Why did Reagan Close down Mental Institutions?

Aren't they the only fool-proof way to prevent a mentally ill person from committing suicide? Why did Reagan shut em down?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/5NPBIwQyPWE
youtube.com/watch?v=dbiYJkiX-Dg
nami.org/Learn-More/Treatment/ECT,-TMS-and-Other-Brain-Stimulation-Therapies
ted.com/talks/sherwin_nuland_on_electroshock_therapy
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Do you have any idea how much money it costs keeping these retards from killing themselves? Most of them want to die anyways.
I say we execute all the mentally ill including the blacks of course.

To decrease the surplus population.

BECAUSE THEY DON'T CARE ABOUT THE LONG TERM CONSEQUENCES OR EFFECTS OF THEIR IDIOT POLICIES FUCK EVERYONE WHO HAS TO DEAL WITH A BUNCH OF MENTALLY ILL PEOPLE RUNNING AROUND RUINING EVERYTHING WE DON'T WANT TO PAY TAXES TO STOP THAT FROM HAPPENING BECAUSE WE'RE MORE IMPORTANT THAN THE REST OF SOCIETY DERP MERP HERP SLERP

Because we already live in a one big mental institution maaaan

It's cheaper to let them OD on fentanyl.

Commit suicide and ask him yourself, don't ask Sup Forums to do your homework.

Worst decision ever. Still see the ramifications of it today. But hundreds of times worse

This user gets it

we embrace mental illness as vibrant diversity now

Much cheaper than treating it desu, and most of them either can't or are opting not to have children. Kinda seems like it was a shitty utilitarian long game plan.

I hate all of you drooling retards

There's a reason asylums are the horror meme they are in current year.

They were horrible hell holes that were exposed by the media, and the left screamed in outrage to close them down.

JFK lobotomizing his daugther with an ice pick because she was in her awkward rebelous feminist stage didn't help either.

Legit question: Can one vote if they are committed to a mental institution ?

Because he saw One Flew Over the Cuckoo's nest.

CAUSE DA 80S MAN ANYTHING GOES REAGAN WAS GREAT WOOOOOOO 80S MAN

It's complicated. Dutch was fighting a cold war.

Only if they vote democrat.

What does the Cold War have to do with it?

I don't think suicides the answer but is suffering in a mental institution a better alternative?

It's complicated

>Why did Reagan Close down Mental Institutions?

He decided to set the liberals free to see how they'd fare. Judging by how they're doing today, it didn't turn out well.

because Reagan was a piece of shit. there is no redpill on Reagan. he was literally the first fully controlled Deep State president. the guy had big wigs telling him to hurry up during his speeches to the people.

i hear a lot of people saying we should never have shut them down. I work in the behavioral wing of a hospital and I've seen firsthand how fucked our mental services are these days. Drug them up, give them a stern talking to, and push em back out onto the street or send them to another institution. Anything to move them through the system as fast as possible. A lot of these people have given up, or are too far gone to really help. Some that can be helped need therapy, and that shit's expensive. And what some others need can't be given to them by the healthcare system, they need motivation or a break from their no-lube bondage party of a life. A lot of patients we have come back over and over again because at least while they're here they get food, attention, and a warm bed. It's fucked, man, and I don't know what would fix it.

mental institutions don't work here b/c they'd end up hiring nig, spic, asian, or white trash employees who would inevitably abuse patients. They work in Europe because it's well paid work their and unskilled labor isn't the human garbage we have here.

Institutions were on the decline already when he made the decision. Since the 50's medications had been in use that let people who were normally institutionalized live normally. Before the 50's if you were a schitzo there was no way they could let you live with the rest of the population. It was premature but many states followed suit after he did that.

Because Reagan was a retarded proto-boomer that passed amnesty for millions of Mexicans turning California Blue forever, deregulated wall street letting the kikes ruin the economy multiple times, and instituted no fault divorce in California which paved the way for its adoption nationally.

There was nothing whatsoever "conservative" about the man, but the boomers treat him like a hero.

some mental diseases are pure torture
its inhumane to make them suffer AND treat them like animals and put them in a cage

youtu.be/5NPBIwQyPWE

Checking

This x1000

Give them something to look forward to. A little compassion goes a long way.

Benis approves

He wanted to help Democrats to have plenty of people to run for office!

Suicides are cheaper, plus all the homeless become the problem of liberals in the cities. How do liberals deal with the homeless, you ask? They put spikes everywhere hoping they'll change their minds and find a home.

nice boomer propaganda

Next you will start talking about how awful segregation was. The real reason they were shut down is because the batshit leftists were constantly getting thrown in mental institutions when after going on crazy drug binges, so they had them banned.

see: Alan Ginsburg.

why would you prevent someone from committing suicide? especially mentally ill people.

As someone who lives in DC. The insane and disgusting homeless are the worst thing in this city.
Regan made one mistake after closing down the institution in not making vagrancy a criminal offense. The insane belong under someone's supervision, not defeating in the streets begging gullible navel gazers for liquor money.

liberals are incredibly intolerant of the homeless yet they bend over backward for minorities

Because Sup Forums is filled with control freaks who think that everyone has a role to play in their fucked up ant colony idea of a society. It's the same with retards who scream DEGENERACY at everything.

how does vagrancy harm anyone?

sister, not his daughter you idiot

>Homeless
>Worst part of DC
No way man.

because of video related

youtube.com/watch?v=dbiYJkiX-Dg

Because in the 70s hippie feelgoodery led to new beliefs about mental illness, like "crazy people can lead normal productive lives amongst the rest of us." Big mistake, many shootings deaths as a result. Sad!

you would probably be killed judging by the way you talk

preventing people from killing themselves is nearly as bad as killing people. by preventing someone from killing himself you deny his self-ownership and free will in the same way when you kill someone.

There's plenty of that, but we're not all commies or natsocs.

Did you ever see "One Through Over the Cuckoo's Nest"? Our mental health system had become a second prison system for the unconvicted that allowed no chance of appeal. It was a travesty, rife with widespread abuse and bullshit, and closing it down was largely seen as a humanitarian effort.

It's just all the unintended consequences sucked. They sucked hard. They sucked all the dicks.

Anyone who works in the public sector can tell you how awful it is dealing with mentally unstable people and there is literally no organization that deals with them until they commit a serious crime. I find it disappointing that people are repeating the false history we all learned in high school about how awful mental asylums were. Yeah shock therapy was sure brutal and it didn't work right? Oh what is that new treatment all the rich people are doing to get rid of depression in 2017? Electroconvulsive Therapy you say? nami.org/Learn-More/Treatment/ECT,-TMS-and-Other-Brain-Stimulation-Therapies OH Certainly rich people can't be doing the exact same thing the history books said was "torture" that didn't work. If you are repeating the same lines you learned in high school reconsider your position. It's more inhuman to allow these people to wander the street and fuck up the daily life of countless people every day.

so neets wont have a place to stay after their parents die

Or read the 1906 novel 'The Jungle" and decide to shut down all slaughterhouses FOREVER because they were all bad at one point. Oh wait we still have slaughterhouses? Then we just improved an institution without getting rid of every facet of it. Novel idea huh? Come on consider how other Western countries handled this issue. It was a stupid decision don't try to justify it. Read about about my earlier point about electroshock therapy and how rich people are paying fortunes to have it done to themselves in the past year.

You're not wrong, my man. It's even worse, because I just know half the people who spout that shit on here don't even have a complete grip on their own lives.

This
We need to bring them back cause mental illness is an epidemic in this country now. Don't you faggots ITT know about the (((Rosenhan))) experiment that convinced them to shut them down?

It's amazing when you consider just how few people were caught up in the "unconvinced" aspect of the mental health system and how many people try to bring up that point. Is this place on the same wavelength as old L. Ron Hubbard now? Afraid of being locked up in a rubber room with no trial? Be more mindful of car safety and not driving impaired, that would actually be useful.

Aktion T4

>Dude people are like cows
You are fucked in the head. Furthermore, the meat industry is still rife with inhumane practices, and this isn't information locked behind closed doors either.

Give me some sources on your claim that rich people are pursuing electro shock therapy in droves. Your link just goes over the procedure process, it says nothing about it's popularity or effectiveness. It also states that the shock therapy used today is much more developed than past versions.

Regan didnt "close down mental hospitals".
Shit actually started with ACU suing to stop nuts and wackos from being involuntarily committed.

or the (((ACU))) as some here call it

A lot of people think the tranny bronies they see on social media would be locked up in a mental asylum and drugged for being degenerate which gives them white sharia boners. They don't seem to realize that these people weren't being committed in the past simply because their embarrassed relatives shamed/slapped them out of being total faggots and they needed to pretend to be halfway normal to get a grunt work job and be on friendly terms with flesh and blood humans.

Today? Just spread your asscheeks and show the internet your butthole. Somebody out there will reinforce your delusions and tell you that the plebs who don't understand your exceptionalism are dragging you down. Furries were the patient zero demographic for everything you want solved with renewed mental asylums.

ted.com/talks/sherwin_nuland_on_electroshock_therapy

If only large scale mental health asylums had stuck around maybe they would be "much more developed than past versions" today.

There was a fad notion going around at that time.
Some well-meaning but naive social workers/psychiatrists thought that mental institutions were stigmatizing and actually prevented recovery for patients. A "community-based" approach–where patients were released into the public and expected to "integrate" with the public–was touted by experts and activists. Governments loved the idea, as it meant lower institutional costs. So Reagan was actually following the lead of "bleeding-heart liberals" and closed down asylums.

>be furry
>understand this
when you arent allowed to tell someone they have gone too far, its gone too far...

I wonder how much of that was good parenting and how much of that was fear that they would be shunned by their community if they allowed their child to openly be a dipshit?

Fear of the men in white coats taking in their child and causing shame to the parents might have been a factor.

>They were horrible hell holes that were exposed by the media,
All those media reports in 70s were about practices that were completely discredited and stopped in the 40s and 50s.

There was a coordinated media smear campaign by the kikes to get the states to shut down mental institutions so that kikes can get fat tax cuts.

We need a crooked private mental health industry tailored along the lines of the ineffective AOD rehab industry.

Well it certainly winds up concentrating the need-to-be-institutionalized populations in the blue states/counties.

They should be brought back, most homeless today are strung out mentally and basically need to be confined. It would help clean up our streets, and create jobs.

JFK cut the funding.

No, even geraldo rivera did a story about this and the mental house institutions were terrible.

Of course, jfk should have push reform and not cutting.

What I mean is that I don't think there's a mental illness epidemic at all so much as social media and internet pervasiveness almost completely neutralize the ability of local communities to influence people through peer pressure. It's more viable than ever before to opt out of fitting in with your neighbors, coworkers, even family. This can be a good thing in that it keeps stubborn conventional wisdom from strangling dissent in ignorance but also bad because it prevents healthy socialization into stable mores.

Social media is better at establishing a party line than any "whip" in government office could dream. Everybody wants to belong to something, even people who claim that a huge part of their identity is being a misfit. They're fine flipping off their parents, bosses, and members of the community, but they put a high premium on the approval of whatever new group that serves as their tribal surrogate.

There's no nuance or flexibility allowed. Extremist politics like SJW groupthink proliferated in a post-FaceBerg world because compromise is giving ground to the enemy and is therefore treason to the tribe. Want to be gay and think pride parades are abominations? Be prepared for at least 15 forty-something queens to dogpile your tweets and virtue signal how open degeneracy paved the way for you to be ungrateful to your forefaggots for giving you your human rights, for them to be liked and reshared by millions, and for you to be le downboated by as many people.

Because Reagan sucked jew cock and did what his handlers told him to

what do mentally ill people do thats so bad? anything worse than the "sane" nigger and spics? creating OS from scratch and exposing cia nigger cattle. better medicate them and stuff em in a hole because uhh reasons

Yes I can still vote and own firearms

ok I get it now. its libtards wanting to bring back gulags for wrong think.

That would explain why they moved the goalposts of what constitutes mental illness so it encompasses a third of the population

because medication advanced
there are still psychiatric hospitals, they just arent as common because women aren't been thrown in them just for having a mood swing on their blob anymore

Because they're really centers for torturing people.

Electroconvulsive therapy, lobodomies, all are just ways of having some nigger get his rocks off. Seal you in a room, lock you up, throw away the key. Even if you're healthy they can prevent you from getting out because they bill you for every day you're in there. Give you drugs that make men grow breasts, give you drugs that make you turn into Boogie. Female ones get raped by the staff on occasion. Rooms where they strap you up that look like pic related.

The people who staff these places are scum who deserve to be shot. There's drugs that don't make you grow tits or gain weight but because the majority of shrinks are sadists they don't market them at all.

Never trust anyone who has a psychology degree. A lot of them are literally Jews out for your money.

I would endorse sending my wife to one one a month

Redpilled white californians like myself spit on Reagan's (may he burn in hell) name.

hurr lets just amnesty beaners, let crazies wander aound on streets and deficit spend lmao ain't I great

he is the boomer hero, so you know he is shit

Because Reagan only cared about maintaining good public image by cutting taxes and spending, long-term consequences be damned

BACK TO r/the Donald with you

I'm mentally ill and endorse this. Killing yourself is risky I want a doctor to help me do it.

But it also keeps the loonies from killing random people in the community. One fuck that was released stabbed a 15 year old girl in my town.

In 1967, the Lanterman-Petris-Short Act (LPS Act) a so-called "bill of rights" for those with mental health problems passed the Democratic-controlled Assembly: 77-1. The Senate approved it by similar margins. Then-Gov. Reagan signed it into law.

Brown Sr. had already been rapidly reducing the number of people in Calif mental hospitals before Reagan was elected in 1966,

This, they also locked up pedos and lefties got mad because most pedos are faggots. There are tons of pity tales about gags getting tossed into institutions, they almost always leave out the part where they got caught touching little boys.

Well consider possibly the majority of them are ex convicted rapists, murderers and drug addicts I'd say you're an naive fool.

That reminds me, is Terry Davis still in prison?

The liberal retards of yore believed that the institutions made people mentally ill (riding the wave of 60s and 70s (((liberation))) ideology). Thus they thought community integration would fix them. Much like they view blacks today.

>Mother's severely mentally ill
>Tried to get her help for years, in and out of the hospital but still psychotic
>Doctors can't legally keep her in hospital long enough to establish anti-psychotic brain functioning

Feels bad man

I actually spent 3 days in one of these mental hospitals on a 5150 hold for threatening to commit suicide. We don't have mental institutions we have mental hospitals. I basically just sat around for 3 days- playing cards, watching TV, doing stupid group therapy talks, playing puzzles. I was heavily drugged the entire time.

The reason why Reagan shut down these mental institutions is because they didn't work. They were based on 50's pseudoscience. Things you see in Arkham Asylum like lobotomies, electroshock, padded rooms, and straight jackets just don't exist anymore. They were already being phased out during Reagan's time.

The modern way to treat mental illness is through medications. I've been taking Prozac ever since May 2016. I'm, not ashamed of it, it does work. It does give me more energy, does make me smile more. I was able to smile enough to land a job.

fpbp, give them a change to KYS in peace and give the rest gibs for living their miserable lives

That may work for situations like yours, but I can assure you, this Laissez-faire attitude isn't helping people with severe psychosis.

>Reagan
He didn't. Deinstitutionalization started in the 50s with the development of quality antipsychotics, followed by hippy/Jew shit in the 60s and really took off in the early 70s when it became illegal for mental institutions to make their patients work without pay. Reagan had nothing to do with it.

They were rife with horror stories of abuse and violence. Even forced sterilization. It was wildly overblows in the media, but they tell out of favor because of it.

Of course the same can. Be said of prisons and we still keep them open.

Care to elaborate?

>this is what happens when u get one of those narsissistic tv/movie celebs into office

wait a sec ....

Hepatitis A look up San Diego