Is Log Horizon a good MMO type anime?

Is Log Horizon a good MMO type anime?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=KQJAUKlVYDY&feature=youtu.be&t=6m05s
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Yes.
It has proper game mechanics and world building that you'd find in a good MMO.

Probably the best.

Also don't forget to do your taxes.

Why would you ask this three years after making that screenshot?

I'm sorry.

Post more hime

DATABASE DATABASE

>three years

It's garbage. The fucking politics were more exciting than the MMO content. I guess that's what happens when MC is a gary stu.

It's the most proper one, by having actually detailed and consistent mechanics.

Even if LH never gets a season 3 at least Database will forever live on.

S2 is fucking trash half way through with the kids arc, but everything else is pretty fun.

Yes it's the best Anime of it's kind. Quality drops off a bit in the second season but it's still good. Just be aware that we'll never get a third season.

As long as you ignore the faggot cat and the kids, yeah.

Kinda hard to do though.

>>Hating Nyanta
Shit taste detected.

Have fun eating hair in the soup he makes. Cats shed a lot

It was a good spin on the genre. Suffered from a lot of annoying filler though. DEEN taking over for Season 2 didn't really help either.

>Implying MMO content is not politics

You can't blame DEEN for S2 when most of the staff that worked on it was the same.
Blame the director for skipping over China adventures, giving Akatsuki too many sulking episodes, and throwing the pace all over the place.
It was him at the helm after all.

Is it really? A studio change hints at a lot of problems that could be out of the director's control. I won't claim that to be fact though. I don't even know why the show changed hands in the first place. Was Satelight just not interested in doing the second season?

If I remember right it was because Satelight was booked when it came to shows for the foreseeable future.
Waiting for Satelite would probably mean S2 wouldn't have happened for another year or two. Who knows if that means we could have gotten something better if we had to wait?

Their schedule being so tight was also one of the reasons why people were surprised at the sudden S2 announcement.

Ah, right. Satelight did Madan no Ou to Vanadis the same time Log Horizon S2 aired.

So there probably wasn't really any production hell there, just the problem of having to redo the character design and maybe adjusting to the new environment. I guess the director is partly to blame but I'd be reluctant to assign ALL of the blame to him. That would just be silly.

This.

t. used to be part of a game's cabal

I'd say the main issues of S2 were the pacing.
They had a whole volume of content that they tried to wrap up in one episode and that was Kanami's adventures on the chinese server. We just get dropped in and get flash backs of prior events to help us catch up. They didn't do that volume justice.

At the same time they give us one whole episode for William's speech, Akatsuki's arc dragged on for too long, and the ending felt rushed due to catching up with the web novel.

Pacing like that is something I would mostly blame on the director. There may or may not be more to it, but we just don't know and never will.
I'm just blaming the captain of the ship over here.

It would've done better if the characters weren't so flat. The Tank and his one fucking joke that he's going to play, come what may, are endemic of the show's biggest flaws: what the fuck is he doing? Why is he doing it? He doesn't seem to have any reason behind his drive to follow puppet master glasses around other than he did it before, so wtf, might as well.

Still better than loli-ninja whose motivation is to live out her bdsm master fetish. Worse than the gay kid who wants to be an adventurer. But honestly: if you're trying to make a politcal show entirely invested on the motivations and machinations of various groups, and two of your main cast are afterthoughts of characterisation, you're building a castle on top of sand.

I can agree with that. It's really frustrating not knowing what exactly happened. There's surprisingly little information. Now the second season left a sour taste on what could've been an overall solid series.

Hime + faceless black dick.
Yes or no?

Marielle was best horizon.

No. It consists mostly of dull talks between retards who behave llike 10 yo.

Fuck Log Horizon.

It's the only one that actually takes serious time to deal with MMO mechanics in a realistic way and spending a lot of time dealing with those mechanics (Scrub Horizon) rather than just ignoring those rules a way to let the MC be awesome like you typically see.

Also, I want to feed this fat little porker my mayonnaise.

>good mmo
Oxymoron

What? The MC is actually quite devilish.

Serara is FAT

He's still a mary sue. While he's not overtly powerful like most of these isekai things, he's not too different in every other way.

What is a Mary Sue to you, exactly?

Shiroe

It's too childish. Literally anime for kids.

Some might say, a true villain.
*presses glasses*

I liked Akatsuki. I wish I had my own loyal chuuni adult-loli who would follow me to the ends of the world.

Horseshit. That's one of my main gripes against Log Horizon; it routinely change or ignores it's own MMO rules to favour the main characters. Shit, I don't think Shiroe solves a major problem at all without breaking the rules.

He figures out how to fudge spellcastng to be faster at it, he (well, Nyanta) figures out the cooking then, which he uses to make a bazillion gold that he uses to literally buy a chunk of the game that would normally never be available but just so happen to be for him, so that he can change the rules in it to suit himself.

I think he's only "strategy" is waitng for the hack writer to figure out the flashiest deus ex machaina to let him with with.

Thing is though anyone could have done what he did.

Anyone could have bought up that expensive property if they had the money (nobody did because nobody had the money until he raised enough). He also didn't figure out how to cast faster, he just used a relatively common and popular build to use lower level spells which could be be cast faster than higher level ones (this was also common in many MMO's and was very popular for mages in Warcraft for awhile for example, where they would use level 1 frostbolts in PvP because they had a shorter cast time).

That was the whole point - Shiro wasn't cheating or breaking rules, but figuring out ways to exploit them and trying to figure out where the rules in the new world began and ended. He never had some unique special power that nobody else did (like say, Kirito) and following the rules was very important, unlike in many other MMO-themed series where the MC just gets his unique bullshit super move that lets him defeat anyone.

Is log horizon getting a third season? How far is the Manga?

yes, and now it's dead. This is why you pay your taxes

IF YOU CAN'T BE ARSED TO WAIT FOR MY MANA TO REG, IT'S NOT MY FUCKING FAULT IF WE WIPE, ASSHAT.

Here's the alternative.

Yours is the correct one though.

Shiroe a lucky bastard.

Moar

More like Acuteski

Pic relevant to MMO politics.

so did the light novel/manga end?

any reason why they are stuck?

I concur.

>Anyone could have bought up that expensive property if they had the money (nobody did because nobody had the money until he raised enough).
No, those three trading guilds had the money. Oceanic Systems even had enough to buy the thing outright on their own, they just didn't because they didn't think to (or didn't notice that it was available for sale).

When did he do the cast-spells faster thing? I remember in supplementary materials there was that Enchanter build that just spams low level spells, but it apparently required various expansions and specific gear sets to pull off, and Shiroe didn't have any of that, he stacked all his stuff onto Thorn Bind Hostage.

On hiatus, if not done completely.
Might have something to do with the author getting jailed for tax evasion.

Some new stuff was posted recently according to an user a couple weeks back.
He's still working on it.

CUTE
U
T
E

In all the MMO's I played, I was the tsundere healer who would talk shit about everyone and call them fucking retards, but I'd still end up taking their dicks and enjoying every second of it.

She has my favorite body type and my favorite hairstyle.

>your guild sucked
>that's why you're in my guild

Pretty good.

Not that user but I would argue that Shiroe is borderline Gary Stu.
It's understandable that he's good at coming up strategies for raiding dungeons. There are people in our world who are kinda like that. The problem is that he's also a political genius. The ability to manipulate others into thinking the same way you do takes actual experience. Not much is known about Shiroe prior to the Catastrophe other than that he's a college student. I think it's pretty safe to assume that he's not involved with any kind of community or organization if he's so obsessed with a MMO for nearly 10 years.
This is not a serious problem IMO though. Although we do follow Shiroe's POV most of the time, this is not Shiroe's adventure, at least not primarily. It's about the world they live in.

I would have enjoyed raiding with him. I always seemed to end up in raid guilds where the leader didn't really give a fuck and nobody really ever tried or cared.

Jesus when is that pic from?

>games with a lot of people cant be good
Your social problems are showing

Cute tummy

>calls Shiroe "Shukun"
Is she chuuni?

>Is she chuuni
She /invented/ the Ninja-type Gameplay she uses, and deliberately styles herself as a loyal retainer to Shiroe, even though previously they were both totally ordinary college students (Akatsuki's stature notwithstanding)

She's chuuni as fuck.

Yes. To a tremendous degree in fact. Where have you been. She role plays in a MMORPG and min maxed her character to be a silent ninja assassin.

RPing in a MMO is very far from continuing to RP when they are trapped in an iseikai. I thought it's a bit weird that Shiroe never said anything about it or tried to stop her.

>Ah, right. Satelight did Madan no Ou to Vanadis the same time Log Horizon S2 aired.

Yeah, good call there, Satelight.

>I thought it's a bit weird that Shiroe never said anything about it or tried to stop her.
He's a firm believer in "Live and Let Live".

He thinks it's weird, but if she enjoys doing so in their new world, why stop her?
Of course he never once thinks to question her motives in declaring him her "Master".

It doesn't work like that.
Studios take what they can get. Projects are secured long before the current project is finished.

>any reason why they are stuck?
Someone forgot to do their taxes.

Elder Tale must have been a pretty impressive game if she actually was able to essentially make her own class

every MMO I tried playing basically ended up being little more than spread sheets and hot bar rotations if you wanted to play at end game level at all. Not my idea of fun but I was always more of the pen and paper fag anyways

It would make maintaining the relationship harder. or at least it would to me which is why I thought it's strange he never mentioned it.
It's ok to indulge her but the problem is she's comitted to it 24/7.
But then again, she wasn't the only one. Cat dude kept his cat-speak even though they are not communicating through in game text chat anymore. Crusty got an assistant that calls him "Mi-lord". I suppose Shiroe just decided oh well these are the people I will live with.

The background info there is on the actual structure of the game does make it sound pretty flexible.

The idea seemed to be that you picked your race which had various benefits, a primary combat class, and then a secondary "Practical" class. Akatsuki was able to make her "Ninja" class by taking a suitable combat class, and then leveraging the skills of a practical class to make it more "Ninja"-y.

Shiroe did this too, to an extent. But for actual practical reasons rather than chuuni-isms.

Not really a good MMO type Anime, but a "good Anime" nevertheless..

>and min maxed her character
Actually, it's a plot point that while she's decently party-geared, she isn't raid-geared at all, because she didn't go on enough to min-max her character properly and get all the gear she needed.

It's still impressive though. MMOs generally have a RIGHT way to play each class and if you don't everyone on your team will yell at you for not following a faq.

Most modern MMOs are too combat focused is the problem. There's not really any room to actually ROLE PLAY in the ROLE PLAYING game. Even crafting is just a means to an end to better facilitate combat.

Eldertale is closer to the video game version of a pen and paper game I always dreamed about.

It's alright.

Okay, now I need to see a gold-plated Akatsuki.

While Log Horizon felt more like an actual game when compared to SAO, there are still many things that wouldn't work as an actual game and exist primarily for the story.
The apprentice class for example. I don't think that can work in an actual game.

Yeah, I definitely get what you mean. Like, I fucking adore FFXIV, but it is definitively rigid in its character classes and combat-focus. It's to the point that the soon-to-be-implemented Red Mage; traditionally one of the most free-form classes in the series, will likely be almost completely different from its prior incarnations; which simply wouldn't work with how XIV is built.

On the flip side though, the same update is adding more pure-exploration elements, which aught to be fun.

>Why is this old man still acting like a cat, we're not playing a game anymore
>Oh fuck here comes Akatsuki, probably gonna pretend to be a loyal ninja again, fuck's sake woman you're the same age as me
>At least she isn't getting all creepy and trying to sneak into my bed
>Oh thank fuck it's Crusty, he seems normal --"milord?"
>Ohh fuck. Hell is real and I can't escape

YP bought the licence so the TL groups all dropped it

Well yeah the plot is always going to drive things and you have to take some liberties but when compared to SAO or fuck even .Hack it's like night and day. I even liked the latter but for the life of me I could not see why anyone would play that game (the in universe game not the actually game game. which Im generally ambivalent towards)

>>At least she isn't getting all creepy and trying to sneak into my bed
Silly Shiroe, she wouldn't be a good ninja if you knew about it.

Did they announce Samurai yet?

Up in the air.

Next job was teased with "Spider-Man". Community is split down the middle with how to interpret it. Half say "Samurai", half insist on "Blue Mage".
Reveal is in February.

Im not sure I see how the wall crawler applies to either. I mean spider bite = powers kind of works but it's a bit of a stretch

Yeah, that's the general line of thinking for the Blue Mage side.

The Samurai side cites the director mentioning being a fan of the first film trilogy; directed by Sam Raimi. Which when rendered into katakana is just Samurai+mi.

Both are quite the stretch. But then that's why it's a tease.

Nigga Nyanta was the greatest gift to Humanity.

youtube.com/watch?v=KQJAUKlVYDY&feature=youtu.be&t=6m05s

Das Smooth choco, nyanta. He got more a jazzman vibe going not a gangsta one, ya dig.

Author didnt serve jail time he got put on house arrest till the paperwork and loose ends got fixed, and last I checked it did almost a year ago so yeah, hes still working on it.

It was resolved before the media vultures even got wind of it. I really hate how fast the news is sometimes. It wasn't even a big deal and they where already acting like he was Capone just for headlines