What is good about a "comfy" series?

What is good about a "comfy" series?

Other urls found in this thread:

tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Iyashikei
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

comfy is comfy

"Comfy" is a meaningless buzzword people use when they can't properly explain why they like something and think it's good.

It makes you feel relaxed, and you don't have to think or focus much.

a good relaxing series should evoke a feeling like falling asleep on a porch, on top of the grass, at spring with a nice temperature and mild sunlight.
Once you have that then you can also have characters, themes etc but the important part is always tone.

Best example is Windy Tales.

sometimes people just want warm interactions and easygoing situations in their media

It's very easy to watch, no matter how motivated you are or what mood you are in.

This is not true, comfy obviously was never meant to be catch-all term.

No, it describes a particular kind of feeling people get when they watch a show. It describes the type of enjoyment more than the reason for enjoyment.

It helps you forget your sorrows and smile and laugh at others being happy, knowing not everything is shit in this world.

It's one of those 'let's pretend to be 8 year old' words like cunny, kissu and other assorted degenerate shit

Or normie.

>comfy is a "degenerate" word

no

Comfy= nothing happens, cute girls do cute things, you dont have to follow the plot because there isnt one etc.

It's just a catch-all phrase for stories with a certain type of atmosphere. Do you consider "creepy" or "action-packed" to be buzzwords too? It's the same shit. Don't go maximum sperg over something like this.

What if she's on her period

>you will never know how that feels

edgy kids won't understand

I want Sup Forums to leave

Comfy is all about winter, when it's snowing and very cold, but you're inside, under a blanket, sipping some warm beverage.

Keit-ai

>its associated with things i don't like so its a buzzword
"buzzword" itself has become a buzzword

>What does "comfy" mean in terms of characters?
- You like them and wouldn't mind having them as friends.

>What does "comfy" mean in terms of story?
- Simplicity.
- The characters live no-drama, relatively stress free lives, and thus there's no danger of any sort of stress being transferred to you as a viewer.
- Episodes are usually self contained and episodic, with any problem brought up being resolved by the end. No doubt happily.

>What does "comfy" mean in terms of setting?
- "Ahhh, I'd love to live there!"

Comfy is when you've been yelled at by your boss, had a fight with a friend, and are trapped in an inescapable situation; but then there's a light that brings you the slightest bit of happiness and you feel warmth from it.

That is what Comfy is.

Winter can fuck off

Can grimdark be comfy?
And what about some comfy edginess in a dark fantasy setting ?

Mushishit

This is more true than not.

This guy has a point. There's definitely a comfy aesthetic, things like fireplaces in the winter, stuff that people associate with warm, pleasant feelings. But I also see people just use it in place of any useful description of what they liked about a show.

I noticed this particularly with Flying Witch. When I tried to watch it, I didn't find it appealing at all, so I tried to see what people were praising about it to understand why it was recommended so highly. And literally all the praise was just people calling it comfy. All that told me was that some people got into a good mood while watching it. So all I could do was conclude that I didn't "get it", and drop it.

> And literally all the praise was just people calling it comfy

what if it was indeed comfy and you simply were unable to appreciate it?

there's nothing wrong if you don't get the same appreciation. comfy covers many things. i suspect a lot of the people who hate the word are just not at a place in their lives where they can appreciate some of those things so it seems foreign. and they talk shit.

but it's fine to not be moved by a certain thing. as long as you're moved by something.

I'm perfectly able to find a show comfy. I just don't find it very useful for describing it. It's like saying that a show was exciting, or that watching it made you happy. It only describes your subjective experience, not the show itself. If you start going into what exactly you think caused that subjective experience, that's suddenly a lot more constructive.

replace 'comfy' with 'good' in that exchange. Do you see the problem now?

What is she doing with the fan?

cooling down

When I say comfy I just mean relaxing, A show that I look forward to because of the laid back story and characters doing slice of life things.

What's good about them is making you switch off and just mellowing out to some cute girls doing some shit in the boonies.

"good" is way more vague than "comfy". If you ask for "comfy" anime most people know what you are looking for, namely

>ywn be that fan

comfy is low energy shows that make you smile and give you a warm comforting feeling.

comfy anime is pretty much just iyashikei anime.

Getting air in your vagina can kill you.

>Iyashikei
tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Iyashikei

Do girls actually do this?

Some people seem to think that all idyllic settings are automatically comfy. That's the problem with shows like Flying Witch and NNB. They have "comfy," idyllic settings, but they aren't actually comfy shows, in fact, they get quite adventurous at times, which is literally the opposite of comfy.

>NNB
>not comfy
Sorry, what?

I haven't seen Flying Witch yet so I wouldn't know, but NNB is the definition of comfy.

the mise en scène, usually

Iyashikei should apply though.

It's also not that adventurous.

I know some people that describe games like insurgency and anime like aldonoah zero or psycho pass as comfy. Are they sociopaths? I just think they're retards.

Perhaps "predictable" is a more accurate label.

To me "comfy" shows are ones with a lot character development, friendship, and the stakes aren't very high.

I like You're Under Arrest because most of their day is hanging out with friends and giving out tickets and not taking things very seriously.

Iyashikei can be legitimately cathartic if it really gets to you, or at least be soothing and bring a feeling of understated happiness.
Can also just turn into a snoozefest if it's not your kinda thing or you're not in the mood though, don't try to force yourself to like it.

You can fuck off, winter is the best and comfiest season

>skirts in winter
retarded

>Sup Forums newfag tries to fit in

Comfy is a real thing, it's just that the english word is less descriptive than the original Japanese iyashi sentiments. It's closer to like "healing". That type of thing has been getting more popular in Japan lately because of the stress of daily life a lot of Japanese people face in their work and school environments, and it describes a lot more than just media. It is a vague and fuzzy but distinct and well-understood tone or feeling, trying to describe it more specifically is like trying to describe happiness or sadness or love, you can only give examples; a show can be comfy because x y and z but at the end of the day getting more descriptive than comfy isn't meaningful.

It's just a shitty way to say relaxing, stress-relieving

Whenever someone says "comfy" I expect a ":3" to follow up

I can confirm that Japanese high school girls actually do wear them in winter, I see it a lot. They have warm skin-tone leggings and stuff a lot of the time, or black like you see in anime, but a lot of girls will have bare legs with socks, elementary school boys too often have short as fuck shorts in the winter, which seems much worse honestly.

K-On! is the comfiest show in existence.

>100x100 gif

As a guy it feels amazing to cool down my dick/balls after working up a sweat with a fan aimed right at it. Imagine it's the same for women.

Relaxing or stress relieving is different than comfy, even if they often come together. A lot of things can be relaxing or stress-relieving without being comfy, like violent video games or the like. That isn't comfy but for a lot of people it can relieve stress or be relaxing.

why would a girl not be into fan-service?

comfy character interactions > comfy anything else

Of course, World of Darkness ultra-comf

It requires little thought from the watcher, with little to no coherent story of value; instead focusing more on visual overloads to entertain viewers.

Basically

u rang?

I really want to be a girl to know how this feels.

that looks cold desu

and dehydrating

maybe comfy on a hot hot day

Comfy means lame and boring.

End of thread.

It depends on what you consider comfy. Some people think slasher horror flicks are comfy. And in this way, 'comfy' has just become a synonym for 'show I like'. Its an empty term.

It's vague but not empty. And only psychos find slasher flicks comfy

Someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed today

I like to sit down and watch a good "comfy" show when I'm on a break from school. Gives me time to watch the show in it's entirety within 2-3 days and get really attached to it's characters and put myself in their world. Nothing beats when I watched Engaged to the Unidentified one Christmas break. Perfect snowy setting with lovable characters.

To sum things up, what's 'good' about a comfy anime is it makes you feel all warm and cozy.

this is nice board

Comfy shows let you turn your brain off for 23 minutes. Isn't that what we want out of life?

I don't like them.

They're good anime. Fuck you Yuasa