GeGeGe no Kitarou

New Kitarou scanlations I'm uploading weekly.

Chapters 4-5 for now, but I have about another volume's worth translated.

If anyone has recommendations for an image dumper for Mac, I'd appreciate it.

I'll switch to using Kitaro instead of Kitarou whenever I finish this volume, and go back and edit the bato uploads I've done so far.

If anyone has constructive criticism for a guy doing all of this own his own, feel free to air it.

I'm downloading raws for the original Lupin III as I'm interested in older series - does anyone have interest in reading it too?

That finishes the first chapter. Give me a reply or two while I shower and I'll follow with another.

The thing that's great about Kitaro is you can literally jump in any time and read. There's very little continuity other than the introduction of new friends.

Thank you so much user, I feel like the scanlation community has lost some traction recently and it's always great to see someone be passionate about projects and do quality work.

Thanks. I'm going through a bit of unemployment while living in Japan so I thought I'd try to use my free time a bit more productively.

Also a Cease & Desist letter would be cool.

And that's the rather abrupt end of the issue.

Reading it raw is very similar to reading JoJo, in that there are basically blocks of texts explaining what the art's already depicting.

It's somewhat strange, but if you compare this to the wordiness of Western comics in the late 60s, it's not all that unusual, I suppose. The dialogue does feel rather modern in comparison though.

If anyone is interested in cleaning or typesetting later chapters so I can just translate, I'd appreciate the help.

One last bump and I'm off.

Thank you.

For some reason I thought this was completely scanlated. Must've confused the different editions.

Thank you.

>an image dumper for Mac
I recommend that you don't use a toy.

Only 7/17 of the original volumes were translated.

And that's only going off of the 1985 editions, which ignore 新ゲゲゲの鬼太郎 (New GeGeGe no Kitarou), 雪姫ちゃん (Snow Princess Chan), the original Hakaba no Kitaro tales,
国盗り物語 (Kitaro's Country Theft Tale), 死神大戦記 (Great Shinigami War), 青春時代 (Kitarou's Youth), 青春時代 (Sports Enthusiast Era), 鬼太郎とねずみ男 (Kitaro and Nezumi Otoko), or ゲゲゲの鬼太郎挑戦シリーズ (Kitaro's Challenge Series). Plus the countless rewrites and illustrated stories he did with the character ten years after those original paperbacks.

So I'd say roughly 15-20% of the available Kitaro stories are translated. It's difficult to gauge since the 60+ Complete Editions (each 400-700 pages) of Shigeru Mizuki's work haven't been completed yet, and some stories haven't been reprinted in years.

I've been using the same computer since 2009. I have to use a large laundry pin to hold down the cap locks key at all times because a coffee spill three years ago left my computer eternally restarting itself if it goes more than 8 seconds without some form of input. I can't even shut it down or close the laptop anymore, or it will continue to restart until draining the battery to 0%, unless it's plugged in, which would probably burn down my apartment.

At this point I think I'm too stubborn and stupid for anything else.

Just looked and I'd say roughly 30/275+ stories have been translated.

That's not accounting for some of those stories lasting months, while others were simply a single chapter released one week.

Thank you.

Time for one more as I eat lunch.

This story was incredibly self-aware and I think it suffered a little bit for that. Definitely a different kind of humor.

And that concludes another chapter. Hopefully a few more people could enjoy it.

I'll keep trying in an attempt to make Shigeru Mizuki more popular - his works definitely deserve it.

Mizuki's okay as a writer, his art is the appeal for me.

There's a repetitiveness to his words that make it easy to read, which makes focusing on the art easier too.

My biggest complaint would be that he often describes exactly what he's shown, but considering how the material was so strange for its time, and dealing with fantastical concepts that weren't common, I guess it's not so surprising.

Art is definitely the main draw either way.

Page 10 hell.