Space Dandy sold 200 times more than Flip Flappers

Space Dandy sold 200 times more than Flip Flappers.

I'm comparing them since they both have a very similar direction and were made by the same people.

>colorful
>high quality animation
>each episode is a new adventure

How do you feel about this?
Why did flip flop?

Other urls found in this thread:

someanithing.com/1045
reddit.com/r/anime/comments/24gisq/2014_tv_anime_sales_rankings_update_space_dandy/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

should i like flip flappers if i really liked space dandy?

No, you should watch Flip Flappers and then judge on your own.

Same staff but not the same director.

Space Dandy was made by Shinichiro Watanabe.

Flip Flappers was made by a newcomer.

At the end it all comes down to the director's vision.

too much loli for the normies.

Apparently, the last three or so episodes of Flip Flappers started to look really bad because of some bad production schedule.
Wouldn't surprise me if the producing company Infinite messed up the schedule on purpose just like it did with Regalia to embezzle some of that chink money through creative accounting on behalf of the Anime Consortium.

Wait, Dandy sold 160k?

>Space Dandy was made by Shinichiro Watanabe
Space Dandy was made by Natsuem Shingo, with Watanabe as "chief director," which you may recognize as the same role Shinbo has on every show SHAFT makes.

i didnt fucking ask you

Every episode of SD was made by a different director that had almost complete autonomy, actually.
The director of FliFLa directed one of the best ones, but apparently directing an entire series was too much for him and he shat the bed with a myriad of terrible decisions.

Because Flip Floppers wasn't directed by Shinichiro Watanabe aka the space cowboy himself.

See

He directed all fo them, there were just several writers.

It sold 16k, OP either can't read or can't type.

I didn't know Flip Flappers was by the same people as Space Dandy, but when I was watching it I thought 'this is like Space Dandy, but with less likable main characters'.
I ended up dropping it half way through.

Space Dandy had an international audience. Toonami was broadcasting it.

Flip Flappers barely had any promotion.

No, see, it's only bad when Shinbo does it, whenever anyone else does it they deserve full credit as though they were the actual director.

If you're talking about SD, you're wrong.

Is Space Dandy actually good or is it like Samurai Champloo/Cowboy Bebop where the only interesting thing going on was it's "style"/soundtrack?

Only the animators and artist are the same.
The directors and writers are different. Op has no clue.

>It sold 16k
What? I remember it flopping hard.

Nice bait

The latter. I liked Champloo anyway, but I don't really love Space Dandy or Bebop

>The director of FliFLa directed one of the best ones, but apparently directing an entire series
I think it's pretty clear what I was talking about.

16k? I thought Dandy flopped?

i almost responded to this

Oh it's actually good. believe me. I've shed many manly tears to space dandy.
And the episodes/stories are amazing.
Back when it was new to me I would just sit there after and episode and shake my head and say "oh mannnnn" ina good way.

>Space Dandy sold 200 times more than Flip Flappers.

>Space Dandy sold 176k

Yuri on Ice BTFO

Pretty sure in space dandy almost every episode was done by a completely director and they just went crazy with it.

At best episodes are fantastic and completely carry themselves, at worst they are forgettable. It is definitely worth the watch.

Flip Flappers is a loli's attempt at making Space Dandy.

Flip Flappers flopped because it went nowhere and had a terrible ending. There was no substance to the show, thus no one cared.

Then I don't get what point he was trying to make.

Quick google pulls up this chart which is probably the one they're misreading. Dandy sold 1169

It's a shame because the raw talent was clearly there. Just made bad choices in advance or didn't know how to fit what the producer wanted into the show and it just turned out to be a big mess in the end

It's pretty good. They invited many good sci-fi novelists amd writers to the show.
Each episode has it's own unique charm.

someanithing.com/1045
>1,115 193 17% 922 83% Winter 10 Space Dandy

>1,115

reddit.com/r/anime/comments/24gisq/2014_tv_anime_sales_rankings_update_space_dandy/

forgot link

>reddit

I heard it did pretty well world wide, specially in the us.

Every episode had over 1million views on Toonami.

It's not like it was made for Japan in the first place.

Those are just the japanese sales.
Space Dandy wasn't even made for the japanese audience.

>reddit
Sasuga.

That has nothing to do with the fact that OP is retarded and wrong.

>tfw movie never

>Those are just the japanese sales.
That's what is generally meant by "sales," user. Every time someone quotes sales numbers without qualification, they mean Japanese. Is Flip Flappers even for sale in English yet?

I miss Dandy

;_; where is my season 2

>I'm back baby!

;_;

Of course not. I doubt anybody even bought the license for a home video release for Flip Flappers.

Dandy had same sale range FF. People don't buy 'bizarre' anime. Specially not at time like this when otaku purchase power is all time low.

>mfw Toonami announce Space Dandy movie

That makes sense. What I liked the most from the 4 Flip Flappers episodes I watched was the alien worlds. The desert tribe with masks stands out the most. It reminded me of Nier.

>OP blown the fuck out

Season 3. We had season 2.

I really don't know why studios even try to pander to the so-called sakuga-fans anyway.
They practically never buy shows.
SoL fags like cute girls show doing cute things in their everday life, action fags like action series, haremfags like shows with lots of cute girls or guys. But animation fans? They're just worthless garbage complaining about all kinds of anime. And then they never buy anything anyway.

There was a season 2.

I wish Bones followed through on making the movie, though. Imagining the crazy shit and animation they would come up with in a movie with a proper budget is too exciting.

Please don't make Space Dandy threads. You just remind me that we will never get a season 2 or a movie.

>I really don't know why studios even try to pander to the so-called sakuga-fans anyway.
Maybe they aren't pandering and they just like doing it? Crazy thought, I know. Whenever anyone does anything that someone might like, it has to be pandering.

Did they not have a proper budget for Dandy? Christ, they made a masterpiece on a crappy budget?

That will never really get a movie unless foreign companies start investing into it heavily.
And they only do that if a show becomes a mainstream success in their market.

Just imagine that Redline is a movie adaption of the Dandy space race episode.

Of course they did, they had Toonami bucks.

>hiring good animators equals pandering to sakuga fans

kek

No. Even anime companies make things in order to sell, and not for fun. Studio Bones just overestimated the amount of people willing to buy the show.

lol

No, they had a good budget for a T.V series. Movies generally get more budget to pretty themselves up though.

Sentai Filmworks bought the home video rights before the first episode even aired, genius.

People do make things out of love, you cynic.

You are fucking crazy.

But Redline had a crappy story and unlikable characters.

If money was the only thing that drove animators, they wouldn't be making anime.

Why did Bones make that Sword of the Stranger movie? But no Dandy movie?

Pretty much. I had a hard time watching Redline with my friends because the characters are so lame. It would have been GOAT if Redline's cast had one tenth the charm that Dandy's did.

Why are you laughing? The money they pour into cartoons in the US make the Japanese look like they're working with spare change.
You can expect the new FLCL for AS to be made with loads of money as well.

Season 2 was mostly amazing and season 1 is good with some strong episodes.

Studios make anime for money.

Too bad we don't pay our animators in the US slave wages so they still look like ass compared to vietnamese sweatshop toons

I want Netflix to finance a Space Dandy movie

A) Toonami wasn't involved in the production
B) Toonami has no cash. They can't even afford to license most funi shows. I would not expect the budgets for its new shows to be particularly high

chinese ricepaper drawings

Again, Space Dandy was made for the western market.
If you were talking about Mob 100, you would have a point. Though it sold above average.

Space Dandy is a ________

Studios make ads for light novels and manga until they can afford to do their passion project. Disc sales are usually irrelevant.

Dandy Guy... in space.

--Dandy guy in Space.

Someone obviously paid for it to make it air there before than in Japan.

dandy senpai with passion for the booty.

Are there any shows that can fill the void left by Space Dandy out there? I feel like there's nothing remotely similar or as good

Happened the same with Concrete Revolutio season 2, which aired on Funimation and Daisuki before the TV broadcast in Japan.

uchuu dandy

That was certainly a groundbreaking licensing deal, but it wasn't part of the production budget.

No

Phantom World and Flip Floppers tried but failed horribly.
Seems like episodic shows are harder to make than it seems.

It's literally mentioned in the op.

Which episode did Bahi JD and Shinya Ohira work on? It was something with an alien fish right?

This was the best episode

I was in awe the entire time

Space Dandy is a good example why western fans are worthless. It was made for them but they didn't buy it.

>Space Dandy and Flip Flappers flop
>Touken Ranbu and Utapri sell like hotcakes
I have to wonder what goes through the nips minds. If I were to meet one of these buyers in real life, I'd have quite a bit of questions regarding how they could spend their money on literall trash when inventive once in a decade shows are ignored. Do they not care about animation as an art form? Do they think only with their genitalia? Do they get fed up with formulaic blandness after a while? It's quite odd to me.

The western anime fans who buy are unilaterally neckbeards. They buy shounen and ecchi.

It clearly involves a considerable amount of money anyway.
No way in hell TWO new seasons of FLCL would have been ordered when only the US care of it, otherwise.

Ohira worked on Masaaki Yuasa's episode and I think Bahi animated a bunch of episodes. Use google

No, I've yet to see anything new that has the same charm, the designs, the art styles, the music of Dandy.