Kimi no Na wa. Becomes the Highest Grossing Anime Film of All Time

Oh yeah, baby.
otakutale.com/2017/kimi-no-na-wa-becomes-highest-grossing-anime-film-time/

Other urls found in this thread:

the-numbers.com/movie/Kimi-no-na-wa-(Japan)#tab=international
youtube.com/watch?v=TcWPiHjIExA
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-01-16/your-name-shin-godzilla-earn-japan-academy-prize-nods/.111097
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-01-16/shinkai-your-name-rises-to-no.2-at-box-office-resident-evil-falls-to-no.3/.111100
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-01-16/shinkai-your-name-tops-s-korean-box-office-in-2nd-weekend/.111101
oscars.org/oscars/89th-academy-awards-key-dates
goldderby.com/awardshows/expert-predictions/oscars-nominations-2017/animated-feature/sort/recent/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Otaku fan service bait again makes the top selling spot. It must be a real genre-breaker!

Miyazaki spotted wandering around cinemas and shooting into audiences with a flare gun.

Delete this

somehow a movie came along that deserves that distinction even less than spirited away

what a time to be dead inside

the-numbers.com/movie/Kimi-no-na-wa-(Japan)#tab=international

That explains why this supposedly popular movie had an essentially empty theater down here.

Miyazaki on suicide watch

Miyazaki BTFO

It's a cartoon movie that doesn't have anthropomorphic animals, it will never succeed in the west.

still not available for download

baka

Chances of Kei-Ai memeing his way to win the oscars?

nobody would allow an anime to win the oscars

>ripping off Kei-tai idea from Sup Forums
>making big money
>insulting miyazaki

Why is this allowed.

Why is Shinkai getting away with it.

Why is Sup Forums so dumb as not to copyright that idea?

We could have made enough money to keep Sup Forums off the hands of some japanese jew, who is now scamming us for money "to keep the site afloat".

Seriously, sometimes I fukcing hate all of you.

nigga what

Ghibli won because it is some orientalist art-house crap that critics love.

Shinkai's crap will never win, though. Since it is as mainstream as it can get.

commercial success =! favorite of the critics

kek, is this fucking real?
sad miyazaki

"Two nukes wasn't enough"

-Hayao Miyazaki

The gap is even bigger after the update.

>wasn't

Miyazaki should learn english

inb4 "that's the joke"

Please come to California!

Nobody wants to go to your shit hole.

Maybe Miyazaki will try again now, this is a blessing in disguise.

t. literal who country/state

*muffled Miyazaki's screams playing in the distance*

Pedro please.

Actually the first 3 Gundam movies are the highest gross anime film because they launched a billion dollar franchise.

Sorry Kimi wo Shit, but you will never be #1.

Is that inflation-adjusted or not? The yen has fluctuated quite a bit over the years.

Nice goalposts, I almost didn't see them way over there

meh.
It's pretty overrated.

I don't think he cares about profits at this point. The Wind Rises was pretty anti-commercial, it would've totally flown under the radar if it didn't have Miyazaki's name on it.

(Also, he still made 5 out of 10 highest grossing films and got basically every award an anime director can get)

Inflation rate is close to 0 since 1990

Pretty sure Pokemon is an order of magnitude bigger as a franchise than Gundam.

it already aired for a little while in LA pedro

I too, am a massive contrarian who hates everything popular.

Also I don't like anime.

Kill me.

P-Pokemon was popular before the movies, so it doesn't count

>LA
Then aren't you a Pedro?

>Funny, likeable characters
>Good plot
>Great plot twist
>Excellent visual direction
>Good Ending
And will still probably lose awards to anthropomorphic animals in a typical Disney story all because it's Japanese.

Why do Asians have better taste than the West?
Do teens or adults even watch that CG shit or do they get all of that money from Murrican families?

Dinsey's lineup was weak that year. The Oscar voters don't even watch the nominees for best animated feature except the ones with kids who vote for whatever they took their kid to see. This year it will probably go to Furry Bait: The motion Picture.

The Oscars, like every other award show in the US exist for Hollywood celebrities to fellate themselves on camera for hours at a time.
The only reason it would be mentioned would be so some Pixar/Disney film would beat it.

Who the fuck cares about Miyazaki anyway. Fucking arrogant old shit acts like he invented anime.

Focus, the West puts less focus on animation since it's usually just for kids where Asians put effort on animation for all audiences.

UNMEI DA TOKA MIRAI TOKA

So, you think he's going to make good use of the money and go on to release a filmography comparable to ghibli's or is he already swimming in drugs and whores?

I think it's just biased of them calling anime childish because it's drawn while shit like CG movies with animals fleeing from a zoo are totally for adults and not childish at all. You can tell that most of these shows' target audience are three year olds, it's not even teens or something like with anime.

nice reddit repost now go back

youtube.com/watch?v=TcWPiHjIExA
problem?

The director himself said the movie is shit. You're all retarded.

Just waiting for the news that he overdosed on cocaine taken from a loli's asscrack

>I think it's just biased of them calling anime childish because it's drawn while shit like CG movies with animals fleeing from a zoo are totally for adults and not childish at all
It IS considered childish, the most bias things like the Oscars have is that they disregard standard anime tropes as they review most if not all animations as "targeted towards children", so Kimi no Na Wa would get points off for the panties scene, the running gag of Taki rubbing 3Ha's breasts while in her body, etc. and completely shove off all the good aspects, while Zootopia and Moanna have the backing of a huge animation studio and follows the standard Disney routine of "nothing too extreme, but THIS is the thing",
The closest they got to a non-typical Disney flick was the Black Cauldron, and despite it actually being pretty good, they shun it and never tried anything like it.

it's also important to remember that Shrek and Happy Feet won the Oscar

Shrek was a Deconstruction of the Fairy Tail genre and was actually pretty good with an all-star cast, pretty deserving despite the memes.

>he already swimming in drugs and whores
Lol, he's too beta for that.
I bet he's just lurking on some jap board as we speak.

He should lose the retarded hair on his chin

Get out with your memes.

The West is smarter about their target audience. Make a CG movie about anthropomorphic animals targeted at young kids so when the kids go watch it, the parents and the rest of the family accompany them -> 2-4x the tickets sold.

Meanwhile anime is targeted towards teenagers. Neither kids nor parents want to go watch the edgy, awkward, over dramatic shit that teenagers obsess over.

It's already quite surprising to see Kimi no Na wa achieve this level of success in Asia considering it looks like mainstream anime, which is regarded poorly by the general populace. But it will most likely flop in the West as only existing anime fans will buy tickets.

Asia has always been big on Anime or even animations in general, SEA in particular.

I should've mentioned it was up against Monsters Inc

honestly besides Spirited Away and the two mentioned in my previous post the Animation Oscar has always been a Pixar/Disney win by default

oh and Shrek was just an anti-Disney screed and shit when it came out and remains shit today

I can't get past how perfect Shrek is as far as character development, pacing, and some qualities of the presentation (its visuals have aged well and the voicework is on par with serious acting from "arthouse" films.

Are we expected for a bd release in March?

UK release is at the end of October so I'd say about three months before that. I'm guessing mid-June.

NO BREAKS ON THE SHINKAI TRAIN:
>Your Name. nominated for Japanese Academy Award
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-01-16/your-name-shin-godzilla-earn-japan-academy-prize-nods/.111097

>Your Name. rises back to #2 in the Japanese Box Office
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-01-16/shinkai-your-name-rises-to-no.2-at-box-office-resident-evil-falls-to-no.3/.111100

>Your Name. still #1 in South Korean box office
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-01-16/shinkai-your-name-tops-s-korean-box-office-in-2nd-weekend/.111101

Kinema Junpo award is still much more prestigious.

Go to bed Tomino.

How many dicks do you think Mitsuha took before she met Taki again? 8 years is a long time.

I just hope Shinkai release a 5cm movie 10 times more bitter to remove the weed fanbase.

None. She's pure.

Did you watch the fucking movie?
Or are you burgers?

Mitsuha is pure. Fuck you.

I've seen it 6 times, your point?

is it just me or is this brutally overrated?

I admit i watched it distractedly and it was a bad rip, but it seemed like such a generic love story. The premise was cool but they could have developed it better and more in depth.

I haven't seen it yet myself, but it doesn't look all that interesting. Maybe if I see more screencaps my outlook might at least turn towards interest in the artwork but as of now I have seen next to nothing about this that looks remarkable.

It's not only still in the top 10 in Japan's box office, it's back in second place.
So a BD release won't be for a while.

When will it finally come on DVD?

It wasnt too bad, but nothing mind blowing either imo.
I think people tend to vastly overrate love stories. Like that stupid disney short that won the oscar last year, of the guy throwing paper planes to get the girl. So superficial and stupid.

January 23rd is going to be nuclear fallout here. I might skip this board that day.

is that when it's coming to theatres in the states?

DELTE TIS RIGHT NOW

Nigga, it will be the most historical thing on this board, mods will sticky that shit.

Italy, according to IMDB. April 7th is the NA release if you believe that, which is hilarious. Might as well just wait for the BDs at that point.

Oscar nominations are announced Jan 23, 2017.

>April 7th
it's like they want people to pirate it

ah I forgot that was coming so soon

I know.
It's a joint operation between Sup Forums and Sup Forums

Sorry, I meant 24th actually. Still will be awful to browse for a day though.

oscars.org/oscars/89th-academy-awards-key-dates

Is there a single oscar nominations predictions list that has Your Name on it?

Because I couldn't find one

It will not be nominated, nobody puts it in the top 5 and it was not nominated to Golden Globes
goldderby.com/awardshows/expert-predictions/oscars-nominations-2017/animated-feature/sort/recent/

January 24th

>Kimi no Na Wa is nominated
>Sup Forums is engulfed with shitposters screaming "FINDS A WAY" and "MIYAZAKI BTFO"

>Kimi no Na Wa is not nominated
>Sup Forums is engulfed with Sup Forums shitposters screaming "HAHA ANIME FAGS BTFO"

Like I said, it will be an awful day on Sup Forums, either way.

>mfw sausage party gets a nomination over Shinkai

January 24th will truly be a monumental day

I'm convinced none of these people have even watched some nerdy anime movie.

This. Most Oscar nominees often also been on Golden Globes, in which was absent.
Sorry Sup Forums, the memes dies at this point.

There's just something so fundamentally glorious about the idea of the highest grossing anime film of all time not even being remotely considered by Hollywood. It feels like the medium will forever be free.

>Cinema Junpo
>literally who until it excluded Your Name out of ranking and used that as an advertisement
Even the most prestigious award needs to catch the train somehow.

Anime has always been looked down on in western society, the highest grossing film for 2016 could be an anime movie and they'll still think Sausage Party or Moana is better.

>It feels like the medium will forever be free
unless Scarjo-st in the Shell does well

>inflation
According to one of those online calculator things, 1000 yen in 2001 is the equivalent of around 1025 today, so the effect is minimal.

The real question is how many dicks Taki took.

It won't. There's no fucking chance that movie will be anything other than an abomination.