Rekt

Miyazaki >>>>>> Hackoto Shinkai
>In speaking with Japanese media outlet News Post Seven, Ishida, who’s won the prestigious Naoki Award for literature and had two of his novels (Ikebukuro West Gate Park and Akihabara@DEEP) adapted into manga, said:

>“I think Makoto Shinkai, the director of Your Name, is good at grasping the emotions of young people. I figure he probably didn’t have any enjoyable romances in his high school days.”

>Ishida went on to say that he thinks that Shinkai channels his imagined ideal of young romance into the anime he creates, and voiced his opinion that “Having a character who’s never had a steady girlfriend or had sex, but who’s still cool, is a fundamental part of a girls’ manga-like world.” And while some have been calling Shinkai “the next Hayao Miyazaki,” Ishida pointed to what he feels is a stark difference between the two anime creators.

>“With Miyazaki and his themes of man versus nature, he packs his work with his own experiences. But with Shinkai, I don’t think he’s really experienced [the things being portrayed in his films].”

>en.rocketnews24.com/2017/01/06/award-winning-novelist-theorizes-director-of-your-name-didnt-have-a-girlfriend-in-high-school/

Other urls found in this thread:

fictionpress.com/s/3206139
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Boy_and_the_Beast#Box_office
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Ishida is a hack

Why is Miyazaki samefagging on Sup Forums so much lately?
Why is he so bothered by what we like? Is he scared he might be remembered only as the grumpy old man that he is?

>I figure he probably didn’t have any enjoyable romances in his high school days.
>didn’t have any enjoyable romances in his high school days.
>didn’t have any enjoyable romances
>romances

You are going all out today with all these Kimi no Na Wa threads
I can tell they're all made by you because the OPs are structured similarly with some article linked and a quote from it
Fucking cancer

tl;dr
>Ishida: lmao virgin

I like how everyone in the industry is talking shit about him, the jealousy is palpable.

>there's another thread with Tomino talking shit about the movie
All we need is Hosoda to add his two cents

>never had an """"""""ideal""""""""" girlfriend (waifu)

Is Shinkai /ourguy/?

>""""""""
Stop that.

Or MIyazaki to finally talk about the film.

Literally who?

Miyazaki you suck dick

>Hosoda

Still rectal wrecked after his latest bara furry movie flopped

He has a point. Did you read the novelization for 5 cm? It was an NTR fest.

Whatever possessed him to make another furry movie right after Wolf Kids? He needs to return to sci-fi

>Having a character who’s never had a steady girlfriend or had sex, but who’s still cool, is a fundamental part of a girls’ manga-like world.
Do Jap girls like mysterious virgins?

Yes. He's making movies about his waifu instead of his 3DPD wife.

>Shinkai responded by saying “I wonder why someone I’ve never even met feels compelled to speak on what experiences I do or don’t have, or the nature of my life, and as though he knows everything about me?"
BTFO. Ishida was just projecting.

What? Most of the shoujo manga I've read have the bad boy who's clearly a non-virgin winning the MC.

>With Miyazaki and his themes of man versus nature, he packs his work with his own experiences. But with Shinkai, I don’t think he’s really experienced [the things being portrayed in his films]

FUCKING THIS
M.A.D
S.A.L.T
B.T.F.O
keit-ai teenagers get the fuck out of my board come back when you have some real experience

Am I supposed to know who this Ishida guy is?

(You)

r/a/nime on suicide watch!

>Am I supposed to know who this Ishida guy is?
as expected of an ignorant teenager
>(You)
go back to Sup Forums you embarrassing fuck

No. Even Shinkai went literally who when he was asked to respond.

Really?
I thought Sup Forums was more on shinkai samefagging ever since the movie release.

If this movie didn't get popular I bet these hacks won't even comment on it.

hacks commenting on the work of a hack? seems fitting hehehe

>hehehe
Ironic shitposting is still shitposting.

>your movie is so good the only argument they could come up with is calling you a virgin
Reply to my post with smug shinkais please

>hey guise am I fit in yet!?

Is this why Shinkai can't into characterisation?

Stop posting that because it's already a thing.

fictionpress.com/s/3206139

ALWAYS

Don't bully Shinkai, he's /ourguy/

>flopped
Stop this meme.

>Literally saying "haha you're a virgin"
How come everyone is so buttblasted about this movie? I haven't watched it, because every shinkai movie while visually stunning is kind of samey regarding themes

Have a (You) senpai.

>Having a character who’s never had a steady girlfriend or had sex, but who’s still cool, is a fundamental part of a girls’ manga-like world.
How are any of Shinkai's male protagonists cool? They're mostly very mellowed down and more often than not depressed with their own existential problems. How's that cool in any way? Shinkai movies are 2deep4 this guy or something?
>But with Shinkai, I don’t think he’s really experienced [the things being portrayed in his films].
Shinkai has never been an adolescent teenager before? Why's this guy projecting so much?

Because "muh Miyazaki"
People don't want to understand Shinkai movies and Miyazaki's are trying to achieve very different things

Suddenly everyone hate shinkai
Can people stop shit talking him? He just wanted to make a cute gender bender movie with good visuals he never pretended that he was making the masterpiece of this century

He just didn't think that people were degenerate enough to enjoy gender bender this much

>Ishida
Literally le who are you

The amount of Shinkaifags' salt in this thread makes me chuckle.

Oldfags is angry because Shinkai's movie is outsold their movie(s).

>But with Shinkai, I don’t think he’s really experienced [the things being portrayed in his films].

Yeah, I don't think many people in real life have experienced swapping bodies with someone of the opposite gender either.
It seems weird to me that people keep talking about the romance aspect of Kimi, and criticising that, when it really feels primarily like a fantasy. The characters' primary motivations were to cope with and figure out how to solve their issues from the bodyswap, to the whole comet thing.

This.

>feels like a fantasy
Stop reading shitty fantasies then.

For romance which includes contemporary fantasy aspects, try reading Murakami's abstract works and find out what this MV called Kimi no Nawa is lacking greatly. As an author of the same country, Shinkai must've felt bad for his hacked success as well.

Meh, success is largely a matter of luck and marketing.
No need to feel bad about it.

It's primarily the fault of gjuys like that ishida though when they try and make great literature out of a fancy gender bender movie. Ishida's criticism just sounds so petty.
Remember me, when was the last time Miyazaki morphed into a fish girl?
Miyazaki and Shinkai's movies aren:t comparable by themes, tone or anything really (except Children who chaseyadd yadda, which was pretty much Shinkai trying the Miyazaki formula)

>“With Miyazaki and his themes of man versus nature, he packs his work with his own experiences. But with Shinkai, I don’t think he’s really experienced [the things being portrayed in his films].”
Is this Ishida guy a fucking ignorant?
He sure experienced 2011 Tohoku earthquake and that's why the movie resonate with anyone who, atleast, aware of natural diaster.

Iwgp and @deep are both straight up garbage jdrama

These old timers sure are bitter about shinkai success story. These interviews only make me respect Shinkai more. He is /ourguy/

>/ourguy/
Fuck off.

>samey regarding themes

I can see that with HnK and 5cm, but how does KnMYnB fit in?
Can't talk about Kimi no Na wa as I haven't watched it, yet.

>all the famous anime directors point out how dumb and retarded Your Name is, even the Your Name director only considers it to be above average at most
>retards who can't imaging their nu-favorite chick flick might not exactly be deep as they would like it to be cry out in pain
KEK

Take your meds, Jii-san.

Kimi no Na wa is a bit of a subversion of his theme of unrequited being shat on by extraneous circumstances like distance and age gap.

The movie literally has them both and they overcome it at the end. I would say the theme here is "destiny" but its more like the power of love even overcoming it as otherwise the disaster that happens in the middle of the happen would still have happened to one of the main characters. Yeah, this time its the power of love.

epic agenda guise

>Power of love
More like fate, destiny and Musubi, the red string of fate binds them so strong not even time travel and forgotten memories could keep them apart. They best make the best sake possible and offer it up to the Musubi god.

Where can I buy some saliva sake?

I'm curious if it taste good. Like depending of the age of the person's saliva it will taste different.

Let me summarize all Shinkai's films for you:
>tfw no gf
>tfw no gf
>tfw no gf
>tfw no gf
>tfw finally gf

I genuinely love how butthurt this movie makes people.

The themes and message of Shinkai's movies differ from film to film. Sometimes subtly and sometimes vastly. Garden of Words falls under the "vastly" category, which is just a movie about companionship, something that simple.
The only reason Shinkai gets as much criticism about making same shit over and over is because all of his movies try to create the feel of pure teenage adolescence. Depending on how much you care at the end, his movies always feel like something is at the tip of your fingers but it's at the same time lost forever, as pretentious as that may sound. But yeah, just because those movies are trying to capture a specific feeling doesn't mean they're at their barest trying to tell you the same thing.
I've actually had this conversation with a lot of people and I understand why people perceive Shinkai's works the way they do, but I really don't think there's much truth to it.

>I wonder why someone I’ve never even met feels compelled to speak on what experiences I do or don’t have, or the nature of my life, and as though he knows everything about me
Oh shit dude

MC moved on and has a gf by the end of 5cm/s
MC gf died to zerg rush in hoshi no koe
MC has a hot xmas cake teacher gf in that feet fetish anime

The only difference for your name is, fate finds a way.

Wasn't Voices of a distant Stars female MC voiced by his wife?

Yeah. Like they wouldn't even comment on a movie they would have no interest in watching in the first place if it wasn't for everyone pushing it in their face. Envious assholes.

He is saying that Shinkai's movies portray an idealized kind of love that only exist in the imaginations of lonely adolescents.

The problem I had with the movie because I thought the theme of modern vs traditionalism will be the central theme, but in the end it left quite unexplored and it's more about love and fate which feels kind of flat to me because their development was summed in a song montage.

>He is saying that Shinkai's movies portray an idealized kind of love that only exist in the imaginations of lonely adolescents.
It seems neither you nor Ishida has watched anything by Shinkai then because I don't see how you can miss the point that are so obvious.

>modern vs traditionalism
Yeah I felt like that was going to be a big theme when girl says she wants to be a boy from Tokyo in next life. But I don't think the movie actually tried to tackle that theme so I can't really fault it.

I can taste the insecurity from here. I think we are at that critical point where the generational gap between the old guards of anime and and the aspiring young talent becomes painfully apparent.

It's most likely impossible, but I want it to win an Oscar just to BTFO them further.

I admit I am not a huge fan and haven't examined his movies in great detail. Would you enlighten me what the point is?

>memezaki
truly the stan lee of anime

Eh I can't really fault them, the movie is good but just like Shinkai admits himself, it has a lot of flaws. I'm quite baffled too with the amazing reception the movie received, it was a standard Shinkai movie to me, nothing groundbreaking from his style.

But the anime veterans have to accept that what popular now is different nowadays, Frozen become popular because of Let It Go when the whole movie was quite underwhelming. And it's not like Your Name is a piece of trash, it's a decent movie. They should be more supportive towards Shinkai so that he can create a better movie next time.

>Shinkai admits himself, it has a lot of flaws
Reads more like being humble with a tinge of perfectionism taking his comments as a whole on the matter.

>He is saying that Shinkai's movies portray an idealized kind of love that only exist in the imaginations of lonely adolescents.
Not like such an indictment could apply to pretty much any romance story of any medium ever, could it? Most romantic chick flicks have no basis in reality and Romeo & Juliet was pretty fucking silly when you get down to it. Thats not getting into the bullshit depiction of love in 99% of anime either. This Ishida guy is full of shit.

That it's far from idealistic? And it also depends on what you and Ishida consider idealized fiction. Do you think adolescent romance isn't a realistic narrative premise?
At least by the normal standard of anime and most of western media, I don't think any of his work is idealistic fiction. I mean here we have a 15 year old boy falling for 27 year old woman in one of his films and it is handled with most tact and subtlety. At no point does it try to fall in to usual clichés or becomes an enabler of any fetishes. In other film (5cm) the whole message is about growing up and moving on and giving up on idealistic dream world.
Maybe you can enlighten me on what you found to be idealistic romance or idealistic portrayal of any scenario.

Lee was a hack through and through user. He was a good businessman though.

So you are admitting that the statement is true, but if somebody points it out they are full of shit?
>it doesn't matter if it's bad because everything else is also bad

>Shinkai responded by saying “I wonder why someone I’ve never even met feels compelled to speak on what experiences I do or don’t have, or the nature of my life, and as though he knows everything about me?”
/thread

>flopped
>Box office[edit]
The film was #1 at the Japanese box office during its opening weekend, earning approximately US$5.4 million from 492,000 admissions on 457 screens.[20] The film was Japan's second highest-grossing film in the year 2015 with a total box office gross of (converted from yen) US$48.6 million.[2] en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Boy_and_the_Beast#Box_office

>Ishida
Literally, who?

Not that you want to discuss anime or anything, you're interested in shitposting and it is a shitposting thread after all so I don't blame you.

O
ve hated him ever since Voices of a Distant Star. When I realized that half the movie was a girl in a giant robot just staring at her phone, I knew that his shit was stupid as fuck. I was right with that movie, I was right with 5cm, and I was right with Garden of Words.
Now he made the same movie except he put in the body-swap concept and now everyone think he's the next Miyazaki.
He's been using the same formula for 15 fucking years. If he was supposed to be the next Miyazaki, he would've already done so.

I'm not conceding anything, I'm just saying that (assuming that Shinkais works are as idealized and emotionally adolescent as stated) faulting something for traits that are true for the vast majority of fiction is hypocritical and also unhelpful, especially considering this mangaka hasn't spoken out against any of the other saccharine romance anime of the last few years.
It would be like Gareth Evans shitting on David Leitch for putting guns in his action movies, a criticism that is nebulous to the point of meaninglessness and reeks of Evans being mad that John Wick did better than the Raid.

Burn.

This is basically shitposting in real life at this point.

Anyway, BDs when?

The fact that this guy criticized Shinkai for Idealized portrayal of romance and doesn't say shit about Miyazaki already makes him a hypocrite.
Miyazaki's movies tackle some dark stuff but it can just as easily be categorized as idealistic portrayal of tropes and ideas.

Why are people so mad with some guy being unexpectedly successful?

Pretty sure one UK site listed BDs release date for late October which was just a placeholder date. Meaning the date could move further back.

County that screened your name? Why is burgerland highlighted? I thought they haven't watch it yet

This is outrageous.

Keep projecting the jealousy and contrarianism from people who call bullshit on this one like you've always done, low life scums.

That way you'll never see it for its true value.

Idealized love is perfect and pure. This is a perception that a person with only a naive understanding of relationships would have.
Adolescent romance is very realistic and portraying adolescent as pursuing some sort of idealistic love is also realistic - it's the sort of expectation a teenager would have. Still it should be remembered that the mindset of the characters and the mindset of the author are two distinct entities. In Shinkai's movies the concept of "perfect and pure love" is not presented as a part of the character's worldview but as a central premise of the work.
If the characters are shown as growing up and moving on it's not with the feeling of catharsis, of release form the misconception of perfect love, it's rather with the bittersweet feeling that perfect love is something too pure and beautiful to last for too long in this material world and should be cherished in our hearts.
Such an overly sentimentalistic view is harmless, and even works with such sentimental tone occasionally capture a particle of reality that resonates with people, but still something of real value should not just meet people's expectations but challenge them to explore unthought of concepts.
Of course, this is my perception of it. Maybe Shinkai's work is so above my level conceptually that I failed to capture it's true meaning.

>mfw uncivilised
The only animated movies they will screen here is Disney/Dreamworks trash. Now I have to put up with the Chinese eyecancer until BD comes out.

Because people, especially people on the internet, want to be mad at something all the time. Might as well be mad at something popular everyone's heard of, since it's easier than actively looking for something to be mad at.