain are still on their way to extinction, the iron town people are able to recognize after you know having everything burned to the ground that perhaps their lust for dominance ended up destroying all their progress and that, in the future, they should probably try and seek some balance with the environment. The damage is done though, they just have to pick up the pieces, it's a melancholy ending with a dash of optimism.

But yes hurrdurr everything's solved I don't pay attention.

>marathoned
>a single movie

Kill yourself

>Even though you're shitposting
No I'm not?

>the instant grass doesn't 'solve' anything.
Holy shit, that's exactly what I pointed out. If anyone is shit posting, its you.

Not that guy, but the problem is that there IS no lasting damage. The ironworkers leave to rebuild the same settlement somewhere else (doing literally the same thing, because metalworking used to require a shitload of wood), the environment got fixed by magic, greedy feudal lords are still greedy, the emperor is still doing nonsensical emperor things, San still hates humans, and so on. The movie wasted two hours to ultimately say absolutely nothing.
>For all intents and purposes the humans 'win' in the sense of that what few gods remain are still on their way to extinction
Great, except the movie communicates this message fully in the first 20-30 minutes. The rest of the movie ends us serving no point whatsoever.

*ends up

My favorite part about it is how the movie almost always went silent whenever it appeared. Did a good job making a god actually feel godly.

>theater went 100% silent in those scenes
Kinda nice.

It is the only movie he has made with a somewhat cohesive plot.
Ponyo was shit.
OP you are probably retarded.

>marathoned
"le environment!!11!1"
>am I just stupid?
You are

>it was really interesting
>seems like it was just another "le environment!!11!1"
>Is it really overrated or am I just stupid?

It's not. You just said you really liked it...

What happened to wolf clan? Did it go extinct?

Easily one of Miyazaki's most under appreciated works for that reason! I was completely blown away that they included it though and I really hope it gets released as a special feature if they do a new edition of a Mononoke or other Ghibli dvd.