Chain Chronicle

Good news: it's high fantasy for once. Bad news: it's a mobage adaptation.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_fantasy
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Define high fantasy.

This should be interesting at the least.

>high fantasy
buzzword to make it sound "better" than normal phantasy.

Slowpoke. We had a thread for the movie already. The tv is just the movie cut up to fit for tv format.

Not him but when someone says High Fantasy I think of a setting with zero electronics or steam tech. Just early Middle Ages with elves, magic and other fantasy races.

"High fantasy" is actually a negative in literary circles. "Fantasy" like Alice in Wonderland or Borges' short-stories is considered with more literary merit. High fantasy is basically for geeks.

Really?
Is there anything like "categories" when it comes to fantasy?
For example, like I said, no modern tech and the setting is just all magic.
Or when there's limited tech, as usually the case with a setting with dwarves and goblins.
Or something when space is involved and we have space elves doing some fancy magics while in interstellar spaceships.

He's right.
High fantasy is more about the plot.
And yes. There are categories but they have nothing to do with either the world nor the technological level.

There's high fantasy, low fantasy, dark fantasy (it's horror), fantasy of manners. Well there is one subcategory which does have something to do with the setting - urban fantasy - that generally takes place in post industrial revolution societies and more often than not on our world. But even then it's not set in stone you could have an urban fantasy in a world that has nothing to do with Earth and with a technological level that isn't easily comparable to ours. But it's rare because urban fantasy writers are fucking hacks.

Yeah, but who cares about literary circles? That's for geeks too, only the type who want to consume DEEP works.

Just marathoned entire movie at once and maybe it was the alcohol but I enjoyed it.

Almost felt like a parody at start with "why should I give a fuck about all this characters?" motive.

Then I realized it HAD to be a mobage adaptation because they were playing it straight.

Urban and Modern Fantasy has so much potential that's not utilized to full potential because the only people who write it are total hacks.

is it fun? got time to kill

I was really enjoying the game but they shut down global because they weren't making money off of it so if you want to play it you'll have to grab it from Japan.

Is there more of what I see in that image?

Doesn't modern fantasy naturally limit the tech level, and urban fantasy limit the range of movement? That sounds limiting with few advantages.

Though I guess some of Brust's Taltos books are almost urban fantasy in never leaving the main city.

I-I meant the movie

>geeks
What does this word mean?

Goes on for an hour.
Pretty fast and exciting for the most of that time.
Just expect not knowing a fucking thing about setting if you didn't play the game like me and fill the blanks for yourself.
This actually made it more fun for me.

I liked Cerberus and that was a Mobage anime

so long as they tell an actual story and not TO BE CONTINUED UNLESS YOU BUY OUR LN FUCK YOU! Ill give it a go

Isn't the fairy supposed to be a guy in the game

I am hoping it means something closer to Escaflowne, Record of Lodoss War, Bastard, El Hazard, or BASTARD!.

And not just another fucking show where people are stuck in an MMO.

What a cute fairy.

>kain is the harem MC instead of yuri

"High Fantasy" basically means Fantasy Epic. Lord of the Rings, Chronicles of Narnia, stuff like that, where the characters are larger-than-life Hero archetypes and literally saving the world from the Great Evilâ„¢. The only consistent part of the settings is that they almost all take place in an alternate reality or different world.

You're an idiot.

See above definition.

You're an idiot, too.

There are tons of sub-genres within fantasy.

It's about plot, but for none of the reasons you or the other guy listed. Most of your definitions for what fantasy is and isn't are wrong. This shit is literally a google search away.

Played this game a while back it was pretty fun

Sad the global version shut down so fast

It was Gumi's fault for being a lot more of a jew than Sega. That's why people didn't want to spend money on them.

I forced myself to watch the whole episode.
I like the concept of starting with the good guys losing the final confrontation.
I don't like the fact that they dumped two dozen characters on me in the first 5 minutes.

Is she ok?

In that case Ancient Magus' Bridge sounds like Urban Fantasy, not that the era has any real consequence in the story.

BUSTER WOLF

Is that Komaru Naegi?

Is the TV version just the movie split into three parts?

HorribleSubs/CR released the movie in 3 parts.

This has TV length episodes in 12 parts.

I have no idea what it is.

As far as I know, there were three movies and the TV is splitting tem into twelve episodes.

will there be any difference?

Yeah, lots of collabs with anime series and games like Log horizon, Date a live and DR.

The movie released by CR was 4 parts at 20~24 min each. The first 4 episodes will just be the first movie.

There are two more movies coming out and according to MAL they are also Winter 2017 release (this could be false info[maybe?]). So expect episodes 5-8 to be the second movie in four parts and 9-12 being the last movie.

A very quick glance through shows me that this new first episode is just the same as part one of the movie, only with an ED included.

the only thing I hate about this anime is that NOT A SINGLE ONE OF THE IMPORTANT CHARACTERS WEARS A FUCKING HELMET

>Those who make modern fantasy/urban fantasy are hacks.
This explains Nasu.

Should I watch the short animation from 2014? Does it have anything to do with this?

No. But you have to watch SeHa Girls since it's a spinoff from there.

Thanks a bunch user, but I've already survived through that torture of a series.

So the TV series won't go beyond the movies at all?

GOBLIN SLAYER

Generic shit with generic charas

>visual medium
>covering your main character with a helmet

Its basically Ajin but opposite then?

is she ok?

The short is utter shit and doesn't give you slightest idea what's going on prior the event on the movie.
Basically it's just collection of short story that doesn't conclude or tell anything worth your time because each is very short.

Hey, v3 Kain is fucking rad sad that they have to lock him behind gacha instead of handing him for free like they always did for the older version, fucking sega man.

Post CC waifu

Aren't there plenty of helmets that can function to protect the wearer without hiding much of their face?

Do I have to watch the movie first?

Would helmets even matter when people can cause MOAB level explosions with their weapons and mana?
Seems like it would just get in their way.

Cheers user, figured I should stay clear of it.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_fantasy

Did I miss like a prequel or five?

Just roll with it

So what was the grand idea of bringing that tome with them to the front and have it be carried by a defensless girl running on the front lines?

Don't talk shit about the SeHa Girls, user. That's not okay.

I don't understand. Am I supposed to have watched the movies first or what? It feels like I just got dropped in the middle of the plot.

For all the CG the action was surprisingly satisfying. Are the movies this good as well?

I actually really enjoyed the minimal exposition into the ensemble cast.

That kind of stuff (who's who and what's their back story) can be picked up through watching, and this first episode would've been a lot less gripping wasted away on a slow introduction to pretty generic looking characters.

The source material also feels fully realized (obviously, as a mobage adaptation) which helps a lot with the little visual things.

I knew most would probably see it as half baked, but I gotta say for someone new to the series, I really liked the way you're simply dropped into the story and things just go.

High fantasy is classical folklore stuff, typically used to describe tolkien/earlier nordic influences but also would be interchangeable with other mythology, commonly featuring multiple races besides humans and little to no technology that isn't effectively magical and the property of an ancient race

Low fantasy is human drama/issues with some magic/supernatural touches or plot devices. An easy example would be, say, Macbeth or Hamlet, but stuff like, say, Silent Mobius also qualifies

Urban fantasy is stuff like Fate/Stay Night or the not-Hogwarts parts of Harry Potter. Just modern day setting but with a world of magic lying beyond the mundane

Dark fantasy is generally just a writing style, can feature any setting but tends more towards horror or antiheroic elements. Classic examples would be Dracula or HP Lovecraft's works, the typical anime example being Berserk

Science fantasy is Star Wars.

Beyond those you basically just have realistic fantasy and other /lit/ stuff that

The movies are actually in a way the prequels to the game's story. The TV version is probably the same as the movie version, just split into more parts.

wait what happened to Bernadette? Did she get an upgrade in the JP version?

A few old arcanas recieved a new version

IT was surprisingly good, not only the animation was solid during all the episode, but it also "Shows instead of tell", that is something really outstanding for japanese media.

They trend way too much to explain you things, here instead of making an info dumb they show it to you. That is at least a good starting point.

Starting with the hero failing was also a nice touch.

The only thing I can complain is that it feels kind of souless? I mean, I feel like I've watched/played it like 100 times, it looks like a Fire Emblem opening movie, It's so incredibly generic when it comes to the setting and designs.

see
Doesn't have to be classical folklore, doesn't even need to be Tolkien influenced.

I heard she was released as a playable character in the JP version when the global version got shut down.
Yuni and Katya are also close second.

>naked with gloves+hair for days+silly hat
Lie is good.

>big fucking walls
>big fucking gatehouse
>no gate
What the hell were they thinking?

High Fantasy just means fantasy set in some non-Earth world.
I personally find this definition mostly useless, but what can you do.

Cerberus was a mobage? I thought it was just a regular piece of shit.

>Is there anything like "categories" when it comes to fantasy?

Of course there are, but only the ones more common that have clear common factors.

You have low fantasy, high fantasy, contemporary fantasy, space opera, dark fantasy...as well as other categories.

But then there is a shit ton of works that doesn't really fit into any of those since either it has elements from more than one, or not enough elements to qualify as one of those or bring elements from other genres, all those works with mixed elements are considered just "Fantasy" (without having a particular category).

For example, you have Lodoss War that is High Fantasy, or Claymore that is Dark Fantasy but then you have things like Mahouka that mixes elements so it is just "fantasy".

Is Episode 1 the beginning of the first movie?

So, who's Aram? Guy is using red mana and just suddenly dropped in the story as if he's important.

I guess hes another Yuusha thing?

That first movie was pretty good for a mobage adaptation.
Can't wait for more.
Been a while since we had a good high fantasy, there should be more of them.
The last decent one was Cerberus which was more of a comedy.

>Been a while since we had a good high fantasy
But user, Zestiria aired twoseasons ago and it is continuing this season.

It can still be good. Being mobage doesn't automatically mean it will be bad.

I don't remember this happening to pirika in the game. Is that the black knight holding her?

I'm starting to like mobage adaptations, if for no other reason than sourcefags don't shit up threads.

But this could theoretically have sourcefags telling everyone how the plot goes on and such.
It's not an anime original* story that greatly deviates from the mobage, does it?

*not to be confused with original anime, which is used for making up an entirely new intellectual property.

They tend to have the same problem as adult TCG adaptions. Too many characters and no idea what to do with them.

Is she going to be okay?

Will she show up?

I liked the part when she and the advancing enemies suddenly started dancing around.

D-did I miss episode?

I feel like I have no idea what the point of this first episode was.

Do you have brain problems?
There was a big bad, people tried to stop him, they failed and the leader of that group is now a little depressed.
How was it hard to follow exactly?

is she daijobu ?

Why was he bad? Why did they fail again? Why do we have to stop him? What's so bad about dark magic? What's with the book? What happened to the fairy? Where do we go from here? If we fight him we'll just fail again, no? What is the "will of the world" and why the fuck should I care?

Jesus fucking christ user it's the first episode. Believe or not there is more to come.

You should care because this is a story and you decided to open it up.