For those of you with huge collections of anime (100gb+)...

For those of you with huge collections of anime (100gb+), how will you feel when 4k comes out and you have to replace your entire collection with 4k videos?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/OkynjEznLm8?t=168
youtu.be/7LgHOUTZ8Gc?t=1367
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Cool story brah. People mainly still download 720p versions.

>4096x2160
Not interested.

But anime is produced generally in 720p, no magic will make anything not in a special resolution like Hyouka look any better.

I have a 4k tv and i keep watching stuff in full hd, the difference is not worth the filesize

Correction, it's streamed to Japanese TVs at 720p. The original footage can be whatever resolution since animators use vectors which scale infinitely.

Perfectly fine with a 1440p monitor and 720p chinese cartoons, so I don't care.

>mastering resolution
learn it

anime peaks at 720p above that is a waste of space

99% of people aren't going to replace their collection for upscaled images. 1080p unless they actually animate aimed at 4K quality there's no point in using it. 4K is really for IRL shit and other 3D shit at this point.

>huge
>(100gb+)

100GBs is like less than 10 shows with 25 episodes each, all encoded at 720p .h264 8bit. That's a small collection. Most people I know have at least 750GB to a terabyte. Raise your bar

Mostly, but it sometimes depends. Watching Redline at 1080 was great

>>The original footage can be whatever resolution since animators use vectors which scale

This is patently false.

Baka over half of my collection isn't even 720p. Anime will always be behind on technology same as game consoles. By the time I get a 4k TV you'll be asking me why I don't have a 20k TV.

>since animators use vectors which scale infinitely.

Although there are vectorization techniques out there, that's not something animators use as they aren't precise. Also, backgrounds are plain textures, so they can't scale up indefinitely.

When can I expect my chinese cartoons to look like this?

ANIME IS HIGHLY COMPRESSIBLE SO YOU CAN GET AWAY WITH VERY LOW FILESIZES EVEN AT 4K AND ESPECIALLY ENCODED WITH HEVC

I think there will be no more than 8k tv

When native 4k anime comes out, obviously.

the fuck are you on?
I have around 500 episodes of anime and thats under 55gb, and that's my unsorted folder.

Stop getting placebo 1:1 rips of anime, its retarded,

Download an episode at 720p and 1080p and if there is no change in quality when you switch back and forth, keep the 720p, hell, there is a significant amount that never went above 480p in quality scaling, japan has notoriously bad archiving.

also, get hi10 encodes, saves a fuckload of space for minimal quality difference at worst, to higher quality at higher resolutions with lower file sizes at best.

As far as I know, there are no new anime currently being released in 4k. Any existing digital age anime future-released in 4k will be upscales, and most likely inferior upscales to what MadVR can accomplish.
4k releases of analog-age anime might be nice, though, as will future new anime mastered in 4k, whenever that happens. I think it'll be a long time before that happens, though, since there are very few anime being released even today at full 1080p.
Incorrect. Many anime every season are released at a resolution above 720p. The Japanese website Anibin publishes the resolution of every anime released every season. If Anibin tags an anime as HV1280+ then it's worth it to download any 1080p versions of it.

>Also, backgrounds are plain textures, so they can't scale up indefinitely.
Handpainted backgrounds can be scanned at whatever resolution you want, but most anime nowadays use digital backgrounds, so that's not an option.

>I think there will be no more than 8k tv
I honestly doubt we will move to 8k for any other reason then the difference in panel cost is so negligible that it would make more sense to go 8k if only for when you have one or two pixels fuck up its almost impossible to see, as even for the smallest living rooms, 4k is already retardedly overkill outside of projectors.

Unless they do true remasters to 4k or remaster the fucking darkened areas, there is no reason to replace shit.

I agree completly.

I would probably need to add a few terabytes, and maybe I would be forced to upgrade a processor on my streaming server.
I don't see any problem; it's just a few hundred bucks.

>he fell for the bloatgirls meme

>i have no idea what i'm talking about

Frames are hand drawn and scanned in. The only digital part is the coloring. This isn't Flash.

youtu.be/OkynjEznLm8?t=168

Nah, user is right. My Gundam collection alone takes up >500gb of space, and I don't have all the gundam series on there (no AGE, SEED Destiny, Build Fighters, still have horrible subs rip for G reco)

Stop using shitty rips. You're disgusting.

>Frames are hand drawn and scanned in
yeah, maybe 10 years ago

I'll buy a bigger hard drive and redownload everything

They're still done that way. Stop digging yourself into a deeper hole.

youtu.be/7LgHOUTZ8Gc?t=1367

Do you people seriously consider 100GB a lot?

I only started collecting rips about 3 years ago and am on about 2.5TB. Storage isn't expensive either.

Except that's still what most anime studios do today.

>(100gb+)
>Not downloading 40MB/Ep Anime

I guess 4 years now that it's THE CURRENT YEAR +1.

Was meant for

I don't collect anime, and my collection is something like 1-1.5 Tb.

>japan still uses paper
what the fuck

they could only afford it thanks to kickstarter shekels

>what the fuck
Was that meant to be a question? I personally love the intoxicating smell of a new book.

I thought Shirobako was popular on Sup Forums. How are people still this ignorant?

Does your collection have the same Teekyuu episodes mulitple times or something?

graphics tablets are a thing, and given how anime reuses the same eyes and gestures a lot, it'd save a lot more money to reuse those layers.

So are 30gb seasons a meme? I always download the biggest one because I see 1080p and FLAC.

>I have around 500 episodes of anime and thats under 55gb, and that's my unsorted folder.
Wh-what? Average HS 720p release is 0.34gb so you'd atleast hit 40gb if you finished 10 shows at the end of a season.

4k is a meme resolution.

>downloading more than 14gb for a two-cour show

>entire collection

Because everything will get a 4k remaster right? Probably half of my collection are still DVD quality and another half of that would see no benefit at all getting a remaster since everything in the mid 2000s SD quality is literally the best quality you can get.

>How are people still this ignorant?
Get with the times, in 5 years all anime will be made exclusively on computers, and in another 10 years they will all be full CGI.

That would be awful. Do you want all anime to look like Family Guy?

Flac is unnecessary bloat and should be used for archiving and reencoding to a lossy file, not for playback.

They practically do already.

Compression gets better, hard drives get cheaper. It basically evens out.

Show me a WebM.

>and another half of that would see no benefit at all getting a remaster since everything in the mid 2000s SD quality is literally the best quality you can get.
I wish Japan would start pumping out waifu2x upscales of digital-era 480p anime right now. We'd get benefit from that right now while PCs are still too slow to do realtime waifu2x upscaling.

family guy is better animated than most anime. anime artists try to do as little as they can to keep costs down.

source: long riders, konosuba, anne happy, mayoiga, netoge.

anyanimepost2000.webm

You're wrong.

What a meme poster

Hearing the difference now isn't the reason to encode to FLAC. FLAC uses lossless compression, while MP3 is 'lossy'. What this means is that for each year the MP3 sits on your hard drive, it will lose roughly 12kbps, assuming you have SATA - it's about 15kbps on IDE, but only 7kbps on SCSI, due to rotational velocidensity. You don't want to know how much worse it is on CD-ROM or other optical media.

I started collecting MP3s in about 2001, and if I try to play any of the tracks I downloaded back then, even the stuff I grabbed at 320kbps, they just sound like crap. The bass is terrible, the midrange…well don’t get me started. Some of those albums have degraded down to 32 or even 16kbps. FLAC rips from the same period still sound great, even if they weren’t stored correctly, in a cool, dry place. Seriously, stick to FLAC, you may not be able to hear the difference now, but in a year or two, you’ll be glad you did.

Flac is a meme for most cases. But 1:1 is superior if everything else is the same.
So if you have HD TV, then 720p will be superior to 1080p and vice versa.

>family guy is better animated than most anime.

And the art looks like shit. I much prefer anime having good animation with amazing art than shit tier art with fluid animation.

family guy looks more fluid.

>I much prefer anime having good animation with amazing art
yeah, well, you'll get neither with modern anime

FLAC is the only logical format for archival. Newer, superior lossy formats will be developed in the future. When that happens, it'll be good to have FLAC audio archived to convert it to the new lossy hotness. It's obviously unwise to convert from lossy to lossy.

Why can't you properly capitalize and punctuate? You type like a retarded 12 year old.

sorry my keybard is broken

Sup Forums isn't exactly a writer's conference lmao

MUH ROTATIONAL VELOCIDENSITY

That's not an excuse.

i was just being hnest

Nice pasta.

>tubes
>for anything but guitar amps

>FLAC audio archived to convert it to the new lossy hotness
Are you high or something? Why the hell do you want to convert the lossless format to lossy? You already have a perfect quality. Any lossy format, no matter how efficient, will be worse by definition.
It's just hardly anyone would benefit from lossless audio if something like 192 kbps AAC is available.

First of, "4K" is a marketing term, as demonstrated by your pic. And even films mastered at "4K" are downscaled to 1080p. Secondly, higher resolution transfers/animation won't make lower resolution suddenly absolute. Many shows like, say, Texhnolyze and WttNKH, aren't even available above SD transfer quality, and yet are perfectly watchable nonetheless. And then there's the fact no anime is drawn resolutions higher than 1080, so adopting higher resolution isn't going to happen. Also, the Industry can't even move to higher fps animation of 24 fps, nor even hope to reach 60fps. The Industry is stagnant, and "4K" will only come as a marketing gimmicking at most.

I admittedly still watch Family Guy, but fuck no. The animation has diminished so damn much to the point that anime as a whole is more expressive. A lot of the time it even resorts to tweens, especially noticeable in slower movements. The CG is even worse than anime. If being fluid, but puppet-like is good to you, then whatever. I might take you seriously if you were talking about The Simpsons, which actually is more expressive, even when it became HD

Fuck off, retards.

Graphics tablets still produce a raster image. Vector are is still a very, very niche field. Ever notice how Sup Forums doesn't even support SVG uploads?.

Vector graphics require shapes to be created procedurally, which is not how artists think or do. I've never even seen so much as a vector webcomic.

Are you fucking retarded? Try doing a blind test between FLAC and a lossy file like opus at, say 192kbps.
Sure on paper it's worse, but we as humans are not able to hear that difference.

>huge (100+gb)
How big is mine then?

I have three TBs of animu. A big chunk of it is horriblesubs bullshit that I replace when the rips come out. I'm not gonna replace my entire collection when the rips I have now are just fine.

>the human eye is unable to perceive more than 30 fps

>Sure on paper it's worse
Enough for me

>Enough for me
literally retarded

Mayoiga didn't have bad animation though.

Is there a source or something where you can see the drawn/broadcast resolutions of anime?

I usually download in 720 for broadcasts then 1080 for BDs, but if the BD is just an upscale is there even any point?

I miss Daiz sharing his vast knowledge in threads like these. Wherever he is now, he's surely doing good deeds

wow learn to type

That's some shit taste.

You won't be able to tell the difference with human ears. If you have the storage and don't care for bloat, sure, go ahead and keep them. I do it myself.
But when you say you can hear the difference between lossless and a good lossy file from that lossless file, you're a liar and/or placebophile.

>Why the hell do you want to convert the lossless format to lossy?

>you're a content provider to the Internet who may wish to re-release a show in the future with superior audio than your previous lossy audio release
>you watch anime on a different device than the one with the archive on it, and storage space is at a premium on the non-archive device, so you keep anime with Coalgirls-tier video encodes and FLAC audio on the archive device and more reasonably encoded video with lossy audio on the other

There's reasons. It'll be a positive for the anime world if people have FLAC audio archived when new, superior lossy formats surface.

I usually just check anibin.

There's a loss of detail at some point like with cels, hand painted ain't infinitely detailed.

Japs usually don't use vectors, from what I recall only Ping Pong used vectors.

I know. Notice the name of the drive.

>You won't be able to tell the difference with human ears.
how do you know

This user is correct. They've done studies on this. 192kbps mp3 is the threshold for audibility of difference between lossy and lossless. It's still wise to archive lossless audio, though, since there may come a day where a superior file format can achieve transparency at a lower bitrate. Opus might be able to do it already, and I'm sure there will come along a file format better than Opus.