Post films or series that people pretend to like

Post films or series that people pretend to like.

I'll start

Utena

So much this.

When I asked a retard "what did he like about it?", his response was something like
>I don't know, but it felt mature

Sup Forums is full of MALtards anyway who pretend they like shits like this.

Sounds like you only talk to retards, which says more about you really.

>>I don't know, but it felt mature
This is actually the truth behind the opinion of most people who praise Oshii films.

EVA, it isn't acutally good, and i don't get why it's so hyped. IT doesn't have meaning it just has symbols thrown in, and not actually used properly. Tinfoil hat motherfuckers put together some rickety ass meaning from it that I'm sure the creators had no intention of communicating

>all those people who will start with S3

Oshii films in general are good though, but not that piece of shit Angel's Egg.

People were taking like that long before Sup Forums existed. Before then, we called then Toonami idiots. And before Toonami they were 'I only watch shows like Eva' idiots.

The religious imagery and references are there just to look cool, but most things in the anime does have meaning and depth. NGE may be a bit overrated, but it's legitimately a very good and essential anime regardless. It excels almost all areas

Urusei Yatsura is tied for my favorite anime movie and there's nothing mature about it. The truth is that most people only know Oshii for his movies 'like Ghost in the Shell' and ignore that he did a lot of comedy and parody.

Hyouka

Why should a creator be the sole arbiter of meaning in a work? Who says he has the final say in what a work "means"? I know youre baiting but I was thinking of this quesiton anyway.

>It excels almost all areas
and the ending is not one of those areas

>but most things in the anime does have meaning and depth
Not him, but kek'd hard.

I liked every episode Anno directed, the others were a slog.

Rakugo
Tatami Galaxy
Hyouka
Natsume Yuujinchou
.hack//SIGN
Panty & Stocking
Shinsekai Yori
Mobile Suit Gundam
Kara no Kyoukai
Kill la Kill
Space Dandy
Fune wo Amu
Shinkai movies

Oshii films have amazing cinematography and atmosphere but fucking hell they're hard to sit through.

Ghost in the Shell was a garbage adaptation.

>Shinkai movies

Top sizzle. Unfortunately, Sup Forums really does have taste shit enough to enjoy Shinkai

In interviews and stuff Anno intentionally downplays all this. The religious stuff makes a lot of sense in the context of the show, which is about the apocalypse and prophecies. Even the name "Neon Genesis Evangelion" means something like gospel of the new century, which fits with the ideas of rebirth from the both the start and end of the show.
Both endings are a really good conclusion for the feeling of the show and the themes.

Eva is good because of its direction, not so much its content. The story content and characters fall apart by the end and the mecha/religious symbolism is so superfluous even Anno himself admits it. But its kind of like The West Wing. The way character dialogue and scenes were directed, it was a one of a kind thing. And got people to watch even when they didn't like the subject material.

Now of course the Eva fanbase has turned it into 'the citizen kane of anime'. Which makes it fucking annoying.

everything from "Sup Forums recommendation lists".

I really do enjoy Angel's Egg. It's GItS that I hate.

The film is confusing but it's such a cozy watch with some amazing art.
Space Dandy has some great episodes, but the rest of those shows are shit.

Also. evangelion is fucking boring.

>make up random fanfiction
>this work is amazing, you guise!
Death of the Author is retarded bullshit invented by post-modernists that the SJWs and other denialists latched onto because it allows them to ignore facts and reality.

the series was fun as hell. the movie was mediocre though/

>post-modern boogieman

>Now of course the Eva fanbase has turned it into 'the citizen kane of anime'.
Ugh, agreed, I hate this. Evangelion is a much higher work of art than Citizen Kane.

Name your top 5 favorite anime in order.

>I don't know, but it felt mature
My fucking sides.

>millennial
>likes ghibli stuff
Not even once. Maybe if you were trying to fit in some circlejerk.

I like it because it manages to tell something akin to a story primarily with very pretty visuals and symbolism

Akin to 2001: ASO in that way. Like a moving painting.

Whether there's anything inherently "deep" about the narrative is completely subjective and a question for blowhards.

I've only watched a couple but Spirited Away was genuinely good albeit overrated.

I love layers of pretension in the morning.
>These Oshii movies are pretentious drivel people pretend to like
>Actually my favorite work from him is his work in Urusei Yatsura (1981)
Same as "LOGH is mature" vs. "I'm too mature to like what these people consider mature."

>pretend to like
No one does that.

Kiki, Kaguya and Whisper of the Heart are the only acceptable Ghibli movies.

You watch 2001:ASO for the visuals and read the book for everything else. Angel's Egg doesn't have that.

>You watch 2001:ASO for the visuals and read the book for everything else
Maybe if you're an idiot. 2001 has a very simple story and it's portrayed well primarily through visuals rather than dialogue.

1. Lupin III
2. Trigun
3. NHK
4. Cyborg 009 (2002)
5. Chobits (was my 1st romance anime so it stuck with me)

I think this list might be changed because i've seen so much anime, but these are the 1st that really come to mind.

Trying way too hard.
Stick to the moeblobs and science fiction "literature" kiddo, cinema isn't for you

Although Angel's Egg is boring, I have to give praise to its visual aspects, the movie is beautiful .

I disagree. Visual symbols are more powerful in visual media than a bunch of exposition.

Kubrick and Clarke's interpretations are very different and should be judged separately.

Suck a chode.
Konosuba is legit.

Idol shows

Go ahead, ask a fan about specific episodes, in person so they can't use google. Nobody actually watches idol shows.

I did watch some ghibli stuff when I was a kid, they didn't leave any impact for me though. I didn't dislike them but didn't love them either, the retro-like artstyle especially I just can't stand it.

The shit I read on this board

>I've never seen Cagliostro

it's the best film.

Do the world a favor and fucking kill yourself

A movie has to be more than a painting however. A lot of people don't like 2001 because it is a huge art piece. And a very well crafted one. But it being a movie, it still needs characters and plot. And even a die hard fan of 2001 who understands the plot will admit that the plot is lacking.

In the same way, Angel's Egg feels like an art piece. As long as you admit that it is just a giant art piece, like say the AniMatrix, then I'll agree with you. But as a 'movie', it was lackluster.

This is also why the anime version of Metropolis is total shit. 2 hours of super expensive rotoscoping and CGI for what is basically a 5 minute 'I'll kill all the androids out of jealousy!' story. While the original Fritz Lang Metropolis had a story worth telling over 2 hours.

is it time for cinegrids?

why do people pretend to hate naruto?

Rewatched this just last week. And it feel apart exactly where I remembered. It is just sad how a show with such a high budget and starting potential was killed. But I guess this is the Sunrise mecha team after all.

S1 was amusing to say the least. But reflecting back on it now that S2 is airing it really was a pile of shit.

Naruto sometimes has decent art, but the writing is what ruins it. Also Naruto as a character is obnoxious as shit.

To avoid interaction with naruto fans

Not Ghibli

Bowman's trippy journey in the book is much more interesting than several minutes of flashing lights in the film. They're complementary works, but 2001 the film, although wonderfully directed, is pretty barebones without the book.

>Naruto sometimes has decent art, but the writing is what ruins it.
how is angel's egg any different

Is there a single living soul in this galaxy who liked this garbage? Don't think so.

You should try watching some Ghibli films now as an adult. I didn't thought much of them as a kid either, but changed my mind many years later when I tried to rewatch some of them.

You are a fucking retard

>done by Miyazaki
>made by people who worked on Ghibli.
you might as well say the same about the other non Ghibli films posted in
if you want to get technical.

we narutofriends keep to ourselves

Porco Rosso and Whisper of the Heart are the best tied. The fact that you didn't mention Porco Rosso makes you look stupid. Not to mention how all the Ghibli films are worth watching except Earthsea.

tfw naruto has better art than pretentious shit like angel's egg

because Angels egg is 50 minutes long. Naruto is hundreds of episodes.

>.hack//SIGN
>Mobile Suit Gundam
What?

>symbolism
You mean random, incoherent use of christian stuff, because it's so KEWL~.

Cool counter point dude.

why not just watch one or two arcs then, you'd still be able to appreciate naruto's brilliance

Your point? Shinkai movies are also beautiful, despite everything else is garbage.

Angel's Egg is the same.

chill the fuck out. dont ruin the thread with all that naruto garbage again. Go make a thread for it if you want to post it so bad.

Huh, I cant really place your taste at all. Since you actually posted a list I wont shit on the picks, never seen Cyborg 009 anyway so cant really say. Just surprised those were your picks despite disliking GiTS and EVA. I thought you'd have super high standards or something but maybe EVA really just is boring tripe to some people.

This isn't a debate class. Arguing with retards is a waste of time. But let it be known: you are a retard.

I don't know much about that series, but when I was a small child I appreciated the vidya.

>again
i've never ruined a thread over anything

The only episode of Naruto I could really say is good is the Shikimaru flashback episode. Which was practically animated by one guy. And its surrounded by so much filler that no one even remembers it.

>brilliance
ive seen 47 episodes. It's not a good show, user.

Lol no you don't. You guys are weird.

I have good taste user.

>This isn't a debate class.
That's right. Because if it was, you'd be judged as the loser for not providing a counter point.

>Arguing with retards is a waste of time.
Yet you keep responding. So maybe you're the retard.

shikimaru episodes are always 10/10

FACT: naruto haters will never have as much fun as those three

>muh precious headcanon

Afro samurai is just the definition of mindless entertainment that you turn your brain off watching. It's okay to pass time, but don't expect anything more than that.

>A movie has to be more than a painting however.
I was going to just reply with this pic and leave it at that but I'll bite.

Not really. A movie can be anything. You're stuck in stage-mode of film appreciation if you think movies are only as good as their parts that mimic theater (granted, so are the Academy Awards).

I mean these may be things (you) personally look for in a movie but that's totally subjective.

I'll agree Lang's Metropolis was superior but the ending was totally didactic and ham-fisted. That said they're completely different stories Tezuka hadn't even seen the German version.

can you post some that is not Naruto?

>It's not a good show
it is but you have to watch it all in order to fully appreciate it

it has the greatest message about peace in anime history

Awful taste. But at least I have to commend you for not being a try hard with your picks

>can you post some that is not Naruto?
no, i do not have any that aren't naruto

The socially acceptable ones keep to themselves.

This may surprise you, but nobody actually cares what you think.