Flip Flappers is... okay

I'm tired of most of Sup Forums trying to shove this series down my throat claiming it's amazing and original when it's actually heavily inspired by Alice in wonderland and with a mild at best soundtrack. You guys do realize the main reason this series is even popular in the first place is because of the animation and art style. It's a very artsy anime and that's about all it has going for it because the story simply isn't that amazing if you take the visuals and girls away from it. At the very least in my opinion the writers should have had to decide if these girls were Yuri or not and actually have a kiss scene or something but they didn't even have the balls to do that. They played it safe with this series and it's obvious one you take the visuals out of the question. Like I said before the visuals and design are amazing but we get down to straight up story and suspense it simply falls flat. I have no problem saying I enjoyed this anime but compared to other series like Madoka Re:Zero and Konosuba if we want to go relatively recent anime it's nothing. All in all Flip Flappers is basically another Flying Witch, all style and no substance.

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.google.com/document/d/1ip2IsLvWNJJxYNTT5ODivaL2j5xbEoq3EhGhaUe48Gk/edit
sakugabooru.com/post/show/27687
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

ok

>Madoka Re:Zero and Konosuba

Exactly.

No shit.

Learn to punctuate and type better.

>rezero pleb thinks his opinion is worth anything here
Cute

Also Erased.

I'm actually not a fan of it but it's clearly very much better then Flip Flappers in terms of story and character development and from strictly a reviewing standpoint it makes Flip Flappers look like trash in almost everything except for the animation and style.

is this going to be one of those anime with 1000+ threads complaining about the threads an anime is getting?

You're right. I shouldn't have compared it to Madoke because Madoka did something that hasn't been done since Evangelion. It's in a category of its own.

It's completely debatable but a lot of people would agree Madoka did it better unless they're hardcore Eva fans.

It was a cool concept and the first half was great, but then they brought in the retarded mom plot and it went to shit. It should have stayed a wacky slice of life about dimension hopping lesbians.

Eva had better characters than Madoka.

Eva had twice as long to develop it's characters, and even then it was spotty.

tl;dr?

> Madoka did something that hasn't been done since Evangelion
And what would that be?

Hm? I don't think anyone ever said it's a masterpiece.
It's better than average you average animeshit but didn't deliver on many ends and fell flat.

Well it's better and worse.

Better because it tried to do something different.

Worse because the writing was such an incoherent mess. At least mediocre anime follow a proper storyline even if it's boring and predictable.

>Eva had twice as long to develop it's characters
That's not really relevant. Better is better.

>At least mediocre anime follow a proper storyline
Only in the vaguest sense of the word storyline

>cant understand flip flap story
>blame it on the writing
Sad state of being OP.

>Re:Zero and Konosuba

>leaving madoka out of it

How about rocked the entire anime industry? Do you not keep up with anime news and what's trending? Do you really not remember how big of a deal Madoka was even on Sup Forums?

We get one of those every year or two. By your logic SAO and SnK are great too.

even if shitters enjoy it it's still a good show.

Does best episode in the history of anime mean anything to you guys?

I unironically cannot understand how anyone could rate Flip Flappers highly or as their AOTY. It was downright mediocre and I probably would've dropped it if not for the yuri, which wasn't even that good in the end because I couldn't take Papika seriously at all due to her autism.

Papika was such a dumb fucking character.

The Sayaka episodes (the only good thing about Madoka) were way better than episode 10.

While those shows made waves they were literally nothing compared to Madoka user.

Just because you liked Madoka better doesn't mean it was actually more popular.

It was an anime that enjoyed being an anime.

SnK was way bigger than Madoka.
Everyone and their mom watched that.

What is this even supposed to mean?

Too bad it didn't enjoy being a story too.

I'm talking about the anime industry not normies in America. Madoka destroyed them and was already being considered a classic even being compared to Evangelion and other legendary anime just weeks after its release. Madoka destroyed them.

>shitting on flying witch
>comparing actually good shows to Re:Zero
>clearly lacks any knowledge of Japanese storytelling, especially how they write romances
What bad bait

I think you're underestimating how popular SnK and SAO are.
It's been said a million times, but the Nips really do have shit taste.

>watches anime to see pretty colors and moving pictures
>calling anyone else a pleb

>Re:Zero and Konosuba

Nothing's wrong with konosuba user.

I'm not arguing you on popularity because all of hem are popular I'm talking about awards and critic reviews and the hype behind the series. Madoka impressed people tho make anime and others whose job it is to review it and was a hit with fans as well.

them*
who*

This isn't even including the soundtrack for Madoka which was crazy amazing as well.

I've laughed and cried many times while watching anime but episode ten of Madoka was the only anime episode to ever have me literally drooling on myself with excitement and disbelief. I'll never forget the day I watched it.

>because the writing was such an incoherent mess
The director already said that they hire new writer because fucked up schedule.
Sup Forums Already knows it way back to episode 10, and already discussed it.

Basically, this.

You're missing the point user. All anybody is trying to say is it doesn't deserve an award for best anime of the year or anything even close.

I hate to admit it but I had a better time watching Oriemo than I did flip flappers but looks wise Flip Flap is pretty good.

That's one of the best ways to put it.

It embraced the medium with every single episode.

It was a less comfy more colorful version of Flying Witch.

Plus the plot and ending seemed hyper forced in Flip Flappers. It needed so much more character development for that to even mean anything but they rushed it.

Flip Flappers would have been better off if it was just a sketch anime with two girls with powers who explore worlds together and find themselves in sticky situations but the plot literally fucked the series in my opinion.

If they slowly grew feelings towards each other and became a couple I would have enjoyed that far better than the actual plot which was retarded.

>colorful backgrounds, great animation
>visually interesting worlds to explore
>very big eyes
>all kinds of genre-episodes
>visual story-telling
>you can either watch it just for fun and still get the story, or overanalyze it for phallic symbolism
>builds up a lot of hype for the final arc, but subverted some popular tropes
Though if they will succeeded with that is up to debate
Personally I'm also a big fan of the last episodes, it had many great moments

It's the nature of the show, love it or hate it for it.

I don't think it needed anything more, explanations and reasons were left for everything if you pay attention to the imagery or the context of things, I was satisfied in the character aspect.

But it makes sense for some of it to feel forced given how it was made.

They wanted every episode to be a satisfying experience on its own, so overall the show was more about the journey than the destination, it didn't set out to build up to some big conclusion but to deliver many cool moments throughout the whole run.

They gave us plenty moments of awesomeness, or plot twists we expected, and they later subverted, and played with many of the things that would naturally fit that sort of show.

That sort of by the episode design with many small goals to meet would lead to some parts feeling forced when it comes time to finish it all off and tie the threads that made all the cool things of previous episodes possible in the first place together.

docs.google.com/document/d/1ip2IsLvWNJJxYNTT5ODivaL2j5xbEoq3EhGhaUe48Gk/edit

The show's conception is quite interesting.

What the director did with all of the tropes the show tackled, on every individual episode, was fantastic.

The sudden reveals of every powerup, the henshin, the rival team, the predictable heel turn of the rival, the moments when they tackled every dramatic aspect of each character's background or their relationships, even the final episode teased with the tropes really hard by making it look like Cocona was back in the real world.

If Flip Flappers was written as a sketch SOL comedy and maybe romance anime with the same alternate universe themes and style it could have been top five ever and a true masterpiece but instead it decided it wanted to try and play the roll of a more serious anime with a huge underlying plot point and it took itself way to seriously albeit with cute carefree characters which gives the illusion that it didn't and now it's average at best with style being one of the only memorable points of the series. It's honestly frustrating just seeing the lost potential in it.

If they wanted every episode to be satisfying on its own it would have made more sense as a SoL anime but that's obviously not what they wanted. They were hoping to achieve the same thing Evangelion and Madoka did in a way and create a masterpiece but it didn't happen.

Also I'm not talking about the deconstruction aspect of those series but the attention they got in general.*

>the story simply isn't that amazing
You mean the writing was crap.

This.
Flip Flappers had so much going for it in the very beginning of the series, namely the Pure Illusion exploration.
The instant that Yayaka appeared as a rival, I died a bit inside. From episode 3 the plot as a "race to collect all of x" appeared, and overarching plot of the anime became, I daresay, cliched. Tropes such as an evil organization, a deluded "guardian who knows what is best", experimental laboratory, and personality takeover really distracted from the uniqueness as a show.
Personally, my favorite parts were the Pure Illusion exploration, such as when they entered the painter-senpai's world. If they had expanded and built upon that, I feel like Flip Flappers would have succeeded as a much more interesting and engaging show.
However, I might be deluding myself into looking for something that was never intended to exist, and while I can say my bias blinded my enjoyment of the series, I really am sad that I didn't enjoy it to it's full potential.

Jesus christ that's a Cormac McCarthy tier runon sentence

Trips confirmes. It would also be cool if they became friends with some of the characters from pure illusion and took them to other universes to meet other characters and solve problems that they couldn't and so on and that's only one tiny thing of thousands they could have done.

That's how I talk in real life.

Let's see what the director had to say about it.

>mild at best soundtrack
No. Fuck you. Not reading further. SHove your bait thread up your ass.

Compare it to an anime like Inuyasha's soundtrack for example if you want to see just how sad it truly is in the face of a good anime soundtrack that's meshes well with the series or Madoka.

Literally remove the plot and make it more like Space Dandy.

They couldn't write decent friendship, what makes you think they could write romance?

Speed Racer and Eva also.

Fuck off. Just because you think it's not good compared to other big shots doesn't mean it's bad.

Also FMA. The point is there are tons but Flip Flap doesn't do music "well" you can say.

I rate i comment i subscribe i hit that like button now go blow your brains out

>Space Dandy.
It wont be big as FlipFlap current fanbase then and the sales too probably (though I'm not sure myself on how well space dandy sold), space dandy threads are dead without reaching bump limit most of the time and even if it did, those were days old. Yeah, it could be like space dandy and I would still enjoyed it though.

Sorry, those didn't have one of the best executed uses of an insert battle theme song for a big climax battle.

sakugabooru.com/post/show/27687

Of course it doesn't hold up with big shot anime because it's not a big shot anime which is the point of this whole thread.

So is there actual yuri in Flip Flappers or just teasing bullshit?

They are just friends.

Cocona and Papika fist each other while wearing wedding dresses.

When the intro to the world only god knows has more awards than all the music in Flip Flappers put together that's a sign the music isn't that great.

Teasing.

Look at these friends being friends.

So both of them confessing their love for each other and running away together doesn't count?

Why are you baiting so hard? You don't belong here. Fuck off.

They ran away to the real world though for more adventures.Though the confession was gay as fuck.

The musics not good user. Compare it to Clannad even. I can go on and on about anime with better music with awards to back them up. You're choosing to argue one of this series biggest weaknesses.

You can argue FLCL did pretty
much everything Flip Flapers did but better and that's saying something.

Now that I think about it if FLCL came out today it would likely do better than a lot of anime.

I'm just relieved Sup Forums isn't completely over run with hyper moe casual rejects yet. I thought I'd be arguing with the entire thread.

AOTS because this season was weak

2016 Fall was by far the strongest season in the last 2 years.

>2 years

You're really reaching for the sky aren't you buddy?

>subverted some popular tropes
Which ones?

Suffering end in a mahou shojo comes to my mind.

FLCL didn't have retarded writing on top of shallow characters.

How is that a trope? I don't think it's done by the majority of shows let alone to the point of being so obligatory that it needs to be subverted.

As in sticking a bunch of tropes and cliches together but still failing to make them enjoyable by superimposing really mediocre plot and characters on them most of the time?
I have to admit that I sort of enjoyed how some things in the show looked and were designed but I think there's really better works that play around with creative animation and were consequent about doing just that.

I think NGNL did far better in storytelling and world building and almost as good in style with a plot that didn't seem forced and good comedy elements. The only reason people hate it is because normies like it but during the time it was airing Sup Forums loved it. I won't be surprised if the same happens with Flip Flap.