Is there an updated list yet Sup Forums?

Yeah, here you go.

Cancer

I forgot how much puppetshit was in that image.

Yeah, good 'ol Kawamoto.

I don't know how old this is

how many charts are there anyway

Five Kawamoto and only one Yamamura is pretty indefensible imo

>Tomorrow's Joe 2
>No Ashita no Joe 1 on the list

This list was made by a faggot.

>Sonic man of the year part 1 (other parts were unreleased
I explicitly remember watching an ENDING to that on Sonic Jam.

>inb4 shows only Sup Forums watched like Rakugo and Flip Flap gets on these charts

Rakugo was top tier anime

It's based on the 2003 Laputa list.

I think it's fine, Mt. Head is imo his first truly fantastic film. The list predates Kafka and Muybridge.

user, both of those are about ten thousand times more widely-watched than a lot of the shit on these charts.

Fuck off, Famicom.

>implying Sup Forums would now make a chart that is up to date for 2016

Why not though? The chart is supposed to expand the horizon of the person following it. Might aswell go for something slightly more niche. And those were two amazing shows.

If someone just wanted Re:Zero recommended to the they can get that from any other site.

Tsumiki no Ie was made after Contry Doctor and Old Crocodile

Well shoot, I guess the maker is a faggot after all. At least Kafka deserves a spot, it's a masterpiece.

This is the first time I've seen this chart posted that wasn't the original or me. Maybe you saved my post? :3

I keep thinking about recommendation charts, how I'd make one.
I don't think Sup Forums makes recommendation charts anymore, and the mods may not even allow it. But I love the threads for making them, it's great discussion. And I hope it happens again.

Since this chart there has only been one year, though. So may not be much to add.

There was also one chart made that only covers 2011-2015, to be used in addition to the old ones. It's not very widespread, but it was posted to Reddit, so maybe you can find it there. Or try searching the archives for recommendation chart threads on /wsr/ and Sup Forums, I know I've shared it at least once, and maybe someone else too.

That is a top tier chart.

>:3
Kill yourself. This thread belongs on

What do you guys use to make those?

paint

>GTO
worst meme i've fell for in ages.

We should add a slot for Isekai

wait why the fuck is mushishi listed psychological

I don't think that's right. I asked before, but I can't remember the answer.

I want to make a recommendation chart, but I haven't seen enough anime! I need to control the quality of what's on other lists, unless there's a strong consensus, and charts also often misgenre series, so that's also something that needs to ve fixed.

It is mostly, I would probably do some things differently if I made it now but I wouldn't have the motivation anymore. I just wanted to encourage more of Sup Forums to try some shit they wouldn't usually consider really.

There is a longer version here that someone put into order for me with some extra stuff added in.

I used Scribus.

It's true these charts tend to be biased against stupid, uncultured anime, and maybe some of the trashier genres also deserve some representation with many different anime. These charts tend to be heavy on the deeper, more demanding anime compared to what's popular and most commonly made. So it's worth thinking about. Maybe a "self insert" genre instead of just isekai. Keep Escaflowne in fantasy, and add the generic harems and isekai in the self insert genre?

It's an updated version of a much older, and way more popular (and way worse, seriously, romance: Air, Kanon, Love Hina...), version. The original had many misgenreings and bad anime, it may be a holdover.

Still too much puppetshit but it's a good chart and if were not so pleb those shows would be watched

Does anyone know if the is an English version of this list anywhere yet? I was going to do one but its pointless if it already exists.

Toshiyuki Inoue and someone else did it Janica and traces the history of the evolution of animations style in from Kumo to Tulip up to fairly recent.

I think the vast majority of Kawamoto stuff was on the Laputa list, the Japanese animators particularly generally seem to have great respect for his work.

I have a lot of ideas for the ultimate recommendation chart, which should require overlapping too. Don't know if that program supports that?
Anyway, my computer broke so everything I do I have to do on my phone, can't make charts now.

One plan was to make CGDCT its own genre under SoL, and have only 10 anime in each genre. And what I do do is thinking a lot about what 10 anime to put in CGDCT, and almost finished. I just need to control the quality of the old '00s anime. Does Ichigo Mashimaro really hold up, or was it just included for the novelty of CGDCT at the time, and is outclassed by stuff like Yuru Yuri today? There are some that need to be controlled like that.
Plans so far: Azumanga Daioh, Lucky Star, K-On, Non Non Biyori, Sora no Woto, Tamayura. Then probably Hidamari Sketch and maybe a few others from the 2000s, when I've controlled their quality. And maybe one more post K-On one. Aria is just too different, and I'd prefer just place it in SoL, unless I need to balance numbers between the genres.

Have you even seen any of Kawamoto's films?

All but Restaurant of Many Orders

Stop recommending bad shows

>outclassed by stuff like Yuru Yuri today
No one with this mindset should be making a rec chart. You can't even remember that Ichimashi is amazing?

I'm not sure what you mean by overlapping but if you mean putting pictures onto of each other then it should do? I just made textboxes on a grid and image boxes on a grid. That said Ichigo Mashimaro is fantastic and outclasses almost everything else mentioned in that post.

And you're still not a fan? Strikes me as weird, but there's no accounting for taste. At the very least he's well regarded enough to have earned his spot on a chart like that.

>Gamba no Bouken will never be translated
;_;

I go by consensus. I didn't find Sora no Woto to be amazing, but lot of people do, it's unique, and has a tradition of being on recommendation charts, so I think it's fine. The only shows I mentioned that aren't on the OP chart are Lucky Star, Tamayura and Yuru Yuri. And I never said Yuru Yuri is amazing, it was just a comparison for the possible quality of Ichigo Mashimaro. Lucky Star is still a good show, and also had a significant cultural impact. Which is also something that plays in, in addition to quality. Otherwise, Gundam 79 wouldn't be on the chart. And Tamayura is good.

Pick the consensus of people with better taste

He deserves a spot but not more spots than any other artist like he has now
>in addition to quality. Otherwise, Gundam 79 wouldn't be on the chart
Holy shit kill yourself. 0079 rocks

Don't you fucking compare the influence of Lucky Star to Gundam

Charts are made based on consensus not on the opinion of special of a few snowflakes.

>Charts are made based on consensus

Yes, it's on Google.

*bad charts are made based on consensus
And the consensus of who? Fucking us? Reddit? MAL? Are you serious?

>No Shinsekai Yori
>No Tatami Galaxy
>No Ping Pong
>No Kaiji
>No LOTGH
>a bunch of shitty movies that only get praise because they are old
Garbage pretentious chart

>I want to make a recommendation chart, but I haven't seen enough anime!
Then why the fuck would you make a list?

There's this, which I assume is just an elaboration of the same thing? I don't speak nip.

It can be the consensus of Sup Forums or any other place, it still would hold more credibility than the opinion of one person.

>No Shinsekai Yori
>No Tatami Galaxy
>No Ping Pong
>No Kaiji
user, that chart is based on a list created before any of those aired.

Generic story and premise. Bad animation. Average direction. It doesn't stand out in any way. Just pick any Gundam ripoff, and it's probably better. I haven't seen it, but I bet Dragonar BTFOs Gundam in terms of quality.
I interpret the Gundam entry a bit as a general recommendation of the franchise, though. I was planning to have an area at the bottom which gives information about confusing things for different anime, like a mini Gundam guide to the good stuff and explaining how to watch Haruhi. Gundam would probably just be listed as Gundam, and telling people to read the bottom.
If I am to reduce each genre to 10 anime, can't give Gundam 5 out of the 10 mecha slots.

This chart predates those, also pull your head outta your ass.

> Charts are made on consensus
> MFW

Charts are made based on the whim of whoever the fuck makes them.

Charts are made based on whatever the chart maker wants. But any consensus chart is bound to be horrid. Most people aren't very smart. If you try and recommend stuff based on their opinions, you're going to be recommending bad shows.

Right, but they are edited and the person who does It generally puts shows there regardless of his personal opinion anyway.

>I want to make the ultimate recommendation chart
>I haven't actually seen the anime I'm going to include, though, I'm just basing it on random general opinions I picked up
>also there will only be 10 anime per genre
Don't make a chart at all, it'll just be redundant trash.

>Most people aren't very smart. If you try and recommend stuff based on their opinions, you're going to be recommending bad shows.
>Everyone is dumb except me the post
Your posts reeks of pseudo intellectualism.

Regardless, taste is subjective. Things that you consider good or smart may be boring and shitty to someone else and you have absolute no way to prove his opinion wrong.

The plan was more genres, but fewer for each. Which gives a more accurate description of the anime. For example, I'd split fantasy into fantasy world with world building, and magic, like CCS and Princess Tutu. Sports may get 20 instead, unless I can find a natural way to split it.
Overall, the charts would include more anime than this one, and placed in more accurate genres. But some would have to be cut. I'm looking at Tytania.

Yeah thats pretty much the same thing with extra new stuff added on the end not by Inoue. Don't really like the additions post 2000 to be honest. They don't have anything about significant movements like webgen animation. Monster seems out of place not sure what Code Geass is doing there or why Trigger is a seperate branch from stuff like Diebuster and TTGL.

You can cry subjective all you like, but your chart will never be useful.

There's no point in making a chart of the "consensus." Newfags can find that out from lurking. A rec chart should come from people who've seen lots of obscure, good shit. Not a casual like you

Welcome to 2017 Sup Forums, where people want to have an opinion despite not actually knowing anything about the topic in question.

As a word of advice to chartanon who thinks he's going Sup Forums a favor, lurk more and watch more anime before you feel the need to share your opinion. You sound incredibly new, what with your belief that you're making the "ultimate" recommendation chart. If you'd lurked for any amount of time, you'd realize that there are already plenty of rec charts out there and ALL of them have contain the shows that you think are worthy of being recommended. I recommend that you either create a chart of "lesser-known" shows (although this would require actually watching more than 10 shows) or don't bother at all, because your notion of creating a chart by committee is incredibly misguided, not to mention redundant.

Do people like this actually exist? Feel like someone with this sort of taste wouldn't be on Sup Forums at the very least.

>A rec chart should come from people who've seen lots of obscure, good shit
*tips fedora*

I'm not trying to make a chart though, just pointing out how clueless you are for thinking that there's any objectivity about taste in anime.

Yes, hello.

That's not an Sup Forums list (it's some international animators' festival poll from the 00s), but if the taste of that one fucking TMSfag who made the edit can exist, then nothing surprises me. Seriously, that chart is baffling on so many levels.

Where would they go instead? Sup Forums is awful but unless you've learned Japanese it's as good as it gets

There's nothing fedora-ish about that, nigger. Good recommendation charts include good obscure stuff, obviously. People who've seen good obscure stuff make those charts, also obviously.

I don't give a fuck about the philosophy behind it, bad anime is bad anime, just like Grown Ups is a bad film and socks with sandals is bad fashion.

I made the list from another list but have watched and enjoyed almost everything there and still come to Sup Forums sometimes.

Famicom is a nutcase.

2017 and elitism is now "fedora" on Sup Forums.

Friendly reminder if you have lurked less than 2 years before posting and have under 300 anime completed (not counting movies or OVAs) then you should not be posting, let alone creating charts recommending anything to others.

You need to include some things that everyone have seen too. It gives validation to the more obscure ones. When people see Cowboy Bebop on the chart, they'll recognize that it's a chart that they can use. If it's nothing but obscure stuff nobody's heard about, they'll dismiss it as a hipster troll chart. You need some they know too.

He's right though, most people on Sup Forums don't have an informed enough opinion to make a meaningful contribution if you are trying to make a chart that is actually decent.

Which invariably results in charts nobody likes. You have to realise that charts made based on the consensus of a bunch of anons brings with it many more problems than a chart simply made by a single dedicated and experienced person.

>who knows the background of these people, how many shows/ movies/ ova have they watched?
>underrated and overlooked shows that could severly benefit from such charts get drown out in favor of shows everyone has seen
>only depicts the opinion of the anons at that time, this can change drastically over time, making the goal of an "ultimate" chart impossible
>allows for shitposting to get in your chart, again making your goal of an ultimate chart void, see Problem Child 2 and The Pest on Sup Forums
>allows for blind parroting since some shows will be expected to appear, whether they have stood the test of time or not

I don't know why you put such weight on charts or why you think others so, but stop.

charts should be aimed at newfags, why a oldfag need a chart full of obsecure fedora shit or why he would need a chart at all when he already has enough knowledge about good directors, studios, anime or the industry to look out for what he wants?

There's a good reason why charts are generally full of entry level anime that are as regarded as the vast majority of fans as being of quality, because they are aimed at people who are just getting into anime.

You're not really wrong (except for the easy solution of making an explicit "good lesser-known stuff" chart), but that doesn't change anything said. Someone with a low powerlevel making a chart full of consensus choices he's heard about is doing nothing worthwhile.

>that mecha section gives me cancer

>posts a picture a do you remember love? for the tv show
>makes a separate entry for do you remember love?

>not posting the great mecha of all time aquarion evol

ishiggydiggy

Are you aware of how fucking rampant bad taste is in the western anime community? Old or new, most people need a lethal dose of good taste.

Just watch K-On like the rest of us you pretentious faggot

I love K-On it isn't incompatible.

Why, so people can be tricked into watch the shittiest genre in anime?

Nope, those are just arbitrary opinion based on personal perspective, logic and preferences. Try again
I agree with you, but not for the reasons he gave. People need to have seen a good number of shows to be able to make a helpful chart that covers a lot of genres, but they do not need to have some specific kind of opinion or ''intelectuality'' like he was implying.

>most people need a lethal dose of my taste

fixed desu ne

The vast majority of people who've been on Sup Forums more than five years could still stand to be recommended some lesser-known good shit, user. You could lurk Sup Forums for years without hearing about most of the things on or the "obscure" section of , for example, and most people would not accumulate totally-exhaustive knowledge of the industry that would allow them to magically sniff out everything.

K-On is excellent, I think anyone who likes that kinda stuff would like it too.

>Nope, those are just arbitrary opinion based on personal perspective, logic and preferences. Try again
Not him, but you're right, and he's right. They're totally subjective, but who gives a fuck? Subjectivity doesn't imply much of anything practically-speaking. If you enjoy Mars of Destruction and H2O, that's your opinion, but I'll still call you a nigger with bad taste and exclude you from any and all chart-making.

Again, this shit is not about you, it's about what most people regard as being good or being accessible to newcomers.
>Good taste
What is good taste anyway?How do you quantify that? Anime is entertainment and what will entertain you may not entertain someone else. The reasons you like a show may be the same reasons why someone dislikes it and there's no way to say that you or him are wrong, stop trying to pretend there are.

Not him either but I think certain people are much more likely to be able to be more objective in their choices though too. You might not have personally enjoyed show X but you should be able to appreciate that it is a classic of the medium and put it on your chart if that is what you are going for rather than a representation of your personal taste.

>Generic story and premise
I would tell you to go to MAL but even they're too good for you

>If you enjoy Mars of Destruction and H2O, that's your opinion, but I'll still call you a nigger with bad taste and exclude you from any and all chart-making.
Right, but in this case the only reason your opinion about Mars would have more weight than mine is because the anime is universally regarded as being trash, if that was not the case it would just be a case of my opinion against yours.
>Not him either but I think certain people are much more likely to be able to be more objective in their choices though too.
What I was and am trying to say is that when it comes to entertainment ''objective'' opinions are generally based on consensus.
>I do not like Neon Genesis Evangelion but will put in the chart anyway because I recognize It as a good anime
Nope, you will put in a chart because most hardcore fans of the medium consider to be an essential masterpiece and because you were convinced by their arguments. You just recognize It as being good because you either respect the specific elements of it or because the consensus convinced you.

You will never ''recognize'' something as being good despite your dislikeness when no one cares about It

What's so unique about Gundam? Isn't it pretty much the same plot as Nadesico? I don't demand something unique to think it's worthy, the most important part is that it's good. For example, K-On's setting and premise is extremely generic, but it's incredibly well made, a true masterpiece, so it's one of the clearest entries on the chart. But Gundam isn't very well made. It's just generic, with nothing that makes it stand out above other, similar anime.

>What is good taste anyway?
Taste I approve of. I'm not even being sarcastic, that's literally all the term can entail in any meaningful way, and there's nothing wrong about it. Stop thinking that you can't look down on anything subjective, you can.

>Right, but in this case the only reason your opinion about Mars would have more weight than mine is because the anime is universally regarded as being trash, if that was not the case it would just be a case of my opinion against yours.
If I'd never heard anyone else's opinions on the show, and had no clue how it was regarded except by me, and you said you liked it, I'd still call you a faggot and kick you out of chartmaking, because that's MY opinion. This attempt to eliminate the individual from the process is dumb as fuck.

>it is a classic of the medium and put it on your chart

This is one of the worst things you can do for your chart. If you are going to put a show on it, it'd better be for better reasons than "it's considered a classic so I guess I should continue the tradition of parroting this". "Objectively" considering a show for a chart is looking at what a show does right, irregardless of your enjoyment. Quality of animation, function of animation, editing, character development, character depth, sound incorperation, etc. Looking at a show from the perspective of a creator and breaking it apart to see what it does right and wrong. That is the only proper way to "objectively" consider a show for a chart.

>You will never ''recognize'' something as being good despite your dislikeness when no one cares about It
Sorry but you are wrong. You can dislike something and still appreciate that it has been made well and understand why it would appeal to someone who likes that kind of thing unless you lack any self-awareness and skills of self reflection at all.

>Objectively" considering a show for a chart is looking at what a show does right, irregardless of your enjoyment
I was using classic of the medium as shorthand for that I can see how it is unclear though. You've said more eloquently what I was trying to say both here
and in the post your responded to.